How many miles before an oil change?

I read online that people change their oil every 3k, 5k, 8k, 10k, or 20k miles. I don't know what number it is! I also do not know what type of oil and filter they use.

This picture says every 25k miles. I have heard of people doing it every 10k with full synthetic oil or as little as 5k. I think using an aftermarket filter like a FRAM is better for your engine.

It would be great to know when to change your oil, so I can save money.

Depends what car and how often you're driving it. Ideally it's best to replace as often as possible but that's a huge pain in the ass and synthetic oil is expensive. Worth checking the owner's manual to see when it needs changing. If it's an older car a bit earlier than the recommended date. Oil keeps your car nice and healthy and it's worth it.

Do whatever your manual says

I change it whenever the parts stores have those sweet deals of synthetic + filter for like $25

Suck my dick oil lords!

I dunno, dude. I drive an old XJ (Jeep). I change my oil every 5,000 miles or every 6 months (whatever comes first) with Pennzoil High Milage 5W-30 and whatever not-Fram filter I feel like. I'm only at 150k, but it seems to be working out well so far. Personally, I wouldn't do it less than every 10k/12 months even with a newer car and full synthetic oil. I think the additives in the oils just degrade over time regardless of how expensive it is. You have to do a cost analysis for your particular vehicle and strike a reasonable balance.

i run vegetable oil in my car, have been for years i thought pap was senile but the old Bastard knows what he's talking about

less than 15 euro miles or 1 year maximum is my go to.

Changing oil is a fucking scam. I just add oil as it burns off. 187k miles and no issues.

True also gasoline is scam, car can just use water and they'll work perfectly
fuggin government

you should change your oil every 5k-7500 miles. It gives you a chance to get under the car and look around for any potential problems. If you go 10k or 20k you can miss things. Small problems can turn into big problems if not taken care of.

busrider here i have 3kgt with 146k miles on it, it rev very high before shifting if the transmission is cold, but once it heats up it shifts normal

do you know whats wrong?

i do it when my truck tells me to, which has been about 5-6k miles so far

For me I do a tire rotation with all my oil changes, so about every 5k. I don't have to be using synthetic but my car now is essentially new and I want to get it to the 200k+ mile club.

automatic?

yes

>buying an automatic 3000gt

how's the fluid level and condition? you either need fluid or the trans is fucked

fluids are fine did a complet flush of the transmission fluid, and discovered the previous owner chamged the filter with the exact aftermarket one i bought to replace it.
there was nearly no shavings in it so it mustve been changed prior to them trading it in.
it had 140k on it when i bought it
i also cant drive manual because i never got the chance to learn because everyone has autos fml

Oil change frequency largely depends on how and what you drive. If you put entirely highway miles on a 2015 Honda Civic base model and have yet to break 4000 rpm and never plan to, you can probably go 10k+ without an oil change. If you drive a 1996 RX-7 FD3S exclusively at track days, odds are you'll have to change the oil every 500-1000 miles or less if you really, really want to keep everything in good condition.

For an average car, with average driving, 3-5k is a good ballpark to change the oil in if you want to be on the safe side. If you think oil is a scam and want to be cheap, then you can let full synthetic get out to 7k or so, but I would never go past that without some sort of unusual circumstance such as example one. Choose within that interval based on where you think you fall on the scale of driving style.

The way I see it is that the more often I spend 50 bucks changing the oil, the lower the chance of spending 2-3 grand on a new engine. Changing the oil does nothing but good for the car, so the only reason to not change it at any given time is what you're willing to spend.

ahhhhh ha ha ha ha cant drive manual..... and you flushed the auto trans fluid, i would even bother doing the auto trans fluid, as the fluid fitted in the factory is not the same as the stuff you changed it with no where near it the genuine stuff is the best as its special the shit you buy off the shelf is some generic shit, not wise to flush it either as you are gonna give it more problems i would be surprised if you have real rough shifts through the gears.

Run good oil and go by the manufacturers recommendations.

I use Rotella T6 on all of my autos and on the girls car. Cheap, works amazing.

>Changing oil is a fucking scam. I just add oil as it burns off.
You still have to change the oil filter. Once enough sludge or combustion grunge clogs up the filter, the bypass valve opens more often. Eventually it remains open almost all the time due to the pressure needed to force oil through the clogged up filter media. With the bypass open, it isn't really filtering out the sludge and combustion particles anymore. That means your wear rate may go up.

Ahh, new year's fireworks are starting early. I hear some eager beavers firing them off now. Back to drinking.

>there are people on this board right now that don't change their oil every 2500-3000 miles religiously
Either I'm autistic or you are all wrong

>religiously
Most people here are not into religious ceremony. But you seem to be a self-admitted pharisee about changing oil. The "Change at 3000" advice started out decades ago when conventional oil was a lot worse than it is now. Engines have improved a lot since then too. Old engines also typically turned their oils black with deposits. In fact, lots of oil / filter service centers in those days even bought bulk oil that was not graded. Oil has come a long ways since then and many people have moved on to synthetic oil.

So that "change at 3000" is now obsolete advice. It only serves places like Jiffy Lube to repeat sayings like that in order to get you to come into their shop for those over-priced changes. It's $104 USD for a synthetic oil change at my local Jiffy Lube shop.

First, absolutly loving those triple dubs my man
Second, my car is 25 years old and needs it, and so are 95% of my fellow poorfags cars
Third, where the everloving fuck do you live here an oil change costs $104? My entire change costs me $30 for the synthetic oil and a nice high mileage STP filter at Autozone, $25 for a motorcraft one anywhere else

>My entire change costs me $30 for the synthetic oil and a nice high mileage STP filter at Autozone
You did that yourself so you saved on labor costs, hazardous waste disposal fees that businesses are charged by local governments, and shop cleanup fees. You also saved on the sales tax difference which is substantial as our sales tax is almost 10% now due to crime and homeless problems. A business must pay those fees which is in addition to the cost of oil and filter. My area is full of homeless and taxes to support them have gone up too. The $104 is at Jiffy Lube which is a chain of service centers doing all sorts of light duty services for passenger vehicles.

Where do you get your oil change candles and underwear????

busted solenoid

i have always changed my oil once every year since i started driving

>i have always changed my oil once every year since i started driving
What's the average number of miles you drive each year? Is it the typical 12,000 miles/year the insurance company uses for an average driver?

>not changing your oil after every time you drive your car
It's like you don't even care about your car.

>he still believes in the 3k oil change
Go on bob is the oil guy for 5 minutes and learn something, you're using 20% of your oil life.
My friend has a 95 Tacoma with 400k miles on it and changes the oil once yearly and drives it every single day, never done shit to the motor

Goddamn man, I really gotta start charging my friends for oil changes, only sister and momma get it for free.
Roman Catalytic supply stores usually carry wrenching robes, ignition candles, and Haynes bibles for the beggining Follower