Guess who blew a headgasket

Guess who blew a headgasket

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/KxGRhd_iWuE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

F

Busrider here, does that mean the entire engine is fucked?

Well I spotted it quite early so possibly not, though if I'd left it later I could have needed to skim the head and if I left it very late then the thing would be totally fucked

Literalloy a 5 minute job could have avoided this

Time to save up for an LS

how'd you find out? was she drinking coolant? milkshake oil? rough idle?

What job would that be?

swap the engine, if your gasket really is blown it would be more cost-effective in the long run to put a 1jz in it or something. If the head is blown, you have to take apart the engine, machine the heads because they are probably warped, get all the new parts and then put it back together. If you do that yourself it would be fine but if you're getting a shop to do it, that would be way to expensive.

Why the hell does everyone immediately go to the 1J-2J?

Build that 7M. Make the fanbois cry.

what job is that?

7M is a great engine if its built but it can be expensive to do so

>not replacing the head gasket yourself
>not milling the head yourself

that's fine if you have access to the tools. I don't know OP's situation though

retorquing the head gaskets dumb fuck

thats a lot longer than 5 mins and re-torquing the factory bolts doesn't always mitigate the problem

What the fuck is a head gasket and how do i torque it?
All i know how to do is change oil and rotate my tires, sorry.

A this ladies and gentlemen is your average millenial car enthusiast. There's a reason My MK3 supra is 15k on craigslist. It's so kids like you can't touch it

Not me

>tfw dad didnt teach you shit about cars
plz no bully

Don't be such an asshole, everybody starts learning somewhere

A head gasket is basically a seal that sits between the engine block and the cylinder heads (the top and bottom of your engine). It's supposed to stop fluids from leaking out of the break between those two parts. To keep the gasket in place, it's held in with bolts which can get un-torqued over time which leads to space opening up between the block and cylinder head.
If space opens up, air can get in, fluids leak out and can basically ruin an engine unless it's fixed before too much damage is done.

People fix it either by taking apart the engine and re-torquing the bolts or they take out the old gasket and bolts and replace it with new ones. It's better to replace everything. You can get away with re-torquing the bolts if your gasket isn't really leaking yet but the threads of the old bolts can stretch and can cause head gasket failure anyway.

MK3 supras had a spec error in the factory which caused the head bolts on the 7M not to be torqued to the correct spec so they will eventually fail. That's why most people will replace the gasket with an aftermarket one and the bolts with ARP head bolts. If done right and torqued to the correct spec (iirc, around 85-95 foot pounds) it will mitigate the issue.

Hope that helps

>buying a poorly engineered car

>what is a head gasket
are you serious

that seems like a rather simple process, thank you user!

yes very easy took me about half an hour

Also I strongly recommend upgrading to ARP head studs instead of bolts. They provide much higher clamping force and will prevent head gasket failure for much longer

>do this
>Best scenario: problem goes away
>Worst scenario: snap a head bolt
>Most likely scenario: Solves problem for ~500 miles
Just take a few days to do the head gasket jesus don't pull this shadetree bullshit

>How to change oil:
drain oil, remove filter, add oil
>How to rotate tires:
Put front tires on rear wheels, rear tires on front wheels.
>What is a head gasket?
Seals head and cylinder block
>How do I torque it?
take valve cover off. Find factory spec for head bolts. Buy a real (NOT harbor freight, you need to spend at least $100 if you want accuracy) torque wrench and follow the procedure

It sorta stuns me they run bolts, never opened an engine which did, they're even referred to as head studs where I live.

no one wants that piece of shit anyways nigger

Like that when I bought it, it doesn't run hot. Might not even be the cylinder gasket. Drives fine.

you probably have to take off some acessories such as water pump, exhaust manifold and probably pcv/egr stuff. i know nothing of the supra , but i'm sure you can find an online guide in a supra forum

>"Not I", said 7.

youtu.be/KxGRhd_iWuE

My mk3 and I are cheering you on, OP

Only because not enough people build them

Wtf? Who told you this shit? If the head or block is warped, it's not gonna make a difference if you leave it late.

>guy asks a simple question
>your annoying ass berates him for doing so

Assholes like you are why people don't know shit about cars. they ask one (1) question and they get attacked by some fucker who was raised in a car family.

>an LS

Know a guy who has blown multiple ones on those.

Ignore it. Mr furry took his trip off.

>you actually drove a 7M with the original headgasket

Why didn't you replace it as soon as you bought the car you turkey?

Is your friend a retard? He either bought a piece of shit to begin with or did something super to it to blown up 'multiple' LS.

You don't even need to "build" the 7M unless you want to make stupid power. Just put a metal headgasket on it and up the boost......

>Toyota
>Poorly engineered

The story I heard is they banned asbestos right before the car was set to be released or as it was being built or whatever - so they had to do a last minute make-shift fix.
Sure I suppose it's still their fault but you can't blame them too harshly.

Once you swap that gasket they're supposedly a very good car.

>Just put a MHG on it.
You need to deck the block and head to ensure that this is actually a solution. If not you can just blow the thing again. I like the 7m in theory, but I don't recommend anybody put that kinda stress in there life. My Supra broke me.
t. Two headgaskets and a knocking rod.

I've heard a few stories of dudes who bought an HKS MHG and ARP studs and never had a problem since.
I've done a few headgaskets and never decked a block in my life, decking a head is

Skimmed, decking a block is called that cause the top of the block is the deck.

>autism the post

You realise you're on Veeky Forums right?

I'm pretty sure "to deck" something means to flatten it (like a deck) and the only reason a block is called "the deck" is because it's flat like a deck.
If you're going to sperg at least sperg correctly.

Skimming is a universal phrase, decking only applies to a block, for the simple reason the top of the deck of the block.
I skim turbocharger turbine housings and manifolds daily, I've never decked a head.

Top of the block is the deck, was sposed to say.

decked, deckĀ·ing, decks
1. To furnish with or as if with a deck.
2. Slang To knock down: He decked his sparring partner.

If you're going to sperg at least sperg correcty.

Ohh I'll sperg don't worry, I'm a machinist by trade and a fabricator for a living, you don't deck a head, you skim or machine it.

>tfw you bought a MK3 with no mechanical knowledge
Man I was just asking to get fucked wasn't I? (not op btw)

Oldfag here the m engine head design is junk.

I wish more would 1uzfe swap

You deck anything you want to make flat (like a deck), it's where the term comes from.
>I'm a machinist by trade
Which I suppose is why you're unable to see the bigger picture, the term "decked, decking, to deck" is not exclusive to motor machining, it has a history which predates the automobile, if you're going to sperg at least sperg correctly.

The head bolts are under torqued from the factory.
58 ftlbs if I remember correctly which is hilariously low for a straight 6 turbo engine.
The 7M is pretty much bullet proof otherwise and can ever with stand alot of boost on stock internals.
Shave the head, install a metal headgasket with ARP studs and the problem is forever solved. If you can afford 400$ in parts then you can't afford the car.

What exactly are we talking about user, cause I was pretty sure it was machining heads in the automobile industry.

I thought we we talking about machining heads too until some sperg cunt decided we needed to delve into the intricacies of the English language and now that we're delving too deep he's decided he wants to come back up to the surface for air.

I think correcting the massive understeer that was occurring is closer to the mark, you were pushing wide pretty badly user.

7mge are shit head designs the end

Also wanting to do what OP is but I haven't fucked my head gasket up yet. Can someone explain how you shave the head in preparation for a might? Can't find any real guides to the shaving part specifically.

MHG* not might ffs

you sound like a piece of shit and i hope your 2018 is terrible

>I wish more would 1uzfe swap
That (with turbos) is the plan for mine. Its a long way out to be sure, but I want to get my 7m to about 400hp and swap a 6spd in before I do it.

Me?

>Exaggerating.
I'm not. I have a mk3 supra that's had the headgasket replaced twice, then started knocking like the LAPD. I like the car, but every time I saw condensation in the morning from a cold start I'd have a small panic attack. It's sitting in my driveway waiting for a new heart.

Noticed some steam from the exhaust but I put that down to cold weather, then when I was getting groceries as I was leaving i noticed for the first time that the temp gauge was getting a bit hot, I checked the oil and it was a bit chocolatey

I was told by the previous owner that the engine had been rebuilt and he showed me receipts, I assumed the head would have been fixed during that

I would prefer to swap a 1JZ but I don't have the time, money or the space at the moment so I might just have to get a garage to change the gasket for me and hope the head isn't warped

I don't have access to the tools or space

I'm actually pretty amazed by how well this car drives, it feels 600kg lighter than what it is and is still pretty fast in a straight line, very satisfying car and there are no squeaks or rattles anywhere. The whole thing feels super solid, shame about he torque spec.

the head probably isn't warped since the car has always sat rock solid in the operating temperature range, I only noticed once yesterday that as I was accelerating my temp gauge was rising fast, but this car has never overheated

thank you for the support

This guy is not me, I am the OP

If you have the money put in a 1uz

I'm tempted to sell and get something else