Miata/MX-5 RF

Guys, I’m fucking obsessed with this car. Talk me out of it, I have the money but I should buy something practical like a sedan or SUV because my wife and I will have kids in 1-2 years.

Other urls found in this thread:

mx5oc.co.uk/forum/yaf_postst104751_Oh-Dear---MX5-least-reliable-convertible.aspx
youtube.com/watch?v=o-5qfOg_hZE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>MX5
>Wife
Pick one.

>MX-5
>Some autistic thing

>my wife will have kids in 1-2 years.
Cuck

yep if you have kids theres no way around buying a giant suv

Kek

Im trying to talk my wife into a ugly crossover so I can drive around in my hairdresser sportscar.

why not both?
RF for fun and high MPG commuter car/grocery getter/weekend car
also you can get a car seat in there, do some father-kid bonding

then also get some boring ass older suv for your wife

tell her big tall heavy SUVs have a significantly higher risk of rolling over then show her SUVs failing the moose avoidance test that they do to scare her

>wife

Just get her a wagon. What the fuck is your obsession with SUVs?

Longtime girlfriend and I both daily Miatas, because fuck it. You're young once, enjoy it.

High mpg? You know the RF gets whit mpg for a car of it's size, power and class right?

27/36 is bretty gud overall but yes it's not as gas sipping as a souless shitbox economy car

Underclass weebs pls leave
At the moment she drives an CX-3 and I drive an Passat CC 3.6VR6. I try to talk her in to a CX-5 as family car and Miata for me as weekend Racer.

do it op
dont listen to them issa cool car

Or a BMW 220i that's faster and more fun as well as much better on gas.

The Miata is a big step down from the CC.

>weekend racer
Get a real car with a V8 faggot

i like the 2 series chassis and all but, the miata is a totally different feeling of lightness

Trips of truth.

Well I drove the CC now for 4 years, it’s a cool car especially after installed the supersprint headers and muffler but I had so much problems with electronic parts which broke down. I want a little sportscar now.

buy something dumb, cheap and big like an old explorer, Tahoe, or Crown Vic and THEN BUY YOUR SEXY NEW MX5

IT'S GENIUS

You will have more problems with an ND

mx5oc.co.uk/forum/yaf_postst104751_Oh-Dear---MX5-least-reliable-convertible.aspx

Holy shit that’s genius

Get a Fiat 124 Spider. It's about the same weight, power, and size, but looks 20x better.

Forgot pic.

drivetrain is different though. it's got the beefier NC manual trans which can take loads more torque, and the 1.4 turbo out of the 500 abarth
however the stock tuned powerband in that car is god awful. a flash evens out the torque curve and makes the car much better but from the factory it has a big peak around 3k but nothing before and after.

but man it does look cooler. i wish more used ones had the matte trunk and hood. looks ricer but i like it

Well I think that the MX-5/Miata looks a lot better, especially the RF.

>MX-5 RF is as expensive as a Mustang GT in Canada
Fucking why

Yeah, the rf looks great.

Not once have I seen a new Mx-5 (and there are plenty of them out there) and thought, "wow that looks really good". The one and only time I have seen a 124 Spider I thought "hot damn that car looks fantastic" then do a double take and remember the 124 Spider is a real thing, a real good looking thing.

The 124 Abarth look gorgeous in person

insurance will be cheap as fuck on those old boats, and they're dead easy to fix and relatively save, while being spacious and comfortable and easily given features to bring them up to modern convenience levels (i.e. new touch screen android auto/carplay radio, heated seats, shit like that). Get one with 4x4, and you'll have the ultimate grocery getter, year round mommy mobile that your wife will enjoy driving. they're very affordable, so you could buy that with cash, then finance your toy at a reasonable rate and then literally everyone wins. Your wife will like to take sunday drives in the FagMobile, you get to drive it whenever you want, and your kids will love doing riding cockpit while you do hektik skidz. They can also learn to drive in it, with it's fun, safe, and approachable limits, all while the sweet little Mazda instills a love for automobile pleasure in them that will burn for their whole life. And your wife will have fond memories of the car and your kids with it, so she won't ever have a desire to get rid of it.

I just made your life fucking great.

until:

>"Why did you buy a new car and I get an old one, user? you only think about yourself"
>"That car is unsafe, we can't have our kids driving in that. Sell it so we can buy them a civic/we can cover some other expense"

They both look good, I personally prefer the miata. The curves look extra good in the sun. BRB going to my driveway

buy the miata and then later trade it in for a better car when you have kids who the fuck cares you dont have to keep the same car for the rest of your life

do it OP

>supporting a shitty business that STILL makes these in softtop convertible and only just now built a targa top
>not going to a stealership and vandalizing the soft tops to send a message to Mazda to finally make these in coupe forms.

I don't even understand what their issue is. Its so easy to make this the perfect car. Its like the Pontiac solstice. All the shitty useless covertible versions are 5 grand, and the targa top is 40 grand. Its pretty obvious what the people actually want. Why do these companies keep shoving convertible garbage down our throats? Enough is enough, no one actually uses that or wants it

The Mazda Miata is the car that Mazda WANTS to make. They're like the only car company left that actually gives a shit about their own cars it seems. The miata is first and foremost a roadster, not a coupe sports car.

Explain driving is a hobby and something your very interested in and if she can't except you and move on, divorce.

If they made a coupe miata it would literally be the perfect vehicle

Beacuse shockingly people also like droptops, they're cheap and thru dint cost 1000 dollars to replace.
Also your example is shit, the targa top costs so much beacuse it's rare, if everyone actually wanted one there would be a lot more

TUNE IT
U
N
E

I
T

Here's how you do it:

>Buy Mazda Miata for you
>Buy Mazda CX-9 for her and kids

Everyone wins that way. Present the Miata as a practical city car that gets good mpg and isn't hard to drive in traffic because of size, and then show the comparisons in handling between the CX-9 and some roll-happy SUV to show her how safe it is.

Just checked the canada website. What the fuck?

i don't think op has the cash for two new cars, but used last gen CX-9's are alright

>I have the money but I should buy something practical like a sedan or SUV
Buying a new SUV/ Sedan is the least practical and most cucked thing you can do. If all you need to do is safely transport you and yous kids for a to b, you don't need to spend 30k-40k on a cuckwagon. Yet people do this every fucking day then complain constantly about how high the car payment is. You could buy an an older Miata AND an older camry or civic for a fraction of what a new cuckwagon costs.

for barbie

Just get a used Mazda3, V30, or Fiesta for your wife and kids.
Or an older Rav4 before they got fuckhuge.

Don't get the RF unless you're going to tune it, imo. It needs more power for its extra weight. Get the club model.
If you are going to tune it, though, then yeah get the RF.
Maybe get a year old model that's already depreciated some and buy the second car with those savings.

That Explorer or Tahoe will cost a lot in gas.

I think those headlights and cheek holes look stupid. The ND looks great. Even better in person than pictures.

Yeah. Something like a Subaru Outback or just a small sedan is an option for the family car, too.
Should primarily be looking at maintenance, insurance, and gas costs on that second vehicle. Don't look at the upfront cost so much.
afaik big SUVs cost more to insure because people who drive them are more likely to damage others vehicles and be at fault in a crash. In a no-fault state, it may be different.

You could get an FD and overnight the rear kiddie seats from Japan.

Or a Eunos Cosmo.
I guarantee you that kids who grow up being driven to school in a Eunos Cosmo will grow up to be smart and successful. It is a thing of wonder.

>i wish more used ones had the matte trunk and hood.

you dont see them because its a $2000 factory option you can get some Mexicans to do for $500 after you buy the car.

Checked because truth. Why the fuck do you stupid cunts think SUVs are practical? Get a mx5 and then buy the wife a nice hatchback because you don’t need to drive inside a fucking brick to move children around!

nigger wheels

a lot of cars are overpriced up there for some reason, Fiat Spider Abarths go for close to $50k while you can find new ones under $30k in the US.

Tune is coming first of the year. Ordered exhaust for Xmas, so this will be me shortly:

youtube.com/watch?v=o-5qfOg_hZE

I can't disagree, desu. Hard to find really good clean Cosmo pictures.

Stop being a cuck and buy a cheap NA or NB then, and then buy a decent used SUV.

If you have the money for a brand new MX-5 you have more than enough money to get both cars used.

The NA coupe concept is literally the car I plan on custom building one day. Hell, they actually made these with the NB but only make like, 170 of them.

One day user, one day I will buy an NA, strip and rebuild it, and custom build a coupe.

There's gotta be a special level in hell for people that put Miatas on LPG.

they actually made a decent amount of the NB coupes, you should just buy and import one of those for like $15k

it's a lot for an NB, but it's a very unique and cool car to mod

>I will have kids in 1-2 years.

Is the difference between the 1.6 and 1.9 NBs noticeable? 110 hp seems so low for a sporty car

Yes.

And the ND is really a far superior car to its predecessors unless you're really clinging to that "old, archaically engineered car" nostalgia of the NA and NB.
The ND is engineered better than most exotics are. It just isn't made of exotic materials and has a Mazda badge. The NA is just... what it sounds like when you think of a lightweight early 90s roadster.

A reoccurring theme in Miata reviews is that it's really tight for space, even uncomfortably so.
Would I have any issues in an NB at 5'11 (179cm)?

I think at 5'11 you'd be fine, though I think the ND or NC would be more comfortable.
Try one and see.

thank god, it's going to be a completely different and much better car

wrong, it's going to be the same car with more powar

well, if he goes for a power tune yes, i was referring specifically to the tunes that just flatten the torque curve significantly. the engine and turbo and more than capable of it BUT for some reason at the factory they chose to have this awful to drive peaky as fuck curve

a lot of people confuse tarbo rush with UHMAHGARD CAR IS FAST so that's probably why they picked that curve

From what I've read only around 500-1000 were made. I wouldn't really call that a decent amount.

Still, they are unbelievably good looking. Like a teeny, tiny little Jag.

So it's only about 15x more rare than an FD.

But yeah, the styling of the NB really looks better as a coupe.
I hate their look as a roadster but I like the coupe version, somehow.

Mazda has always been so weird about releasing a MX-5 coupe. I could kind of understand it when the RX was still a thing, as they didn't want to cannibalize RX sales, but these days it's ridiculous that they don't just give in and make a Mazdaspeed MX Coupe or something.

Actually found one on a local import website, and it's the super special A-Type, of which only about 40 were made.
$41k

The RX-Y Type R next to it on the listing was literally half the price, at about $22k.

When it all comes down to it, yeah it's cool and all, but you are really paying for a top of the line 18 year old car. I'd much rather buy an NB or NA for $6k and have an interesting project to build. Thing about a project, is that I could make it exactly how I wanted it, especially with things like upholstery and such.

>what could have been

I feel like at this point the RF is the best we're going to get, and really that's okay with me for a modern car. I do want a classic coupe though, and that's my eventual goal.

underrated snarkpost

the RF's blindspots are actually insane having been in it
absolutely ridiculous desu

Yeah they're pretty bad from what I heard. A lot of sports coupes are pretty bad though in general, I know my R33 is a bit of a shocker with blindspots. Still fucking sexy though.

RF looks better.

My only complaint about the RF is that it doesn't seem to add any rigidity.
Oh, and the fake black plastic windows behind the real windows... fuck. I don't get why they couldn't have at least used acrylic there.

Shit.
I'd rather get a Cosmo for $12k.

Yeah they are stupidly expensive. Worst part is apparently the bottom two trims can't be imported, at least not into Aus for some reason I can't find. I don't want the 1.6, but the base 1.8 is the most produced version and thus logically the cheapest.

I wish Fiat would just stop this whole shitshow and take the RF to make an RFiata.

Are these original Mazda tires?
I'm buying an NB and was sent this pic. It looks like it says Fiat on them.

nvm it actually say Rial and they're not original ones

Even in a -30 climate, I'd still take the soft top and save on weight/cost/visibility. It'll be colder, oh well

>that exhaust note
damn that sounds meaty

fellow yuropeans
is 3000 euro too much for an NB with a hardtop and 120,000 KM?

Picked one with the wrong headlights tho
Looks gross

OP, i'm in the same position.

DO IT.

Get a cheap ass second hand family car and buy the miata.

>being a family van man

Dont deny yourself little joy in life.
Imagine one day as a family man being frustrated, annoyed and tired. Then you go to the garage and find a boring ass crossover or a SUV.
The miata will be your savior.

ND bro here,

Literally just got home doing high speeds on highway.

Fucken love this car, this car is all about the buildup. You hve to wring it out because its not powerful but once it gets their goddamn it feels so good.

Fucken do it, have owned mine for 1 year. Has been absolutely fantastic, surpressing intense urgers right now to modify it

get it now since you still have no kids. having real sports car that's not making any compromises for "practical" stuff is one of best Veeky Forums things to experience.

Since no miata gen, I'll ask here: wtf is with people over pricing used miatas? Do they not have access to blue book values. Its insane. I want an nb, and regularly see them with over 100k with a >7k price tag. Its like 10 to 1 crazy prices to reasonable prices. I'll see nc's 5 or 6 years newer for less money all the time. Does anyone actually pay over twice what the blue book value is for these things? I guess I'll just low ball until I find one.

Fuck your wife, and stupid kids that aren't even born yet, holy shit buy the car, make her get a car to carry the children since you'll probably be cucked into paying for her car anyways.

give a 3800 shitbox to your wife and get the miata.

Why does everyone put steel wheels with their winter tires? Don't tell me it's to add weight so it controls better