Hi Veeky Forums, first time poster here

Hi Veeky Forums, first time poster here.

As I was driving home last night, with the road conditions being fairly bad, I had a pretty bad accident in my car. With some snow on the ground, I attempt to make a turn at a rate of speed that was clearly just a bit too much, and I lost control of my car, and it hit forcefully into a curb that was perhaps 3/4 of a foot.

The impact was violent, enough so that the airbag was deployed and the horn of the car began to blare. I was shaken and extremely stunned, but physically I was perfectly fine.

The impact happened on the front drivers side of my car. There seems to be visible damage to the frame beneath, and there is a visible crack on the bumper now.

Being a man that knows absolutely nothing about vehicles. I guess my first question becomes, assuming you can access the extent of the damage with photos, just how bad the car is?

I feel so horrible for inconveniencing my family by having this happen around the holidays. :(

>airbag deployed
to the insurance company that's totaled

Here is a closer photo of beneath the car. I'm not a professional but this doesn't look good.

>now.
Take it to a shop and have them check the frame alignment. Tell them what happened and BE HONEST

Fuck man. This was literally my worst nightmare. I desperately hope that is not the case, but I'm totally expecting it.

This is what I'm going to have to do. Christ man, I hope I didn't ruin the alignment on my cars frame. This is so tragic.

just call your insurance company, it's a new car; not worth driving it around fucked up for years due to being to scared/cheap to pay the deductible

That's ultimately what I'm going to have to do. I suppose the extent to which this vehicle is damaged will not be known until I have it examined by a professional.

Sadly, after doing some research, it seems that cars often, though are not always considered totaled when the airbag is deployed. Additionally, airbags are expensive components and can run into the thousands of dollars.

I am such an idiot. ;_;

Learn to drive carefully in the snow, my mans. Also, get some god damn good snow tires. Those look like all seasons or shitty snows and if you're not a complete autismo, you'd know that those won't cut it.

But that does suck. Best of luck and hopefully it doesn't get totalled out.

get the frame pulled and aligned by a shop, then just rip the airbags that deployed out and get a different wheel. disconnect the airbag light so it passes inspection and boom, nothing happened. just don't crash again.

Thank you for the kind words man. I should have driven with much more care in those conditions. Thankful to be okay, but I'm gutted about my poor vehicle.

No problem. Also, you're lucky that it was only the driver bag that went off. You might have a chance because none of the others popped too. Depending on how extensively you bent up the frame, there's a smidgen of hope that all isn't lost.
But to be totally real, frame damage is a huge problem. Depending on what your car is valued at, not even considering the fact that the airbag went, they might total it anyways.
Just call your insurance ASAP, but I would also be on the lookout for a new car in case it does go to shit, just saying.

i just have to ask. whats it like having the airbag go off? is it as scary as everyone says?
t. only drives old shitboxes that dont have them

Canadian Insurancefag here, your car is probably a write off. If the frame is damaged it's almost impossible to repair.

Still, there's a TON of good, salvageable parts on that car so they may not be too dickish when they increase your rates. They look at the settlement and their total recovery, and in this case there's a lot they can sell to vendors.

Just because the airbag went off doesn't automatically make it a writeoff, but if you have bent the frame that probably sealed it.

Literally the only good person in that lineup is Chris Harris.

>your average civic owner

>writes for Jalopnik
Yeah, no.

American insurancefag here. I agree with the Leaf. If there was even remotely any bending in the frame, it's a write off. Your Civic isn't worth enough to justify spending the money to pull or bend the frame back into place.

Have you seen the man's YouTube chanel before he got drafted onto Diversity Gear? He's a fucking great driver and video journalist.

It truthfully wasn't as terrifying as I would have imagined, but that was also after the shock of realizing that I had no control at all over my steering. I was essentially driving on a saucepan.

The bag deployed the instant I hit the curb. There was a loud bang, not nearly as loud as a gunshot but almost like a low-powered firework. The smell of some sort of chemical suddenly went into the air, and some smokey fumes came off of the steering wheel.

All of these things were a first for me, and hopefully a last.

>t. shingo
It's OK, you can talk to us

>civic
>hits a curb
Checks out

>hit a curb
Sure you didn't try to double crash someone?