Is the manual meme worth the money?

Is the manual meme worth the money?

I have realized nearly every shit box even a Civic manual is meme taxed, im just starting to wonder if the manual gear box meme is even worth it?

I am 25 years old now and all my peers are slowly transitioning into auto's, just the other day my close friend baught a auto r35, and months before that my other friend bought a auto camaro, both of them were saying they were contemplating buying the Manuals but if you were to look at the market you were looking at a $4000-6000 difference price, i am starting to think hmmm auto is the right way to go but manual is what i like

i am just starting to think why i like manual so much?

Since I'm American, I grew up learning automatic and I learned how to drive manual for my second car. This is just a personal thing, but I'll probably never drive auto again. Since learning manual, I've gotten way too bored with driving my parents' auto. It's just too mind numbing, and it never feels like I have enough control. The fact you are even considering manual means you should just buy manual.

I spent the past week or so driving various busted familams auto things of various kinds. Some did better than others.

But it felt so damn good to get back in to my car and row the gears around. idgaf what they care about; it makes me happy and I have a good and controllable time.

Manuals arent better just a different experience a more engaging driving experience.
Also a manual is cheaper to maintain and they are generally more robust. And they wont outdate like the autos, the next gen camaro will have a 16 speed tripleclutch auto but the manual stays virtually the same.
Thats why they hold their value better
In America manual cars are almost for enthusiasts only, so the dealers wont sell as many as autos, and when buying used an enthusiast is willing to pay 4-6k more to get the gearbox he enjoys driving because they are rare.

They're usually cheaper than autos

as new, used they are likely to be more expensive, even with more miles

What cars are you looking at? It sounds like you have a bee in your bonnet for a used manual.

It's a trivial but satisfying feature for me. The tactile connection to the machine makes some autistic part of me satisfied. With automatic, I start getting grumpy, even if it's a good automatic that will hang at redline all day and snap off neck-breaking fast shifts. Same thing goes for electronic shifters on bicycles now that I think about it. I once nearly flung a $7000 bike off a cliff out of irritation because of the shitty mouse click feel of the Di2 shifters and the shitty noise that the motors.

Because Autos are more expensive to repair when they shit the bed.

In the US manuals are more expensive used. Especially in a sports car like a Vette or Porsche where it could be $5-6k more.

It’s more that the older sports cars sold autos to old boys wanting the sports car but not really into cars.

When they get 5+ years old nobody in the market isn’t an enthusiast so the autos never sell and prices drop

if your buying a sports car get a manual if your buying an econobox get auto. Don't settle for the watered down version. Unless your buying a proper dual clutch your wasting your money.

That's because used old autos usually have issues

Yeah, like being in a sports car.

I live outside of a major city and my drive involves straight roads with wheat fields on each side. I can either drive an automatic Camry or a manual Fiesta diesel. When you have a long drive, anything that keeps you focused on the road in front of you is a good thing.

The Fiesta also gets 51MPG with air-con and stereo on so it's not even close.

>Fiesta
Do these sell like gangbusters in Spanish places?

early dct are unrealiable and most arent even fast, they are a piece shit now, and in 5-10 years the current dct will also be shit, thats their problem.
>expensive to fix
>outdate

I noticed all my friends doing the same. I realise that I’m the car guy and I’ve been influencing their purchases up until now and still do as they ask me for advice.
They’re no longer choosing manual transmissions though. I haven’t changed...But have no pics of my ute on this new phone

Nice bait
Also R35s only come in auto

Sage

Definatelly. 1000$ less the car price, fuel economy*

dumbass, econobox autos are fucking garbage too. if you're a piss baby you can't commute with a manual, get an auto in your econobox. manual is even better in shitboxes with no hp because you have more control over your rev range and dont have to rely on some shitty cvt that picks "gears" based on how its feeling at that particular moment. on god you probably actually ride the bus or have a 2015 auto shitbox you're financing./

>tfw I got my modern fully loaded shit box for 4k under value because it was a stick shift

Thanks normies

You're going to be in high gear and not use the clutch at all so I don't see the benefit.

the only time you ever want an auto is if you're in a higher end car like a 911 that comes with a good DCT, like PDK. or you're in a super car that has a good smart gearbox that knows when to shift, and you have control over shifting and such, THEN the car is genuinely faster than manual, and besides driving feel, better. otherwise you want a manual, since your garbage shitbox is not going to have a good auto tranny.

Agreed 6/10 for getting so many people to respond.
Sage

Why would you spend the money on a Porsche if you can't even shift gears and feel comfy in it?

it's only a meme to americans because you fat fucks can't drive

Some people care about track times or live in a city with congested traffic so they don’t want to row the gears through it. Besides, PORSCHEDOPPELKUPPLUNGSGETRIEBE is an excellent transmission.

>live in a city with congested traffic so they don’t want to row the gears through it
u wot m8

Cities and congestions are the best place to row gears. Had a good stint in NYC a couple times in the past week. It's too bad about all the 3rd world drivers and old people the have these days.

Most people don’t like driving a manual in heavy traffic

>Is the manual meme worth the money?
Yes
>i am just starting to think why i like manual so much?
Obviously

I don't get why not. I've done it all my life except to get my learner's permit and take the test. What's wrong with manual in traffic? It just makes it easier to control.

for a daily driver with a lot of traffic automatic is better, and nope i have a 1j swapped 280z(manual of course) and mercury milan for the daily. 2 different cars for 2 very different types of driving

if some AMG models came with a stick, then i would have more dream cars that were benzs

modern top teir dcts are amazing hence why pic related uses them. Sure the dct in a vw is gonna be shit but in the top of the line cars they are amazing and they are faster. I would always prefer manual but to each his own.

forgot to add pic

I'm starting to think "meme" is being converted into a meaning that isn't what it originally meant.

What the fuck are you even saying "meme taxed?"

4-6k difference should favor the manual. After changing out 3 clutches, you still would save money over the automatic. And don't get me started on prices to fix a blown auto tranny.

Manuals give you control over the car. Yes, you can race an automatic. Yes, you can weight shift it, too. But if you notice all automatic transmissions raced in all motorsports have manual selection. Because you need to control what gear you are in. If you don't race, and it sounds like your friends are posers, I would say either join their club, or stick to reality. If you don't race, then this isn't a question. Join their club.

For longevity's sake, manuals are better, for now at least. Something abysmal like 3% of cars sold in America are manual, so manual transmissions (and parts) for newer cars are becoming pretty rare.

But repairing a manual transmission and general maintenance are much, much easier than on an auto. It's well within reach for any garage mechanic to take a manual transmission apart and put in new bearings and synchros, effectively rebuilding the damn thing. Not so much with an auto. Generally speaking, manual transmissions are better on gas than autos are, but the gap's been pretty much bridged for newer model autos. Driving a manual transmission forces you to pay more attention to the road too, can't just drone out like you can with an auto. Some consider this a benefit ( I do), but each to their own. There's also the fact that less than 18% of America knows how to drive stick, so a thief might not even fuck with your car.

I think it really all comes down to preference though, how you like to drive, etc. From a purely economic utilitarian standpoint, manual is probably better.

kek, the decided to go auto, in that he could have bought something MANUAL but chose to just buy an auto r35

Im new to driving manual.
How do I launch faster without getting wheel hop?
If I let out the clutch even slightly too fast at anything above 700 rpms, the engine and transmission turn almost horizontal and I jump around completely stationary like I have hydraulics.

>used they are likely to be more expensive
Some of this can be due to rarity. Manufacturers have been making less manuals for years, to the point where some cost 50% more than the auto version.

that's more of the design of your car, look up how to fix wheel hop in x car. Could be something simple like bushings, on my vr6 jetta the wheel hopped like crazy until i replaced them because they were non existent before.

Too many DCTs are fucky with their gearing, though, with absurdly tall 1st and 2nd gears that make it impossible to wind out the engine without violating every speed law known to man.
I think that the MPG gap is starting to reverse, with autos being much better than manuals. That looks like it's going to be the case with Skyactiv-X, anyway.

That's a problem that manuals can and do have to though. The point im trying to make is get what you want and don't let someone else influence you.Manual dct and auto all have their places in and automobile.

Just to add generally there is no one on earth who would unironically prefer a manual in stop and go traffic.

I daily drive a manual car through stop and go traffic and I love it. I've been doing it for several years, too.

My shifting is damn near perfect because of it.

stock clutch and what car if you dont mind me asking
I just like having a slow shitter for the day and a fast weekend car. It makes me drive like a good ol chap. I would never want to drive my z in stop and ago there is no way that would be more enjoyable that my comfy shitbox.

Go with what you like. Dont cuck yourself like your friends. So waht you have to pay a little more. Fuckin autos. Im sick of them.

manual and dont look back.

First off your friend with the GT-R is fucking retarded if he was contemplating getting the manual version. GT-R only comes in auto, as it is not a real sports car, and only serves to inflate the ego of the driver.

I don't know why manual costs more than auto on the market nowadays. It used to be the other way around, because an auto tranny costs more than a manual tranny.

Manual will probably save you money in the long run because of good maintainability and higher mpg than auto. As long as you know how to properly use the clutch, you should be good to go.

I always like how here in pizzaland we think the litiral opposite of amerisharts about transmission.
Manual is the way to go and always was, autos are just unreliable, expensive and most of all remove control of the car.

>muh leg hurt
even my grandma can drive a manual car around italy medieval towns without complaining about her legs

>muh keep shifting back and forth
the shifter is so light on day-to-day cars that you could change gear by blowing on the stick

For brand new cars there is no reason to go with the manual unless you like "muh fun to drive" or shit. Modern automatics are faster, more reliable, and more fuel-efficient. They often have 10 or more speeds while you're lucky to get even six speeds on the manual version.

For 80s-90s-00s shitboxes, yeah you should probably go with the manual if you can. It's only after the recession that carmakers really went to town on making automatic transmissions meet and exceed the manuals.

Fiat autoboxes are notoriously shit so no wonder

Not him, but I learned smooth driving an old manual impreza with a lightweight hot-spotted flywheel and a dodgy TPS sensor in stop and go. Now I'm superman.

You dont even have a car, you bus riding twat. You were literally admitting that yesterday. So sick of these stupid irrelevant new trip fags with a bus pass.

Drive a manual so that the Jew can't take the freedom of changing gears away from you.

>driving the automatic jew

this picture makes me regret getting my 987 with a PDK every single time I see it

nah the theorical MPG is higher because longer gears, and if it doesnt need to shift its the same but in real life you will still get lower MPG in my experience.
the engine revs way more than you would want it to rev in a manual, unless you override it manually it will get worst MPG.

Well I mean we're at the point where auto boxes are indeed faster and smarter than manuals, just look at how Alfa broke it's sedan record on the Burgering with the auto version of their car. CVTs just do better than manuals at mpg's, sometimes vastly better. But at the same time we're also at the point where an entirely computer driven car is faster than even some professional drivers as Audi has shown us. So I guess the question is, at what point does chasing numbers on paper come second to actually learning a skill-set being a driver, if ever? It feels like bench-racers that will never ever afford performance cars dominate the auto-enthusiast scene these days.

>my friend was thinking of buying a manual r35
Im sorry what?

True. I love having that control in my manual. If I want to be thrifty I can just short shift and when I want to be sporty I can let it rev higher. All the automatics I've driven just...seem...to...hold...gears.

I had to drive the senpaitachi autos over the holidays and it skewed my mind that they basically held a certain RPM through every gear like it was the old PowerGlide transmissions of yeserdecade.

What a pile of shit. So glad to get back in to my car afterward.

Got back from driving mine for an hour and a half, just for the hell of it.
Raced a McLaren.
Didn't win.

Why not get a car with a decent "sports automatic" transmission?
You get paddle shifters so you can pretend you're a racecar driver with a sequential gearbox. The only thing you'd be missing is a clutch.

We can also pretend it's not a dog tonight

nobody will know

Yes OP the manual meme is certainly worth the money.

looking at some 11-14 mustang 5.0s, should i get an auto since its a daily, or manual for muh feels

Go hard.

Get a manual with a non synchro 1+2 gear.

Depends on the deal but...manual. It will keep their value way better than the auto. After you get used to it you wont regret it

I drive manual because in my country manuals are cheaper.
It sucks to drive manual in the daily traffic, but when the traffic is flowing, manual is more fun.
Most automatic cars have some kind of tiptronic mode, don't they? So you can change gears if you want anyway.

if your Fiestas are anything like the US ones, then the manual is the only way to go. The auto/DCT boxes are on the verge of a recall in the US.