GT86/BRZ thread. I'm thinking about buying a 2017 model...

GT86/BRZ thread. I'm thinking about buying a 2017 model. I hear despite the lack luster power they are really fun to drive and easy to mod. I was hoping others own one or have had own one and would share experiences they had. I'm considering a drift build on one

Other urls found in this thread:

beastronix.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I was gonna buy a used one to turn into a drift rocket but then I figure might as well go for the new one because of the styling refresh

really good car

I prefer to buy new mostly because I don't trust previous owners. I wonder if I can roll over loans and trade in my current car.

Also automatic vs manual. Which would be better for drifting.

Ofc manual you cuck

rode shotgun on one decet driver driving BRZ with bc br coils, yellowstuff brakepads and PSS4 tyres.
Punched and got times faster than boxters and caymans. Was in the fast car group of people who did sub 1:35 times with 911's, vipers, track build bimmers and civics, but it was more of a curved track with one main straight where you can redline fifth. Lemme tell ya, toyobaru dont fuck around.

is this even a question?
Okay while toyobaru is a great choice just slow down for a fucking second and do research.

I've had one for a year and change. Past the honeymoon. Past the doubt. All the memes are true, but I still look forward to the excuse to tear around in it despite its faults. In fact I look forward to it more now that I know I like it because now I drive it like I don't give a shit and it's a car that shows its true colors only when you toss it around like the toy that it is.

It might not be the right car for you. It's easy for something about it to be a deal-breaker. But it's fundamentally a good car.

nearly passed this for another lexus thread

I've spent a lot of time researching it. Now I'm asking for others experiences.

That sounds pretty intense. I would hope I can do that

What would you say are some of its biggest faults. I'm aware of the lack luster engine

Oh wow....It’s almost as if the most important factor is the driver?

Literally no suprise there

Checked. It's such a compromise car that its faults really depend on what you want in a car vs. what you're willing to forgive in a car. Like for instance I could go on about the horrible sound system or the lack of a rear wiper, but those aren't really big issues for me. Neither is having a fancy interior (mine came in limited trim, which I've begrudgingly come to like so it's not like I'm driving an 80s shitbox again).

For me, I'd rather say it would be even better if it could somehow be smaller and lighter. It doesn't give you DAT FEELS when you're just coasting around like a proper roadster should. It gives you DAT FEELS when you're romping on it. The brakes are great, but the clutch is numb, and the drive by wire throttle is disconnected. The electric-assist steering is pretty good, it manages to be intuitive, but honestly I'd rather have a tighter rack and less boost and a little bit less rubber band at speed - it wakes up when you crank it, but it's a bit uncommunicative if you're driving with one thumb on the highway and then go to make a bit harder of a turn.

That sort of thing. I mean, drive one and you'll know right away about the important bits like that it's a rough ride and how big it is and that the radio unit sucks and the rest. If you're not looking to spend real money to get everything you want and you're more interested in the driving experience, then it's a brilliant car to put on the market.

Dump post from a dumb frogposter

Also I wouldn't say the engine is lackluster per se. It's lackluster for cruising around in or when people on the highway want to race you
>mfw people actually want to race me
I've never had people do that before. Perhaps they don't know it's slower than a minivan. Sorry if it looks nicer than your Altima or your Impala or your BMW with green headlights or whatever. Jeez.

But if you romp on the engine, it sings and you can dart through traffic like you're an Olympic ice skater while everybody else is a wax statue. Here again, it's rewards when you demand.

But it is strange that I have to wait so long for the transmission to spin down when shifting from 3rd to 6th instead of it snicking in. Hopefully that will improve when I swap out the gear oil this coming Spring.

I bought a used 2014 FRS last year. Wicked fun car! Great driving experience despite the lack power.

Are you fucking 12? These threads always continue to prove that only complete autists drive the Toyoboru.

Stick for drifting obviously.
But drifting a brand new $28K car is a fucking awful idea, especially if you are inexperienced enough you need to ask if you should buy stick or auto.

You need to learn to research things.

automatic is truly awful in this car. terrible gearing, can't launch, almost 2 seconds slower 0-60.

only advantage of auto is better slightly better MPG

Alright, just buy a used one from some guy, they're like 15K USD now. Or finance it at a toyota for a good rate. They literally look better and have the same interior and performance and you're saving 10-15k off MSRP + taxes fees.

I want to go to a dealer and test drive one this Friday when I'm off work. Then I'll know if it the car for me.

> (You)
>"Are you fucking 12?"

I love mine. Good as a daily and a canyon carver.

I don't see any flaws lol

?

>this instantly became my dream car the moment I saw it
>it costs 30k eurobucks brand new
>it costs about 30k eurobucks used
Two more years in the shithole known as Eastern Europe then I can hopefully get one
Speaking of, which should I get between BRZ, FRS and 86?

They're all about the same except the early FRS had stiffer rear springs. It pretty much comes down to price, availability, and which one looks nicer to you or has a preferable interior or whatever.

Do not pay 25k for something barely better than a 240sx. Atvleast get used

25k for a base entry level sports car is a good price, stop being poor

Both of you stop before this turns into a shitfest.
Pros of buying new: A good deal faster than a USDM 240SX, zero rust, zero shitty owners, OBDII, nice interior, warranty, etc.
Pros of used 240: much much much cheaper for a similar level of performance if you're willing to put in the time and effort to fix it up.
I wouldn't fault someone for either choice.

spending over 5k for a decent 240sx with cracked dash and problems up the ass doesn't seem wise

Also you can just go out and buy a new Toyobaru and probably even a certified used one and walk out with something that isn't a pile of problems.

Whereas you might be in for a hunt to find a 240 that you're not going to be swearing at in your driveway every weekend until you finally work out enough of the gremlins to live with it.

How is ride quality in Toyobarus?

Bumpy rough, and loud, and it's low enough that you'll have to worry about scraping sometimes for like parking lots or driveways that are very steep at the entrance. You'll learn to ease over speed bumps in parking lots and that the rear likes to bottom out if you don't. If you use the 17" wheels and put stiff tires on them, you'll also learn to keep your eyes out so you can dodge road imperfections.

But when you beat on it, the suspension will feel "right" and put up pretty well with rough roads, even if it doesn't exactly soak them up all smooth and sexy like.

I should perhaps add that the seats are a pretty good match for the bumpy ride. If you find in-car video of people driving them, you'll see them kind of bouncing up and down in the seat. Yes, this happens. But it takes the edge off rough roads. You just have to get used to bracing yourself a bit and letting the chassis and suspension do its job dealing with being tossed around a bit by the road.

Lol I spent 700

They perform very well I agree. Some faggot in his BRZ caught me every session.

Pretty embarrassing but I respect the car way more than a civic or fiesta.

Post pics, I wanna see what 700 bucks gets you

Probably this

wtf Veeky Forums isn't just shitting all over this car for once? Anyways, if you want a drift car, i'll tell you to skip it. They don't make enough torque to sustain nice drifts without adding boost. Maybe you can get away with just doing exhaust and tuning work as long as you stick to drifting shitty/skinny tires. Also, you'll be pretty upset when you smash your 15-26k car into a barrier. Instead, I'd suggest that you go for a 350z instead. Tons of torque and you should be able to find a decent example for 5k. Around 100k miles. Enough that it's cheap but not so many that it's going to be a neverending pile of problems for a few years.

Why would it be a dorifto car? You can get it mad if you want to, but it's no drifting bitch. It's just a simple jap car that goes sideways.

Yeah I agree. Buying new I won't have to deal with someone who fucked it up before. But then again if i plan on drifting or racing it be a problem if I crash it. I do see why people don't like it as it lacks power. I probably couldn't do initial D tier dorfto even if I had a car with lots of torque. I'm still a noob

hood and core supports are easy

I see how getting a cheaper car would be better for a drifting noob. I don't mind The Nissan but I have heard better things about the Toyota chassis.

Ive learned a lot from making this thread. Ive heard it easy to mod so maybe up the power to turn it into a drift car.

>
No

I would totally suggest it. I had a life changing night in my BRZ. I hit some black ice and went underneath some safety cables. it totaled my car but it saved my life. Any other car i guarantee I would be dead right now. for the safety alone I would suggest it. I have only had the car for a year but the amount of fun and smiles it brought me personally is irreplaceable

Did you get another BRZ with the insurance payout?

Honestly it happened tonight. I just got home from dealing with the cops and what not. I go tomorrow to meet with my adjuster. but there is major frame damage all around the vehicle, my trunk was ripped off. rear bumper was ripped off. all my windows are destroyed. I am lucky to walk away with my life tonight. But if i get the chance to get another. I will in a heart beat

Front grill== drunk/retarded vampire?

I love my BRZ. It's quick, fun, easy to toss around, and looks awesome. I'm a college student and the WRB makes people literally break their necks over a 99% stock exterior with some autism stickers. Not to mention the super chill culture of other ft86 drivers. No matter the make, everyone gives each other the thumbs up. Sure, you're going to get beat off the line by a V6 accord, but you can carve up corners like a much more expensive vehicle. The ride is rough, but not uncomfortable. I drive city streets in Charlotte with no real issues. The interior lacks features, the sound system is pretty garbage, and some of the materials feel cheap. But that's not why you buy one of these cars.

A drift build would be cool, but honestly you could go for something cheaper. 86 drift cars look great, but it kind of seems like a waste to do that to a new car.

Definitely go give one a test drive at least. The new ones are nice and have some more features (blind spot monitoring, backup camera, gauges...) but the older ones can be had for a bargain. I got my 2013 Limited 6MT with 5000 miles on it for $20k a few months ago.

That sounds wonderful. Yeah I know drifting in a new car isn't the best idea. I do just like the chassis. But it could make a good sporty daily driver and I could buy a shit box for drifting. I wonder about upgrading snd tuning the engine to be more ... powerful

Hey man. I hope your okay. Its amazing it saved your life .

Why does no one put fender mirrors on toybarus?
Feels like im the only one that would like to make a Kyusha style FRZ
I always put them on in NFS 2015 & 17

>
>Front grill== drunk/retarded vampire?
Its supposed to match the drunk driver

I'm now talking to a dealer about one. Seeing what price point and loan options there are.

Lmao it's 48k auto or 52k manuel in Netherlandistan. I tend to import cars from eastern europe, your pricing isn't too bad but I guess the wages there are lower

Jesus. $25k-$30k in the US is already hard to justify unless it triggers your lust or something.

ALSO IT SNOWED :D FUCK YEAH RWD IN THE WINTER SIDEWAYS BESTWAYS

Snow is the only time my current car can drift

Toyobarus will go sideways pretty easy in the rain when you're in the first few gears. The trick is to get the ass end dancing so that it doesn't just turn the robot throttle off to avoid wheel spin.

Get an 80nanny from beastronix.com/ solves the problems with the TC coming on automatically and lets you switch the ABS off at will as well along with disabling TPMS if you have it.

It's not too terribly intrusive so far. I'm still at the point where VSC sport mode is about right. It's nice that it lets you slip up a bit before kicking in so you can get a sense of where the limits are.

It's just a bit odd when you forget that something's going to kick in out of nowhere after a moment if you were intending to go for more than a quick little slide.

Oh wait does the TPMS system interfere? The stock wheels are sitting in my shed and so the TPMS light is always on and sometimes it flashes when the car seems to be worried. Does disabling that off change the electronical nannies?

do the pedal dance, everything will be off

All in due time. For casual driving it all stays pretty much out of the way except for like if you forget that you can't stomp the throttle with one wheel in the slush and expect it's going to rocket out like AWD would.

Just don't. Go buy a Civic or some shit. Boy racers keep driving up the premium on my insurance because of stupid shit like this.

Just go buy a cheap Miata and wreck that first.

It's loud and stiff, so pretty good if you're an enthusiastic. It's funny trying to see lifted trucks take the same speed as me around tight curves.

Isn't the cornering mad fun? You think for all the world surely it's going to come unglued this time, but it just doesn't.

There's this one off ramp I sometimes use and errytime I wind up pointed at an almost 90deg angle at the car in front of me bored and waiting for them to stop taking such a slow bloated line. If they had been trying to boyrace me I give them the benefit of being a football field ahead by the time they get back up to speed. One of the few times I give in to the temptation.

It doesn't interfere but it bugs me having it on.

It's a car for personal enjoyment, or a sports car for beginners. Don't expect to win any races.

I've brutalized a few trying to be boyracers.

>automatic
>drift
come on now.

you can get a pre-facelift model since it's cheaper and there's no difference.

though i enjoyed 3 years of ownership and by far the most fun car i've owned and will likely get another one.

Automatic is much better for drifting, Would your rather have an automatic rifle or a manual rifle?

The 2017 models are a little slower: even though they have 5 extra hp and the final drive has been messed with, the torque gap that was already present in the previous models of around 3000 to 3500 rpm has been increased to around 3000 to 4000 rpm--your 0-60 times will be slower.

Go back to /k/opmensators retard.

I'm pretty sure cars are the classic "compensating for something" item.

That would be guns. Cars are useful no one needs a gun.

If you have to ask, you shouldn't be putting this much money into a """drift build""".

Just get this fat, much better looking and much faster cousin instead