/mg/ - Miata General: Drift Tengoku edition

Cool MX5's are few and far between. Drift Tengoku magazine April 2002. Drivetrain 1mm Metal Head Gasket High Cam (IN / EX 256 °) 450 cc Main Injector HKS T25G Turbine Power Flow Buddy Club Muffler Yashio Factory Radiator Trust Oil Cooler Freedom Computer (Setting Boost O.5 kg / cm) Lightweight Flywheel Cusco MZ LSD

instagram.com/p/BaiyOi9BwhZ

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nydn-jODL6I
youtube.com/watch?v=98_6OZ8eW_A
youtube.com/watch?v=5HE6py5HL_c
youtube.com/watch?v=tIXR7vwa2Bg
youtube.com/watch?v=zx2F8JLywik
mossmiata.com/hose-kit-radiator-heater-7-pc
kmiata.com/collections/kmiata-swap-parts/products/k-series-miata-conversion-kit
youtube.com/watch?v=3Vb8pxpbRUs
flickr.com/photos/52131045@N03/albums/72157663274385066
flickr.com/photos/autohistorian/sets/72157636570350894
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

bump

>miata
more like pozload edition

>be NA miata owner
>on my way home from work
>there's this third gen camry that's always bullying me
>usually by tailgating me, honking at me, or attempting to overtake me
>eventually confront him and challenge him to a track race
>if he wins, he rides for free, if I win I ride for free
>he agrees
>finally my months of larping as an initial d character are about to pay off
>track day comes, we line up our cars
>have someone count us down to make it feel like iketani is counting us down
>in the meantime decide to start blasting some eurobeat, in particular Forever Young
>aww shit i'm feelin it
>race starts, I inch ahead since he's got like 1000 pounds on me and there's a corner coming up
>throughout the entire race, he's on my tail within inches, there's no way a camry is this fast
>no matter how many hektik skiddz I pull, he's behind me
>final corner comes up
>I better not fuck up
>FOREVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER
>pull of a sicc dorifto, hugging the corner like a pro
>TOGETHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER
>front tires lose grip, slide ever so slightly outwards
>FOREVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER
>camry dives into the corner and slowly inches past me
>TOGETHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER
>camry is one car length ahead of me
>can't even catch up to him
>mfw

I've never been so humiliated in my life.

My Direzza Zii's only just passed their WOF, moving up to 15x7.5/Nankang AR-1 205's.
Little bit concerned about my lust for tyres that barely last me a year.

Bought a second Miata for 300, 99 NB, should be fun

>tfw 01 mx5 se with 63k miles on it for $6.7k
is this a good deal? It's in amazing condition with only one owner no wreaks
I may just have to buy it guys, other than cracks in the leather seats, it's immaculate

Anyone ever seen that Best Motoring/Hot Version where Tsuchiya judges a bunch of amateurs drifting the final turn at Maze circuit in a stock Miata?
I watched it on youtube once long ago and now I can't find it again, vid related this is the turn and I'm pretty sure that's even the same MX-5 they used:

youtube.com/watch?v=nydn-jODL6I

Nibbas I'm getting the Vmax NA coilover kit and am wondering what wheels I can slam on the car that would look good without alot of camber.

I want to get the ROTA RKR but that +10 offset is bothering me. I want to get an agressive look but still keep the car functional. I am not interested in slamming it or doing stance crap just want to pump some more testosterone in the miat

Any ideas if those will rub with rolled fenders on the Vmax or I should aim for a 15x8 but with a 25-30 ET and 205s

I never knew you had a miata?
Weren't you driving some truck?

Sweet. What equipment has it got?
Can't come to /ovg/ and call me a faggot anymore now that we've got the same car.

10/10
Bunta go to bed

A friend of mine had a drift miata for a while. He drifted that thing really well but ended up selling it because he felt like the chassis was holding him back. They make ok drift cars but because of the wheel base they can be kinda limiting.

youtube.com/watch?v=98_6OZ8eW_A

>ended up selling it because he felt like the chassis was holding him back
Yeah it's the chassis holding him back.... not the slammed ride height, the stanced allignment and suspension so stiff it doesn't compress at all.

But hey I would have thought that shit was cool too 5-10 years ago, I guess I've grown up now.

do you daily your Miata? I have the same wheels but it isn't my daily. I rarely drove it in the summer and dont drive it in the winter at all

>chassis holding him back

lol

youtube.com/watch?v=5HE6py5HL_c

youtube.com/watch?v=tIXR7vwa2Bg

youtube.com/watch?v=zx2F8JLywik

christ that is ugly

Anyone done a coolant reroute?
Just installed a skid nation one and now the car takes way longer to warm up

I have a bunch of cars

It's dead stock rn, not sure what the plans are for it, I might cut it up and use it for my Datsun project

lets be real tho his actual chassis is the 4 door r32 & the miata is just his toy

>went to local bodyshop to gett stuff sandblasted
>rear wishbones
>rear subframe
>he looks at parts
>asks 450-500€ just for sandblasting

guess they just don't want to do small jobs? because the price is pretty ridiculous

In my 2003 nb2 I'm replacing the radiator and all the hoses with upgrades soon but Idk if the nb1 hose kit would work with nb2?
I'm trying to buy this one, mossmiata.com/hose-kit-radiator-heater-7-pc
But it only says 1999-2000
Are the hoses different between nbs?

Na6 owner here. If my throw out bearing needs to be replaced, should I just do the whole clutch job too?

yeah

May as well. If the budget allows, see if a lightweight flywheel could be chucked in there.
Also, check out the driveshaft while you're there and don't bloody forget to line the tranny up properly.

No idea, I don't have an NB. Better to just post on a proper forum or accept that the seller and their part years are grouped for a reason. Maybe try googling NB coolant changes 2000 or something.

You could buy a compressor, gun and 50kg of media for that and still walk away with enough cash for powdercoating.

>finally my months of larping as an initial d character are about to pay off

Apparently these are DOT approved in NZ for street use, will report next month on 'noise' and 'aquaplaning', whatever those are.

Blah. Also the treadware is a small concern.

For that price, I'd expect the seats to be perfect as well. Keep in mind a good NB is around 3k.

A +10 offset wheel will rub. About the most aggressive you can go with slightly rolled fenders on an NA is +25. You'd be looking at either flares, or pulling your arches

yeah I know, a few years ago my dad had them sandblast all his dodge ram supension parts for like 85€, so idk whats their problem

dirty gurl

Okay so I got a free na miata, only thing is it needs a new engine, should I just get another 1.8 or something different?

PROTIP: If you have an NA, you should probably replace your fuel pump as soon as possible even if it hasn't gone out.

Mine went out the other day, and upon pulling it from the tank, I found the strainer completely shredded and scattered around in the tank. Your strainer is probably in the same condition.

Bare minimum you should pull yours out and take a look.

It takes five minutes to pull the pump and half of that is removing the carpet.

As soon as i get paid i am ordering air and fuel filter.

>open the hood to check the oil
>notice the coolant reroute hose is looking weird
>look behind the engine
>its halfway out
>mfw i could have been a steam train at some point.

Nankang ar1? Heard good things about those

The fuel filter is under the car. The strainer is in the tank attached to the fuel pump.

DESU it's harder to do the filter.

Might as well do both.

And here's the pump and strainer in question.

I'd imagine that any NA still using the original pump is probably in similar condition given that they're all more than 20 years old now.

hows your guys seals doing?

they aren't prefect, I mean it's 01, but they're not bad at all
I think I'm gonna get it guys

where the fuck do you live? a good NA is $3-4k, $5-6 for an M edition here. a good NB is 5-6k as well.

So I just got back from driving my NA around after swapping out the fuel pump. It seems to be a lot more responsive now.

I can only assume that the old pump had ingested some of the strainer and was getting more and more choked until the pump finally gave out.

You all need to go check your pumps ASAP. Especially if your car has felt sluggish.

Greetings From Alabama, Bitches!

I wanna buy an NB to daily all year round, we have lots of salt in the winter
how fucked am I

>Lots of salt in the winter

Any car is fucked, right?

my 10 year old fiat looks pretty alright, some surface rust on the suspension parts but that's it
I'm afraid an NA or NB will fall apart after 2 winters

POR15 the shit out of the undercairrage and you'll be golden

The NB's double hull can trap moisture and be more prone to rusting, especially if salty brine is trapped in the roof drains, which can leak into the lower rear quarters. If you avoid driving it on the highway or behind a truck spraying brine it will be fine, given a good wash occasionally to remove salt residue. If you keep the roof drains clear they should function as intended and no harm should come to your rockers. A hardtop covers the entire roof drain system, so that's a solution, then you can apply weatherproofing and drive/maintain it like a normal car withht a caveat being that it's a Mazda so it's not exactly resistant to rust to begin with.

Are there any aftermarket hard tops you guys recommend? Not really a fan of convertibles (don't wanna mess up my hair)

Wrong car mate.
In any case, aftermarket hardops vary from shit, to just as expensive as a used one. Keep in mind most of the good ones are bare on the inside, meaning no headliner, and you need a roll cage(or bar maybe) to tie them to, since they're not structurally sound by themselves. IF you really want a decent hardtop and don't want to buy a used one, get an NC with the PRHT

Isn't that the breakshift Miata?

So I'm looking at getting a Miata and I'm curious if there's any difference between a 1.6 and 1.8 transmission and if so, what are they? My biggest concern being the power they can handle. I want it as a dd/project and looking at swapping a k24 intout

Into it*

>Tfw you fat finger your phone

>My biggest concern being the power they can handle. I want it as a dd/project and looking at swapping a k24 intout

>want to swap k24 into it
>thinks youll be able to use the stockk miata transmission

lel, clearly either you're memeing think swapping engines is just like in Forza or you just didn't do your research at all

Actually, no. There are swap kits available

kmiata.com/collections/kmiata-swap-parts/products/k-series-miata-conversion-kit

Once again, main concern is the power a stock miata trans can handle

I know they can handle a stock K24 with 0 mods but i would do NA mods to it. That and i want to know if i can even stuff this fucker into a 1.6 without the trans going ISIS on me

the 1.8 transmission has slightly longer gears overall. Think a difference of 400 rpm when cruising on the highway at 80.

i.e. 1.6 trans - 4000k
1.8 trans - 3600k

The rear end you use plays a lot into this as well, as a 1.8 rear end is bigger.

However the 1.8 trans has stronger internals, so it holds more power. Usually good up to about 275-300whp depending, whereas the 1.6 can start breaking around 240-250whp.

Thank you, looks like a 94 and newer for me!

To be fair the stock 1.6 trans can start breaking at the stock 105hp.

terrible
fucking end me
every time it rains something inside this car gets soaked and i have water in my trunk

yes. i think you fucked up, mine warms up fine.

Does that nig with an e30 still post here? I have something to ask him if he sees this.

>clean low milage NA finally pops up on craigslist
>it's fucking silver

Would you rather silver or blue?

blue, I find silver to be the most boring car color possible

Yah that's fair, how much would a proper paintjob even cost (assuming you want to)

a proper paintjob would cost at least $2k, not worth it imo

Fuggg one of my coworkers is leaving and needs to get rid of his 91 miata. Its on cl for $3k but he's telling me he'll give it to me for way cheaper. Im still a student with a part time bringing in 1k a month and I know with insurance payments I'll barely BARELY be able to afford it

But I want it so badly

Silver is one of the best colors to itasha though.

whats up, whats your question

I knew I had bought the right wheels

>go out for a late-night snack run
>it's 12 degrees F out
>Miata's starter whines as the engine slowly cranks over several times before roaring to life like a prop-engined fighter plane
>just sit and enjoy the racket as the engine warms up and wakes up everyone within 200 meters

Insurance on Miatas is surprisingly low -- they are cheap cars to repair and replace. Insurance seems to treat them like any other econobox. If your current car is newer a Miata might actually save you money.

Just bought a 2001 5 speed with 88k miles for 1K, only thing not working is remote locking and mirror adjusters.

did I do good Veeky Forums and what am in for? Had a 2000 a while back, will this be any different?

What are those rocker panel covers? How do they attach? Are you just using them to hide your rust bc i rushed my diy repair and my paint is flaking there. Might wanna buy those n just cover them instead.

bump

I had asked you about Tommy's IS300 a couple /mg/s ago, but i saw in one of his vids that that thing was kind of clapped. I'm really interested in that Taco that he just picked up though. Any way you could see if he'd trade it for a DRZ400SM with cash on my end? I would offer to just buy it straight up, but I just got laid off from work so I can't really afford it unless he'd sell it for dirt.

Not sure the exact brand on those, but there's similar looking one made by Project G. There's a lot of cheaper knock offs, but the fitment might not be the best.

Bump

email him or DM him on instagram dude, he answers all his messages esp if it has to do with money/trades.

I dont watch his videos or talk with him everyday so it would be weird if I just hit him up asking "hey some guy from Veeky Forums wants your Tacoma". Also I live about an hour away from the dude. We aren't neighbors or anything.

how does one even finds this kind of commercial materials? i can only find youtube

youtube.com/watch?v=3Vb8pxpbRUs

I guess I'll try that. I figured he'd just ignore his DMs because he probably has a bunch of kids messaging him constantly for stupid shit.

flickr

flickr.com/photos/52131045@N03/albums/72157663274385066

flickr.com/photos/autohistorian/sets/72157636570350894

he picks up all his phone calls even when he doesnt know the number.

and im pretty sure he answers all DMs that are serious

cool shit, thanks

Did you already check the rubber gasket thing behind the taillights?

>toes pointed in

Hardtop looks better.