Is there anything worse than your parents refusing to help you buy your first car at all...

Is there anything worse than your parents refusing to help you buy your first car at all? I'm 20 and live in Canada and was a NEET for a little while but now I want to get a car since I have a job and my parents refuse to help.

Other urls found in this thread:

kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/vancouver/1998-suzuki-swift-hatchback/1323699912?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=704961
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

How far is the commute to your job?

Around an hour including some walking (10 mins)

write your own future faggot, get on that grind, it builds character

>2018
>having parents
I have patent owners

Are you a boomer? Give me a break normie everyone's parents help otherwise it's fucking impossible.

>everyone's parents help otherwise it's fucking impossible.
Fuck off

There’s plenty of cars you can get through private sales for very cheap OP, if you know some one who is good with cars (or learn what to check yourself even better) you can get a older shit box for $1000 maybe even less, then with that freedom of mobility work more hours or look for a better job and save up for something better

Okay normie.
>Just pull $4000 and $200+/mth insurance and at least $100 a month maintenance and gas out of your BUTT!
Great advice

You are 20 YEARS OLD! You are an adult. Why would you even consider asking your parents for something you should have handled years ago?The only thing you might need help with at your age is a down payment on a home, or seed money for a business. Buy your own damned car.

Yes I want to get a better job which will require a car to make the commute worth it but cars feel too overwhelming. I've lurked this board for a few weeks and checked reddit and it feels like everyone has a unique opinion on everything.

>it's fucking impossible
What exactly is fucking impossible? To buy 3k civic? You are a fucking imbecile.

Welcome to wrench school faggot. Scotty kilmer will become your new best friend. Go get your $500 shitbox like the rest of us and stop bitching.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQe3DKDQRRs

>dude just save up all this money then give away half your paycheck for insurance and gas

just fuck a rich older dude and marry him

HEY CHECK IT OUT THIS NIGGER DRIVES WITH INSURANCE!
Your first car is an indoctrination into manhood.

You must be from Quebec, you don't deserve a car ride a bicycle like the faggot man child you are

I'd say being an entitled little shit is worse

Okay sure let me just drive without insurance... oh wait the fine is $5000 for first offense. Great idea

Retard

>wtf i thought cars were free after u bought them!!!!
neck yourself

looks like this nigger can't drive either.

After being a NEET for a while are you surprised?

Work for it and gtfo of your parents place like the rest of us had to do.

And do what? Give 70% of my income to a Jewish landlord?

Why do you insist on bringing /pol/ bullshit here? Either work your ass off or die alone, it's your choice, because if you have any other you wouldn't be makng this thread.

tl:dr: OP is a faggot

Look I'm just seeking advice here, I didn't come here to be bullied. I've had enough of that in highschool.

Yes, not being able to buy your own car at 20.

Obviously. Scotty kilmer, find a vehicle that needs something simple like a wheel bearing or a brake line for cheap. Fix it and don't drive like a retard, you can't afford a racecar.

Okay ill try to do that

Do you have any other important and useful tips for me?

ehh, i am older but about 2 years ago i found myself in a situation where i had no car, no job and no dollars. i was able to grind up from 0 dollars to 3k to buy a decent used car in less than a year working a SHIT job for 11 an hour, you can do it too if you actually work and it's not some 15 hour a week bullshit and you don't do stupid shit like spend paychecks on video games and pizza delivery

get some beater for 400-600$
got my 2003 taurus this way still driving it daily after almost 3 years.

look for station wagon people are giving them aways for almost nothing.

I did and still do that.

Blazers, dodge rams, chevy cars are currently the cheapest in the midwest. Look for rusty but trusty. Do not buy anything with rust holes in the frame.

>t. farnboy driving a $700 blazer for the lst 8 months

>was a NEET for a little while
So you alienated your parents by being a worthless loser and are now unhappy that they aren't super willing to help you?

>Is there anything worse
Yes you could be dead, now stop over-dramatizing you millennial faggot.

entitled little shit. get some fucking responsibility and take out a loan.

>Ontario

Three generations of punishment is too leinient for your bloodline for daring to remain in that living hell and supporting the provinces' most corrupt government in history. Though I have to ask why you haven't made a run for the border before the wall goes up yet? If you're white you could pass for American so you may be able to avoid the rake

>If you're white you could pass for American

I had "barrowed" old handme down cars from my family till I had a job and started saving money and even coming from a somewhat poor family my single mom said that if I saved half she'd pay half

So I saved up around 2k and she helped with the other 2k to get a mk4 jetta (which I never planned on getting btw) I was planning on getting an Integra or Golf or something but the Integra got sold when I went to go buy it and the golf "was too old and too basic of trim lvl" according to my mom, so I hopped in the jetta and likes the heated seats, and power everything and A.C. etc, and sun roof and figured what the hell I'll get it

>Thing turned out to be a lemon..

This is what happens when you don't have a dad that can go car shopping with..

Oh well we did our best and the thing was a tank thank God cause a few yrs later i got T-boned and it only had a bit of damage than what i was expecting

Was frustrating when I was working with a dumb blonde slut yrs ago and her daddy bought her a new civic at the time because he didn't want her driving something that might breakdown.. >_>

So OP if you don't have a poor family and ask if you save up half (up to a certain price ceiling like 3-4k in total for the car) if they can match half, so like 1.5/2k

3/4k isn't too bad for a 1st car and if you both put in half it won't be too bad

But if your family is poor or close to it, then you'll pretty much have to save for it all yourself, which means you'll have to get a cheaper car if you want one soon like $1.5/2k or so for a roadworthy/legal car

Why the fuck you expect them to help?
If you fucking cared at all about anything, you would either go to studies, where you could just commute with public transportation like a normal being and have a side job on the weekends or just go for an full time job and commute there by public for few months and then get a car for your money
You should feel fucking shame that after being a parasite for 18 years, you just decided to not give a fuck about anything your parents did for you and still continue to live at their cost, without showing them any effort from your side
And after all of that you even fucking dare to be angry at them for not giving you money for your first car
I'm incredibly disgusted by you, your post and so should be you

Having your parents die/be nonexistent in helping with anything so you fail in your attempts to even get transport to work so you can't even begin to afford a car?

Check your privilege,

There's no such thing as $500 shitboxes anymore thanx to Obama's old "Cash for Clunkers" program
Which the used automotive community is JUST starting to recover from

The 3k civic meme never used to be so true, old ef/eg/ek civics of various models and yrs etc could be bought all day in america and Canada for less than a $1000 usually even less than that, every old piece of shit safety grandma boomer, and soccermom and wimpy dads had them or similar cars like them, ei; corollas, tarcels, volvos, etc.

Then after the cash for Clunkers program everyone sold them and most got scrapped

It was essentially the used car holocost (oi vey)

Now civics literally are $3k
The cheapest car I've found that is road worthy and legal, is around $1000 give or take a hundred dollars

When your mom or dad or grandparents needed a cheap used road worthy car, it really wasn't that hard to find one and had quite a selection to choose from and could find them very VERY cheap

Now...well look on kijiji for civics and you'll see.

Sounds like you should be buying a bike, not a car.

>Then after the cash for Clunkers program everyone sold them and most got scrapped

You're retarded

kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/vancouver/1998-suzuki-swift-hatchback/1323699912?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
Found it in 20 seconds, never even heard of this site before
Literally just fucking kys, you are worthless
>inb4 b-but that's not a civic! i-its slow and ugly!
Even more of an reason to neck yourself

he is right. cash for cars, push pull or drag programs and government rebates all contributed to the death of the $500 shitbox (of any make or model)

Umm no, you can still find cheap shitboxes that run and always could.

You do realize that most boomers and most of our parents had some form of help when they started out right?

Only the poorest of poor or stingiest didn't,
And a lot of that had to do with how easy and cheap used cars were back then

The pull yourself from the bootstraps is a good mindset but nowadays it's imperically MUCH more difficult, I know many kids that have to work 3 jobs just to survive, where as just 15 yrs ago, you only needed 1 and could easily go to school or get a good job with a good company with good benefits

So having OP save up 1/2k while his parents save up 1/2k IF they can afford it to help their son get his 1st car which will immensely help him with work or school etc is pretty reasonable

Now having them buy a car IN FULL for him, NOW THATS a different story.

Also OP's dad should have fucking worked on an old cheap car together to show OP how to take care of cars as well as bond together and teach responsability and hard work

Wtf is the point of being a dad if you dont do fun and informative hobbies like this with your kids?
This is why each generation is getting shittier, parents are fucking lazy nowadays and let the TV raise them, then act surprised when their kids have no morals or responsibility or respect or any deep interests besides partying and Netflix.

>Remember it's a 2 way street.

Not taking a stand on OP's car situation but there are things where it's just dumb no to support your kids especially in the modern world where jobs don't grow in trees and your kids could waste years and get stuck in some shit job instead of getting ahead in life.

Old money helps to support the family while normies just kick their kids out without instilling any work ethic to them and refuse the support them in any way turning them into young people with their future ahead of them into bitter adults who are gettinh nowhere in life.

The work ethic and character should have been built years ago anyways.

>cheap

but not as cheap. used to be you could find a 500 dollar shitbox in 5 minutes WITHOUT the internet to help.

>You do realize that most boomers and most of our parents had some form of help when they started out right?

I dont know where your getting this info. my dad was given a boot in his ass at 17 and told to make it on his own. same as his dad and his dad before him. Same story for all the people of my dads generation. The fact of the matter is NO generation ever got the kind of help that this generation has got and as a result we have given rise to a generation of whiny entitled little fucks.

NOW your starting too, but they're MUCH more expensive than what they used to

An $800 ek civic turned into a $3000 ek civic and so on and so on..

You can still find cheap cars but it's not as easy and there are a lot less of them, esp if you want one that's fun or cool or something you'd even REMOTELY like

I'm actually a little depressed now, half the reason I want to be a dad is to do stuff like work on a cheap used sport/muscle car with my son while he grows up, but just now realized most cars will be self driving and who knows how expensive used cars will be by then..

Damnit I just want to be a dad in the 90s dagnabbit!

dude you couldn't get a good running car for 500 when i started driving in 1998. if you ever scored a mechanically sound car for 500 you got LUCKY. and used Hondas have always been pretty overpriced, the used honda meme predates this website by decades. also, i go to craigslist everyday and see cars for 1000-2000 that are good deals, that's a month of working at Taco Bell. if i drove by a Honda with 500 painted on the window i would keep driving because there is something wrong with it or else they'd be asking for more. 2018.

this post should win some form of award.

Umm no, all cheap cars are being bought buy jews and sold back to your for triple their actual value.

If you want to know then look at the small Island nations where cars are extremely taxed to reduce people using them.

>An $800 ek civic turned into a $3000 ek civic and so on and so on..

No, they didn't. I think you guys just live in shitty areas for cars, 90's Civics are still cheap here, even swapped ones can be found for under $2000. Your standard beater Civic is under $1500 and plenty under $1000.

Go figure you people are retarded.

>if i drove by a Honda with 500 painted on the window i would keep driving because there is something wrong with it or else they'd be asking for more

your loss. usually they are 500 cause they LOOK like shit inside and out. MAYBE just need a good oil change and a brake change. Price does not tell you shit.

now show us prices for something reasonable (like an econohatch)

I know theres gonna be a fuck ton of fags saying they did it themselves etc but here this out.
I got a car from my parents when I was 16. After that iv managed to go through 6 shitboxes (i bought/traded) and learn a ton about modifying and maintaining vehicles. I have friends who work more hours than me, have more automotive enthusiasm, and are the same age as me who are still working their ass off for their first car so they can install a cold air intake and rice out. I got out of that phase like 6 years ago. My parents putting down a few grand for my first car changed my life and put me into this amazing hobby.

>No, they didn't. I think you guys just live in shitty areas for cars, 90's Civics are still cheap here
>my area is representative of the entire worlds market

this is bigger than you, faggot

Sorry you live in a shitty place, maybe you should move and quit whining like a faggot.

>nowadays it's imperically MUCH more difficult, I know many kids that have to work 3 jobs just to survive
The dude is living with his parents, he doesn't need 3 jobs to pay for diffrent taxes, his and his house insurance, water, electricity, food, drinks etc
All he needs to pay for is the car, petrol and insurance for the care
I could do that when I was 18 working 4(FOUR) hours a day after uni in a MC and later as a security on weekends only, where in reality I could bring my 2ds to work and just play most of the time since there was nothing to do
>So having OP save up 1/2k while his parents save up 1/2k IF they can afford it to help their son get his 1st car which will immensely help him with work or school etc is pretty reasonable
Not if he was a neet for 2 years, doesn't deserve it, that 2k from him is enough to get a car and any real job is enough to pay for the insurance and petrol
>
Also OP's dad should have fucking worked on an old cheap car together to show OP how to take care of cars as well as bond together and teach responsability and hard work
I agree but there is no reason why he can't do that alone either
Personally if I'll ever have a kid that will really want some car, I will happily give him some money for it, but only if I'll see that he works hard for it
If he will just expect me to buy it for him, then he won't get a single dime but I hope I won't ever procreate something so pathetic and miserable

Of course I fucked the post up...
I'm too tilted and this point

There's a difference between helping and buying everything your little princess wants

And like this user said pretty much sums up what life is like now and what happens if you don't help your kids at certain points, instead of them getting ahead they fall behind which is what is happening to me right now
I work all day and night and don't get home till midnight, and in trying my absolute damnest to go to school, but since I don't have a pc or laptop i can't work on my applications and portfolio, and it costs a lot to get one esp when I'm saving as much money as I can cause my mom's bf wants me out every other month even though I was homeless,

And even if I had the tools to make said applications and portfolio I never have enough time to actually do it cause I always have to work, and I found out I'll probably have to do a HS physics course so I can even have a chance of getting into school, and add to the fact that I don't know when I'll be kicked out I've been saving money for an apartment so i dont end up homeless, which means that's another yr I won't be able to go to school, which means I'm never gonna get ahead and keep spinning my tires gling nowhere with no future and no hopes,

Honestly thought about suicide a few times because I've wasted my youth barely getting by and always having 1 big problem after the other everytime I want to go to school to better my life

It's a visious cycle

Like that user said, there's times where it's stupid not to help out your kids or else you pay for it in the long run and have a kid that works at mcdicks or walmart till he's 70 yrs old with nothing to show for his life

Trying to go to school wasn't nearly as hard or nearly as expensive as it is today and it's been proven many times that it is just look at tuitions from the 60s - 90s VS today

>Sorry you live in a shitty place
>thinks that cheap cars is all there is to a place being good

your American aren't you, from the south?

Op are you still in here? I want to let you know that you are a faggot
You are an adult
AN ADULT
maybe youd have a leg to stand on if you were still a minor but if it has taken you this fucking long to get your shit together you don't deserve handouts
That being said I was given a car by my parents. However it was a beater that had been sitting forever and they just didn't want to deal with it
I'm 20 as well and i have bought two cars since that one.
I bought my current one for 1400 dollars.
1400 is not fucking hard to save for
Also do you still fucking live with them?
Rent free?
Fuck you dude. I never lived rent fucking free
You have zero excuse not to buy your own damn car
What the fuck do you spend all your money on you god damn loser

>tfw all the people saying you can't find cheap cars anymore
Look harder.
What is it you guys are always saying about cheap rwd cars that have an LSD?

My first car was given to me, running but in need of a lot of repairs. I paid for some of it, but my dad did the labor and paid for the rest. He however, was a mechanic but now remans transmissions. I don't currently pay for my insurance, but I do pay for keeping the old girl running and of course gas. I'm in college and they are putting me through that. Not a NEET, I work my ass off in school so my parents support me.

Just my story to pitch in.

But everything is cheaper in the south. If you're whining about how expensive used cars are then apparently where you're at isn't good for you.

so I read your post. all I heard was "wah wah poor me, its all other peoples fault! its all my circumstances fault!"

no, its you and no amount of help will fix that.You need to change your mentality from "the world is out to get me and i need help" to "fuck the world Ill do it myself"

there are a million job programs out there that give you access to computers and resume tools as well as PPE and public transit funding. all you have to do is look. but by all means, keep wallowing in your self pity.

The thing is that OP is the little princess
If he is a neet at age of 20, it's obvious that he's just living with his parents and their cost, instead of working few years ago, he just sat home, did both and now he's suprised that parents don't want to buy him a car

Yeah but I could get a decent blowjob from your wife in 98

I'm not whining. I'm stating the objective truth. Cheap cars don't exist anymore in the same way they used to. Just because they might in ButtFuck, Alabama does not change that, other than the 500 people that live there, most people cant access the dirt cheap cars that used to be everywhere.

>wah wah, millions of people can have cheap cars but not me :(

Yeah, you're a whiny faggot.

your reading comprehension is off.

I just went to Los Angeles CL and still found cheap Hondas. You fuckers are dumb and just want to blame Obama for shit.

Most of this I agree with,

but remember if he was a neet for 2yrs his parents obviously failed at raising him, (granted they're not entirely to blame, but they do share a great deal of the responsability in it)

And there's no reason why OP couldn't learn to work on his car, but it's one of those "coming of age" things you're SUPPOSED to do with your dad, like learning to shave, learning basic car maintenance and maybe even work on building or fixing one together, learning how to cook and bbq, learning how to talk to and ask out wymon, learning how to defend yourseld in a fight and to not accept irntake shit from someone that disrespects you, etc, etc,

These are important life lessons that you're SUPPOSED to learn from your dad, to help you become and well rounded man and adult

Also some of it is plain fun and great way to bond with your son, so maybe he won't be some creepy sociopath guy that collects cat heads and has never even held a girls hand let alone fucked one and has anger and mental problems

For godsake there's schools opening up that teach these "life lessons" that I saw ads for on YouTube because parents don't do this shit anymore and then wonder why their kids have all these problems

Which is probably why you're seeing ppl want traditional values back in the home again

Anyways if OP doesn't have to pay rent and has enough time to save up money while getting preparing to go to college or whatever then that's doable but there are points in life where parents really should help because it stupid not to

We don't have holdens in Canada m8
Nice try.

Ignore this post more OP

you can thank feminism and its role in the rise of divorces that were completely one sided, forcing fathers out of the home and keeping them from their kids (except MAYBE every second weekend)

and if both parents stayed together then they were to absorbed in chasing the "american dream" of a house, 2 cars and a career for each parent. simultaneously employers cut wages back for all which meant that 2 parents working made as much as 1 parent working did in the 50's.

both these scenarios removed fathers from their kids and led to them being raised by daycare and growing up maladjusted.

piss off, cuck. noone cares about your shitpost and demands for attention

All in saying is that it can easily turn into a pitfall or cycle when your kids don't get help at critical points in life

You shouldn't give anything and everything they want, but you don't want to set them up for failure either

It's lazy parenting to give your child everything and it's ALSO lazy parenting to just say no and refuse to help when they desperately need it

It's a balancing act

Also what kind of shitty parent let's their kid become a fucking neet anyway??

They should have been hounding him to go to school or a trade school that he likes or at the very least work and save money while they figure out a plan as a family for what he's like to do as a career, thats taking an active and responsible roll in your child's life instead of just throwing food at him and letting him just live in depression and loneliness like a damn cat

OP has responsability in the blame but don't let his parents off the hook that easy either.

OP's parents seem pretty lazy or don't give a shit to just let their offspring become a loser

Look at happy well adjusted well off families, their parenting and mentality is MUCH MUCH different than your typical shithole family

>LA
No fucking shit you found hondas
It's one of the biggest cities in the fucking world and is filled with the most spics that worship Honda

Look in the mid west, again you'll probably find some that are cheaper than $3k but they're in bad condition and would pass a safety test, or there's few of them

Hatchbacks go for about 90k in the low end.

Riced out 3k civic 67k, lowest are 20k bit they need tax renew and all kind of paperwork costing maybe double.

sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=704961

Also there seems go be some kind of quota of cars lifetime allowed until it needs a expensive renew or you need to get a brand new car. Most of cars value is this tax.

>buying a clapped out commie off of gum tree
May as well start on meth at that point

Your still putting too much owness on the OPs parents. In the end you are YOUR OWN PERSON. your successes and failures are your own and not the product or property of anyone else.

If you have the ability to perform the critical thinking necessary to come to the (wrong) conclusion that your sorry state is the product of something your parents did or did not do, then you have the capacity to apply logic and realize that your parents are fucking irrelevant in your life after 18. your an adult. you need to act like one.

OP what province or biggest city you live in or near?
I'm from Sk
I'll try to find some cheap cars for you in each province, I imagine your either in BC it ON like every other leaf amirite?

Are you looking for anything? Or any models you'd prefer?

I'll try to find some old Honda's and access since they're great on gas/ nice styling/ peppy/ and last forever

In the meantime browse Kijiji and keep working and saving money for your car and eventually school or a cheap room to rent with some roommates your age so you can be around ppl your own age and maybe have a chance at a social life and try to work towards a future

>Mid-west

Lol, so I was right about that shitty area, I'd probably kill myself there

.Still found that the prices are about the same, sure maybe less of the less than $1k beaters but still cheap. Even found a running Accord for $400. Or are you going to tell me that Iowa isn't midwest?

Just this in parents don't raise kids and once you're 18 everything you knew is irrelevant.

this explains why you all ride around on those scooters.

Tbh, It is not hard to buy your first car on your own, you have a job, but where do you live, If you live at parents place, then it is pretty much shameless to also ask money for car, because your upkeep is low as fuck anyway because you're not renting anything.
If you are renting something, then ohboy, just collect for a year or so, should be able to save up 2k, I mean, I live in Yuropoor, where I make measly 10k a year, and I can easily save 3k a year.
Then when you buy a car, please for the love of god, when buying cheap rundown shits, make sure, that you wont fall through the car, that you can change tires without breaking the sides etc... If you have 3k cash, then buy 1.5k car, because you're going to repair it for at least 1k. same goes for 3k car.

REV UP YOUR ENGINES!

>Give me a break normie everyone's parents help otherwise it's fucking impossible.
My parents didn't help me through university. I worked and studied and became an EE with a nice corporate job. It took me 7 desperate years of working and going to school to finish, but I did it. While not everyone in the USA can succeed even with effort, at least this country does have plenty of opportunities for those who will work consistently at it.

You get off easy, I had to do everything going myself,
Car, broken
Gas
Insurance

All paid myself .... the thing I did have is my father had tools and I used them.

I had to miser everything until I had a real job and actually had a bit of money so start doing stuff and saving.

Even then going to school full time and working full time sucks.... you shouldn't have time to b spend the money, if you even have any left over after forming it over to the university for "muh college"

Gotta be bait. I'm only 21, didn't get shit from my alcoholic parents. Save every cent I made and bought a shitbox $500 civic and moved out when I was 17.

Quit bitching, nobody owes you a fucking thing

My parents didn't let me get the car I wanted with my own money, so I left the house. What are you, poor?

fuck off newfag

Wew lad go fuck yourself. I got kicked out at 13 y/o and got into a programme to learn some life skills. Fast forward to now, I'm 25 y/o, almost done with medicine and with over 600k in crypto. Just be willing to do something and give your parents a break

Fucking normie

kill yourself

>kicked out at 13

How'd you manage that?