Is the meme that the highest quality oil is Mobil 1 legit or is that just good marketing? Are other oil brands- Penzoil...

Is the meme that the highest quality oil is Mobil 1 legit or is that just good marketing? Are other oil brands- Penzoil, Castrol, etc. comparable?

Other urls found in this thread:

540ratblog.wordpress.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Just think about how impossible it is to test how the oil effects the engine. All you really have to go off is how accurate the label is and if some race car uses the same in a car with the same style of engine (turbo/NA).

This is bc the race car is always going 100% and they would ditch any oil that was failing to keep the engine cool and running.

any full syntheic oil is good. old man well a few said all oil is the same comes from the same base stock, only difference is some add different additives to each other and some probably are the same using a other manufactuers oil under license, many no name brands do that.

castrol edge is a good one to use as well.
but any brand full synthetic oil is good, just google the company and see how long they have been around and who owns them as mobil is owned and operated by exxon the same company behind the exxon valdez oil spill, they trade as exxon / mobil, one country they trade as Pacific petroleum.

just google everything and look for the wiki for each brand. that should help out.

540ratblog.wordpress.com/

this. The dude that runs the blog is full of himself, and autistic as fuck, but he produces good info if you can get past the "I AM THE OIL GOD" nonsense.

>Are other oil brands- Penzoil, Castrol, etc. comparable?
Oil companies change their formulations all the time. And the newest formulation is not always the best performing one as some empirical tests by users have shown. What this means is that the oil that people say is great might be surpassed by another oil in six months to a year later. But then the oil might inexplicably go back down in quality if the competition decreases. The sales of motor oil is a sort of cash flow business after all.

this, Toyota synthetic ftw

Tl;dr

The best oil for your engine is manufacturer recommended.

>pic related is liquid gold

>ftw
>toyota synthetic
>Quaker State Ultimate Durability 0W20 synthetic performed better

Compareable or better... This pic shows the wear on a metal bar with Mobil1 5W50, the next one will show RedLine 5W50, clearly the Redline shows less wear, althought it was the same metal, same test amchine, same durration, everything.

RedLine

See it really depends on a lot of things.

Over a "normal" OCI (~5k miles nowadays), for MOST engines, any API oil of the correct grade and with the right certs will work just as good as throwing the most expensive full synth off the shelf.
What the top shelf oils offer is things like a longer OCI (up to 25k miles is the highest one now) and extra protection if you operate your engine outside the norm.

If you are in warranty then follow the manufactures recommendation to the t. If you do the changes yourself keep receipts and use the manufactures branded oil. If you have someone else do it keep receipts and make sure you go to the same place.

If you are outside of warranty then give some of the 20-25k OCI oils a try.

Here is a good example:

I have a Chrysler 3.7l in my truck. It calls for 5w20 with a recommendation for semi-synth. My truck is over a decade old and has ~250k miles on it. It tows near it's max capacity whenever it is run (homemade travel trailer), has been modified (CAI, big mouth throttle body, headers, new fuel map, etc), and rear end has 4.88 gears turning a eaton truetrac.

I don't run the recommended 5w-20. While this engine will rev in stock form to 6k no problem the oil recommendation was expecting sustained 3.5-5k revs for hours at a time while pulling a load.
I run M1 0w-40 during the winter (sub zero temps where I am), and T6 rotella (5w40) the rest of the year. 10k OCI and I do ~30-40k miles a year.
I started doing this after a UOA and found out my 5w20 was breaking down way too fast.

Problem with this test is that the oils are cold and it is never done with large enough sample sizes for the conclusions to mean anything.
It is kinda like the 4ball test for greases. Impressive visuals but in the real world means much less than you would think.

I do think Redline makes a "better" oil but I hold that belief based on looking at various VAO and UAO. Both are good oils and the M1 is probably a better bang for the buck for the average driver.

Isn't that just Mobil One?

You are right, although that guy has tests in which he preheats the oils, and the significant wear is with cold oil and engine, so they are, in my opinion, relevant, furthermore, the tests dos show significant inferior oils. But they are hardly objectively classifiable, so even if the groove is measured the next test will show a differen result.

GM recommends Mobil 1 5W30 full synthetic for my Corvette so that's what I use. I've done research online to see if there's a better alternative, and there doesn't seem to be.

Best thread desu

every oil manufacturer has that one thing they do best. mobil1 is racing or heavy service ideas

Mobil1 is good, maybe some other brands are better. I just use them because they're cheap and known to be acceptable.

OIl to some extent is oil, don't think too hard about brands, just focus on getting full synthetic for a reasonable price.

>oil is the same
old people are stupid.

do not touch off brand trash (walmart, autozone, napa etc) name brand only. other than that follow this

20w50 castrol gtx makes for some good conventional/non-synthetic oil without additives

For my 4wd diesel I run Nulon 15w40 multigrade, never had issues with it.