/BIMMER/

Lets discuss our BMWs. Hows it handling the c-c-cold?

Links:
bmwcca.org/
>You should join if you havn't.

motorsport.com/wec/news/bmw-reveals-gte-roster-wec-imsa-2018-988907/
>M8 driver line up for IMSA and WEC.

Hope its as good as the Z4LMs were.

My clock keeps resetting and also the fans are working on and off. -11 on the thermometer this morning. However, I have some Blizzaks on it and it drives so great. Felt pity for the many cars I passed on the side of the road this morning during my 5:30 am commute.

Hows your /bimmer/ user?

Other urls found in this thread:

tampa.craigslist.org/psc/cto/d/bmw-633csi/6417964512.html
streamable.com/jfgz2
bmwcca.org/
autoscout24.de/angebote/-b64c9ba5-d299-4566-8422-ecaef1fe13b5?pr=0&fromparkdeck=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Who /N54/?

Why would you live in a place that gets cold?

Beamer*

Sup bimmerpeeps, out of curiosity I was wondering when the M2 will get a tunes B58 engine (s58??).
I've been looking at a handful of cars but the M2 is 90k+ in Netherlandistan which seems alot for a car with the "old" engine whereas the M240i has the B58 one. Am I missing something?

because you don't want to live in the third world

Basic Marin Wheels

Yeah, hanky-janky snow car, here.

Bimmer for four wheels, beamer for two.

>nearing sub zero temperatures
>salt everywhere

finding a self service wash tomorrow ;_;

Cold is pleb af

I need a first car, a daily driver. I know nothing about maintaining cars and I want to spend as little as possible on maintenance. I also plan to become my BMW expert neighbor's apprentice and DIY all the routine & preventative M/R.

Talk me out of this.

tampa.craigslist.org/psc/cto/d/bmw-633csi/6417964512.html

PS I've got roughly six months until I need a DD, so enough time to learn basics perhaps.

Parents are telling me that 3 series is for posers who want a BMW but can't afford one, sort of like a V6 Mustang.

They say the number signifies classiness & luxury. 5 is more luxurious and 7 is moreso than 5
>don't want me to get a 3 series because of this

Is it true? I was under the impression that it's a design feature that makes the numbers different. Don't know what though. If I'm right, what design feature??

7 series is a heavy as fuck luxury landyacht, 5 series is a luxury sedan that still handles well and isn’t too big or heavy, 3 series are smaller luxury coupes/sedans and are less equipped than the 5-7 series but are also a bit lower and often lighter. There’s nothing wrong with buying a 3 series; a poser move would be getting like a 520i or 318i. It’s not the series but the engine that determines poser status.

1990 E34 525i with the M20 here. Just hit 300,000km last week, still runs like a charm and turns heads. It has the M package on it with the M5 rims and interior. It's the love of my life.

>pic not mine

If you don't want a spend on maintenance, why the fuck are you interested in a 633? Get something rather common like an E36 or E39.

E34 M5 was so cool, made ridiculous power for an inline 6 of its time. I love 5 series in general, owned an e39 and an e60. Good looking car user.

Well a the 2.5L M20B25 compares in no way to an S38 of the M5. My car is slow as all hell but I that's why I love it. I've never been a speed freak.

You're not a poser for buying a BMW with a smaller engine.

It also uses less gas though. I like some speed personally, I’m more of a mountain touge guy but I like getting pushed back into my seat too. That’s what I like about my e60, since it makes around 280 hp which is a significant gain over the e39. What I love most though is the sound of bmw inline-6’s, they’re just lovely.
streamable.com/jfgz2

No I should have worded that differently. You’re a poser if you buy a weak bmw and then act like you’re hot shit. Honestly your attitude matters more than whatever car you get.

You're basically talking about those cunts with E46s (always E46s) who debadge their 318i's trying to pass it off as a 335ci?

My muffler is fucked so my car sounds much beefier than it actually is. It's great. It'll be fixed eventually.

Yeah man, I see them pretty often, just saw some dude in a 328 with m badges the other day.

I dropped mine, hence why it actually had a roar to it. It’s hard to hear in the video but it crackles and pops on upshifts and when I blip the throttle, sounds beautiful.

>bmwcca.org/
>>You should join if you havn't.

50 bucks a year to pretend I'm friends with other fags? Hard pass.

I actually have an M badge on my E34 (poster from above) but I think it's pretty tasteful considered it has the M extras like the rims, spoiler and interior. It it was just a stock as a rock 525i I wouldn't. I put it on the car when I first got the car at 17 (now I'm 20).

I can't be bothered reweld the muffler, but the rust is depressing to look at.

You have the M package so it’s not a big deal. I put an M plate frame and grill on mine but that’s the farthest I’ll go. I just love how the logo and tricolor looks though so it’s more of an aesthetic thing for me rather than trying to fool people.

And yeah if I were you I’d just have someone chop the muffler off, sounds much better without it.

It’s probably the same situation as the 1 series M where the M2 sells so well based on size they won’t give it a special engine.

The M240 does just as well at the track desu.

Even better though is to get the smaller 135i and just tune it to 370 hp and then you have the fastest car for about $12k US. You'll spend some cash fixing the damn N54 but it will be way cheaper than a new 2 and you can abandon it for the new 2 series in a few years with the new engine.

I have the same. About $3k in maintenance so far. How's yours running?

3 series is the classic BMW. The 5 and especially the 7 are just the luxury barges but are really siphoning money to spend money on producing sports cars.

Aka the M3.

335i is a great car. It doesnt get the tech 'features' like night vision lane change detection right away as the 7 does so that's why your parents say this. However its usually the best around the track

Watkins Glen and mid Ohio track day

E39 540i checking in

Sexy orange dash. Apparently its going away?

E90 slow to start on super cold mornings. Also leaking a tiny bit of coolant and the heat isn't super effective

camera enhancement makes it look orange

Way cheaper than that. I'm at 45k miles, took the turbos out and welded in some new wastegates. That was about $100 for the parts. Other than that, just regular stuff like oil change with full synthetic.

nice kia

Pic related

Eh?

Even ricier exhaust than the gooks

>fully functional lemans race car
>"rice"
Underage please leave

How is this "ricer"? All GT3 race cars have side exhausts retard.
I bet you thought the exhaust is integrated in the back splitter you stupid shitter.

You are just plain delusional if you cant admit that is not one of the most wigger exhaust and wing configuration ever planted on the rear end of a motor vehicle...

Buying an old i8 or leasing a new roadster, tell me not to

Lmao so you actually do think the exhaust is at the back.
End yourself underage shit

newfag

Blaming an internet user for giving a BMW the kia treatment

Last time I checked, kia was supposed to be copying bimmer

Kia exhausts are at the back fucking autismo

>actual race cars is rice
>side exhausts on actual race cars is rice
winter holiday kiddies get off my board.

That's...
That's a diffuser strake, not an exhaust.

Ayyy

I live in commiefornia, so LolNoWinter. Can’t wait for it to get warmer though so I can hit that sweet costal road touge with the windows and sunroof open. 2 more months of wind chill to go boyz

Buy it used and expect to pay $3k in repairs a year and it should be good.

Leasing is gay but the roadster looks awesome.

The problem with this car for me though is 1. Only bmw dealers can repair it and they know it.
2. Bicycle tires make it shit on a track.
3. Looks awesome but attracts unwanted attention imo. It would be a great daily if not for the price.

If you can afford to keep and maintain I say do it. Its literally designed by the F1 team from the Williams days. Realize the M2 is faster.

I dont think any i8's are out of warranty yet?

>took the turbos out
How much of bitch were they to pull, did you take out the engine or manage squeeze around it? Curious because my N84 has 86k on it and I know it’s only a matter of time now until the twins start to rattle

They're coming out this year
The early ones already dropped the price like mad on the used market
The only reason I'm thinking about getting one is that it has 4 seats and is a hybrid, so I don't pay taxes on it and I get free entry on the city
Not interested in the slightest about speed, just exhibitionism

Sounds perfect to you, i'd get the roadster if you can afford it though

Roadster is a 2 seater, can't cram the spawn in the back

Who decided it was spelt "bimmer" rather than "beamer"
Because that's fucking retarded

Probably some boomer in the 1980s, seems like older people use the term more frequently than younger. Being 25 now, I’ve always called them by the brand name

Wait explain. What did you put in.

Germans. Sounds good to their ears.

Haven't heard that one in a while (pretty much not true anymore, Tesla took the soccer mom market share)

What makes you think E24s are high maintenance?

>have e46
>power steering pump broke
>replace it
>alternator died
>replace it
>getting misfire on 1st, 4th, and 5th cylinders
>change spark plugs and ignition coils
>haven't had misfire since I installed it
All I need now to replace the brake booster because it's making a squeaking sound from the interior of the driver footwell, and the passenger side fuel pump/fuel tank level sensor because it's not giving me an accurate reading on how much fuel I have.

Soon my car will not have any problems, I hope.

Isn't there the M2 CS version coming out with the M4 engine? That will cost even more though.

It was about a day to take them out, since it was 'exploratory' work. After knowing how they came out, it was about half a day to put them back in. What made it 'easy' was having the car on a lift. I left the engine and subframe in and only removed bits that I needed to to get them out. That was things like power steering rack left dangling, removed water pump, motor mount, intercooler and fan, downpipes obviously, and disconnecting the O2 sensors topside so they could dangle.

Removed the old wastegate arm and bushings and put new ones in. You have to remove the turbo, then cut off the wastegate arm, drill out a retaining pin, press out the bushing, then do everything in reverse.

Pic attached is the scoring seen on the wastegate arm. This is because the bushing was crap material, so it wore excessively allowing the arm to rattle around.

And freshly installed wastegates.

Nice, work. Should I plan on having this done and when?

Wanted to dinan mine or possibly switch to a Z4. Trying to decide what's the best use of $10k

>I actually have an M badge on my E34 (poster from above) but I think it's pretty tasteful considered it has the M extras like the rims, spoiler and interior.

If your N54 engine is out of warranty, and you plan on using a tune, absolutely. The rattle can get very bad supposedly, so much so you lose significant boost because the wastegates don't fully close. It seems bound to happen, so either have extra turbos on hand or do the fix.

Got a really good deal on this as a first car, it had 157k mi and a 6mt. Was looking for something lighter and sportier (still would have liked that), but I really appreciate the compromise this makes by trading some of that away to gain comfort and style. Does a bit of everything and I'm really happy with it so far.

i still can't get over how ugly the e90 is
fucking bangle
the e92 and the e63 look fucking great yet the e65 and the e90 are probably the ugliest shitboxes to ever come out of bmw (hopefully)

E90 M3 looks amazing.
Base E90 is boring as shit.

Oh and E65 LCI looks pretty good too imo.

yeah i know
it's like they want to patronize everybody that couldn't afford the m3

the facelift model still looks meh at best to me
the pre facelift is sooooo fucking ugly god damn it's an insult to the e38

good, new battery

>finish timing chain guide and vanos and valley pan gasket job on my 540i on christmas eve, did a shitload of stuff, $1800 in parts including powder coating valve covers
>fire her up
>no excess noise, just starts up without drama
>can sense there's a misfire, get a misfire code for cylinder 3
>over the next week do all the diagnosis. swap ignition coils, swap spark plugs, swap fuel injectors even, nothing fixes it
>eventually get a compression tester, ZERO compression on cylinder 3
>do a leakdown while at top dead center compression stroke on cylinder 3, all the air's going out the exhaust
>worried about a bent valve; i use a borescope to examine the piston dome for valve damage.....nothing i can see
>use a 90 degree mirror attachment for the scope and examine the exhaust valves....they also look fine?
>tolerances on the lifter buckets are fine so probably not a broken spring

i'm just going to put it back together and run it with rislone and seaform, clean the bitch out something fierce.
hope to god it's carbon deposits on the valve making it stuck, or deposits on the valve seat preventing it from seating.
i don't want to pull the god damn cylinder head

Looks painful

Which modern BMW you would buy if you had money?

my soul is kill

>all
>this
>greentext
>just
>to
>look
>pretentious
You could have just said "I fixed a thing and did some stuff, but then no compression on cyl.3, I've looked at a bunch of stuff, but haven't found the culprit yet."

M2 and 2 series are the only real option. The other series have gotten pigfat as hell. 5 series are now landyachts and the 6 series are landbarges.

it's way more baffling than that. almost everything says it should be a bent valve but all the telltale signs of a bent valve are not there. Not to mention the engine was timed perfectly, i triple checked it, so if it IS bent it's got to be the most subtle fucking bend ever and if the engine was timed right how did it even bend?

here here

beautiful beem desu

all these words to sound pretentious. you could have just said "gay greentext, nigger cuck"

Are F30/F32 335i/435i's good cars?
I've been thinking of getting one but I see a lot of talk about how newer BMWs and German cars in general are bad for some reason.

They are "bad" for autistic purists who hate turbos, electronic steering etc.
They are great cars, engine has lots of potential, handling is very good with the M Sports package etc.

Are they as expensive to repair and maintain in burgerland as I've heard?

I don't think those cars are old enough to become a hassle to maintain

So basically most of the negative talk about German cars come from poorfags buying old or beat up models and then applying their experience to the whole brand or country?

Got my ER competition oil coolers installed. Should be ready for Thunderhill on the 20th

Nice work user.

I'm waiting for my turbos to go out just so I can upgrade but no rattle yet at 68k

Bmw has made several famous design errors such as the water pump that always fails. Combine with Porshes IMF failure and you have a reputation.

What's the rattle sound like? I'm at 68k on my n54. I don't want to spend the cash right now on new turbos

Jesus, the absolute state of BMW owners. Your parents are complete badgewhores. Are they asian by any chance?

Ask for a 1 series 135i, thats the only decent BMW and it got discontinued.

Thanks m8.
The rattle sounds like putting a ball-bearing inside a can and shaking it. You'll really notice it when the car is under-load (accelerating, up a hill, etc) when the car is requesting boost. You can detected rattle at idle by removing the vacuum hoses going to the wastegates. These are on the left side of the vehicle, you'll see two small black vacuum canisters.

Very good looking car. I have almost the exact the same setup, minus what look like aftermarket brakes. Even the rims are the same (Apex ARC-8). I kept the stock 6-piston Brembo and put Stoptech slotted rotors on. Be sure to get a good cold air intake with scoops; the car sounds like a vacuum cleaner when the boost kicks in.

Pic related is my Salty-Boi

autoscout24.de/angebote/-b64c9ba5-d299-4566-8422-ecaef1fe13b5?pr=0&fromparkdeck=1

one reason

>steel wheels
Damn E87's have reached shitbox status already

Cleanest e36 engine bay ive ever seen
Dont you think some türk has just rolled back the odo?