What's the best undercoating for a vehicle frame?

What's the best undercoating for a vehicle frame?

Is POR15 a meme?

Other urls found in this thread:

cradpdf.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/PDFS/unc53/p526285.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>not galving your frame like you should

bumping for later. i have a few good links.

so keep this thread alive while I finally sleep for a few hours.

the cheaper option is chain oil spray. The stuff is made to stick and cheap enough for me to buy a can once a month and spray onto rusty parts

Fluid Film

It seeps in and creates a really solid layer. Smells like death as its based on sheep wool fat

bumping for user

This works but it makes everything underneath your car disgusting. All of the dirt of the road goes into the oil and forms a sludge.

sounds like this would cause areas/pockets of moisture and lead to more rust issues.

the dust and stuff is what makes it strong.
oil and water don't mix

I like this stuff on the inside of body panels

>living in rust states

literally lmao-ing @ ur lives

It smells pretty good when it's fresh. The regular stuff is too liquidy for an undercoating and washes off too quickly. The thick brush on version works much better so I've heard.

if you do por15 the right way its for life, doing it the right way is hard as fuck though

bmp

Just tar it

I want to know too and have looked at por15. I'm leaning away from it for my use though.
I'm rejuvenating a classic car and have come to the point where it's time to do the frame. Most of the truck is rusty except for the running gear and part of the frame which has accumulated a greasy buildup over the years. Everything under the grease is immaculate; paint, metal, even some wood. I've just about decided that way I'm going to do is to mix wheel bearing grease and a thick gear oil over heat, melt together, and paint on the frame after I'm done cleaning everything and replacing parts. Should be good for another 60 years and if someone needed to they'd be able to remove the stuff to perform service, unlike por15 which is there forever. I'm also seeking to maintain as much originality as possible so the less I add to the vehicle the better.

bumpin'

POR15 works well under 2 primary conditions:

1. It's not continually exposed to UV from the sun
2. It's not exposed to a lot of salt

If your intention is to use POR15 to protect against the elements in the north where winter is a salt-fest, then it's going to fail.

What IS good for salt then?

cosmoline

having a car being built from gorious french steel

recently saw my cars underside on a giant lift, 0 spots of rust despite being 21 yo disposeable french grocery getter that was driven through 21 salty winters

Buying a car that's galvanized from the factory

The body will be nice to look at when you wonder what caused the fuel pump to fail for the 9th time this week

God I wish Americans liked to import french cars, but they don't. Why can't I find a cheap one that someone else already shipped over?

Is there anything good for crazy amounts of salt? I live in the Northeast and it's fucking absurd here how much salt is on the road.

My old car was galvanized from the factory, but I'm a fucking idiot and bought something else that isnt.

Gel for the outside, liquid for the inside of the frame

I found this link to a study conducted by the Canadian forces found that Corrosion Free treatments work the best.
cradpdf.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/PDFS/unc53/p526285.pdf

Personally I sprayed every nook and cranny with the stuff when I was working in the garage at a Canadian tire, and used RustCheck brand green can on the rear subframe. The corrosion free seems to stock better and protect better,as just this week I had my car on my hoist and the top layer of metal that I sprayed with Rust Check is now flaking off, revealing more surface rust that was supposed to be inhibited by the product.

That being said. The effectiveness of the Corrosion Free treatment is only as good as the person applying it. The basic underbody spray costs ~ $80 at my old store but the service manager wanted the car on the lift for no longer than 30 mins as all mechanics and apprentices are flat rate.
So if you want a complete job, make friends with someone who works at crappy tire, pay for the "complete package" and bring a Tim's Take 10 for the guys and the techs will always take care of you.

My best DIY results have been wash it well and do used oil undercoats, many times. If you can afford it, New Hampshire Oil Undercoat is great.

has anyone tried the "cannon grease"?
where did you get it from and what was it like?

skub

if youre in leafland

>Is POR15 a gimmick?
Fix'd

bitumen, you can put it as much as you need.
Don't use the sprayable ones tho

literally shit as it will rust underneath

care to elaborate? I need to know if I did it right
Also curious
Absolutely not,
this will happen.