e39 with a few simple mods
specifically a 540 m sport

All of them are good in their own ways.
Can't go wrong with any of em

8cyl gets expensive

not really
the m62 is pretty solid
unless you're concerned about gas mileage

well yeah but you're not going to be fixing something every week is what i was trying to say
ofc you can go with an m54 which is probably a more financially responsible choice in 90% of cases

Only gypsy drive bmv!

E36 328is or E39 528i I'd say is your best bet
You can't really go wrong as long as it has an I6
The M62s can be a bitch when they need service
I've chained up many M62s and still hate doing it
It's a good motor, just not worth the trouble/money, it redlines at 6k and does not do well at hanging high rpms for long periods if you plan on doing some spirited driving

it has a few specific expensive things you can fix all at once that'll last you 100k

E39

I'd go with an E36 or E39, depending on whether you want a tighter handling driver's car or a comfy autobahn cruiser that's still great in the corners. E46s are fantastic cars, but they're too much of a compromise imo (except the M3, which is perfect)

old mercs and bmws are albanian organ thief tier.
Wouldn't want to be seen in one

I miss my e39 :((((((

I wouldn't get an e46. Ms are great, but I couldn't justify the upkeep. E36 Ms are really the only M I would own, and I dn't want a 3 series that isn't an M.

I would get an E36 M and a 528i or 530i, and I probably will get them at some point.

I like the E34 but owning a 4-door car when you always drive alone feels wrong.

Nah, 5 series look really good and having more doors is just more convenient even if you’re usually alone.

Insulting to list the e36 in that list. e36 is below poverty tier, just like mk3 golfs. E39 has always been my fav although the rear lights always felt a bit too small.

Whats the viability of FI for E39s? 530 vs 540 vs M5s? Thread piqued my interest in them.

E34 thanks Joe.

e30

540i is probably your best bet for turbo

alternatively buy an e39 with a blown engine for cheap and ls swap.
youtube.com/watch?v=V8l_8rp-fek

Even better than the m54? what makes you say that though? I realize now that the 400hp from the m5 is probably enough considering the trouble/cost to boost it.

M62 non vanos holds more hp on stock internals.
M54 is good for 300-400hp, M62 for 500+hp

the s62 in the m5 will be the most beneficial for gains
i believe you can get to 550-580 easily on stock internals with a supercharger

S62 costs 5 times more than a M62 or M54 block

i did say most beneficial for easy power,not the most financially sound decision

I see. I was browsing some forums and most of the people talking about m62s or S62s were saying " You bought the wrong car if you wan't more power" and "Why don't you try tightening up the nut BEHIND THE WHEEL!" It's like these geezers have never wanted to go fast...

So essentially a 98 and older 540i w/o vanos might be the most cost effective way of making a e39 really fast?

yeah don't listen to those shitters
i don't think there's going to be a noticeable difference with the vanos engines,just going to boil down to preference
i'd personally go with an 03 m sport and supercharge it

Maan, I drive e46 and I plan to get VW T4 after that... but if I don’t it’s gonna be e34!

A guy here in iceland that ran a turbo on a stock M50B25 pushing 5-600hp for many years, always racing, drifting and redlining it, i think a piston cracked after around 30.000km of maniacal driving

M50 is the best bmw engine for turbo.
My friend even swapped his M54B30 for a M50B25 non vanos for turbo, pushing about 600-700hp currently.
too bad E39 and E46's dont have M50

What about US spec M52/S52? I've heard those are the second best option for boost. The M52 being a little better due to thicker cylinder walls.

U have never driven a BMW, have you?

I've owned 7 of 'em.

what should i know before buying one of these sweet little units? considering the E30 as well.

bump

You need to do the cooling system and replace all rubber gaskets.