I have no idea what the deal is with people who drive cars when it comes to motorcycles and would like someone to...

I have no idea what the deal is with people who drive cars when it comes to motorcycles and would like someone to explain this to me. So let me start by saying I'm a new rider, and started in about August, but something happened earlier today that I still don't understand.

So I was sitting at a red light and, so I didn't have someone immediately change lanes into me or just stall out on my pos beater katana, I left the stop slow, but it was apparently slow enough that the guy behind me felt it necessary to honk as many times as he could. Later down the same stretch of road was my turn, and it wasn't at a light at all this time. I turn on my blinker (it is a small blinker in the back I fully admit), flashed my brake light like a good boy, and began to downshift. The second I lean into the turning lane the guy who honked earlier passes me at max two feet from my right side blaring his horn in my ear like I did something wrong.
Tl;Dr I was the subject of road rage and a near collision for being cautious and going into a turning lane.

I'm just trying to figure it out, what could I have done wrong here?

Pic related is me and my pos Katana 600.

Some people are just dicks, one of the things keeping me from getting into biking. All it takes is one guy in a bad mood to smear you

guy might've had a shitty day and expected a "race bike" to take off faster and he's unloading on you. for all you know he got cucked by a bike rider in the past and he's got a grudge

One of your advantages being on two wheels is your ability to get away from a situation much easier than a car. Don't ever hang around with cars or trucks. If you're first in line, get away from traffic fast. Try to be by yourself on the road as much as possible.

Looks like just a dick having a bad day, but get away from him like you know you can.

Cagers are fucksticks my dude, on the first weekend I owned my bike I had some redneck in an old suburban dump an entire bottle of cheap vodka out the window trying to splash me with it and then chucked the bottle at me. Literally did nothing to him aside from be behind him on a single lane road.

An unreliable bike is a danger to you and drivers.
Don't ever ride angry. You're going to get cutoff and fucked with a lot. Sometimes on purpose but mostly not. Some people are dumb and others are assholes, most people are both at times. Riding up angrily or aggressively only puts you in greater danger. Just fucking forget it instantly and get some space from shitty drivers. Maybe get a camera for your helmet or bike to dispute your inevitable crash. After about a year of daily riding you're going to start to actually feel confident, don't you're going down. You're going down anyway but if you're overconfident you're going to go down harder because you'll be going faster. I can't really tell what your shoes are but get real boots to protect your feet and ankles.
Have fun.

I hate bikes since I've hit an E30 head on in my early 20s. Granted, it was my fault and I lost 6 teeth and broke 2 limbs because of it.
Some people are just dicks.

Some people just hate bikes.

Don't take it personally, there's a lot of them out there.

Easiest thing you can do is just let it go, no point getting caught up in somebody else's bullshit.

Riding around traffic and intersections is the worst on motorcycles. Stick to quiet back roads where you can open up to your heart's content.
But if you really have to ride with traffic, see . You have to take safety into your own hands and don't let aggressive drivers distract you from doing that. It happens.

People are dicks. It's a lot more entertaining to ignore them since it bothers them a whole lot more than you responding to their irrational bullshit. Especially fun with the ones that try and bitch you out at stop lights.

I don't remember the exact numbers from the hurt report but I think that something like the median crash speed for motorcycle accidents was between 20-30mph, meaning they probably happened at intersections.
Although anecdotal, most horror stories I hear at bars or read on forums involve oblivious cagers running red lights and t-boning the biker or turning into the biker at an intersection.
However, a cager deliberatley attempting to hurt a motorcyclist is very rare(I think some trucker in russia got 'attempted manslaughter' for opening a door on a lane-splitter).
Ride in your comfort zone, but always be aware of those mouthbreathers. It helps to think that they're all out to kill you.

Had the same thing during the first year of riding. You kinda start to doubt yourself wether it is you who is unintentionally fucking up somehow. And that is not always a bad thing because there is still a lot to learn. But you have to accept that a lot of cagers simply are dumb as shit and will hate on bikes simply because theyre 'smaller', just as many people will joke about running a smaller car off the road when theyre driving anything bigger like a truck. You will get used to it after a while and enjoy your ride more. If it comforts you, you can always purchase a helmet cam for yourself to check footage incase anything happened where you weren't entirely sure what happened and who was in the wrong. Ride safe.

>Ride a super fast vehicle with suspension tech that makes every stock sportscar that costs less than $80k look like a can'tturn landbarge
>seriously a used 2005 yamaha R1 resprung for the rider's weight got into the top 5 fastest burgerring laps
>Still hold people up

Found your fucking problem

Those 90 degree turns are hell on new riders actually, what with all the gravel that builds up on them and how you're going from lane to lane which gives you fuck all room to try and take a good line with room for error

>new rider takes an intersection too fast
>running wide
>ADD LEAN ADD LEAN
>WEW IM SCRUBBIN MAH CHICKN STRIPS
>also accelerating right now, because that's what you do right?
>highside

in the defense of many beginner riders, many starter bikes are just sensible 250-300cc single or twin cylinder mills with plastics that make it look like a s1000rr to the average nobike.

That's why I believe that new motorcyclists should have extensive experience riding motocross and trails, in addition to gymkhana and track basics.
Moreover, I recommend reading as much as possible motorcycle safety related literature. Some of the books I have on my shelf and often revisit when I feel I'm starting to ride like a tit:
twist of the wrist
more profficient motorcycling
let's ride
sport riding techniques
motorcycle roadcraft

Or you could just buy a bike that looks as slow as it is and start with the actual basics instead of trying for the most dangerous and difficult types of riding. Just saying.

>motocross
Fuck up a jump, break a leg or too
>Trails
OH FUCK THAT'S A TREE
>Gymkhana
Now see if you keep this 500lb machine perfectly balanced at 1mph by controlling three different limbs with the utmost precision you'll be fine, it's easy mate
>Track
Just go really fast and brake before corners, but still go really fast, nothing will go wrong

Those poser 250-650cc sportbikes are also really uncomfortable. I don't understand the appeal. I had a ninja 500 and my wrists would go dead every highway ride. I had a GSXR600 later and if I was going to take a trip I'd just throw a tank bag on and just lay on it to relax.

you're not made of fucking glass. I'd rather beginners risk breaking a leg or hitting a tree vs getting whacked by an inconversant whore in a chelsea tractor.

>poser 250-650cc sportbikes are also really uncomfortable

Modern faired 300cc bikes like the ninja 300 or r3 offer upright seating positions despite the sporty looks. They're relatively slow and uncomfortable but mild-mannered and light. If you want to become a good rider you have to learn how to control a light motorcycle at its limits, not just hold on for dear life and ride around in one gear like a sissy. Only when the machine becomes the bottleneck of your skills should you consider an upgrade.
A large share of accidents happen with riders poorly accustomed to their shiny new 600-1000cc rocketships.

Jealous fucktards who're petrified at the thought of someone being vulnerable, and angry that you're faster than them.

Yeah I've got full gear. Only thing I would like is a better jacket. I'm extremely cautious just cause I'm new to this, but I'll try to chill out.

I went with the Kat 600 cause I'm a big dude and want something that'll stay fun after I get used to it. What's wrong with the "poser bikes?"

I've only put 1,500 miles on the road and don't want to fuck up going 15-20 mph over, pushing me out of the bike world, cause I didn't know what I was doing. My bike is an absolute piece of shit and I'd like to keep it around for a while longer cause there's no feeling like it, but if I hit someone I couldn't emergency brake for or go wide on a corner I should've slowed down for cause I was driving like a jackass without full knowledge of how to ride then I'm sorry but I shouldn't be on the road. That's why I'm still going slow fuckwit, I'm new to this. Same reason rich teens fuck up with fast cars and wind up dead.

So build up the speed with your confidence. Maybe get some professional instruction to tell you where you're going wrong?

It's okay to squid around if you're new, but you need to practice cornering faster and not going wayyy wide.
Just make sure you're wearing full gear, and you'll pretty much shrug off your first crash.
> But I won't crash
You will. Everyone does sometime. But the right gear will mean it's merely painful, rather than crippling.