Which audis are haldex and which torsen?

Which audis are haldex and which torsen?
Can I not tell haldex to dump the power on the rear axle?

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?56228-50-50-Haldex-Tuning-available!-(NOT)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

are you a retarded person?

>Can I not tell haldex to dump the power on the rear axle?

Yes, unlike the GKN copy of haldex in the focus RS the Haldex systems can deliver upto 100% of the power to the rear wheels.

AFAIK if the engine is pointed in the correct direction (i.e. front to back) then you're looking at a real torsen quatro system. If the engine is going side to side that's the haldex immitation.

In theory the haldex can do full lockup between front and rear axles, effectively sending all power to the rear as well as the front. How to trick it in to doing that I couldn't tell you.

‘Quattro with Ultra’ isn't torsen

Huh. I guess it figures they would have continued to develop newer versions of it.

Does the TT suck?
I think it looks kinda gay, but with some work it could be good, right?

A3 and smaller are haldex.

>How to trick it in to doing that I couldn't tell you.
Pretty sure there's ways of reprogramming the control box.

It's mechanically the same thing as a Beetle, which is very similar to the Golf/A3. TTS gets the Golf R/S3 drivetrain, TTRS gets the turbo 5 from the RS3 and sounds pretty fucking great.

It's nice to think it could be easy as pushing a button or something similar but I'm not an Audi expert. In Subaru's automatic transmission implementation (which is basically the same sort of idea of a haldex in terms of it being FWD with a clutch pack connecting to the rear) it even says right in the manual that if you drop it in to 1 or 2 that it will lock the front and rear axles. Helpful to know in the snow.

forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?56228-50-50-Haldex-Tuning-available!-(NOT)
Apparently people have been making aftermarket controllers for a while now with more aggressive profiles. There's definitely a market for it.

There are haldex controllers you can set up as you like, modern ones can hook up to your phone so you can tune it on the fly
There are some piggyback boxes for the stock controller, but they can at best force 50/50
I've seen some custom jobs that can disengage the front clutches, but the stock rear axle is either solid or open, no real diff to speak of

That's pretty cool. I drove a haldex Volvo off and on for a while. It was pretty nice that it would wake up and kick power to the rear when you really leaned on it, but it would have benefited from a somewhat more aggressive programming.

Vulva is a cunt and super encrypted their system so that you can't slap on the vag units
It's why Volvo tuning is p. Much dead now

fag/10?

Angry eyes on a B5 look really fucking bad and that's not Nogaro Blue.

it's a b4, the blue was entirely random and the angry eyes turned out bad in this thingy, but irl i can't stand the dopey look of the stock lamps

It's a B5 A4, B5 is the chassis code. Here's its predecessor (chassis code B4, model name 80).

do they have torsen?
i've seen them in drift events both in awd and rwd conversions, so i'm assuming the drivelline has to be pretty tough to take the abuse

They do have proper mechanical AWD.
Stock 5-speed manuals aren't that strong, 6-speeds from the S models (S2, S4, S6) are ridiculously tough. People put 600hp or more through them all the time and they hold up pretty well.

so i should look for a 6 speed or an s line
i see 3dtuning says they're from '99
any years/engines i should look for or avoid?

Lengthwise motor: Torsen

Eh, S-line is just an appearance package, for the overbuilt 01E 6-speed you'd need an actual S2, S4 or S6, which happen to be pretty expensive and very high-maintenance cars.
The 01A 5-speed will hold up fine at stock or somewhat-above-stock power levels.

As for engines, everything below the 1.8T is pretty slow and doesn't have a lot of aftermarket support, but should generally be decently reliable.
The 1.8T is prone to oil sludge if it hasn't been taken care of, which really fucking sucks to fix. Very tuneable engine though.
The 2.4 and 2.8 V6s are big, heavy and thirsty, but less finnicky than the 1.8T.
And finally there's the 2.7 twin turbo in the S4, which is basically what happens when the V6 and 1.8T have a baby. Two turbos, lots of tuning potential, but a total maintenance whore. Turbos almost always blow out at 100k miles and replacing them is an engine-out job, for example.

They built them from 1994 to 2001, with a facelift around 1997. Just get the nicest one you can find, but keep in mind they don't like being neglected and aren't the easiest cars to work on.

i'd prefer NA to tarbo
any supercharged options?

They didn't have a stock supercharged option, but there are supercharger kits for the V6.

so NA v6, with a 6 speed would be the most reliable starting point?
i have no intention of keeping it stock, mind you
still roadworthy, but i'm looking for a fun track/weekender to replace my beetle bug

I don't think the non-S cars came with the 6-speed.Swapping one from an S4 in is obviously possible, as the 2.7TT and 2.8 are essentially the same block, the 2.7TT just has a slightly smaller bore, stronger internals and some extra provisions to handle boost like 4-bolt mains instead of 2-bolt mains. You can easily build a 2.8 for boost though, and converting it to 4-bolt mains would literally be a case of having a machine shop drill and tap the holes. The 2.8 even has better flowing heads with much bigger ports.

Honestly they're decent projects if you're into Audis, but you can have much more fun with something like a similar-sized BMW. The Audis are good highway missiles, not touge or track monsters.

gonna be honest, i'm much more used to vag than bmw, but i can definitely see how a bimmer would be leagues cheaper
i just want my comfy sedan missile

Also look into B5 Passats, they are built on the same platform but they have more modern rear suspension and a longer wheelbase which makes for a higher level of comfy. They also had the 2.8 V6 and AWD as options, and people have even put S4 drivetrains into them. They're heavier than the A4 though, and I'm not sure if they're glavanized like the A4 either.
This also means lots of B5 Passat parts can be ordered instead of B5 A4 parts, since they're the same thing but often cheaper. Stuff like this is an absolute godsend when you need to replace all the front control arms, for example.

passat is a wagon, tho innit?
and vw awd is always haldex trash, n?

Problem is most of those rear diff aren't meant to handle the majority of the power being put out, they're not designed to handle the majority of the duty

4Motion is the same thing as Haldex quattro because the engine is transverse, the Passat did have a wagon version, but the sedan's are more common

Both the Passat and A4 came in sedan and wagon bodystyles, and VW generally uses Haldex but the B5 is an exception (sitting on a longitudinal Audi platform and all).

unless you're talking about the high power sedans there is no diff to speak of
it's just a straight tube of metal with some clutches at the end

The original TT was an Mk4 Golf with a bodykit. It's not a complete turd of a car. The modern day TT is an affordable, mini R8 and the one of the last hurrahs of the straight-5 engine.

Everything that is up to 4 cylinders - haldex.
Everything above 4 cylinders - torsen.
So, the Audi A1 (probably), the A3 and torsen for A4 and above. The only exception here is the A4 since you can get quattro on the 4 cyl 1.8 TFSI, which comes with Torsen.

It's mostly marketing bullshit.

If you're after a comically fast B5 Passat, might aswell go for the 4.0L W8. You'll have to wait for parts tho.

which passats are we talking about tho?
i'm so confused

This generation specifically.

>just a straight tube of metal
That's the driveshaft
>with some clutches at the end
That's a rear diff, dingus

Yeah, the W8 is hilarious. Actually had the pleasure of seeing one in person, they're pretty rare as no one bought them.

hmmm
i like the headlights better on this one, but i prefer the hood/grille on the audi

no, fag
there are no gears in there, just clutches

There is such a thing as a clutch activated it clutchpack diff
If it transfers the energy from a driveshaft to two CV axles it is technically a differential

a differential refers to a particular arrangement of gears

There's also the C5 A6, which is even more comfy, but it's also much bigger and heavier so the front suspension wears out even faster, and most of them have a pretty shitty automatic transmission that can't even handle the torque of the stock 2.7TT or 4.2 V8, let alone a tuned one.