Anybody have any experience with the 8.0l V10 Magnum? I hear it gets poor gas mileage but reliable overall

Anybody have any experience with the 8.0l V10 Magnum? I hear it gets poor gas mileage but reliable overall

>8.0L V10
>poor gas mileage
Imagine my shock

It's a good engine. We had a 3500 we used to pull boats up out of the launch with (My family owns a popular launch spot and we'll launch people's boats for a small fee). Never had any reliability issues with it whatsoever, the reason we got rid of the truck was that it rusted out and fell apart from being used at a saltwater boat launch for 5 years. Motor had 60,000 super hard miles on it at that point and no issues, just regular maintenance. IDK if It's superior to the Cummins though for towing purposes.

>8.0 V10
>Only makes 300 hp

Lmao, Typical oversized, terribly inefficient, stone age American engine

Also makes 450 ft lbs at 2400 rpms. I made this thread to hear from anybody who’s had experience with it. Not some assumingly European faggot who’s bitter at the fact that their country is shit and talks about “oversized, innefficient, Stone Age American engine” as if their country somehow has something more to offer.

The engine itself is reliable, it's shit like the water pump, starter, alternator and everything else going bad every 50k miles.

8.0L!!! Seriously what were the 'engineers' thinking?!

So many more ways to get to the desired torque, yet Americans only know displacement!

8.0L engine! Thanks for making me and my m8s literally die of laughter

You know there’s this thing called long term reliability user....Possibly just possibly the 90s engineers at Dodge made a large displacement V10 with lower power intentionally to allow the engine to survive long term heavy usage without over stressing it

I prefer the 8.1 vortec big Block in chebby trucks. Decent engine tho.

Admittedly, 300bhp from an 8.0L V10 seems quite...disappointing. I mean a Honda shitbox with a turbo bolted on will very easily churn out 300bhp, and yes, I'm sure it'll be extreme fun. But good luck towing boats or heavy cargo with that little straight 4 shitbox engine.

Another thing to consider is long term reliability. That 8.0L undertuned v10 will generally work for far longer than any turbocharged straight four making the same power, even if both engines have been serviced regularly.

I know fuckall about that 8.0L V10, hell, I'm not even sure whether it's petrol or diesel, but before looking at meme horsepower numbers, look at what those engines were originally designed for user.

inb4 haha i was just torlleldrolrlring you :^) :^)

Are you just pretending to be retarded user?

The V10 Dodges had a thing where the center cylinders would overheat and suffer scoring and metal transfer with heavy loads. It was something to do with internal coolant flow and there was a revised block available but diesel took off not long after so nobody cared about the V10 anymore. If you're doing typical half-ton stuff it's not a problem but towing 20K through hills/mountains or in the deep south and you might have problems if it's got an original unrevised block

Not OP
Let's say you have the unrevised engine. How would you fix that issue? Different water pump, different coolant additives, lower temp thermostat...?

Thanks,
Never mind i figured it out anyways.

Now im posting ylyl pics.

You have to replace the engine really

>muh 37hp/l reliability

This is a big boy truck and is not for poorfags

>chrysler
>any year

>Euro semis have 12-14l engines and only make 300 hp

Imagine my kek

That’s an earth shattering 21hp/L

The local launch has a 40 year old tractor that they launch with into the sea as well.

Don't know how powerful but it pulls up 35' boats with ease. It's a really ghetto 3rd world operation so I doubt they wash it at the end of every day either.

With a turbo.

We used to mostly launch 49' commercial trawlers, but also personal pleasure craft etc. Never had a problem.

>what is understressing engine to make it last longer

m8 the body of any vehicle that houses this engine will turn to complete rust before a 2.0 turbo fails

>we didn't squeeze every single horsepower the block can handle so the engine can last a few hundred thousand miles without exploding

I'd run a bigger radiator and higher flow rate water pump
I don't know anything specific about that engine but that's just what sounds right