Brrrrr

When you start you car in the winter do you let it warm up before driving?

Other urls found in this thread:

webasto.com/int/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

just enough for me to finish brushing off the snow. It warms up faster as you drive it.

even if it's not winter i let it warm up for a good minute or two

>knows its better to start driving instead of idling
>windshield frosted to shit and defrost isnt working because coolant is cold

wat do

I put my car in neutral, push it into the middle of the street, and I start the engine with a wide open throttle.

Its usually plugged in and warm-ish when I leave

At work I'll start it up and let it idle for the usual 5-ish minutes before I leave

If I get there late and can log out right away I'll just start it up and drive

I've got an RX7, so I just start revving it hard straight away. Rotaries don't need to warm up like conventional ICEs and need to be revved hard from cold

My bmw has a remote controlled autonomous heating system so whenever i get in the car it's warmed up already

That's kinda gay, I like it.

>having working defrost

kek fucking richfags on Veeky Forums i swear

>not keeping a gallon of de-icer to wipe off all windows
>not having a can of deicer spray for the inside

Assuming 0w oil, 20 seconds tops, then drive away smoothly till my oil temp gauge gets to temperature, then eurobeat intensifies.

Vodka works great too.

retard

I let mine warm up to the first tick mark and then I get going. I only rev up to about 3-4k on my tach until it gets to engine temp

Obviously, you've never owned a rotary. Revving a rotary while it's cold is essential for the oiling and to prevent damage to the apex seals

>wasting vodka on your car instead of just drinking it

That is a complicated name for something so simple. In my car, its just called remote start and does the exact same thing(including ac/heated seats, some BMW's dont even have those). Europeans, even over-engineering names.

Pouring some hot water on the windshield works great

you can't plug in your block heater at work? or is it rarely cold enough to have to do that when you're done with work?

what a piece of shit.

the manual for my mercedes 300sd says to start and begin driving. Probably better for it to just get warm fast and spend less time cold.

>deicer spray for the inside

How about not having a leaky piece of shit in the first place

my 07 pontiac grand prix GXP does the same

pretty gucci when my friends 16 focus doesnt have near as much neat shit as my pontiac, including a projector.

My car is parked in my heated garage. You wouldn't let your pupper sleep on the cold, bare ground too, would you?

I have a garage.

Depends on where I am

At the main station/HQ there are not enough outlets for everyone, and with everyone using an engine heater at the same time the fuses tend to go off

If I'm down in the valley and parked next to one of the pumping stations then I can plug it in, leaving it on for a good 8 hours. Its more than cold enough all winter so that the engine warmer makes a big difference, even if the truck starts with absolutely no issue no matter the temperature. Its just so much more comfy with an already luke-warm engine, with the added bonus of better MPG and less wear on the engine

>Automatic NB Miata
>not just turning the vents to floor and the fans to full for max comfy

he deserves to freeze

>the "virgin warm up"
>THE CHAD SLUDGE FACTORY

I only wait for the oil to flow everywhere and then drive off SLOWLY to warm it up.

For my bike I wait untill the engine has reached about 30-40°C and I don´t rev it untill it is at least at about 70-80°C.

My tuned scooter gets full 26 kW cold, its engine only has issues with overheating when delivering 400 Nm for too long.
It can be safely reved to its limit at -30 °C motor temperateture.

What am I supposed to do with a diesel when it's cold?
Let it idle to warm up? I think that would take an hour or so.
Warm up while driving and keep it out of the power band? The power band is right above idle.

yes. actually I had to bring my car to the shop & spend the money on a fresh battery because of the cold! Brrrr

Drive it slowly, don´t rev it and don´t accellerate hard untill it has reached operating temperature.

Nice polestar user

Actually it's called Webasto parking heater, different thing.
Webasto is not unique only for bmw's btw
webasto.com/int/

wait why is letting it idle in -40C for 10 minutes a bad idea ?

What do if the highway with 65 mph is located 0.5 miles from my house on the commute to work?

I let it warm up for a minute or two, doesn't really make much of a difference though. Driving a cold turbo car sucks ass because you don't want to rev too high, but you also don't want to throttle too hard and make boost.

4 and some 6 cylinder diesels can't reach operating temperatures if idling below freezing. On a 2.0tdi I watched the oil temperature drop when idling at - 3c. Drive it like a grandma until it gets warm.
I have the same problem but it's not a highway, it's just a regular 2way road where everyone does 140kmh in the morning. I don't have 6th gear so my car revs quite high at high speed so I just drive it at 85-90kmh, I'm not ruining my engine because some bitch is late for work.
Sometimes I start it and then lock the car with my other key and leave it for a few minutes while I go do some other shit.

My car came with a special key to start the engine in winter and cuts the engine when any of the doors are opened to stop people driving off it with

I live in a place which doesn't have any real winter so its useless

Who the fuck doesn't let it warm up? It's -22 to -25 c outside, you have to litterally let the fluids loosen up or you could lose lubrication and fuck your rings!

>replying to the most obvious bait

i own an FC, let is warm up for a minute or 3 if its below 0 out, and don't shift past 3k rpm until the engine is at about operating temp. Then i'm good to go for high shifts

If I'm driving to work, I jump in an rev it like bambambam.

Back from work? It's cold as fuck here that shit gets started at least 10 min before I leave.

>mfw I drive a car with an AWD system and a powerful turbo married to perfection and turn on mishfaiaringu shisutemu at freezing cold temps

Not sure about your car, but mine will rev to damn near 2k when its this cold out in idle.

Why have it go through that many revolutions with no load to heat it up when i could drive it near the same RPM, with load, to heat it up faster? Not just that, but while its idling cold, the combustion is rich and fowled to fuck just putting deposits everywhere while it takes longer to heat up in idle.

It's worse to idle rather than drive off. Just fuckn punch it, m8.

lel I know the feel. my 05 gtp has a HUD, heated leather, remote start, tapshift, trac control, you can click each dome light on individually and there's that neat little computer thingy that you can customize the lights, locks, monitor boost, check MPG etc. As for warming it up I just wait until the idle settles down a bit then keep it under 4k rpm till it's up to temp.

Recently got viper smartstart on my car, so fuck yes. That shit's idling with the heat cranked for 20 minutes before I clock out from work.

Same

I always wait til my gauge shows 90°f before moving, then keep it in the lower rev range for a while. If it's cold, I wait until 130° to turn on the heat.

Are parking heaters not used in the US?

I think the northern states have them. They're also called block heaters.

Dumb yuropoor here, I thought a block heater uses electricity to heat the engine block?
A parking heater burns fuel, has a water pump to circulate it and also controls the fan motors to heat the interior.

naw I just wait till the oil pressure and alternator voltage stabilises
seems linked with how well the engine is running

>not having a blanket on your windshield

Have some cold weather country advice.

I run a block heater
idling a car to warm it up is a waste of energy and idling it for 20 minutes is putting that much extra wear on the engine.

Yeah I let it idle for a few minutes, oil is like syrup when cold.
Not really, a block heater keeps your coolant warm, so you have cab heat very quickly.

Let's assume he's using bottom of the barrel vodka.

Northern freedom enthusiast here:

Never heard of a parking heater, sounds cool

Let's assume windshield washer fluid doesn't cost $2 a gallon.

Lean your head out the window and drive you pussy.

yeah nah over here winter is like 15 degrees Celsius at the worst, so when my car starts up, it runs fine

Well we just call them all webasto, because its the most known brand