Sup friends. I moved to Minneapolis a few months ago and want a winter beater for next year...

Sup friends. I moved to Minneapolis a few months ago and want a winter beater for next year. I wanna get something with AWD that isn't a truck. Suggestions?

In a perfect world, I'd get an AMC Eagle because it makes my cock throb, but I hear they're unreliable as fuck and parts will be hard to find, so next best thing is some mid-2000s Subaru, I'd wager. What would Veeky Forums get that's similar?

Other urls found in this thread:

eauclaire.craigslist.org/cto/d/1983-amc-eagle-4x4-wagon/6426485974.html
amceaglesden.com/guide/How_To_Manually_Shift_the_Transfer_Case
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Undercoat what you have now if it isn't rusty and put snow tires on it. Minneapolis and really all the metro area plus surrounding counties have god tier plow service, what little they can't get is more than manageable with just snow tires and fwd. Avoid early 2000s Subarus as the headgaskets explode and they have zilch rustproofing

Also budget is like 3 grand

Goddamn this V70 tho

Yeah I'm not worried about the snow, My Mazda 3 does just fine, and I'm on all-seasons right now. I've lived in snowy places for years, so it's a non-issue for me. Mostly I just want a second car and this is the best excuse I can come up with lol. Maybe I'll just get an old 4x4 truck anyway, I miss being able to haul shit around in a bed.

If you want a ranger, get an extended cab minimum. The standard cab is liveable but there is no storage.

Lul I've owned two Rangers, one was extended and one was standard, pic related. Never really had a problem with the standard, especially after I got my truck box. And I've got my sedan if I need interior room.

Here's an '83 Eagle, but it's a couple hours from the twin cities.
eauclaire.craigslist.org/cto/d/1983-amc-eagle-4x4-wagon/6426485974.html

There are really only three trouble spots with Eagles:
1. Rust. This is obvious, any 30+ year old car is gonna have some rust.
2. Carburetors. The stock one is very inconsistent, some people have no trouble and others have nothing but trouble with it. It appears MN doesn't have emissions testing so you could just rip out the anti-smog carb and replace it with an aftermarket one, or even a fuel injection kit if you're really ambitious.
3. The vacuum lines that switch it between 2 and 4 wheel drive. Thankfully, if those lines break you can manually wrench the transfer case into the proper position. amceaglesden.com/guide/How_To_Manually_Shift_the_Transfer_Case
And on '85 and older models, with their limited-slip differentials, you can leave it in 4WD all the time without harming the tires or drivetrain. Not so on '86, '87, or '88 models though - they have conventional part-time systems that will burn up after extended use in 4WD.

Ha, I looked at that ad a couple days ago. It does look like a pretty good deal. I did some light research and from what I found, everyone says the Eagle is all-around unreliable, though I can't back that up with anything other than a few people's anecdotes on the internet. Good info about the carb and the vacuum lines tho.

I owe my dad a few grand for helping me move right now, so until I get that squared away, I won't be buying anything soon.

fuck i want a second car tho

Wow
Isn't that an XC60 tho

I don't think so, looks like a ~2014 V70 to me, probably the XC70 variant.

If you don't know your heater core from an apple core, then the Eagle is most certainly not for you. Dig around a bit and see what people say is unreliable about them. I'm sure most people cite the carbs, some might cite oil leaks - because AMC had to use plastic valve covers to save money. The one I linked has a replacement valve cover, which will help if not completely cure that issue.

30-year-old cars aren't reliable.

Probably about as useful as tits on a bull, but my grandparents have an AMC Eagle they've been driving for like 30 years and I've never heard any complaints.

I'm pretty okay with a wrench, but I don't wanna deal with something the likes of a project car. Replacing things here and there, maybe a bigger job once a year, but I don't wanna be spending all my doll hairs on new parts and my weekends in my apartment's parking lot fixing some shit.

Shit now I wish I had 2 extra grand to buy that with lol

is this a ruse

Tell them to sell it to me.

Get a Volvo v70 cross country for something Spartan, no frills, comfy, and cheap.

Or you could gamble on trying to find a stock cherokee xj that isn't mostly rust by now but their price is rising.

30-year-old cars are inherently going to be extreme flight risks. That's a lot of oil changes and repairs to account for. The older a car is, the more likely it was abused at some point.

Fair, the original statement sounded really fuckin' baity tho

I am not a Jeep man, though I almost got a V70 a couple years ago. Maybe the time for that is nigh.

I've got a good friend with an old Eagle wagon and it does take more preventative maintenance than your average car, partly because of the age. He probably does one major project on it every year.
The good news is that if you can keep on top of the maintenance they are pretty unstoppable.

Ugh why can't the Outback look as good as the Eagle? Fuck, the styling is night and day, why's the Subaru gotta look like grandma.car?

This is the only Eagle I desire

Too bad they're pretty goddamn rare

The Outback is too logical.
The Eagle was a beautiful piece of desperation engineering. AMC needed to launch a new model but they were going broke, so they slapped a Commodore body on a Jeep drive train and kicked it out the door with absolutely no idea if it would sell or not.

stop I can only etc etc

I would fucking love a 4wd lifted Mustang or something similar, sport cars with beefy offroad tires are my fetish

AMC best automotive company.

I want to take an AMC over to Europe and drive it across the continent

I loved their "fuck it, why not?" approach to car design.
Also one of my favorite jokes:
Why is the Pacer's passenger side door wider than the driver's side door?

Because they knew you'd only pick up fat chicks in a Pacer.

That sounds like absolute death for the car, but also worth it.

Kek. Why actually was the passenger side door wider tho

>Why actually was the passenger side door wider tho
Convenience, mainly. It made it easier to get in and out of the back seat.
I also see it as a safety feature, as it encouraged backseaters to get out curbside instead of streetside.

Orale.

B6 or B7 Audi A4 Quattro depending on what model you get, prices range from 2-8K Dollars

O shit never thought of that. What are the common issues on those years? Anything major?

live in minneapolis 30 years.
god does plow our roads.
buy a shit small car with your 3k
we pay good here. save and go BMW.

yeah but I want an AWD that I can put meaty tires on. also bmw a shit

You could try and find an older Subaru GL, they're fun fuck-around cars and have proper 4wd not just AWD.

>Subaru GL
Down, if a good one shows up.

>featherweight rustbucket japbox with subpar 4-cylinder engine
Don't know about the rest of y'all, but I'd rather have a good ol' hunk of American engineering with a subpar 6-cylinder engine.