Next car company to go out of business?

Next car company to go out of business?
>hard mode: don't make this a "brands I don't like" thread

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/2017/08/22/business/fiat-chrysler-china.amp.html
money.cnn.com/2017/02/22/news/companies/buick-china-history-brand/index.html
autoblog.com/2017/08/01/fca-sergio-marchionne-maserati-all-electric-ev-by-2022/
youtube.com/watch?v=v2xdkbej4b8
finanzareport.it/Detail_News_Display/News-e-Analisi/fca-stacca-la-spina-a-lancia-fine-di-un-agonia
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

i dont agree on what BMW does some of the time, but really think they will go out of business? they sell like crazy

I feel like Tesla might but with all the favors they'll be doing for the Chinese in the future they could just get bought by the Chinese like Saleen did.

They are building huge "giga factories" in the US and Europe but we all know they are just going to build most of the car in CHYnuh to exploit that cheap labor than screw the final bits together in europe and america to dodge import taxes. Cheeky cunt that elon is.

>don't make this a "brands I don't like" thread
You first? Bmw makes plenty enough profit to stay business.

this, what

they even have some EV 3 series coming up which will inevitably sell like pancakes compared to the i3

i say mitsu motors, because i don't even see their shitboxes and crossovers ANYWHERE. i only ocassionally see their weird new tacoma rival trucks.

technically a series of events could easily lead to massive degradation of their company. failure to keep up with the rest of the german brands especially in european markets/emergence of jap automakers in european countries (euros are really dumb shoppers but that can always change) and them failing to keep up on the chinese market would wipe them out in 20 years

but they've been smart and have been offering more and more cheap (but still overpriced) options with their stupid badge on them like the 2 fwd tourer, and the 1series fwd in china which people will gobble up because it's a fookin bmw! quality bro! even though a civic is better build faster and more equipped for less money than their newly found fwd shitboxes

if they tried to keep their driver's car image they'd have been gone by 2030

They still sell in Asia and South America in decent-if-not-great numbers and those are the markets that matter more this century.

Technically a series of events could also lead to your dick falling off. Anyway it’s the same reason why mercedes created the CLA, the market demographic is dominated by people who don’t really know cars but are willing to shell out an irresponsible amount for one simply because of a badge or whatever. They made a good move on the chinese market and still make some great driver’s cars so all in all I think they’re doing well.

95% chance maserati will go or get sold in the next 5 years if they stick to their current nonsense
chrysler apparently has a few models set to come out soon so i wouldn't count on that
lancia and infinity in the next 10 years

Fiat is going to start chopping up and selling the Chrysler badges soon. Great Wall has already said they're interested in Jeep and there are any number buyers that would love to get their hands on Ram's commercial division.
Maybe Chrysler could find a home in China, since it's the hot market for Luxo-barges now.

source?

Maserati needs to be sold off to some venture capitalist and turned back into a racing badge.

nytimes.com/2017/08/22/business/fiat-chrysler-china.amp.html
They've been actively courting China for merger partnerships but nobody is really biting. If they can't build equity in the next few years they'll have to start selling badges. Nobody wants Lancia or Maserati but Jeep and Ram are much more tantalizing.
Marchionne isn't the business genius everybody thought he was.

Mitsubishi

>11 car models available on website
>all created from 4 different platforms
>4 models listed are duplicates from the '17 to '18 model years.

This leaves 7 cars:
>2 models (Lancer and Evo) are discontinued and relatively unchanged for 10+ years

5 left
>2 models are variants of the mirage, the bottom of the barrel entry level new car
>1 New Crossover Suv (Outlander sport)
>1 New Suv (outlander)
>1 New Electric Suv (outlander)

FUTURE MODELS
>Another crossover Suv they are calling the eclipse

I doubt the electric suv will be a volume seller and dealers give away the Mirage so Mitsubishi is basically trying to survive off of the Outlander and Outlander Sport which are pretty meh. How can this be feasible?

Anything British

cars are a tiny part of mitsubishi's business, they're doing alright

Please god.

I live on the outskirts of a pretty affluent neighborhood, and I see the fucking Maserati crossover pretty frequently on the road. Always black.

It just makes me sad. I see Ghiblis constantly too. They have become a shadow of their former selves.

>BMW
>going out of business
nigger are you high

Ghosn runs Mitsu car now, they're fucked.

>still make great driver's cars

oh yeah. quote me the weight for the compact car you posted and the kind of steering assist it uses. go on

Talking specifically about the Mitsubishi Motors portion of the company, not the whole corporation.

South East Asia will keep Mitsu-motors alive. Myanmar alone is one of the fastest growing economies in the world and Mitsubishis sell well there.

aren't they owned by nissan anyway?
also this. they will keep making small shitboxes and sell in asia forever

Came here to say this.

What 2018 models do they even have? I never see em on the road anymore aside from one of their SUVs a couple times a year and a few old Eclipses.

They should’ve kept the Evo to remind people that the brand still builds cars.

Lincoln and Buick would be my next choice, especially since Cadillac started making cars that people want to buy again. I have seen a few more new Buicks on the road in the past year or two tho, people seem to like that tiny CUV.

isn't buick huge on the china market?

>nytimes
so basically nothing you can trust, thanks for playing user. Maybe another time!

money.cnn.com/2017/02/22/news/companies/buick-china-history-brand/index.html

That’s probably why they actually updated the US model line instead of killing it off like Pontiac.

They're still better than most other brands currently out there

One of the best selling brands. The new middle class in China loves comfy sedans with lots of rear leg room. Buick does particularly well there because the last Emperor's official state car was a Buick so the badge is still associated with wealth and prestige.
Jaguar is also selling very well in China and Cadillac sales have been picking up as well.
Anybody who says Buick will go out of business is an idiot.

maybe. doesn't make it a driver's car either way
>Buick does particularly well there because the last Emperor's official state car was a Buick so the badge is still associated with wealth and prestige.
kek I bet this drive's krauts crazy since they sell 90% of their shit on badge and what buick has there is irreplaceable

Prove them wrong. Take your time, I'll wait.

Mitsubishi, 100%. They won't go out of business because like yamaha they make everything under the sun not just cars, but they will be the next automaker to stop production. They aren't even trying anymore and if you don't believe me look at the fucking rearview camera on the mirage.

lucky bastards

BMW sells more than audi and they were the top selling luxury brand for 10 years in a row they wont go out of business any time soon lol

>m2 is not a drivers car
Muh contrarian opinions

Any car company that isn't seriously looking at South America will regret it in the next 50 years. China has already moved from exporting to domestic production in SA. It's a huge continent with growing economies and an established car culture.

Again, SEA will keep Mitsubishi alive.
America is not the most important car market anymore.

oh okay. perhaps you are willing to quote me on the weight of said compact car and the type of power steering it uses. go on.

Porsche 911 uses electronic steering too and M2 weighs as much as an E36 M3
Just because it's not a 900kg miata doesnt make it a "non drivers car" retard

>Porsche 911 uses electronic steering too
so?
>M2 weighs as much as an E36 M3
false.

>this somehow makes it not a drivers car

go away faggot

oh I'm sorry for your non argument mr. fanboy. and no, your fat 1600kg ''compact'' isn't a driver's car

M2 uses electronic power steering just like the 911 how does it make the car a non drivers car?
M2 weighs 3450lbs its roughly the same as an M3 from 1996.

M3 was 3200lbs

>140 kgs more while being a supposedly ''smaller'' class
>roughly the same
lol
>electric steering
>driver's car
LOL
>plasticy engine bay no mechanic could be able to properly fix yet alone yourself
>driver's car
LOLOLOLO

then again, I'm talking to a fanboy who calls electric steering electronic steering, shoo shoo fanboy

Porsche 911 weighs 3505 lbs, has EPS and has a plastic engine cover as well holy shit go away shitbox driver you have never driven a real drivers car.

and that isn't a driver's car either mad fangirl

Sure porsche 911 isnt a drivers car but your 50hp civic on coilovers is.
End yourself poorfag troll

Threads like this make me glad that car enthusiasts don't actually run the automotive industry.

>electric steering
>driver's car

it's a quick sporty car but it's not a driver's car. older ones sure. new one has electric steering though

Your opinion is irrelevant because you've never driven a modern sports car with EPS

neither and you actually called it electronic steering. lol'd kiddo are you actually allowed to drive yet?

with the terrible logic ITT there isn't a single car on the market right now with doors that is a drivers car
it's not like definitions for things like this change over time or anything

there isn't a single mainstream car on the market right now that is a driver's car

oh wait the miats sells a lot so I guess that counts

Now bought by Nissan. Technically gone out of business but Nissan will cover the business of Mitsubishi right now.

>oh no daddy trump doesn't like the nytimes they're all fake news!
>I just trust breitbart and infowars, the realest truest news

It’s not logic it’s a retarded teenage baiter

I bet Buick was real close to being chopped in the early-mid 2000s tho.

It could be Lancia... They only have one model now, not sure about how it sells, but its very women oriented as you can see on their website

Eh Apparently they do pretty well in the Kei car market in japan, but not well enough to try fix their floundering market share over here.

The only company I'm really worried about going out of business is Mazda given their market share is so small to begin with and often having good ideas isn't enough to say in business.

Wth are you talking about bmw muslims are crazy about bmw with the influx of immigrants sales will go up trust me

they'd have to afford one first. No, 20 year old 3 series don't count.

Lancia is indeed the automotive equivalent of woman brand clothing, for such reason they killed the Delta and that abomination of the look-alike-300C.
They are incredibly popular with girls after the Fiat 500 because it look cool and chic. I don't think also they will ever go out-of-business, Lancia is 100% under Fiat, is like it isn't even a separate brand anymore.

GM is trimmed up for now. Caddy is making good stuff and keeping prices in check without too much discounting. Chevy has upped the quality across the board. Buick is huge in China.

Lincoln does not sell a lot of cars and if it was a stand alone company, it would be dead man walking. However, since all the cars are up-market Fords, Lincoln is nothing more than a marketing exercise. Ford needs a high-end brand. Lincoln will be around.

If I were laying bets:
- Mitsubishi to exit the car business
- Mazda, one of the smallest Jap car makers, could run into financial issues despite having fantastic products
- Tesla: cash flow issues. Zerohedge hates them.

Buick *is* GM. It was the original division. For that reason, it will never be cut.

>With Buick as a base, Durant envisioned creating a large automobile company that would manufacture several makes and control subsidiary component-making companies, much as Durant-Dort had done in the carriage-making world.[6] Durant founded General Motors Holding Company on September 16, 1908 and exchanged a large parcel of Buick stock for a matching parcel of McLaughlin stock making McLaughlin one of General Motors' biggest shareholders.[6] In 1909 Durant's GM bought Cadillac and Oldsmobile and Oakland Motor Car, later called Pontiac, and many parts-manufacturing companies, paint and varnish companies, axle and wheel companies, etc., and merged them with GM.

>I'll give you a couple of broad sort of indications of where we are today in terms of the delineation of the post 2018 FCA. The first one and I've mentioned this in passing and other occasions about the fact that there's nothing that will prevent an OEM from engaging in the type of development work that Tesla has done so far. We have been – as you well know, we have been reluctant to embrace that avenue until we saw a clear – a path forward. I think we're now in a position to acknowledge at least one of our brands and in particular Maserati will, when it completes the development of its next two models effectively switch all of its portfolio to electrification.

autoblog.com/2017/08/01/fca-sergio-marchionne-maserati-all-electric-ev-by-2022/

How can you go out of business when you've already gone out of business?

Lancia only sells in Italy nowadays. Only one model: the one you posted.

I think they also sell the Ypsilon also in UK, however for some reason they change the badge from Lancia to Chrysler.
>mfw fiat is raping mercilessly lacia and chrysler dead body for breakfast

ehh sure why not, a lot better than being chrysler parts-bin "luxury" cars. I hope they can do something cool with Lancia too.

Is there actually any brand left thats owned by the British? I thought all of their car brands are now owned by Poos or Germans.

Lancia is basically a walking corpse, i hope they can revive it like Alfa.

mclaren till a qatari/bahraini group took over

Shitsubishi
..Or the reborn TVR

Mazda is plummeting in Europe because they made their cars more expensive than everybody, except for the luxury bunch such as Audi, BMW or Mercedes.
The Mazda 3, albeit looking better than the VW Golf, is less equipped, less known and more expensive. In fact, the Mazda 3 looks better than anything and is more expensive than anything. The Mazda 2 doesn't even sell in Eastern Europe.
The Miata is nice and all, but at 40k euros it is simply far too expensive, it's by no means an affordable sports car. 40k euros is Audi A5 territory. Even if the A5 is technically an GT, people will still pick the 2.0 TDI A5 instead of the sporty Miata.

The only Mazda products that are holding their own are the Mazda CX-3 (which is currently being slaughtered by the Dacia Sandero Stepway and the Renault Captur) and the Mazda CX-5 (which is also priced to compete with the Skoda Kodiaq and the Ford party - the Kuga, the Edge and the whatevers).

Mazda will be soon out of Europe, if they won't fix their pricing issues.

You just don't make a car that is a rival to the VW Golf, only more expensive. You already need a lot of reasons to persuade the average buyer not to buy a VW Golf and buy whatever you sell, and making it more expensive is one huge mistake.
Even the Mazda 2 is similarly priced to the VW Polo, which is one of the heavy hitters of the 2017 and 2018 car scene full stop.

Where do you pay 40 grand for a Miata? The main problem is that Europeans are massive badgewhores and the Japanese brands never really caught on. Not to mention that Mazda has a terrible reputation in countries with harsh winters because of the awful rust problems that they used to have.

My bad, a decked out Miata costs 27.000 euros ( VAT included). Wanna know what else costs 27.000 euros? The Golf GTI.
I confused it with the Subaru BRZ, which costs 36.400 euros (VAT included). The A5 Coupe starts at 37.500 euros (VAT included). Needless to say, the BRZ doesn't sell terribly well. Neither does the Miata.
In fact, Subaru and Mazda barely sell anything.

I'm not a VAGfag, actually the french started to get really good lately, it's just that most people will just buy a VW. If you can't convince them to buy what you're selling, they will buy a VW.

>VW Golf. The Honda Civic of Europe.
The Golf is to Europe what the Civic is to USA. You may not agree with it, but the average buyer will take it because it's all the car he ever needs. Might aswell give him a wheeled toaster.

I agree on the Golf being the Civic part. I dont think i have ever seen a BRZ on the road. I think i saw one GT-86 but it had a Swiss plate. Owning a car is pretty expensive and being a car-guy carries a strong stigma in Europe, which is bad for sports-cars in general. I guess its always hard to outsell domestics because they can get away with more aggressive pricing.

VW let Brazil has it's own division here and some the of the models rolling in Europe are made there.

TVR is reborn already m8.

Hyundai's got a big presence down there as well.
It's crazy how fast the Chinese moved in, though. I was in Ecuador this spring and there are Great Walls and Lifan 320s everywhere.

Chinese cars had a little boom here and then they pretty much stagnated, specially after the several 0 stars on Latin NCAP.

youtube.com/watch?v=v2xdkbej4b8

People just don't trust chinese brands here much, except for rental and transport companies since they're cheap af.

Mazda makes a killing in Canada. Where I live, half the vehicles on the road are pickemup trucks, and about half of everything else is Mazda.
I do think the key difference is price though. Mazdas are much cheaper here than comparable Volkswagens, and while a fully loaded Mazda3 Sport is about 24,000 leaves, it's comfier and looks nicer than any of the cheaper options from Honda or Das Burgerreich.
Miatas are bullshit expensive here though. A softtop with leather seats is $40k before dealer bullshit, and the RF is ten grand more. You can literally buy two BRZ for the price of one new top-shelf Miata.

Mazda is fine. They're expanding market share steadily, and have some very impressive new hardware coming in the next two years, as well as new plants going up to reduce the per-unit cost on the vehicles.

>being a car-guy carries a strong stigma in Europe
Really? That's sad. Seems like being a bloke in Europe is a raw deal.
Mazda's in a bad spot due to economies of scale. Toyota, VW, Honda, GM, and Ford can all do the decent econobox thing for cheaper than Mazda can, simply because they're much larger. So, Mazda has decided that they should start pushing upmarket, into a sort of premium economy near-luxury enthusiast-oriented niche that doesn't really exist. It's the same thing that Acura has been trying and failing at for a long time now, to the point where Acura may as well be dead. The problem is that there are few people out there who say, "I would like a Civic, but slightly nicer inside and slightly more interesting to drive and I'd like to also pay more for it." But if Mazda moves further upmarket they're going to be competing with much more established and credible brands.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Toyota take Mazda entirely under its wing and make it their enthusiast marque, while making Subaru their active lifestyle marque as they already seem to be doing.

BMW is making insane profit. They're already talking about doubling the capacity f their new factory in Mexico and it's not even on line yet. No idea what you're going on about.

Lincoln is doing very well in China and Buick is too. Lincoln is also doing very well in Mexico for some reason. Saw a fuck load of Navigators and MKZs last time I was there.

Is SAAB already dead?

not yet
they still sell cars in zveden
they're all electric i believe

If lancia is a rotting corpse alfa is a enraged lich
Working on the new models like no tomorrow but can't manage to score any significant increase in selling volume and questioning the usefulness of new investments

Car guys nowadays are usually immigrants in stanced BMWs or retarded teenagers in fartcan GTIs. Not really the best to associate with that crowd.

Thats different comppany NEVS, they only use old 9-3 bodys

>BMW
Never happen

-Chrysler - More likely
-Lancia
-Mitsubishi
-Tesla
-FCA
-Lincoln - If it doesn;t do well in China after 5 years, it would be scrapped right away.
-Mazda - 50% chance

>he thinks Lancia is still alive
Lancia is already dead in the coffin
finanzareport.it/Detail_News_Display/News-e-Analisi/fca-stacca-la-spina-a-lancia-fine-di-un-agonia
>fca pulls the plug, end of an agony

RIP Lancia

I see Ghiblis quite frequently as well, they're fucking trash.

What else are they producing?

Everything in literal sense of word.

you can still buy a new lancer evo?

Everything from microchips to planes to industrial machinery to appliances. Mitsubishi is a massive conglomerate.

Mexico is the only country that saw two model years of the Lincoln Fleetwood.