86/BRZ

How does Veeky Forums feel about the 86 / BRZ / FRS?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xwpka_DDJis
gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables
youtube.com/watch?v=h63qv9ScdXI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

They should address some of the common complaints already. But it's a pretty neat try at reviving a car segment that's been getting the shaft in recent history.

Hopefully they'll help restock the used market so people for whom it's a bit of a stretch to pay for one new can have modern lower-mileage options for fun little hoonboxes.

OH BOY ANOTHER QUALITY 86 THREAD
THIS CAR IS 6 FUCKING YEARS OLD
IT'S A FUCKING 2+2 FOR THOSE LOOKING FOR SOMETHING CLOSE TO THE MIATA
END OF FUCKING DISCUSSION WE'VE HAD ENOUGH 400 REPLY SHITFESTS FULL OF RETARDS IN BOTH SIDES.

What are the common complaints?

Surely you're not serious. The whole internet has chewed them over to death already.

You already know, OK. Nice IP cycle.

slow

It gets too much unnecessary hate. If you ever bring it up in a conversation you're almost always going to get a response something along the lines of
>get a MUHSTANG GEETEE instead, more power for the price

Since nobody wants to reply with an actual answer: torque dip & low power (they're going to complain about this no matter what, also it loses to the miata which makes like 50 less hp, but the car is still fun to drive regardless)

jesus fuck it's already been 6 years

Toyota should use the 260HP turbo 4 from these new Lexus and sell it as the GT86 Turbo.

WRX engine and it's perfect.

>slow
No shit faggot this car is for canyon touge driving not drag races and strightaways. Just like the AE86.

Maybe it has the appropriate speed for its 200hp NA engine.
But since it is qualified as sports car the insurance is stupidly high.

Best car in the class by a long way.

Mainly that it pisses on the Miata.

It's the best car made in the last 10 years that isn't the ND miata.

>Cheap enough that you aren't scared to drive it hard. (inflation-adjusted it's the exact same price as the 240sx was when new, btw)
>Easily driftable, Torsen LSD standard, just pull the ABS fuse and stability control is gone.
>Plenty of power; gearing could be better matched to the engine tho. 0-60 in 6 sec.
>Boxer rumble
>Light enough that you don't have to fight weight transfer every time you enter a corner.
>Looks fucking amazing in person.
>Actually reasonably-sized compared to all the giant tankers on the road nowadays.

Random street races are waaay rare these days compared to 15 years ago, why is everyone obsessed w/ power when they're too pussy to use it anyway? Even then, when the tuner scene was big in the early-'00s, ppl could only dream of this performance-to-price ratio.

I've been on Veeky Forums since before the new 86 was even announced in Nihon. I post in one of these shitty threads about once a year to remind you fuckers that you're either:
-Too poor
-Too young
-Too scared to drive hard
-Too nervous to stand out in traffic because you think you are uggo/fat/not worthy
Or some combination of the above.

Fucking live your life, take control. Drive a car that you actually would enjoy and get the skills to get a job to pay for it. Stop sitting in your house all day crying because you don't get any pussy.

>Random street races
That might be the craziest thing. Maybe it's just that I've only ever driven things that look like boringmobiles before, but it still weirds me out when out of nowhere somebody wants to race.

Most recent was a frickin RAV4 of all things. I was just trying to get home without wasting time and all of a sudden he's blowing a huge condensation trail out the rear and I'm knocking the rev limiter thinking I was just keeping up with traffic.

>Too scared to drive hard
Hardly.
Its not possible to drive at the limit on the public highway without losing your licence or being involved in an accident. Being 'scared' is not the same as driving within sensible limits.
And thats the rub. The ONLY way to go fast in this car is to push it to the limit, but you can't unless you're on a track which you won't be 99.9% of the time.
Fact is any euro/jap hot hatch, high spec mini van, pony car or diesel luxo barge will be faster than this car on the public highway.
If I'm buying a sports car, I want it to be fast on the road where I drive 99.9% of the time, not just at the track.

I really like this car and I might get one.

M8 you know OP is baiting. Why bump a 6 hour old thread?

My advice: shop around first. The shortcomings are enough to leave you with a big helping of buyers remorse even if you're still happy with it anyway.

I'm glad this thread came up, I had a question about the Toyobaru.

Why would anyone buy the facelifted 86 instead of the BRZ? It just looks worse in every conceivable way. And if the BRZ outsells the 86 by a significant margin, would Toyota get pissy about it and walk away from the contract?

So speaks someone with zero experience of the 86 twins.

>300+ posts omitted

I'm also looking at the ND and Civic Si. I haven't test-driven any of them yet.

>Its not possible to drive at the limit on the public highway without losing your licence or being involved in an accident.

Try living outside of populated areas. I've been going at or past the limit for over a decade, I powerslide through public intersections, I've been over 170mph on public roads quite a few times. Never been in an accident.

And don't get me wrong, tracks are fun, but you can't really learn unless you're pushing the limit near-daily on the street.

Man, in the '00s people would start up races all the time and no one would puss out. There were a lot more cars modded for power then though. I live in the south, so it was mostly Mustang guys who would play back then.

I've had mine for a bit over a year. It actually is really good at what they seemed to have been aiming for. But honestly I wish I had made the time to test drive the competition just to settle my mind about what I might or might not be missing, if I should move up market next time around or just be happy with close enough etc.

Alright boyos I'm looking at some 2014ish FR-S with the other option being 135i

which should I pick

Yeah 90s and 00s were fun that way. I'm up in the north where there was a mix of murican cars and a strong rice scene. But too much of a poorbox driver to get much more out of it than learning how to keep momentum up without losing traction and being glad other people were driving like bigger jackasses than I was.

the 135i will be way better

Actually just last week I was trying to nip through a light before it turned yellow and then the T/C kicked it and made it look like I screwed up and fishtailed.

And then I was like
>oh right I forgot
>regular people don't intentionally go slightly sideways through intersections in every day traffic

I should mention that the 135i would be DCT

still better, right?

The 135i has an open differential.
The FR-S has LSD.

The 135i would be faster, more comfortable, and passenger-friendly though.

Do you value sliding like a mad cunt or impressing ppl with how reasonable you are?

I often hear that BMW is pretty good at flappy paddles, but I've never driven a 135i myself so I couldn't say. But that would be something I'd want to try out when cross-shopping, and therefore something I'd have to try while driving like a bit of a cunt to find out what it does where and when it matters.

I would get a ND Miata instead.

>Try living outside of populated areas
doesn't matter, if you're clipping the apex on a blind corner and theres a car coming the other way you're fucked.

I don't know, all I know is that I want to leave the life of boring economy sedans behind, I also don't ever want a passenger in my car ever

I had a 2014 FRS for about 2 years before I finally got rid of it. The car really only excels at one thing which is its agility and its not that great compared to other cars of similar price point.

At the time I had it, it was really fun to drive, like I said before the agility was the main thing and much of my neighborhood had some long twisting roads in the back country that I could exploit. The car is by no means fast and it lacks actual power to accelerate and make you feel like you're actually going somewhere.

I really started to dislike it when I started noticing the awful road noise and shitty interior that would rattle and creak. For a car that starts at 27k today I would have expected an interior that was on par with a civic EX of all things but the interior really looks like its out of the late 90's/early 00's with how much cheap plastic is all around. The sound system sucks, especially when the road noise just over powers it. Don't play anything with any sort of bass or anything you want to play loud because the speaker is just gonna resonate and its going to sound like shit.

I sold it for a WRX and was way happier purely because the car was so much faster and had a way better interior

Since one of the complaints people have about the GT86 is a lack of power, i'm curious about how much horsepower Veeky Forums thinks it needs

Like 250 and without the torque dip would be great.

250+ at least, preferably 300+

I'd say you never know where your middle ground is until you push beyond it. So maybe you should consider something that's delivers even more than a toyobaru or a 135i. Although I can tell you the only passengers who want to ride in mine are other car-oriented people so I guess it passes that test a bit.

Maybe 230-240 or so. For what the car is stock it just needs a bit more on tap that you don't need to use but can at a whim. If you want more you can buy something faster or add boost yourself.

They went with a 2.0L for a number of reasons most of which has to do with the displacement tax in europe and emissions standards in america.

There are a number of simple things that people have done to get rid of the torque dip which kills its ability to accelerate dramatically. The car has very very lower torque overall not even thinking about the torque dip in question. By comparison a Civic Si makes more torque.

Subaru and Toyota could have easily gotten away with multiple trim levels for this car that revolved around two different engines one being a weaker 2L and another being a higher performance option.

They could have easily used a better header, better intakes and maybe a turbo and this thing could have easily made 250 HP just like the WRX does.

The car is definitely not worth 27k new, the car is worth more like 23k and if this car was 23k I wouldn't complain about the shit power

>guaranteed replies

>I sold it for a WRX and was way happier purely because the car was so much faster and had a way better interior

I'm not even kidding, a lot of the plastics and mouldings in the new WRX are much more modern looking and don't have that cheap plasticy feel of the FRS. Theres also much less road noise which allows you to have a conversation at 30mph without yelling

Also the ricaro seats are MUCH more comfy like holy fuck why werent these standard in the FRS

i was being sincere. the wrx makes much more sense as a fun fast road car.

It really does. It has way more power, true AWD, and doesn't have that ugly ass wing of the STI makes it a real car worth driving. I don't really think the FRS is good at anything in its class other than being an RWD light coupe which is a big woopty do factor nowadays. The FRS has huge issues climbing even the slightest inclines because it has such poor torque

>inclines
Too true. 30 seconds in to the test drive and I didn't know about the torque dip there was a mild incline and I was like
>wtf is going on
>why isn't it time to upshift yet

Never try to accelerate up a hill when you're in the torque dip. Especially never try it when you're below the torque dip and about face plant into the no fun allowed zone.

youtube.com/watch?v=xwpka_DDJis

look at 4:58, this isn't that steep of a hill by any standard and the car STRUGGLES to accelerate at all

If they don't do a genuine refresh of this car, its going to get less and less popular and they'll either discontinue it out of ignorance.

Yeah those guys are pretty accurate imo. Sure it's a car where you expect to wind it all the way out when you want to scoot, but geez they don't need to make it a buzzkill when you don't.

The Toyota is not for sale in Eastern Europe so I don't care. Neither is the FRS.
The Subaru BRZ is on sale for 36.400 euros (VAT included) which is far too much for an obscure Subaru sports car.
The BRZ is up against the Audi A5, the VW Arteon, the Golf R, the Honda Civic Type R (which is 39.500 euros), the Megane RS, the 125i (35.000 euros), the Skoda Superb (just for the lulz, the 2.0 TSI 280 bhp 4x4 DSG monster costs 36.400 euros) and the list goes on...

The BRZ is not exactly up with none of the cars listed here, whilst being just as expensive (or more expensive). The Renault Megane GT, which comes with a 2.0 litre 205 bhp engine and a 6 speed manual, that one costs 22.000 euros. Slightly less fun, abit more power, and a wopping 14.000 euros cheaper.

Maybe the BRZ sells in the US, but in Europe it costs far too much.

what about the other variants like the FRS and GT86

Scion is an american meme toyota, and GT86 aren't for sale in EE

frs dont exist here

This, the gt86 should be on par with hot hatches power-wise

>GT86 aren't for sale in EE
wrong

The FRS doesn't exist here in Europe.
The GT86 was also an epic fail, the manual box one had a launch price of 35.700 euros in 2012, and it got discontinued in 2015.
Everybody criticized the BRZ/GT86 for being far too expensive for what it offered. The 310 bhp 2.0 TSI Golf R costs 37.200 euros, just 600 euros more than the BRZ. And the Golf R is a completely different animal.

The GT86 was sold initially in EE, but the 2015 facelifted version was retired due to poor sales.

>Why would anyone buy the facelifted 86 instead of the BRZ?
Initial D

FOR THE LAST FUCKING TIME YOU MOUTH BREATHING MONGOLOID THERE IS NO DISPLACEMENT TAX IN THE EU.

In Britland there is

the new civic type r has 315 hp

They should have just taken the engine set up from the WRX

270hp FA20 w/ turbo

There's also a VAT on having fun, as well as an annual fee to renew the license for having a caps lock key.

God damn I wish we had the fucking Jimny in the US. Got to drive one for a couple weeks in Barbados and those things are fucking awesome little 4x4s.

10/10 would only buy one new. I test drove 4 of them and even though their carfax's were clear they ALL had some minor damage and were overpriced...

Nope.

gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables

There was in the 90's but America had a white president then and those days are long gone

whelp, then thats one less justification toyota/subaru chose that particular engine

I've been toying with the idea of selling my mini and getting a jimny or pajero desu

There used to be one in most countries. Nowadays its usually a straight up hp tax, which is way worse. Japan still has a displacement tax if im not mistaken.

>tfw found a used one that wasn't molested
>wonder whether to keep it and add more power or leave it alone and shop for an eventual replacement
>put a dent in it
fug

Does this mean now I have to buy a supercharger kit? And then sell it to some happy kid on the cheap down the road?

No it's almost always an emissions tax.

The Jimny is like the coolest car Suzuki sells. And at 14.400 euros base price, it really isn't an overpriced piece of junk like the BRZ or the Defender. It's only pseudo-competitor would be the Dacia Duster, but the Jimny is truly in a class of it's own.

Yes there is. And it explodes after 2000 cc.

The BRZ has less power than most warm hatches, not hot hatches.

Stay retarded shit brain.

Don't fucking do it, its a huge waste of time, pain in the ass and you're likely to just blow your entire VVT system

>mfw someone runs out of arguments and starts randomly insulting.

There is no point arguing with someone like who doesn't have the IQ of a doorstop.

What goes wrong with the VVT? I haven't really looked in to the options and why exactly a slightly high compression engine that already requires premium fuel shouldn't blow up under much of any boost without jumping through hoops.

>What goes wrong with the VVT?

Not a lot, it's just standard Veeky Forums jealousy

Aww didums was your stupidity being highlighted on an anonymous board too much for you, go back to mommy and cry me a river.

Too much pressure basically ruins the valves and fucks up the cams.

Its what happens when you have extremely aggressive tunes

youtube.com/watch?v=h63qv9ScdXI

Basically Savage Geese took a 2014 FRS and super charged it but ran into tons of problems with installing it, getting tunes to work and low oil pressure despite having a pretty high end oil pump. It was a huge waste of money and time and it was more work than it was worth.

Sure tons of people have successful builds and tunes and shit. You'll constantly have an infinitely long list of shit to do and things to fix because its a pointless endeavor of struggle just to have a functioning high power car when you could have just bought a better car to begin with that was engineered not to potentially fail

i wish people would stop using this reaction image, there are a million better ones you could use that arent cringe as fuck

They’re not bad cars.
Just don’t be a stancefag and camber the wheels out 20 degrees

So one person fucked up his tune out of literally thousands? Hahahahahaha is that the best you have.

Torque dip
Meh interior
Backseat is only usable if the people on the back and front are small
Early models had vibration and slight engine problems
All models still have rattling
0-60 is a bit worse than v6 family sedans

But it's one of the few lightweight driver's cars still being made, and one of the few 3 door cars that isn't old as hell or really expensive. It's like a modern day 280z.

No he talks about what a huge pain in the ass it was to do, maintain and it isn't worth it in the end.

You're going to buy either a used or new FRS, attempt to mod it, void any warranty you might have on it and suddenly depend on that car not to fuck up because of the limitations of your hardware and software being exceeded.

All the while blowing TONS of money on your car when you could have taken your money and bought a superior car.

But really, you can make it a bit better by using an ecu tune and 93 octane.

it already calls for 93 octane, your tune isn't going to do shit. The main issue was the headers. Sure you can just buy some 1k headers and tune that issue away but you're still going to be blowing money on a shitty platform that wasn't meant to be tampered with

It already takes 93. Hence why getting halfway decent MPGs is part of the attraction of using it for DD.

its a good car
fuck what the rest of these hypocrites say

>handles good
>the gt86 / frs looks really good in my opinion
>infinite aftermarket and it hasnt even existed that long

ok about the power, yes its under powered but they knew their market for this car and its dumb kids that wanna drift and do initial D shit so its the right amount of power for dummies to learn on, low power and being modern means cheap insurance, the engine isnt pushing itself so its reliable, its a well known engine that subaru guys have been messing with forever.

finally its modern and safe compared to a 90s equivalent like a 200sx or an mr2 so the mums of the kids who wanna buy these things and drift them wont panic they are gonna spin out and tree themselves.

i do think they should have made an sti and trd version with turbos for people who want the fast but you can easily buy and install turbokits on these things anyway so meh.

i will defend this car till i die lol

all this shilling

It is kind of neat they managed to stuff about 300 airbags in it without turning it into a 3 ton bar of soap. There might yet be hope for the future of cars meant for driving.

airbag modules aren't heavy dude

cant belive its been 6 years already
i still think they are new and cool when i see them
fuck i still feel that way about the focus RS mk3.5

They take up space though. Like the A pillar for instance is actually really bulbous, but they kept it out of the way so you wouldn't notice unless you stopped to look at it.

>they take up space
yea in the a/b pillars, steering wheel, and above the glove compartment woopty fucking do. These bags are puny and compact, they're easy to compress