Ford ST Series

I've been looking to purchase a used Fiesta ST recently as my sole car but the price point of a used Focus ST is so close it makes it a tough decision. My matrix also has a huge as fuck turn radius that sucks and I was hoping to get more MPG but an independent rear suspension and 60 more hp is tempting. I've driven the FiST but need to get in a FoST.

Personal opinions on the two? My friends heavily favor the Focus but they literally drive American pony cars.

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.caranddriver.com/ford-performance-upgrade-for-focus-st-brings-output-to-275-horsepower/
sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/d/2014-ford-focus-st-st3-package/6435304130.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

FiST

I love my FiST but I've never driven a FoST

My vote is for the FiST, I DD a Focus and one of my only complaints is that its quite big, but if you need to put friends in the back of a FiST i can imagine its not going to happen.

I'd say go with the FiST unless you plan on road tripping or carrying tall friends around frequently.

i love the fist but i went with the foST cause just as you a preowned one is very cheap i got mines for 14 cash with 15k miles
the focus is way more of a fun brute and honestly if u need rear space the focus has it for u.
i can barely fit inside the rear of a fiST but plenty of space in the back of the focus for all your nice car knicknacks or odd homedepot shit you need to buy
focus st is better for the cash if you have other shit to do daily other then hoon around
also more space for your weeb stickers if your crazy like me user

I DD a FoST and it's tons of fun. Has a bit more interior comfort to it as well.
That said...
Are there a lot of twisties where you live?
If so, FiST.
If not, FoST. And even then it will do surprisingly well.
You can't really go wrong with either one.

also about to say this where you live depends a lot on your choice while both cars hit twisties like nuts if you live in florida like me for example you love that extra power for straights the foST offers
>tfw in florida no1 except a miata or fiST keeps with me in a corner
>tfw most people drive land barges

>black FoST
>horrible anime stickers showing the drivers power level

What is this strange phenomenon?

a horrible phenomenon that affects all black FoST/FiST
>tfw tuxedo black is the best FoST paintjob
>tfw the flakes in the paint match flakes in your anime stickers

actually scratch what i said tuxedo black is awful for this hatch with the amount of dust that gets on the fucking hatc
>hatch gets caked in dust less then 10 minutes after being washed

Holy shit you are not kidding.
I wash it, wax it and take it out and it's noticeably dirty again.

And now with all the salt they're throwing down its just an endless nightmare.

this issue has made me almost quit washing my car as often
ive heard that mudflaps and wing risers especially help with the vacuum effect the back gets
which is weird that wing risers actually work cause the cut outs in our spoiler were made specifically to stop all that dust getting suck by getting airflow back there

I’ll throw my opinion into the ring,

I just picked up my 17’ FoST and so far I love it. I’ve never owned a FiST but I did drive my bosses from time to time and felt very cramped inside. I’m about 6’2” and 140 Lbs, so the FoST gives me lots of room to be comfy and spread out. The power feels great and it’s an absolute blast to drive around town.

I guess to me it came down to physical size. The FiST was just too small for me. I can see having the extra room in the FoST to help out down the road.

I guess get inside a FoST and see what you think. They’re both blasts to drive and my boss loved his while he had it. No matter what you get I’m sure you’ll be happy.

I can tell that's not a FiST from the front bumper. That's a Zetec S, or an "ST Line"

FiST is awesome btw. Love mine very much.

Never really considered a wing riser...

Flaps help a bit, not a lot though. The do look nice, however.

Drive both, choose which you prefer. Most of the extra room in the focus is in the back seats and the hatch, the front seat area is about the same.

That being said, get the Fiesta.

>6'2"
>140lbs
Are you a literal stick?

i was considering buying some mountune flaps but am going to buy these rokblokz mud flaps
they are way lower then most flaps which i love for that rally look
desu i hate how wing risers work so i figured id bypass the dust issue with a focus rs style wing mixed together with the rally innovations wing

I’ve been called that on some occasions

anemic as fuck

I mainly got them because i liked the yellow on black look.
Thats not a terrible idea. Might do that after i get the mp275 kit.
Or i might just go for a cobb tune. Keeping the warranty is very appealing though.....

if your still on warranty am pretty sure their was some offer going around ford dealers where u got something along the lines of the mp275.
actually just found the link ford dealers basically give you the mp275 kit from mountune

blog.caranddriver.com/ford-performance-upgrade-for-focus-st-brings-output-to-275-horsepower/

Eh, i'll just wait until it goes on sale again and then snatch it up and see if i cant throw some of the shit on myself.

Or i could just be a maniac, throw all reason away and get my hands on a 410 kit.

FiST gang

The FiST is very nice, but keep in mind that it has less breadth than an '08 Mazda3. Very very teeny tiny. If you expect to carry more than some groceries and one passenger on a daily basis, then choose FoST.
FiST:
- jelly bean
- COOL VIBRATIONS
- lenient parking power
- turnsies
- angery
FoST:
- comfortably seats your lanky associates
- daytime running lights look like eyebrows
- pretty good vibrations

I have a 8-5 job so highways are what I see mostly. That's where 5+mpg, and a subcompact would be nice. However 3 - 4 times a month I get to hit the twisties going up and down SoCal.

I fear not having enough room to move people or items around at some point but my current car is almost always empty and at most I carry 1 other person. But I will get inside a FoST at some point. The fiesta was light and I loved it but I hear the FoST is just as capable.

Exactly what I'm mulling over, why not spend a couple thousand extra and buy a bigger, more luxurious and higher performance vehicle?

Probably should contact this guy:
sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/d/2014-ford-focus-st-st3-package/6435304130.html

FoST is faster and handles better (independent rear suspension) but it isn't as "fun". Also the turn radius on all Focus' is awful, from the base SE to the RS.

Don't worry desu, 5'11 120 here

>410 kit
>410hp? or tq
>410 tq sounds like spinning in every gear
desu i already burn out in 2nd and sometimes 3rd i wanna tune but am scared of these tunes
>275 kit barely gets u 25 more hp but gives you the option to basically have over 300tq
id fear for life at any chance i step on the gas

>5'11
>120 lbs
Are you literally me?

Are we manlets or do we get a pass?

410 hp.
Dunno the tq numbers on it. but it's probably ridiculous.

>id fear for life at any chance i step on the gas
I mean. yeah, but that's part of the fun.

>5'11"
>120
Are you guys just skin and bones? I was expecting to look skinny when I reach my target weight of 140, and then put on 10 pounds of muscle

My taller friends keep telling me they're just abnormally tall, i think we're fine

P much, im super comfortable in skinny jeans

it is part of the fun but how much tq is to much for this little car
ive seen videos with people having 300hp and over 400tq and its already retarded they can barely keep the car straight let alone i assume it ruins the fun in the twisties which is the main fun on this car
>how much power till will get to speed3 levels of torque steer and get turned towards a cliff

>300hp
>400ftlb torque
thats only 4k RPM, surely it makes MORE power at higher RPM or you're just bullshitting me

>how much tq is to much for this little car
I dunno, but it will be fun to find out.

Thoughts from an old Focus ST owner, who has also autocross his cousin's Fiesta ST a few times:

I liked the interior room and dash of the Focus more. I also liked the additional power it had over the Fiesta. The Fiesta did feel like a go kart and there are a few photos of me three-wheeling it during a few autocross laps. It's definitely a fun car in a different way.

The Focus does have a huge fuck-off turn radius though. They are also getting cheap enough to be bought by the standard "ruins a car" crowd and are starting to get a terrible reputation. I swear to god whenever I hear a shitty straight piped 4cyl bombing around the city these days it's always a Focus ST.

The Fiesta's haven't met that fate around here at least, their owner segment seems to be the young IT/engineer crowd.

I would still take the Focus again, but I definitely get why people would take the Fiesta.

>keep in mind that it has less breadth than an '08 Mazda3
'08 mazdaspeed3 reporting in, it really is a great size. More interior space than the FoST and still smaller (other than being a longboi).
>tfw weight is like right in between the two ST's and it's still way too heavy for me

desu user idk if am bullshitting you
most of these tunes make this car a fucking torque monster since ford themselves portrayed this car as a torquey hatch
if i recall it depends how you do it, you make a shit ton of torque and not crazy hp sticking to the same turbo and doing tunes and e30 and all that jazz
the bigger turbo swaps are what i have seen net the big hp less torque tunes

My ST had 330-380 hp depending on the tune settings I had. 380 hp was absolutely useless almost everywhere but the highway and high speed tracks.

The low hp (330) setting was a bit more manageable but I was still contemplating a LSD before I ended up selling it off.

oh hai
is this a "fun foci" thread?

exactly my main concern past 300 is just danger zone for anything but highway
and doesnt help that even your lower 330 was making you want a LSD
>your a brave soul for driving that thing user

Please ignore these faggots. Get a 2010 Camaro or 135i for $10k. Both are 9/10 300 hp rwd cars.

NO REASON EXISTS TO GET A FiST

The car dealership near me let me take both out for a few hours. The impression they left on me was that the FiST was the better second car. I'd love to be able to throw mods at it and autocross it. Plenty of power with god-tier handling. The price it paid was that it was cramped and lacked features. It also had rattles even with only 30k miles on it. The FoST fixes those downsides, but then its big, heavy, and not as nimble feeling. It had more power, and was the better DD ride though.

In the end I bought the fully loaded 2016 FoST for 19k with 20k miles. When I buy a second car it'll probably be an out of warranty 2014 or 2015 FiST that I can mod to my hearts content.

Those shit engines in those fists blow up as soon as the warranty runs out.

Some faggot weed man I know is always speeding along the highway smoking weed in his 'sports' car. The WEEK his warranty ran out the engine grenades and he took it to Ford and they told him to pay full for the repair or fuck off.

Never had a better day in my life. He bought a brand new civic SI to replace it. Aka from one slow fat car to another.

This faggot never been to a track in his life. Thinks he's a good driver because he weaves through stand still traffic.

Fucking Fist faggots are the worst. Why spend $20k on FWD plastic economy car with a 'sport' badge TWICE when much better and cheaper used cars exist? Get a fucking Miata atleast.

>faggot abuses car
>THEY ALL EXPLODE!

you don't say.

>he cant afford the 2k for a new engine

wat a fukking poof

Why does bigger car = better road trip for most people?

How many fucking bags do you need?

Most people aren't autistic sperglords and have these things called friends that come with them on road trips. It's an odd concept I know.

Having been in multiple hour car trips in both a Fiesta and a Focus any back seat passenger would be glad to be in the Focus.

>Road trip with more than 3 people.

DESU 3 is fucking pushing it. 2 people is optimal.

Not everybody road trips alone, you wouldn't be able to carry four passengers and all their luggage in the hatchback.

Fuck the Ford, get a vw instead. Had a focus, now drive a gti.

Wow great logic and thought out reasoning.
Why did you even post about your cheaply made just if not more unreliable german soyboy box?

The Fiesta is perfectly fine for road tripping if your a solitary incel

Get something bigger if you need to truck around your girlfriend stacy and her three bags worth of luggage (plus shopping trip purchases)

Enjoy paying a premium for any and every repair needed because muhh German car is fancier then a Ford.

They aren't known as ShiT for nothing, Turbo and gearbox problems are common according to the forms.

I'd go with the Focus myself, but that's because I can't get on with the ergonomics of a Fiesta due to fucked-up joints, and need the cargo space and stable motorway handling of the Focus.

Goes down muddy dirt roads and doesn't afraid of anything

You should really check out MazdaSpeed3's.

FiST is the ultimate affordable enthusiast's car. The things have great mileage and a huge aftermarket. I've heard nasty things about FoST and RS engines though.

Sounds like someone got passed by a Fiesta...

Focus is much more of a fuccboi crowd, but don't let that stop you. Get the one you like best.

you can get a used brz/86 for comparable price.

for all the memeposting it's actually faster 0-60 than both the fist and fost, despite not being a straight line car, and it can out handle both with ease. it's a much betters drivers car than these two imo.

I thought the major issue was overheating due to either an inadequate coolant flow through engine, or the head gaskets leaking due to poor sealing from the open deck design.

>faster than the FoST
It's faster by .1 second.
That's not that noteworthy.

A Brz/Fr-s is definitely more of an enthusiast car, but OP is asking for a DD and I think the twins would run for best second car. I hear the driving in the winter is a complete pain in the FR-S.

>they aren't known as SHiT for nothing
Nobody except you calls them that