What's Veeky Forums's opinion on the Fiat 500?

What's Veeky Forums's opinion on the Fiat 500?

Truly the best "citycar" ever?

the 2 cylinder turbo is awesome

I daily a 500 and yea its pretty much the best tight space car ever, its like driving a go cart on the road.

have you ever been in one?

Cute small cars.

My sister has owned 2 500 pops (first she wrecked falling asleep at the wheel. She had an diagnosed health issue), my mother has a 500L, and my dad has one of the higher end 500's. All 3 are driven in southern NE mostly. My mother's 500L goes all around the eastern seaboard due to her job (averages 50-600k miles a year).

All three love them with a passion. No major issues. The 500L had electrical issues early on but I think that was more the result of my mother constantly hitting every pothole in RI than it was a manufacturing issue.

I'm the only one who does not have a FIAT but then again I live in the mountains of Virginia. FIAT gets a bad rap because CR and other outlets are biased against them.

sorry that should be undiagnosed

>50-600k
that's quite the wide span you gave us there.
what's the weakest engine you guys get over there in the US?

Smart car is superior.

Nah. The smart fortwo or the new twingo because of hektik rwd skids. Or the vw up!/seat mii/skoda citigo because of the abundance of cheap as fug parts

sorry. was posting with phone and not proof reading, 50-60k

I will now go flog myself. brb

I know some people that owned 500s, had them as rentals as well.
>dead electronic power steetring devoid of any feel
>bouncy, stiff suspension, awkward seating position
>suspenion bushings made out of cheese (I assume)
>2cyl turbo is a lot technological effort and extra parts that may (will) fail to deliver the same fuel efficiency as the older FIRE engine that was introduced in 1985. Plus the FIRE runs smoother and has no turbo lag
>anything electric is prone to fail. Door locks, window motors, interior fans, you name it.
>Fiat spare parts are surprisingly expensive considering the lack of quality
>rear seats and trunk are a joke, but the 500 doesn't make up for that with decent handling and steeering like the BMW mini
>earlier examples aren't even properly sealed of against corrosion

I think they are cute af, there are plenty of nice colours and the big sunroof is neat.
But holy shit these are sad little turds.

STAY AWAY.
Literally anything else is a better city car.
(Except for a 1st gen Smart maybe, but still fuck 500s and Pandas)

Got a mates dad who's a die hard BMW guy, owns an E36 M3 and an E30 M3 Evo2 and runs a BMW workshop but he got his missus an Abarth 595, had a bit of a tune, exhaust and made 140something kw, it's sure as shit not slow and her only complaint is that she wishes it got a 6speed manual instead of the 5.

the only thing about that that I can confirm for my part is the seating position. Other than that, the steering feels like in every other car. Suspension or bushings hasn't failed yet, neither did the engine.
twinair with almost 170k km now.
>rental
maybe that's the problem. People don't care about rentals and just abuse them like fuck.

>tfw no 6spd for the 0.9
>only 5
really would have liked an overdrive. Still can go 180 km/h without bouncing on the rev limiter.

Drove one for a while. Good in the summer/fall, didn't feel super safe as a winter car.

I didn't have any issues, besides a minor fender bender I was responsible for. I put a used bumper on for dirt cheap

>didn't feel super safe as a winter car
why

ugly and fat.

Close, but I think that designation goes to the 500e.

Another good example is the Spark EV. Both have depreciated like crazy, and at least in the case of the Spark EV, low mile ones are selling for under $10,000.

My girlfriend has a 2013 500 Pop (we're in the USA) with the 1.4L I4 and we both really like it. It doesn't have a ton of miles on it (~23k) but it's been dead reliable so far. The 1.4L actually has a nice exhaust note under full throttle, sounds mean for such a cute and tiny car.

We even hit a deer with it when we were living in the midwest and haven't had any issues crop up from that either.

I'd like a 1957 edition with the abarth engine and a manual trans.

I currently own a Fiesta ST and am currently working on trading it in for the 500 Abarth. I think the FiST is a riot of fun but the interior is legitimately the most boring thing on the planet, something the Abarth succeeds in, also the Abarth is so dang cute i love it. I truly want one.

it's 'tin-y' ... flying down a highway with snow next to trucks and SUVs 3-4x larger than you isn't comforting. visibility with snow is shitty in small cars too

My mother had one before a some guy decided to not give her precedence in a roundabout, totaling the car.
As far as city car goes it's fairly good. My mother has a condition on her wrist that partially impairs her left hand movements and strength, however the 500 steering is very light by itself and you could make it even lighter (literally dragging one finger along the steer is enough) with the CITY™ mode button.
However the rear seats is good only for 2 children, that's it. A normal person (1.70 meters) starts to be camped.
Fuel consumption wise is generally low, averaging 10-15km/l on LPG, probably higher if the START&STOP™ system had ever worked, but it never did.

500 ≠ 500 abarth. One is a city car the other is joke as sports car.

First off its still a city car, same dimensions and still great fuel economy, secondly neither the FiST nor the Abarth are sports cars, their just got hatches that are a lot of fun to go hoon with.

hot* God damn it

Fuck, one of my car dreams is to drive an old Mini or 500. I really wonder what that would be like since im 1,83m and they are 620 and 511 kg

Smart Fortwo is a lemon and the new Twingo will pull you out of skids with it's ecu and it's impossible to disable.

Test drove one, if you like the feel of zippy small cars you will love driving one.

Would have bought but the reliability is meant to be abysmal.

the Smart is also way too short. I get it's meant to be compact but it's the wrong shape. And you cant turn the ECU off? I didn't know that.

Trying to find the video that explains the ecu thing, apparently even if you remove the fuse for the stability control it will still govern itself. Can't find the video though so I might be talking out of my ass. Twingos are qt though and pretty neat little cars.