Failing Smog

inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/d/2003-acura-rsx/6444559454.html
Looking to buy this but the owner says it's failing for smog due to the broken O2 sensor, causing the check engine light to pop up (Codes are P1166 and P1167). I looked up how much an O2 sensor costs on google, my only question is, how can I be sure that "that's" what's causing it to fail?

Other urls found in this thread:

orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/d/only-1994-lexus-ls400-runs/6442238969.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

"If the vehicle is over 4 years old, it is the seller's responsibility to provide proof of a current smog certification unless the a smog certification was submitted within the past 90 days. Proof of smog certification is not required if the title to the vehicle is being transferred within a family.

If you do sell it without a smog certification and it doesn't pass, the seller is responsible for repairing it to the smog certification standards."
-The CA DMV

In other words I can just buy it and then tell him to pay for repairs? Doesn't sound bad but I also don't want it being taken to some sketchy mechanic.

Yes. And the seller can tell you to eat shit.

This is basically in place so that when you sell a car it needs to be passing smog already. You can ask him about it but most likely he'll just get defensive and weird about it, in which case I would just move on and look for one that doesn't have this issue. They are great cars, I had a TSX for a long time and always wanted the RSX instead.

Yah, it's not like he hid the fact from me.

Anyways my point is, how many things could cause these codes to pop up? If it's just like 3 possible causes, then it's not the end of the world.

>automatic
Wtf is wrong with you faggot?

I'm using it to commute, not autox

>I'm too lazy to drive a car super light clutch in traffic

You hit the nail on the head user

I fall asleep like 3 times a day going to and from work, starting to think driving a manual might not be that bad

not trying to be THAT guy, but my dad's got an 04 AT TSX, my buddy bought an 05 MT TSX.

MT 6th gear overall is shorter than the AT 5th gear. ~2500 rpm at 120km/h in the AT vurses ~3100rpm at 120km/h in the MT. Around that time the automatics started being better than the manuals in terms of them highway emm-pee-gees

>how can I be sure that "that's" what's causing it to fail?
You can't. See if the seller tried to smog already so you can review the failed check. Also it's possible the car also has mods like an intake that are causing it to fail. You need to do your due diligence

kys

Texted the owner and he said it's all stock, but I just found out that he's not even sure when it last passed smog, on top of not having service records.

run away

Just avoid it. Cars with mystery problems are not for people like you.

Yah I told him I'm not interested, what a shame.

orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/d/only-1994-lexus-ls400-runs/6442238969.html

here's a comfy automatic car that should be fairly reliable.

180k is a bit much isn't it?

not for an ls400. matt farah's has over 900k.