What is the best engine ever made?

What is the best engine ever made?

Other urls found in this thread:

lsxmag.com/news/necessity-is-the-mother-of-invention-brian-kings-awd-1982-cutlass/
youtu.be/Wtnvpgdfq9c
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

1uz stronk

Cummins

VG33E

Something with low compression and air cooled. A combination like that can make an engine last forever

Small block chevy

over 100 million engines made

Holden 5ltr

Volvo B230

They don't last forever. They break all the time and you're suffering from nostalgia. Those engines were finicky and took a lot of upkeep, not to mention constant overheating in warmer climates.

You didn't grow up in the 70s when there were always Beetles and the superbus littered on the sides of highways, either broken down or overheated.

Small Block Chevy.

That's because those cars were pushed to their limits 100% of the time. A low compression, air cooled engine with decent displacement to weight ratio would be very reliable. I think this is why mid 90s aircooled motorcycles are dead reliable, especially honda bikes

I see your point. I called my father to ask him about what he remembered in the past.

Said those damn beetles just wouldn't quit running.

Foot in mouth. I was wrong.

Electric motor

My brother

Best engine is the Honda B series.

this guy knows

Gen 1 Chevy 350
AMC 242

retarded fucking boomer

I'm not even 30 dude but now I wanna hear why you say that

may i ask why everyone is saying sbc? I a gen 1 350 in an older monte carlo and am trying too decide if i should go ls or maybe something neat/ different like a ca18det

Best engine ever made for what?
Going fast? Delivering mail? Getting stellar fuel economy? Powering your mom's dildo? Pulling logs out of a forest? Going for long distances with shit maintenance? Having a huge aftermarket? Be specific.

AMC 4.0 HO

There is no argument.
This is objectively the best engine ever made.

>Last literally forever
>muh torks
>inline 6 goddess

Any contender that isn't an inline 6 is a joke of a contender.
All the v6 or v8 cucks haven't ever had a good inline 6.
If you're going to deal with the headache of a v engine, you might as well go all out and go v12.

Go awd...

I personally like the gen 1 350 because of insane anounts of modularity. Millions of combinations and permutations of the engine exist you can 100 percent customize it to your application.

Unless of course you don't want a 500lb engine

Honda B16A

Quad 6's confirm inline 6 is god tier.

not my actual car just thought it looked nice. pic related is mine

interestingly enough g bodies can actually be made awd with s10 parts lsxmag.com/news/necessity-is-the-mother-of-invention-brian-kings-awd-1982-cutlass/

i appreciate that aspect of it as well. Have been researching afr cylinder heads turns out they also sell an almost LS like composite plastic intake, who knew? i watch alot of engine masters and shows like that to learn about how to make big power, sounds like i need good aluminum heads/camshaft/intake.

I do worry about weight alot, always trying to shave extra pounds and an aluminum block Ls would help just sounds like getting it to run would be espensive, curious how cheap i could do the swap

wow, i actually saw that article recently but guess i didnt remember it being all s10 stuff. very cool!

i was slightly mistaken though, he did use some trailblazer parts too but i remember reading that the g body shares a very similar frame with the s10

close enough, and yes they are quite similar. people commonly swap rotors and spindles from s10's and blazers. Neat project for sure but truthfully I couldnt see doing it to my car, just enjoy the rwd too much :)

1LR-GUE

Electric motors are objectively better than any ICE the only issue is supplying the electricity.

>Electric motors are objectively gayer than any ICE the issue is they're gay.
ftfy

I had a low compression smog era smallblock that now got some Torquer heads put on and a mild street/strip cam with full roller rockers. Then it got an aluminum intake, headers and a supercharger and ACCEL performance coil, module, and distributor with adjustable vacuum advance. It's doing pretty good now fun as fuck to drive in a rwd 3 speed car. Wish I could remove all the smog stuff and switch to a better carb for max powah

Muh 3800 series 3

Is that a 2nd gen Camaro?

Whats the engine in those old pontiacs? Its a little two door. Dont know which it even is, the car model. Looks like a grand prix but two door.
Ppl used to race them.
Pre 90s but after 70s i believe

Awesome dude, love that style blower! must be a beast have you had the opportunity to get it dyno'd? Why not remove the egr stuff, is it a state law thing? I am in Md on historics and had no emissions problems

where did you pick up those valve covers, good weight savings?

I know, I've been wanting to try something like that with a fourth Gen fbody. Have you seen the video? youtu.be/Wtnvpgdfq9c

Show is. And I should give a shout out to /ccg/ who basically helped every step of the way.

State law for California your not smog exempt unless you're model year 75 or earlier and I'm a 79. Haven't dyno yet I want to recurve my distributor and re gear with positraction to get the most power to the rear wheels

didn't know about the cali laws, sorry to hear that..
I would love to get on a dyno and maybe get help tuning or something to optimize it, don't know too much about practically tuning a carb, or distributor other than just simple adjustment.

Any advice on bang-for-buck engine mods or brands, etc. ?

What do u have right now?

nice little g10 but i have forever longed for the g13...
don't know about the low compression but VW's were air cooled engines...
This... best at what? Based on OP's pic i'd say fuel economy...
When you know a guy it shouldn't be a problem i've learned...

2002 qr25de

A massive tie between the straight sixes born from the Ford 144ci.

S54, hands down

1971 Buick 454 with a cam and mpfi

Winner

6bt

>No torks
>Race engine reliability

It's a gud engine, and a fun engine, and a blast.
But it's not THE BEST ENGINE.
AMC 4.0 HO or bust.

this. the FI variant is a bit of a dog, but mine's still going stronk at 433k miles.

>People think engines lasting long means they're the greatest

It's not hard to make a low stress, low power, generator tier engine that can run forever.

>Buick 454

Wut

>electric motors are objectively better than any ICE the only issue is electricity

Is it a 2 or 4 bolt main motor?

I have a 2-bolt 350 I want to slap a pump on but I'm not sure if it's worth it or if I should just get a 4-bolt block

They sell them a couple different places. These are from Custom Works Performance. Weight savings is marginal but damn they are sexy

>purchasing valve covers based on weight
>manstaringatcomputermonitorwithapuzzledexpression.png

Honestly the LS is a very solid design and beats pretty much everything that's similar to it. I know there's some people here who hate it, but it's a damn good engine.

How come these 'low stress' engines you talk about end up dying with fewer hours on them than well built car engines?

Yeah, 6BTs, 300's, and AMC 4.0's drop like flies eh.

please convince me OHV valve is better than OHC

Bought the car with the motor already in it so i dont know everything

>882 iron heads
>speedway polished alum intake?
>camshaft?
>Holley 4bbl unknown cfm
>new spectre air filter
>new vale cover gaskets
>new dizzy w/ MSD 6al and ignition coil and wires
>shitty edelbrock emissions headers
>shitty 7.5 rear with granny gears
>2004r with B&M ratchet
>ac/egr delete
>stripped interior
>non-clutch mech fan.. def want elec fans

We have a miss communication at this point.

WITNESSED

My nigga! Head over to /ccg/ to not derail this thread but sweet fuckin ride

lmao you have know idea how far down the rabbit hole i have fallen

You're an idiot for doing the meme spyware color change bullshit.
Kys normie fag.

My mac does it for freeeee :3

=^_^=

wow, rude :( my eyes starting hurting so i changed it 2 days ago. if it spies on me maybe i should delete it. ty for the heads up

>Calls anything he doesn't like a meme
>Thinks eye saving feature is spyware
>Uses normie so he can fit in with retards on other boards

Now That's What I Call Ignorant Normie!

>not purchasing everything based on weight

It is so important and so often overlooked!

pic very related

can you like post a higher resolution version

no

unfortunately no, i have searched meticulously and that is the only one iv'e been able to find.

I beleive the image originates from the gbody.com forums

Inline engines don’t make any more torque than V engines and make significantly less power. Thanks for playing

how did you ever get to be so dumb?

There is no difference in power output other than drive train loses caused by the inherently unbalanced V6.

There are no drivetrain losses in a V6 or any engine for that matter.

>Implying the crank shaft isn't the drive train
Protip: A DRIVETRAIN warranty covers your ENGINE.

Engine is part of a drivetrain, the engine isn't a drivetrain. Lol @ this dumbass.

On a V configuration the intake and exhaust runners are more straight through since the ports point naturally up/down towards standard manifold locations (referred to as a straight through design around the time the hemi was introduced). In an online engine cylinder head the runners have to go perpendicular from the ports to get away from the block to be mounted. The bends kill flow and velocity and kill power. They’re objectively inferior for power and history has demonstrated it. They can rev higher with flat plane cranks and internal balancing but those things are not exclusive to an online design.

>Power losses in your transmisison aren't drivetrain losses!
Drivetrain losses isn't just the sum of all losses you fucking goon.

>the transmission is the engine

Lol dumbass.

Draw what you're talking about.

>intake manifolds are difficult to change

>Engine is your drivetrain
>Transmission is your drivetrain
>But one doesn't count as drivetrain because reasons
Dank arbitrary definitions my dude.

You're literally the only retard who thinks this.

>The drivetrain of a motor vehicle is the group of components that deliver power to the driving wheels. This excludes the engine or motor that generates the power.

I'll say it again, LOL DUMBASS.

It adds up. Not like they’re only 50% as powerful but it’s an obvious difference. Takes a shitload of work to get them on par but it can be done

Alternatively you could just have your exhaust headers run straight out of the hood. This all sounds really dumb to some of you I’m sure, but engines are just air pumps. You can literally do nothing but put a cone on top of your carburetor and get 8 horsepower

Straight and short exhaust wouldn't be the best for power.

The drivetrain of the Model S P100D is incredible.