Veeky Forums

Veeky Forums,

I've got a budget of about 30k, give or take. I'm thinking of getting the 2018 Subaru BRZ, or an Impreza. Are there any comparable cars for the cost? The biggest thing for me would be the Impreza's AWD. With the BRZ not having AWD I may consider something else. The new Impreza's are ugly, but having a car like that with AWD would be quite nice.

please get a wrx
>more horsepower
>more seats
>cheaper insurance cause 4 door
>just as reliable

They are both mediocre in their class. Get a slightly used mk7 Golf R for 30k

The Subaru BRZ costs 36.400 euros in my country.
If I really wanted cheap laughs I would go for a Renault Megane GT. Yea, it's fwd and not that much of an drift machine, but it has more power (5 more bhp to be correct) and it costs 22.100 euros new. That's an ass-blastic 14.300 euros less.
It also has 2 more doors, it's a practical DD, looks much better imho, and it's still a fun car.

And has AWD, but fuck it looks ugly

If I'm getting a foreign vehicle I'm getting japshit.

It starts at 25k or so in the US.

My options are limited here as the dealers in this area are garbage and I'm not driving to Chicago or St Louis for a car, in the event I don't get one from a dealer there I'd rather not waste that much time and gas.

I'd prefer a 2 door. When I have a coupe I'm always the designated driver, and I just like 2 doors. Too bad the wrx doesn't have a coupe.

>muh all wheel drive
Motherfucker, I live in western michigan where it snows plenty more there whatever the fuck state you're from and I have never been in a situation where I "needed" awd or 4x4. How much snow do you get a year? And don't ballpark it off your riddilin shot memory, post link to precipitation records for where you live. You want "safety and security" in inclement wether? Buy better tires fuck head. The number of times I've driven past some shit head stuck in the snow because his lesbowagon got slid off the road in snow that my featherweight crx can handle fine is astounding. 4 wheels helps you go faster, nothing else. Do you want control, do you want to stop? Then by some skinny snow tires and move on. Same goes for the wet. You want to not slide? You want to move water from under your tires and maintain contact with the pavement? Then buy fucking tires that can do that retard. A drivetrain aint going to do shit for you but get you moving faster, that's it.

Also, both your cars suck. Subaru is for soccermoms and fags who are too afraid to actually buy what they want.

Something tells me you have more than one seat in that car. Why did you buy something like that? You don't need it.

We don't get much snow, mostly ice. I'm in Central IL.

I need AWD because I live on a dirt road that's 5 miles long. It's a pain in the ass to get anywhere and I'm tired of my 94 bronco eating up gas.

I'd love to see your shitty CRX make it through the mud here.

Go away stupid frogposter

If you’re not opposed to used, a 2016-2015 Mustang Gt. If you’re only looking at New a new mustang eco boost.

Not opposed, but my brothers and sisters all have Mustangs, kind of bored of them at this point. I was thinking of that AWD challenger, but doesn't look like it comes in manual...

>With the BRZ not having AWD I may consider something else.

Do you live with a shit tonne of snow? Just curious as companies always advertise meme wheel drive like it's a daily necessity. With a budget like yours there is no reason why you couldn't buy the BRZ and and shit winter beater if conditions get bad.

>wrx ugly as fuck

It's faster than the brz, awd and much better good looking lol. If you say otherwise then you're obv a ricer boy

That's what I'm doing now. Have a 300zx as a daily that I'm getting tired of maintaining, and driving down a dirt road when it rains. For the winter I have a 94 Bronco with 35" tires on it, but it guzzles gas like a motherfucker. That 351 is a pain and it's needing a new clutch soon.

Wanting something a bit versatile really, but I'd probably end up with the wrx as says.

I dunno, the WRX just looks like a soccer mom-mobile to me.

Get it. Best handling feel of any car until you get to cayman territory. Tons of support and community. Teaches you how to drive well if your interested in track days. Doesn’t look like a Camry with a wing on it. Super easy to fix the torque dip and to add power with F/I. Interior on the 17+ is miles ahead of the first gen. Back seats are small but can fit an adult easily if needed. Incredibly reliable now and stupid cheap to maintain. Even if you race, you’re consumables are dirt cheap.

The AWD makes the Impreza a real snow monster. If I had to drive through blizzards and mountain passes or whatever all the time that's what I would want.

If you're going to be doing casual winter driving where most of the time they'll have the roads plowed and you just need to deal with some slush and you're not worried about the lower ground clearance of the BRZ then it's really no biggie to use in the winter even if you're just on decent all seasons as long as you enjoy doing some sliding and countersteering along the way.

Kind of personal preference imo unless the practicality is a make or break for you. Same if you'd rather switch brands for a nicer interior or whatever possibly at the expense of being a less capable car or less of a driver's car.

I don't care about interior, really. I just need a good stereo, a manual transmission, and something practical.

Again, my biggest problem is my road. If it rains I have to take my truck to work, I've never had a car make it down that road. Then it goes to gravel for a couple miles, then paved road, then finally a county highway. For the first 12 miles of my trek it's roads that have no salt and no plow.

BRZ or WRX?

The BRZ's stereo is not that good, and it's a loud car to boot. If you want to listen to the news or have some tunes on in the background it's serviceable. But if you want to enjoy music it might be a bad choice. Take one on a test drive on a less than perfect road and get it up to something close to highway speed and you'll probably figure out pretty quick if you think you can live with it or whether that's going to wind up bothering you.

Try a few different songs since it's got this crazy bass resonance that doesn't always manifest. But then you hit a song that sits right in the resonant frequency and it can be pretty bad. I don't know if they're still using the same head unit as in mine, but it's got some EQ settings that you can tinker with that don't really help all that much beyond turning off the automatic volume compensation that seems to be more like a "how to learn to really hate the bass resonance" setting.

As for the road, again imo it's mostly about ground clearance. It holds up fine in rain or mild slush or dirt or whatever, but if it's deep enough that you'd have to dig the car out in the morning or worry about plowing through snow then not so much. If you've never had a car make it down that road that doesn't sound very encouraging. I've had nothing but good experiences with an Impreza in deep snow, mud, gravel, dirt, or anything else as long as it's not serious enough that you really just need a truck.

dynamat it

I don't feel like pulling apart the door cards to figure out what they did wrong. Seems like a horrible accidental band pass enclosure where it might be fixable by just covering whatever serves as the port. But I don't use mine for a whole lot of music so it's alright for my purposes. The highs are pretty sibilant, too, so I know if I started in on it I'd wind up pulling the dash apart and replacing speakers and stuff, which I don't want to get sucked in to doing.

If Toyobaru is lurking, this would be another thing that might be improved without much cost in a future version of the car.

Music is quite important as I take very long road trips about once every quarter. However, I don't mind shit quality audio as long as I can make it out. I have a home stereo for high quality. My 300zx only has the front speakers working and I play through a casette to aux anyway.

The problem with the road is only in the rain. Clearance isn't an issue, it's more just traction. The dirt doesn't rut too bad unless you're gunning it. However, when it's muddy out it can be tricky, especially considering one side of the road is about a 5' drop from a field, curved, steep, and has been known to cause people to flip their vehicles. I've had a few close calls before.

My family says to just move, but dammit it's the perfect home other than that.

>wrx isnt ricer shit magnet
Wow youre a real dumbass

BRZ. For people complaining about the stereo, adjust the EQ. It was horrible form the factory but if you know what to do, you can set it decently. Sure it’s not going to be a reference quality system but we’re talking about Subaru here. If you’re that anal, get OEM+ audio plug and play kit for the car.

Yikes, well this demon road worries me more than anything. The LSD in the BRZ is definitely a help for traction in slippery stuff, but it's not magic. The electronic nannies do a pretty reasonable job of mitigating excessive wheelspin and getting the rear back in line if you're not trying to slip and slide. But if its not something your 300zx can deal with very well then I would guess it'd be iffy for a BRZ as well.

As for the rest I find it adequate for long trips and the sound is at least as good as my old shitbox so that's good enough to for occasional music.

Does it let you do anything approximating a parametric EQ? It really seems like if you could dial it in to just notch out that one nasty resonance that would at least make it so you don't hate certain songs where you either can't hear the low end or you get overwhelming booming. Factory EQ adjustments on mine aren't really in the right places.

Have you looked at the hyundai genesis 2 door coupe?

Sorry, no gays allowed

>hyundai

Only foreign shit I'll buy is japshit. Unless it's an old Daewoo. As the commercial said, "If the bitches be trippin, I be driftin"

Yep! But this is on the 17+ head unit so I’m not sure about the first gen style.

Just get the WRX OP, they're fucking great cars no matter how much autistic screeching saying otherwise goes around on here. Almost all of it is about the perceived stereotypes of driving a WRX.

Failing that, get a secondhand 86 or BRZ and use the remaining money to get some performance parts for it. The only thing that'll really change is how you hit the tree
>BRZ sideways into tree
>WRX head-on into tree

>buying FWD over RWD
>buying a renault of all car brands
I have some bad news for you my dude

But what if there are no trees?

300zx can deal with it, but about 1/3rd of the time I'd say I have to walk back to my truck and pull it out. I don't drive it if I know it's going to rain, but the weather here is unpredictable. Real pain in the ass sometimes.

Well the WRX is most of the fun of the BRZ. Some would say more. I'd probably not keep my BRZ if I had to start dodging the weather a lot unless it were a second car for fun, and then I might get a miata or something instead in that case if I didn't really need an all-purpose car.

sounds like someone had never used fwd car on the track

Get a used 228xi
240hp, AWD, 23/35 mpgs, almost 50/50 weight distribution
a decent one could probably be had around 25k

My brother had one of those, bought it certified used. It was in the shop more than he drove it. Sold it and bought a '16 Mustang.

>Buying a povertymobile for 30k
wew lad

Gencoupe owner here,
Fite me IRL