Need to get disabled car out of garage

>Context
So my parents have had my dad's old non-functional 1998 Honda Accord in their garage for... a long time. My mom is tired of the space being taken up for no reason and wants me to help get rid of it. She called some companies that pay for and tow away disabled cars, but none of them are willing to take the Accord because it's in the garage (they don't want liability for potentially damaging the garage).

I don't know why exactly the car doesn't work, but I could probably find out from my dad. I do not know the condition of the brakes, parking brake, and transmission since the car has been sitting in the garage for many years.

Assuming I can shift into neutral and push the car, there is a problem: my driveway is sloped and the car would roll away uncontrollably if none of the brakes work.

>The Plan
To deal with this problem I will set up as shown in the image, then push the broken Accord to rest against the working car. Then I will put the working car in neutral and slowly, using the brakes, back the Accord out of the garage, allowing the car to be taken away by whatever company my mom calls.

I can easily get my dad or friends to help so assume I have 2 or 3 people (including myself) to execute this plan.

>Questions
- Is there a better way of doing this?
- Do you think this will work?
- Is there a steering lock on a 1998 Accord?
- How do I deal with this if we can't find the key? Can I still push the car?
- The Accord's battery has been dead for many years, so how do I power the steering lock?

How about you check to see if the brakes work first?

holy fuck the autistic delineation of your situation is appalling

fuckin retard

Get in the car and have someone else push it and you steer it you idiot.

I mean it would probably work, no doubt you'll break something along the way tho. Best bet is first off see if the breaks work.

Use a winch if you have some point to tie off.

Assuming the brakes don't work, what do I do?

Restore the car to running condition and drive it out. Then use it or sell it to someone in need. Why would you junk your father's once loved little car?
You sound like an asshole.

Just use the e-brake you raving autist holy fuck.

Assuming that doesn't work too? This car has been in the garage for around 8 years.

use the parking brake and hope to fuck it works. Slowly creep it down the hill once you get it started past the initial lip.

Usually steering locks are mechanical, once you put the key in the cylinder you are able to turn the wheel freely. If you cant find the key, then hope to fuck the wheels are straight and AT LEAST the parking brake works. I've had a brake line blow out on one of those generation accords while on the highway, shit was not cash.

Should be easy as fuck to back that thing onto a trailer. Just find the right trailer at uhaul or on craigslist.

I'm just terrified of what happens if the parking brake doesn't work. The driveway is steep enough that the car would easily roll into the neighbors' car, or maybe my mailbox. If I can get the car to the flat road, it shouldn't matter whether the brakes work.

e-brake is mechanical moron

>this fucking thread

Steering lock is manual usually, but yea that'll be an issue if it isn't straight in the garage. If the parking brake doesn't work, and its a real possibility that it won't, you should have some wood laying around to stop it from rolling while it sits in your driveway until the towing companies come to take it away. You also shouldn't even need the other car if you have two men on the back end and one guy pushing it out of the garage.

Good luck.

How about trying to fix the car you fucking retard

check the brake fluid level in the master cylinder reservoir. If thats empty your dad might've blown a brake line or something to that effect. Get in the vehicle and PUMP THE FUCK out of the brakes and see if they give you good resistance. However, without vaccum assist that pedal is going to be HARD AS FUCK.

I'd say ask your dad why he parked the car if he's still around. Otherwise "sins of our fathers" etc etc.

Put some tires or concrete blocks at the end of the driveway and push the car out, or and I think this might be a real option Here. Put the car in gear and parking break on, attach a tow rope to the back and the other end to the working car and just drag the bitch, it's going to make some noise and would probably damage stuff on the accord but who cares.

Have you really never had a hand brake that doesn't work? You sound just as dumb as him

Just out of curiosity... Why not just wait, call one of those companies that take cars as donations, then roll it out of the garage and onto their flatbed?

If it's manual, you can keep it in reverse and slowly press the clutch to let the car go, lifting the clutch back up if it goes too fast.
You are basically braking with your engine

Have you done this before? Cars are heavy as shit and I don't really want me or my friends to get run over.

It's an automatic, probably should have said that.
That's what my mom did, but they're still antsy about getting the car out of the garage. Hence my entire problem.

Step one: tie rope to the frame of the car.
Step two: toss rope over garage rafters to act as a sort of pulley
Step three: tie a slipknot on the other end so when the car rolls down the driveway the rope will tighten
Step four: roll car out of garage
Step five: put loop in rope around your neck, quickly, and FUCKING KILL YOURSELF.

Then just go see if the brakes do work.
I can't believe you have 6 different inoperable brakes.

How are people this fucking dumb

because they rarely fail unless it's from a retard doing a brake job or some shit. Don't be an autist, maybe on a 70's car it could rust dead but in a 98 accord it's not fucking likely.

Let's hear your plan fuk boi

I could absolutely see the cable being seized or broken or stretched. The last thing OP wants is two good stops and then failure.

Not him, but I have been a mechanic and out of the thousands of cars I serviced, the only time I saw a broken handbrake was when an old ass guy drove 10 miles with the brake pulled and the rear brakes seized. That's it, not a single handbrake failed like you said when I worked there.
It's a fucking steel cable, it doesn't magically stretch long enough to become ineffective just because you keep it pulled.
What's with all this paranoia about handbrakes?

They literally only have two jobs to do: keep your car stopped and stop your car when all else fails, but Mr. user who knows better says they might as well not exist for how much they fail so I better believe it.
Just because that one time a friend of a friend of your cousin's coworker had his handbrake take two clicks longer than normal, doesn't mean everyone should be sweating bullets over their handbrakes snapping, stretching or stop working.

aside from all the...uh, feedback...in this thread, one thing i'll add/confirm

be mindful of the angles and lever effect that will happen due to the overhang on the broken car behind the rear wheels. if you roll it back into the cushioning material against the good car, as the bad car begins down the slope, the contact point is going to change in height on the good car, and you'll do shit like crunch plastic pieces or literally lift the back wheels off the ground on the non running car, sitting on top of the good car.

don't ask me how I know, just trust that I do.

have you never serviced a car that was winter driven in a salt state?

lifespan on parking brake components is 10, maybe 15 years before shit starts to seize up. parking brake cables and hardware are like a maintenance item in the midwest if the owner cares to keep it operational.

Use a tow bar you mongrel

I live in a part of Europe where winters are cold and snowy and summers are hot and humid, and the only service I have ever done to handbrakes (apart from that idiot I told you about) was turning the adjusting nut on handbrake cables because the driver didn't like the extra click after 10 years.

Also some old Alfas had a bad habit of breaking the cable's supporting brackets so the cables dangled from the floor and became sort of ineffective, but that's not really the cable's fault.

Handbrakes in general are something pretty much nobody talks about here, because they always work

>move your shit cars out of the way
>have tow truck haul it up on flat bed in driveway
>have a good day

I had a car for a while that had an utterly useless handbrake. I could set it all the way on the freeway and still keep driving without more of a difference than having AC kick on. It is very possible for a handbrake to fail/not work well enough. I had to put it in gear on hills to stop it from rolling, so there's no guarantee that the handbrake would be strong enough to stop the car from rolling back.

I figured you had a typical driveway incline, it's a fairly light weight car that two able bodied men could hold it as long as the grounds dry.

empty tire (no wheel, this defeats the purpose) strapped to front of working car like a grille wreathe. I have done this many a time, but considering you're junking it, it's probably a better idea to strap the tire to the junker.

Have the working car as close to the junker as possible until gravity starts doing the work, for obvious reasons

if you don't have an empty tire laying around, use a thick pillow, like a sofa cushion or baby mattress. with a good amount of effort, you can pop the spare tire off it's wheel and use that since you're junking it anyway

Use the parking brake

I'd honstly try and boost it and get it running. Ask your dad specifically what's wrong with it.

Get a manual winch or some tow straps and a pulley

If it’s automatic and none of the brakes work, just fucking roll it then PUT IT IN PARK.

>tries to pop tire off rim
>explosively decompresses and kills user
>no more junk car problems.

>i'm too durr to test if the brakes work
Jack up the rear, disengage the ebrake and spin the wheels by hand. Then see if pulling the ebrake stops them

If ebrake works then put it in neutral, roll it down, then ebrake to stop. If not jack up the front, put in neutral, and see if regular brakes work using the same method

Where do you live? If you're in the PDX area I could drag it out with my truck that has a large bumper to stop it from going anywhere

This.