Porsche 987S Cayman and Boxster

Hey Veeky Forums, Veeky Forumsraeli here running several online businesses. It's about time I sold my shitbox and bought something fun with my gains. I'm only 19 and on scholarship for college, so the 987 Cayman and Boxster are the PERFECT cars for me. They're fun, look great, affordable, get pretty good mpg, plus the reliability of a modern Porsche is a huge plus.

Naturally, I've got a few questions you lads might be able to answer:

>Who do you assume drives this car when you see it? If kept well, do you think I would
>How ridiculous is the insurance, especially for someone my age? I plan on purchasing the car in cash in a month or so(whenever my 20 year-old shitbox I bought at 15 sells), so a car payment will not be an issue
>any major mechanical issues I should be aware of aside from the IMS bearing?
>Could I drive this on a college campus without looking like a faggot or trustfund kid? I run 3 different businesses and pay my own tuition and can finally afford a fun car
>If I can't afford a 2009+ model with the PDK, how is the clutch and shifter?

thanks lads, also if you want to hear about my business I'd love to help you out

fuck off flamo

who the fuck is flamo

i just want a fun car for college fuck

It looks similar enough to newer Porsches that some dumbasses might be jealous, but you aren't in high school anymore, so no one will care about it enough to stop talking to you or to damage your car.

When I see a Cayman, I automatically assume that the driver cares about driving, as people who don't care about driving usually get the Boxster because muh convertible. Then again, I may be biased because I love the Cayman. Normies might think that you couldn't afford a 911 (if they somehow figure out it isn't a 911)

You should get the Cayman over the Boxster if you are still on the fence over it.

>no one will care about it enough to stop talking to you or to damage your car.
This is extremely important to me. I go to a pretty big state college but I live at a semi-private dorm(thank you veterans benefits) where most, if not all of the kids come from a lot more money than I do and are VERY materialistic so O feel like it might be an issue, but I should be fine.

The only reason I'm considering a Boxster is cost. Boxsters are much cheaper than Caymans of the same year.

I'd rather have a Miata than a Boxter desu. Cayman is pretty sweet though.

Caymans are good.

The insurance is going to fucking blow. Go on Progressive's site or another insurance co's site and punch it in to see for yourself.

Clutch is gud. Caymans are great all around in terms of driving feel.

You're going to look like a trustfund cuck no matter what you do, especially at a college where 95% of people of similar age drive fucking shitboxes because college is expensive.

I got called out for having a "nice newer" fucking truck at 23 years old when I went back a year ago. Pic related. Fucking 10 year old turd. People are going to call you out.

>especially at a college where 95% of people of similar age drive fucking shitboxes
You'd actually be shocked. I go to Florida State and it's gentrifying really, really fast.

I take absolutely no money from my parents(save for VA benefits, because otherwise we'd just kind of be pissing away free money), lots of people know this, so I would think it would be fine.

Base Caymans are going for 16k on Cargurus, that just seems ridiculous. The perfect economical sportscar that still has all the looks of a high end sportscar.

shit wrong pic

my porsche pictures folder is rivaling my btc wallet in total filesize at this point

>btc wallet in total filesize at this point
So like what. 0.0000362 of a bitcoin? :^)

that was a joke. most of my btc is on my ledger anyway

>Wants a car that was built for going around turns
>lives in Florida

lel. Just buy a fucking used Lexus and stick to that. I don't understand people who buy sports cars who live in areas that are straight up flat.

>I don't understand people who buy sports cars who live in areas that are straight up flat.
because they're still fun to drive regardless? Also north florida(where I go to college) has lots of really fun twisty roads. Nothing like mountains but still very fun coming from someone who grew up with every street layed out in a grid for miles

>>If I can't afford a 2009+ model with the PDK, how is the clutch and shifter?
The manuals are good, still the transmission of choice for muh feels and infinitely better than the tiptronic on the pre-facelift cars. Facelift cars also switched to a new engine family which has zero IMS bearing issues, so they're definitely the way to go if you can afford them.

That's really good about the IMS, I just don't think I can spend that much money. I want to make my car payment as low as possible, if not buy the car outright.

I think of first gen boxsters as the enthusiast driver car that people can afford to beat on and the Cayman as the "I'm too poor to afford a 911" car.
I've just seen way more Boxster's doing actual motorsport. Like a 10:1 ratio. I've seen more people fielding GT2/3's than Caymans.

>19 year old
>porch insurance
get a supra f a m

provided you're not full of shit. buy a normal car and learn not to flaunt your wealth. you'll just become a target and will only receive the admiration of sluts that want your money, everyone else will just resent you.buy an audi or some shit, and save the Porsche for your weekend driving car or touring car.

I happen to work a coffee shop part time because I like having a monotonous job after a week of mind-intensive work. it's a shitty chain coffee/book store, but there is a man who comes in during the summer times just to relax and people watch, he's a multi-millionaire and is also the most humble man I know, and I respect him for it. he drives a top-trim beetle as his daily and keeps his nice cars at home or his vacay-house.

he loves the fancy porches and mercedes, but will take them out once in a blue moon because he knows it's stupid fucking-gaudy to daily a multi-hundred thousand dollar car and, as an investor, a stupid waste of money. learn to be humble before buying fancy toys with your money, otherwise you will come off to everyone around you as a pompous money flasher.

since you have to ask the question you did, you are either too young and stupid to realize your money and image means nothing to anyone but thieves and thots, or you're full of shit.

>personal anecdote that totally happened
stop being so assmad that a young guy has more money than your loser ass dad

Boxster/Cayman manual is perfect, don't buy PDK there's literally no point in getting an automatic Porsche. You're missing out on so much enjoyment if you do.

you have no idea how entertaining people-watching is to rich people. he is also a swell guy and dispenses personal and financial wisdom at request to the younger folks that talk with him. he is all around a good guy.

>hey dude don’t waste your money on stupid shit just spend it wisely and use it to make more money
>HURRR DURRR U MAD BRO?
Real winner aren’t you?

i have a 986 S, which is very similar mechanically.

clutch and shifter feel great. Watch out with 2nd gear though, it can be crunchy and its a very common issue.

Fuck off, anybody who hates you just for your money isn’t someone worth giving a shit about anyway. We know you’re poor and most likely jealous, but you don’t have to tell other people what they should do with their money or when to drive their nice cars. I bet you’re the type of person to hate on someone in a 911 just because they’re rich and is being a “pompous money flasher” - even if you’ve never met them. There’s no need to take out your anger on people who are better than you.

daily reminder the boxter is the fucking gayest car ever and the ppl who actually purchased ones are douchbags

if you want a drop top porsche, get the fucking carrera which existed at the time of the boxter release, now the 911 has a drop top option too

Financing a used car is a mistake.

Especially a Porsche because if you can't fix it yourself the mechanics will assume your rich and you'll be paying $1k to fix the window regulator and other things that aren't broken.

I look 18 (I'm 28) and the German sports car tax is real and outrageous once you realize its happening.

Further: the 987 is slow. Its 240 hp. $20k financed for a slow car with a nice badge and its already in the later stages of its life?

I hope I'm spelling out to you that you can't afford this and don't want to.

If you were smart you would buy a 125i BMW for half the cost with the same hp, or a 135i/335i for 2/3 the cost with way way more hp.

If you had to have a Porsche you'd get a 986 for $6k.

If you are making money on college you should pay your parents back.

The fuck? A Cayman is like 60k
Or is it not a "real porsche"

>anybody who hates you just for your money isn’t someone worth giving a shit about anyway
A lot of people won't hate you for having money but flaunting it

fucking biz crypto LARPers need to die