Are the trades a meme?

Are the trades a meme?

Ive been hearing about this supposed huge void in the market for skilled tradesmen such as Plumbers, Electricians and Mechanics that promise around 40 to 50k. Yet when I look into it, hardly any companies (in my city at least) offer any apprenticeships unless youve gone to school for said program for 3 to 5 years. Not saying it requires no training, but I would think training along with apprenticeship would be a good combo if such a agortage exists.

One would probably come to the conclusion that if your going to go to school for that long, you might as well go for a profession that doesnt require you to dig holes.

>tl;dr should I go for the trades for the "high demand" or go for medical school?

Are you truly passionate about medicine or are you just going to make money?

Because the trades will suck to get you enough money to live on.

Medicine will suck for every last year of education and training until you are finally a doctor, and then you still have a high as fuck suicide rate.

The void is specifically because there's very few good resources for entry level people to get into the trades.

Well I'm moderately interested in both but mostly just doing it for the money. I guess medicine is slightly more interesting to me and I'm not planning to go for being a doctor. I am leaning more toward surgical tech. Suicide rate is higher?

Seems pretty backwards to me. Why would it be hard to get into? Seems essential infrastructure wise.

Mike is right though.

But it doesn't fucking matter. Millennials are fucked up the ass anyways.

The highest Suicide rates for any occupation are found among farmers construction workers and other blue collar type jobs. They even outdo doctors and engineers

Ignore him and just get a job as a chemical engineer or pharmacist. Great money with less stress. Don't do blue collar jobs ever. Lots of people in my area are on the brink of shooting themselves

>Mike is right though.

Mike gets paid to make the peasant ethic trendy

how convenient that third world immigration, getting a manual labor job, and living minimally becomes cool at a time when the combination of capital and high technology has never been more powerful

What makes those jobs so shitty?

cuz you still need those jobs and plush, soft feminine, white boys don't wanna get they hands dirty cuz is hard to work a real work instead of bitch and moan on the internet about those spics actually doing the dirty job.

> inb4 muh wage
fuck off

You think automation would ever supplant plumbers and electricians?

you have to wake up at 5 am travel 3 hours to location, work like a mule of 8 to 10 hours, drive another 3 hours back, take a shit and a shower, eat, take care of your family, go to sleep before 10 pm, repeat.

most of the time 6 days a week cus the project need to be done on schedule and if you lag a day or 2 you fall behind.

so while your braking your back, your wife/girlfriend is nagging why you don't pay attention to her any more

The law of supply and demand

If there really is an extreme shortage of trade workers, why are wages for those jobs stagnant or decreasing?

>but but I know one person who went into trades and makes 300k starting any job he wants!

And my uncle works at Nintendo. An exception doesn't make the rule.

I think he's right in a way, but I also think the whole "get a trade instead of an education" has much more to do with America's infatuation with blue collar work and the constant romanticism of it.
This. The work is shit. You're in the heat, the cold, the rain, the wind most of the time. Don't forget the odd hours blue collar workers often have to work, sometimes even worse than what white collar odd hours are.

the cost of robotics falls sharply every decade, there are chips that you can buy for

Master plumber in Texas here. Worked and licensed in this trade for ten years. The reasons I chose plumbing is because it gave more variety and a broader skill base than any other skilled trade offered. I can take my knowledge and repipe a home, replace sewer line, install water treatment/softener systems, install gas lanterns, etc.

You pay your "dues" when you're younger, yes. You can live financially comfortable depending on the company you work for and if you're in a big enough city. However, from a physical standpoint, like most blue collar jobs, you will get aches, pains, and arthritis. The simple answer is to get into a trade in your twenties, get experience, pay off debt, and start a company in your early thirties. That way you save your physical body and earn more through employees than you ever could on your own.

I made $107,000 in 2015, $87,000 for 2016. Overtime pay and bonuses really help supplement a standard wage.

Why is it being touted as the panacea to all of your financial ails? Its ridiculous that the amount of schooling it takes to be a plumber, one could simply be an engineer or an RN which pays more.

How did you get into it? It seems like in my city which is Albuquerque, New Mexico you have to suck 50 dicks before anyone even considers you for an apprenticeship. Basically I'm frustrated at this "demand" yet no one hires.

Its akin to people starving but are only willing to eat steak and lobster.

>Its akin to people starving but are only willing to eat steak and lobster.

plumbing fuck-ups are expensive, hiring and insuring employees is expensive

I'm not exactly expecting em to throw me on a 2 million repiping job but I would like to shadow atleast.

not a plumber but like with construction I'm fairly sure there's liability in even having you on site

>there is nothing inherently necessary about peasants in a world with increasing automation

you need them to buy your cyborg made shit still, fuck do you think rich people going to do when there is no more manual work to do, jew one another for fun?

they will have to create an artificial labor just to make the economy move, plus, full on automatisation is decades away, it'll get there but is not even close to being there yet

>its ridiculous that the amount of schooling it takes to be a plumber

is just switch and bait so the jews running the programs get paid, anyone who gets on trade never get through schools, they might start on a school but soon enough you will find a company willing to do internship and finish your knowledge there.
trades that require you to finish school are more on to the mechanical engineering side but ones you get your shit together they are plush as fuck, no traveling or travel paid, mostly indoors and well paid.

for instance if you become a helicopter technician your fucking set, helicopters need to be serviced head to toe every 4 months or 3000 aerials miles what ever comes first and its like 30k every time, you'll never be out of work ever and the paid can't be too bad either

>humans still need us monkeys for hunting and gathering, fuck do you think smart humans going to do when they don't need to hunt for food anymore, farm and do science for fun?

trades themselves aren't a meme. they're generally well paying and a straightforward, dependable way to make a living.

however, the whole "if you get a degree in anything in 2017 instead of wanting to fix other people's shit for a living, you're a gullible snowflake" thing is a meme that is parroted by professional shills like Mike Rowe and high school dropouts who fell into trades as a safety net and are smug from the fact that they manage to make a decent living despite being retarded

plumbers and electricians are paid to install and maintain building automation. Did I blow your mind?

the idea of trying to get more people into the trades is all about lowering the costs by increasing the supply. It's the same reason you'll continue to hear about immigrants (even illegals) being necessary for the economy when we have unemployment. it's true for blue collar and white collar (h1b, outsourcing). the whole point is to lower wages by introducing competition.

It's a race to the bottom.

is proud of winning the race.

I'm a dump truck driver for a VDOT contractor in Northern Virginia.

I take home around $700-800 a week. In the Winter it's more. If it's calling for snow, I get paid to sit at a VDOT lot and wait to get called to start dumping salt and plowing. This last Winter I was working 36 straight hours. Just sitting at the lot. Got paid to sleep, play on my phone, and order pizza. Pretty much every day is just sitting around. I can go back to the shop at the end of the day and get an extra 2-3 hours overtime just hanging around and bull shitting looking busy.

My job takes care of me too. Say I got a doctor's appointment and ask for a half a day off or a day off, my boss will be like don't do that, take the company truck then head on to work.

Blue collar work is the fucking shit if you find the right company. They will take care of you and treat you like family. No bullshit points or occurrence systems. No HR firing people left and right because they don't agree on the same favorite color. Get to talk shit and be on your phone all day fucking off. Today I didn't do shit but a good 2 hour's work then set on the on ramp of a rest area taking a nap and playing Mobile Strike on my phone. Got my 10 hours plus 2 more hanging out back at the shop cleaning my wheels and talking shit with the boss man about college basketball.

Benefits are decent. 401K match up to 5%. 1 week vacation but don't really ever use them because if we got something to do, the boss will let us do it on company time 90% of the time if you're on his good side. Overtime anytime I want. Sometimes I call up my boss asking to work overtime on Saturdays and we will just both meet up at the shop, wash trucks, talk shit, go to lunch, run errands for parts and stuff, etc.

When I first started here about 2 years ago, I thought I wouldn't stay. Figured the job would be a seasonal thing with lay offs. But within about 3 weeks I already felt like I was part of the family.

You can't find this in white collar.

Because people want experience and there's nobody willing to train. Even if you pay $15K for a 2 year trade school, good luck finding something that pays more than $12-15/hour until you get 4-6+ years experience under your belt. Also Unions are basically clubs. Unless you know somebody or have family in it, good luck.

Meh, if you dont mind working and getting dirty trades beats straight labor all day.

I run equipment and dick off for 50k

I lile it i guess

Sorry for the wait, I'm on call tonight and I've had a few emergencies already. I literally drove to Home Depot and asked if they knew of any companies that were hiring for apprentices. Second company had me take drug test and I was hired on the spot.

Texas is kinda different when it comes to plumbing. You can either go through union for 4-5 years and do school plus on the job work, then go to Austin to take your licensing exam or you can go through a private company. After 4000 hours, you can take a Tradesman license test and it's like being a watered down journeyman. It allows you to work on only residential homes with some limitations.

Check with your state's licensing department for trades and see what their rules are on it. I wouldn't spend money on trade school unless it was through PHCC, but even then I wouldn't trust I could land a job with it after graduation. I would say best chance for apprentice position is to drive to supply house for the trade you're interested in and ask if anyone is hiring for new help. There are usually a few flyers or so at the Fergusons plumbing supply our company uses.

>What makes those jobs so shitty?
Long hours relatively shit pay physically demanding

People find themselves in comfortable positions like that with white collar work (and probably more often too) all the fucking time and you know it. Had circumstances been slightly less favorable for you, you'd be singing a different tune entirely.

You get paid more and have better benefits than I do, and I work @ Oracle (Pajeet central)

Trades are not for everyone. I am an electrician, and while not a perfect career I find it a good compromise. It is a decent wage and there is room to advance if you apply yourself. It requires some intelligence and scientific knowledge as well as the ability to read and interpret code. A big appeal to me is the freedom it offers. I can travel to any decent sized town in my state and find a job. I didn't have to go to school for four years or more. Getting hired is usually fast and easy; If you have some experience you get hired on the spot. Less bureaucracy and HR shit than you find in a white collar setting. I would find sitting at a desk all day dealing with office politics boring and unpleasant. The downside is it takes a toll on your body, you can work with stupid and uneducated people, and the pay is not as good as if I had finished university. For me it was the best option because all the college majors I had interest in had poor employment prospects.

>The downside is it takes a toll on your body
as an electrician? I thought that would be a trade that is a bit more forgiving as long as you dont get zapped.

You are correct; it is probably one of the least physically demanding trades, but it can still wear on you. If you are doing new construction like me, it is more demanding. Lots of bending and wrist movements. Also wearing tool bags which can be bad for your back. Still much better than carpentry, flooring, or concrete work/masonry which are all less desirable trades.

Went to trade school for 2 years and graduated in 2015, still haven't found a job in my trade

Very few companies willing to hire apprentices they all want journeymen with 5+ years experience, most apprenticeships are given to family and friends I presume

Should've went to university desu

Electrical? What state are you in?

Electrical and instrumentation & controls

Alberta, Canada

>1 week vacation

Just lmao

Exactly. And with lower wages comes products that can only be sold to the lower waged masses. Typically they are low margin (or low absolute margin) high volume sales items. This creates barriers for entry for competition because one must own alot of capital, be it people or automated devices in order to effectively compete. The average joe wouldn't be able to pump out a volume worth his effort.

We're all fucked.

You can absolutely find this in white collar. Your job isn't very much blue collar. It's a cushy government job where you drive a big vehicle. Good on you though. Fuck the system. If they want to pay you to wash tires, I say go for it.

Maybe after decades of experience you can be some general/office manager dicking around all day like my Grandpa does, but you won't find many white collar opportunities under 40 where fat HR ladies don't control the place.

and exactly what position are you in to be making this retarded and false claim

Tradesmen seem to earn a lot more here in Australia

My tradesman(HVAC)earns $40/hour ($30 USD), but when he works for himself it's easily $80aud+/hour. Company job is comfy tho so he's just lazy

Real estate expense and taxes are way too high here tho

trades are never a meme

>always needed
>economy goes up, so does salary
>economy goes down, gubment prioritises putting tradesmen back to work

you cant lose

this, being tradesmen in aus is comfy af and if you can get up onto the mines(basically pass a drug test and speak a well formed english sentence with a well written resume) you can easily earn 100k+ as a boilermaker or electrician
I did an electrical apprenticesip and even though it was shitty making $400 a week for 4 years its good to know that i have essentially a guaranteed job for the rest of my life with a decent base rate

>join air force
>learn HVAC for free in 6 months
>on the job training, if you fuck up you are safe cause uncle sam just buys you more equipment, learn by mistakes
>free school, journeyman within a year, easy certifications and liscences which are free
>job security, 4+ years of experience

Dunno if i wanna get out m8s, saved 20k this year and i live in europe so its awesome. Ill at least have experience id i do get out.

>I became successful because of my rich, degenerate society's modern fascination with the "gross out factor" and am ungrateful about it making me a millionaire. Now I'm going to parrot republican propaganda about how working hard makes you rich.
>Mike Rowe "Dirty Jobs"

Well at least something positive is happening in this age of hellfire.