/CCG/ - Classic Car General

/CCG/ - Classic Car General

The hunt for proper exhaust edition.

Generic copy/pasta incoming:

>Cars are considered classic at 25 years old, but a vehicle really needs that certain something, to be classic.

>Everybody has their own taste, enter if it's of age or rarity.

>Post your classic, your work on it, your hackery, and get advice.

>Any and all discussion about classics welcome, but may not necessarily generate responses, don't get butthurt.

>Any and all classics welcome regardless of nationality.

>Performance > Cosmetics

>Classic shitbox > modern shitbox.

>It's perfectly fine to use RTV. Ignore the haters.

>If you see rust there is probably more

>You will inevitably spend twice your budget, no exceptions unless you mint your own hash coins.

Should I put an aftermarket suspension on this, or is the IROC stuff good enough?

Every general is a subtle roast now
They should be fine, not too amazing but you bought a third gen so your standards should already be set low.

Can anyone advise me on the process of touching up chipped paint or spots where it’s missing please? The previous owner left it with quite a bit of chipped paint and I’d like to give it a little paint when I can get it in a barn.

A friend of mine paints his series by hand with a brush and suggested this to me so I was thinking a VERY light sanding in the general area that surrounds the chipped paint, then paint over that?

I’ve never painted a car, only barns and stables. I know it’s normal to get it sprayed but desu... it’s a fucking Land Rover.

I have removed the fake rubber tread-plates from the back with the intention of painting the bed the same colour as the body and giving the benches another coating before filling it with blankets and cushions to stop people getting frozen bruised arses.

Just wait till you can redo the entire thing. A few chips (unless its rusting) isnt a concern on an offroader. Or just rhino line the thing in the same green.

From my experience, dont skimp on the paint or prep work. Spend the extra money for auto paint, even if its still a rattle can. Sand and prime. Go rent an air compressor and buy a paint gun.

Y-you too.

Question for classic muscle and tuner guys

Have you ever been challenged to a red light drag?
If yes, what kind of car were you up against? Did your opponent think theyd get an easy win because old vs new? Who won?
If not, what would you do in a situation where you were challenged?

Im curious as to how common it is to be challenged. And because i have nothing else to shitpost about and wanna hear if anyone has any stories

Some guy in a non-SS camaro challenged me to a race in my 71 Torino. Got up to 75 and hit a pothole, screwed up the front suspension pretty bad. At least I was winning. Country roads are empty and all, but generally aren't great for racing.

If you just want to seal up the metal so it wont rust get touch up paint from your local paint shop. They color match it and give you a little bottle and brush.. If your car has no rust and you plan on keeping it for a long time then go to a paint shop and get it redone.
Muscle vs tuner is a f&f meme, the only races ive ever done were with my buddies in their classics and they all smoked me because my engine hasnt been rebuilt since the early 80's.

*street races
Im even more pathetic at the dragstrip

Add sum quadrajet and "nawss"

Closest I had to a race was me in my '79 Lincoln; guy next to me is a kid in a late '90s Buick. He's playing some garbage rap at full volume next to me at the stoplight. The light leads to the freeway on ramp and goes down to one lane. I floor it to get away and so does he. My car is only SLIGHTLY faster; he has to brake and get behind me to get on the highway. He blows past me on the freeway after the on ramp.

Now, if you want the story of the time I successfully ran from the cops; that's a good one.

Okay cool thanks. Previous owner included the paint for it so there’s no worries about that. There’s a few little surface rust bits I wanted to paint that’s all. The chips too but you’re right, makes more sense to have it sprayed

Driving down I10 in my 74 camaro, a couple of bros in a mustang pulled up and revved bombed me. I did it back, and we both just punched it. I dropped it to 3rd, hit the gas, and just smoked tires. I lost due to no traction, but i still consider burning out at 75mph a win.

>I successfully ran from the cops
In the Lincoln i hope?

Nope; DeLorean.

It was at one of the bi-annual DeLorean conventions.

I want to hear this story

Ok. At the time, I had a mildly hopped-up DeLorean. A friend and I wanted to see how the mods compared to stock, so we were on a deserted back road and both took off. I pulled ahead early on, but he began to make progress around 90. As we're screaming along, we blow past a cop; lights come on and my friend dips down a side road. The cop stays on me and I know I've got one chance. I'm about a quarter of a mile from the hotel, so I keep her going as fast as I can. I go flying into the lot at around 70, pull into a space, shut my car off, and dive out into the bushes. No more than 9 seconds later, the cop comes screaming into the parking lot. He does a lap, shuts his lights off, and leaves.

There were roughly 100 DeLoreans in attendance; all virtually identical.

Ima need to see some specs on that engine that's capable of burnouts at 75 mph

In my 79 Camaro with a 200lbs passenger riding shotgun against a v6 Toyota highlander lol
>at buddies wedding with my best friend M
>decide to drive my camaro back home and then get dropped back at the wedding by M's sister so I don't drink and drive
>cruising home go under tunnel my true dual exhaust sounds beast as I pullup to the red light.
>two girls already stopped in the other lane in a v6 highlander look over
>they rev bomb I rev bomb
>lights green and it's straight for like 1/8 mile then a 90 degree left onto a one way
>punch it and dust them off the light and power slide the turn, get straight on the one way and gas it leave them way back
>go like a mile and then pull up to my turn off, starsky and hutch the 90 degree right
>see the highlander try to turn, miss, counterswerve left then keep going
>park turn off lights and sit in hood waiting for M's sister
>highlander comes by with the two girls slows down and lowers window
>girls take one look at me and M's ugly mugs even In nice clothes from the wedding make an "ughhhhh" face and pull off without saying a word
>kek at least I beat you bitch

Sbc, bored, cam, headers, every go fast part you can think of a redneck could put on, 4spd, 3/4 suburban rear end and suspension, half the body was fiberglass. I basically bought a local drag strip hero that drank oil and gas at alarming rates, but ran high 9s. It was a super fun car that i kinda regret selling, but it just wasnt really meant for the street. Spec sheet that came with the car claimed over 400 at the wheels.

As much as i wish it laid rubber for a mile doing it, all i did was lose traction and make smoke for a few seconds before i put back into 4th and let off the gas. Honestly, with the way thar car was, it couldve just sprayed oil on the exhaust and tires.

Another one same car against some dumb "car girl"
>pulling up to light where a lowered white civic is already stopped in the other lane
>stupid car girl decals on back plus jdm tyte honda racing banner decal across top of back glass, powered by v-tec decal on side
>glance over and it's decent looking Latina
>revs her lawnmower, props to her though she was driving a stick shift and i thought i could hear some blowoff valve but not quite sure
>don't rev back but give her a nod
>drop my th350 down to 1st then push the shift knob right to the ratcheting his/hers shifter mode, left foot on brake and start revving the engine a little while keeping am eye on cross streets yellow light waiting for it to turn red so mine is green
>flash rpm when cross street light turns res, split second letter my light is green
>launch like a motherfucker
>pull hard on v-tec girl, shift, gas it, shift again she's way back there
>pull up at next red and she comes driving up too. Gives me a thumbs up.
>give her a wave and continue driving like a normal person again

>girls visibly disgusted when they see you
I know that feel

I'd like to think it was mostly my buddy M since I had a few hot girlfriends and married my qt 3.14 but I don't know. They were young too though so It could also be they were expecting some young rebellious teens not 2 fuckin beaners in there late 20s. I was on leave at the time too so had a bushy unkept beard and haircut

It was a joke, you dont have to confirm your masculine looks to me.
I'm the peak of average so if you have slightly better than average looks you have me beat.

My ol Jeep CJ 5... (used to run but it stalls out) put it in gear when its off and it still rolls... what’s that mean?

At least you don't have resting bitch face and an off-putting dry/serious personality. Seriously think that's what held me back most of the time. I did manage to score several hot girlfriends in my teens/early 20s though (and my qt 3.14 fiance), but they all thought/think my dry personality was/is funny.

Oh well fuck those other vapid whores.

Either your driveshaft or transmission is shattered or you have zero compression in your engine.

Driveshaft intact, tranny was fine too I think. Something was up with the carb to where it’d stall out as soon as I let the clutch go.

Without derailing the thread and blogging too much, I was always fucked by the opposite. I'm 6'3 always been big muscular and athletic played football in school and a little semi pro, also talkative and flirty with girls. My wife told me that every girl in her circle and most other girls in the school thought I was a fucking womanizing playboy and wouldn't date me and told girls not to because i for sure would cheat or pump n dump

Little did they know I was a devout hardcore Catholic kissless virgin kek at least until after HS

Another story
>go with friend to checkout a truck I wanna buy. Go right after work so in separate cars
>2 lane black top country road he's in his turbo 07 sti wagon with a few mods I'm in the camaro because it was my DD back then
>at a light he's like "race to the McDonald's billboard?"
>sure
>do same launch procedure as above
>spin tires for a sec because gravely road but then catch traction pull hard and beat him
>pleasantly surprised because i always thought his car was really fast when I rode in it

I feel ya user. I came into highschool with the reputation of being a player
>just had my 1st kiss in 8th.
Then in highschool, i was known as a womanizing ass hat.
>almost every girl i dated had cheated on me cause i went for daddy issues.

Are you me? My somber disposition is why I was an undertaker, my humor is as dry and black as coal dust. I do manage the occasional decent girlfriend; I have a few prospects now, but, it's a matter of circumstance.

Sound like a cringey bitch

Off my board Chad
Reeeeeee

It seems I have developed a case of lifter tick.
I see a lot of people saying that if you replace flat lifters without replacing the camshaft it will destroy the engine.
How true is this?

What cam u got and what lifters are you putting in?

Just the stock cam and flat hydraulic lifters for a ford 300 i6.

I honestly feel like we are a lot alike. Mortician was a field that had crossed my mind before. I couldn't do it though because the act of dealing with flesh viscerally repulses me. I don't mind being in the company of dead, but even getting my own blood taken makes me queezy.

This isn't r9k

>classic truck related
Sadly it was flattened several years ago.

Camshaft gets replaced with flat lifters. Because they aren't roller lifters, the camshaft lobes wear more than with roller lifters, so if you replace just the lifters you'll probably still have an issue.

There's other reasons too, but that's the simplest way I can put it.

How expensive is it to get a cam installed?

An afternoon

Dont you normally have to pull an engine to do it?

Like i said

Cams are one of the easiest thing to replace.
Just remember to put a shitton of camshaft lube on it the lifters.

No. But if you're short on space between the engine and the radiator, it may have to come out to get the cam out. You can do it yourself. Plan on doing a tear down and finding more bad stuff that needs replaced though.

Sounds like too big of a job to be done in the walmart parking lot.
Mabey they are just clogged with sludge or something.
Whats the best engine flush oil additive or whatever?

Drain oil. Fill with new oil, 2 quarts less than capacity. Add 2 quarts of mercon V atf (any atf works but mercon v is particularly boisterous with detergents). Drive around for 20 minutes or so, or just let it idle and rev it up intermittently. Add a pint of berrymans b12. Idle for 10 minutes. Drain. Change filter. Add new oil. If engine is severely sludged, repeat until clean.

Just to clarify, I mean that the radiator may have to come out.

Also, post your tool carts.

>the day has ended
>all things in their place
>now it's time for my old ritual, to let the kratom sink in and rock my aching bones to sleep

How are you getting kratom nowadays?

mmmspeciosa.com
They're a pure reputable vendor. I use zellepay through the wellsfargo mobile app to pay for my orders. Probably going to make a huge purchase soon. Never know when they'll try to go after it again.

I think the powers that be are trying to make it difficult for kratom vendors by shutting down credit card processing for them. Hence, why I have to use zellepay.

Until I have surgery, kratom has been a miracle for me. Tried prescription opiates from doctors, I ended with horrible withdrawals from both. I don't have any side effects from kratom, aside from constipation.

I took care of my hood. Turns out stripping paint and primer fucking sucks. The plastidip isn't done yet. I ran out after the first real coat, and had to run out and buy 2 more. Then the temperature plummeted and I couldn't spray in weather that cold. I'm pleased the rust is gone and the dings are filled in.

W-why did you use plastic dip!?

Because I plan on doing a full repaint later on. I wanted to protect the primer, but I'm not set up to shoot paint well enough right now. I can peel off the plastidip, and be back to primer and ready to spray whenever I want, and it looks way better in the interim.

I’ve taken it a handful of times as a general booster after using harder drugs; also just to feel better generally.
I like it but no matter what if I take over a certain dosage I just immediately vomit. But the vomiting doesn’t feel bad, really strange stuff.

that was dumb. just use paint.

This is the cart i have

1971 Mach 1. Pretty fun ride.

Came with all the stuff you see neatly laid out in front for 1400 dollars tax free and free shipping and warranties on everything (AutoZone stocks them). OEM tools, part of greatneck. Got bonus box full of air tools too

My crescent set is the same model as this one, pretty nice for on the go shit. I got the compressor from harbor freight and the stubby wrench set from them too. Not pictured (in the last thread they were) I have a metric and SAE set of ratcheting wrenches as well as metric and SAE flex head ratchet wrenches, metric and SAE line fitting wrenches, a complete set of 1/2 and 3/8 drive impact sockets and deep sockets as well as impact extensions and swivels all from HF plus 3 ton Daytona jack and 4 of whatever HF heaviest duty jack stands are and 800lb tranny jack. Then a ammo can full of shit like zip ties wire, crimp connectors, c clamp, pitman arm puller, window crank puller and shitlike that

I basically have the poorfags auto hobbyist suite all in my off brand cuckshed reinforced by plywood

Dealing with the dead is easy; granted, I have a ridiculous tolerance for grisly sights. It was harder to empathize with people when I had no emotional connection to the deceased. It also gave me a very useless set of skills.

On that note, any woman who can't do her makeup in 5 minutes doesn't know what she's doing. I've made so many women look good in that timeframe that it's staggering.

Holy fuck that's hilarious

I dunno, I'm kinda with him on the plasti dip. Hope you coated it thick enough though. If not, you'll have to sand blast it off.

I've never taken more than 3 teaspoons at once. That's a lot to me, but not to some people. My opiate tolerance is quite low.

What brand cart is that?

Looks good. Hang onto it, they're only going up in value.

Harbor freighting it up?

There's something unsettling yet intriguing about all of that. How many young people (30s and below) have you had come across your table?

The cart is also OEM Tools by greatneck it was all one packaged deal and I ended up getting way more than I thought on it and yea all my other shit is mostly HF LOL so far it's been good to me

>they’re only going up in value
But muscle and pony car values have stagnated. Boomers are starting to leav the hobby and are dumping their cars. There’s going to be crash soon

Not a classic but when I had '01 gt mustang everyone wanted to race. It was bright yellow and strait piped, I loved that car. Everyone loved that car. I had people give me thumbs up and little kids yell "nice car" on an almost daily basis.
It looked faster than it was though, I could only beat 4cyl cars and minivans. I beat a 350z on the highway once on a 50-120 run, that was my best kill. Also those v8 grand prix gxp's are pretty fast, raced some middle aged dude and his wife, I couldn't get away from him.

Somebody sideswiped that car when it was parked and totaled it, rip.

Gonna make the old turd faster than the mustang was.

Finished the flat black look, got some new wheels, and stickers. Howd i do senpai?

Im fucking kidding. This is a 72 with a 318 for sale near me for 10k. I could always do worse.

Quite a few; but, most of them were suicides. There were three people who killed themselves when Trump won that were around that age.

If you're a parent, children and babies can be challenging to deal with.

How do you sell a classic car you love

What engines going in the bird

You don't

If you have to due to real life

how come?

Moving a very long way and can't really take it

Depends on the type of car and how much you want for it.

Not going to contest that, I'm not an expert in classic values. But I would hazard a guess that in 20 years they could have some good value, once the era of "good 'ol' cars is well and truly dead.

Geeze. I love triggering liberals but that's actually kind of sad. No president is worth suicide. How long ago did you get out of that business?

Take really good pictures of it. Put it on Craigslist for a few thousand more than your bottom dollar. Haggle. Settle for bottom dollar eventually. Cry yourself to sleep for a few nights.

Holy shit why would kids kill themselves over government. At least die in a revolution or something, make it mean something.
You make sure you sell it to someone you know or something who is never going to hurt it,like a collector.

got both the heads and the oil pan off. it's surprisingly clean inside, especially the cylinder walls. seems to be standard bore size so that's good. just need to take the crank and pistons out and get it to a machine shop to be bored 30 over. then it's time for a 461 stroker kit

I'm having a hard time getting the big ass crank bolt out of my 400. should i just impact it off or is there something i'm missing?

I "retired" in April. Now I do intermittent tech work.

The main bolt should be on 90-100 foot pounds, you just need a breaker bar to twist it off, nothing special.
Don't use an impact wrench.

Tried a breaker bar and an impact wrench yesterday and the didn't do anything. I think the bolt's in there real tight cause when I was trying to get the engine to turn over I really cranked down on that bolt

Just keep at it with the bar and some lube.
Just make sure to keep all your bolts and parts in a box for later.

Why no impact on crank pulley bolt?

Is the engine in the car?

Not in the car yet I'm getting it ready for a swap. It's on an engine stand atm

Britfag reporting in. Feeling self conscious in front of all these excellent muscle cars and trucks lol.

I have a 26 year old Miata, I know that's polarizing but I love it and I put work into it.

Got it for 700 quid cause it has a dent in the wing that I don't give a shit about, the brakes were wearing unevenly and the exhaust was hanging off. I had a month till my insurance ran out on my other one so I set about tarting it up.

First worry was when I went to put new stiffer engine mounts in it, I found the old ones weren't actually bolted in. Sorted that out, put solid diff mounts in it, rebuilt all 4 calipers with new pistons, took the full stainless exhaust off the green mk2 and put it on, and generally replaced every gasket I could get to without having the engine out. Also sliced a bit out of foam out of the seats to make them hug me a bit more.

My mum was going on at me to get that dent fixed, but I couldn't care less cause it drives spot on.

Ah right, I once had a crank pulley bolt stuck on me, got a breaker bar big enough to hit the ground while on the nut, determined which way the engine rotated, rested the breaker bar on the ground in the appropriate direction and gave the starter a chirp, loosened it right up!

And for any naysayers, I drove that car for another 30,000 with essentially no further problems.

It's a 2bbl low compression engine. I'm either going to turn it into a 350 HO or find a bigger engine.

Is that sum Pontiac?

that'll get it off haha

Yep a pontiac 400. Plan is to turn it into a 461 stroker. It's going in an 84 firebird

Goddamnit I love American muscle and V8s so much but I live in the UK and it's all expensive as shit.

One of my daydreams about winning the lottery includes flying to America and buying up a whole bunch of junkyard shit and getting it shipped over.

>buying up a whole bunch of junkyard shit and getting it shipped over.
Just buy restored or semi decent examples and a bunch of spare parts, why ship a bunch of scrape metal? If you want a project just find running examples, a lot less headache, especially trying to find rare parts and trims after you're back in the UK.

Too much force could crack the bolt.
Just stroke and bore it mate
Engine looks to be out if a 1971 but it could be out of a 72 or 3 colors hard to tell.
Junkyards are mostly dead euro friend.

Miatas are gay

I'm sure you could get your hands on something. Might be able to import something from the US idk

I just figure I won't have a job anymore and will have a lot of spare time on my hands, I can already fabricate so I'll have all the time in the world to make stuff run.

Buying restored would be no fun at all!

And yeah I meant tons of spare parts too, cause boy do I know finding them over here ain't easy

Can’t say that’s true at all. These cars still go for insane prices at auctions

Have a friend put it up for a bit then come back and get it

does anyone know what this classic car(from monogatar) is?

This is the future, guys. One single proprietary turbo, formed to fit. One single exhaust port on the block. No exhaust manifold. No possibility of modification or upgrade. What you buy is what you get.

The old ways are going away and the future is bleak.

Fuck the future. I've still got my classics and that's all that matters

I feel for you; British cars are the DEVIL. The most frustrating vehicle I've ever dealt with has been my Rolls Royce.

The British thought process must be like this:
>"We have an adequate displacement V8, how can we ruin it?"
"Let's put a pair of sidedraft carbs on it and adapt them to a downdraft intake."
>"That's great, but not nearly all we can do. Why not make the exhaust wrap around the front so that it's in the way of EVERYTHING?"
"Even better! I know! Let's bolt it to a GM transmission and use a GM A.C. unit so that most of the parts are metric, but a handful of them are imperial."
>"Oh! I've got a brilliant idea! Let's make the transmission shift electronically so that, without the battery connected and the ignition on, you can't shift it out of park; making it impossible to tow it if there's a lost key, short, or dead battery. Just because we CAN!"
"Now we're getting somewhere! Once we overcomplicate the brakes and suspension, we'll be in good shape."