Will flip up lights ever comeback? Red pill me on why they are never on new cars

Will flip up lights ever comeback? Red pill me on why they are never on new cars

Other urls found in this thread:

cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/pedestrian_safety/index.html
crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/812375
m.youtube.com/watch?v=YYa969r_csw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Muh pedestrian safety

lol grandpa pop up headlights are so lame. how could you even go outside with something so out of date? greasy fuckin caveman

>Red pill
>>>/reddit/

They're effectively banned by pedestrian safety regulations that seek to make the front ends of cars into fun pillows because shitty drivers can't stop running people over.

blame eurofags

Is it possible to repeal a Pedestrian Safety Regulation? I'm not saying i'd try to do it but if its repealable im sure a(n) Veeky Forums extremist would

safety regulations have reduced cars to basically a uniform shape in varying sizes.
An Elantra is just a large Accent
A Tucson is just a large Elantra
A Santa Fe is just a large Tucson.

Does the shape really matter? If you get hit by a car going 80 you're gonna die either way

Most people don't get hit at 80mph; they get hit between 20-40mph on city/town roads.

At 30mph, the chance you die goes up by something like 5-10% per mph.

Engineering cars to skew that towards pedestrian survival is the important part in the eyes of legislators.

When do pedestrians even get hit by cars? All I can think of are drunk drivers, mustangs, and mohammed

They're not necessary now that sealed-beam headlights aren't the norm and designers are free to shape lights mostly however they want.

>drunk drivers
Especially in the US, this is most of it.

cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/pedestrian_safety/index.html

>Additionally, almost 129,000 pedestrians were treated in emergency departments for non-fatal crash-related injuries in 2015.2 Pedestrians are 1.5 times more likely than passenger vehicle occupants to be killed in a car crash on each trip.3

>Almost half (48%) of crashes that resulted in pedestrian deaths involved alcohol for the driver or the pedestrian.

You must not be thinking too hard. I’ve been hit by a car twice, both times involved people coming up to a stop sign too fast and trying to roll it without looking both ways. The first time my shoes came off my feet, was pretty disorienting

Numbers game my friend.

Even if 99.99999% of collisions are successfully avoided that's still thousands of emergency room visits per day, and hundreds of deaths.

Further reading:
crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/812375

>shitty drivers who run people over
>not idiots on their iPhones with earphones on oblivious to their surroundings and glued to their douche device

ftfy

They're dumb, why bother going through all the cost and effort of making pop up headlights when all they do is ruin the aerodynamics and inevitably break? They don't do anything that fixed lamps can't do with proper engineering.

Interesting facts:
The place where you are most likely to die on the road:
Detroit

The state:
Delaware

The place where you are least likely to die by being hit by a car is Idaho.

Almost one-fifth (19%) of the pedestrians killed in 2015 were struck in single or multi-vehicle crashes that involved hit-and-run drivers.

The overall male pedestrian injury rate per 100,000 population was 25, compared with 19 for females.

No company wants to waste money on something so objectively shit. Nothing good about them and like it's been said there's no reason to use them anymore.
Personally I think they look like complete shit and ruin the lines of the car too.

>not just saying LA

touche

Sharing this opinion. Pop-ups are outdated gimmicks that have no significant affect on aerodynamics and are just one more electrical thing to go wrong on your car.

>(YOU)

actually

That's what he said, you fucking dipshit.

ITT

>"I DON'T LIKE WHAT YOU LIKE"

Popups are fucking cool. I own three cars and each one has popups. Everyone thinks they're cool. If you don't, you're boring.

looks dope

You just have shit taste and probably surround yourself with equally shit taste. People like you are why popups are so cringey now on top of being shit in every way possible.

With daytime running lights pretty much standard nowadays, flip-ups make no sense at all.

wut cars do you have?
>With daytime running lights pretty much standard nowadays, flip-ups make no sense at all.
wuts the purpose of DRL?

FD, SA22C, and Celica

I fucking hate them.
>single wire goes out
>have to cut open the twist ties alone the run
>run new conductor all the way to the motor
>it breaks again
FUCK POP UP HEADLIGHTS
I just left it broken until I sold the car.

American popups suck. Japanese ones never fail.

Tell that to my s13.
Wiring goes out senpai. The motor was fine but the wires controlling the unit routinely failed.

Meanwhile I see 240s with failed popups more common than anything else. They're garbage.

Mostly shitty owners trying to do the sleepy eye mod

Doubt it, especially since they're usually stuck fully raised after flashing the lights or something.
Oh well, easy fix to get rid of that shit.

Popups trap pedestrians on the hood, who then tend to slide off the front and get run over. Modern car front fascias are designed to lift and shed pedestrians over the side so they don't get run over.

I've got GM pop ups and the right eye is lazy, if I don't use them for a week or so the left will come up and the right will linger for maybe 10 seconds before coming up.
Once they've been used it'll com up just a short time after the left.

>When do pedestrians even get hit by cars?
Ho, ho, you must drive in some paradise. In the downtown city, a lot of cars turning right cut corners close and even run up over the sloped curve. The cars never damage their rims because the curb is sloped to allow wheelchairs to cross. So drivers cut it close. If you are standing on the edge of the sidewalk (fully legal) you can have your feet run over and of course your torso will be hit by the side mirror. If it is a service truck with wide mirrors, you can get your head taken off.

To discourage corner cutting, my city installed at a few intersections one foot tall rounded projections at just a few locations in the entire downtown. I guess it is an experiment they are collecting data on.

Retards like cross the street without looking and get impaled by the headlights and eurofags say "no no no we can't have people die to their own retardation"

This

I used to really like pop ups but the forced car throttle and jalopnik EPIC POP UP MEMES xD ruined them for me.

Are pop-outs equally as dangerous?

m.youtube.com/watch?v=YYa969r_csw

>pop-outs
>nothing pops out

no
never

first off they have no actual advantage other than coolness, nowadays coolness is all about fake vents.

they cost more to make, manufacturures want to save every possible penny they can.

they are unearodynamic i expect have quite an effect on milage on the motorway.

they make wind noise

getting run over by a car with popups would hurt more.

sadly theres 0 advantages and 100 disadvantages.

the closest we might ever get is folding headlight covers like 70s american cars had but they would probably be a feature for luxery cars only

rest in peices popups :'(

Hey guys look at me I'm so contrarian! and that makes me really really cool!

When I took my license I was taught that at 55 km/h there's around a 90% chance you will be dead
> Ruining car aesthetics for this

JUST

Hey guys I'm too dumb to materialize my own taste so I have to latch on shitty memes. VALIDATE MY TASTE AND PRAISE ME FOR CONFORMING!