Anyone here use AAA?

Anyone here use AAA?

Will they really haul your shit around no questions asked as long as you're a member for 75 bucks a year? Supposedly you get 4 tows of up to 100 miles for 75 bucks...

>I.e. can I use a AAA membership to move around parts/project cars as long as they're legal? I'm assuming like any good tow truck driver, they won't give a SHIT?

Pic not related

No, they're not a "no questions asked" free tow service for your project car. When you call for roadside assistance they ask where you are and what you were doing, etc. because you're talking to someone in a dispatch call center, not the tow truck company directly.

they'll say the vehicle has to be in your name but i got my mom's truck towed with no trouble. the tow truck drivers are usually locals anyways

The vehicle doesn't have to be in your name. AAA covers the person, not the car. You don't even have to be driving, if one of your passengers has AAA they'll offer roadside assistance.
This is all laid out on their website when you sign up.

You might be able to get away with it once or twice, but after that they'll start asking questions.
AAA is awesome for roadside help and travel discounts but it's not a secret lifehack for cheap car shipping.

Yeah, ive read this and my question is basically if i tell the dispatcher:

>I'm at my buddies house and my car won't start/go into gear, we want to tow it home so we can troubleshoot why

They would then send a towtruck to move my car that won't start, and he would probably realize what was going on, but the easiest thing would just be to tow the damn car and collect his peanut from AAA, no?

From my perspective, this fits within the services they provide if the car is road legal...

honestly just say you need a vehicle towed and the condition

You really don't understand the system, do you?
When you call AAA for a tow you talk to someone in a call center, not the tow company directly, and they ask you where you and what you need. Then they call a local tow company and send them out for you.
It's not the tow truck driver that will call you out on it, it's AAA that will. Even if they send a different tow company every time, you're still booking it through AAA. They track all of your service calls and mileage and if you keep calling to have the same car moved "from your buddy's house" they'll start asking questions and if they don't like the answers they'll cancel your membership.
Again, it's not about the tow company asking questions, it's about AAA asking questions.

>From my perspective, this fits within the services they provide if the car is road legal...
But what does it actually say in the AAA terms and conditions? It's not about your perspective, it's about what you agree to when you sign up for a membership.

You wrote a lot based on an assumption... I'm not sure you really get the scenario I'm going for.

It says they'll tow you 4 times a year, up to 100 miles no charge if your vehicle won't start or needs off-site repair. You can dictate where. If it's not a AAA shop, you need to be present when it's dropped off. This is attached to a driver, not a specific vehicle. The vehicle doesn't even have to be yours (if your with your buddy and he runs out of gas they'll bring it to you if you have AAA)

I'm looking for folks who have experience with AAA. It occurs to me not everyone is an Veeky Forumstist with an entire fleet, so from your perspective it may be easy for them to spot a car you are having them move without being driven. Picture owning eight to ten vehicles, most on the road and a third for sale at all times, some of them maybe needing to be moved to where I have a lift. I have a truck and trailer, but if AAA will do it, honestly I'd pay the 75 for 4 tows anytime during a year, with the bonus of roadside assistance if I'm limping around something stupid, which I have been known to do. It seems to me AAA might be incredibly worth it.

To make this easier, assume each vehicle moved during the year is different, one they have no records of dealing with.

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck etc...
If it looks like an on the road car, is licensed like one, anyone have experience with AAA NOT wanting to move it for them? On paper according to their rules, they should have no problem with it.

I'm looking for experience to confirm this, or experience to the contrary.

Better yet, ignore the previous long ass post.

Anyone with AAA ever get shit from a driver about moving a vehicle?
Why?

I get the scenario, you have non-running project car(s) and you want to use AAA emergency roadside assistance to move them around by pretending that you've had a break down.
All I'm saying is that AAA will get wise and cancel your membership if you do it more than once or twice.

Again, it's not about getting shit from the driver it's about getting shit from AAA, the ones that send you the driver.
If you have a fleet of cars and your own truck and trailer just move the cars yourself.

And how might they do that? Only way is if the tow truck driver decides to do some sleuthing on his own and try and rat you out, which they wouldn't, because to truck drivers don't give a shit.

Let's have you pipe down and folks with AAA respond, or not.

I have been a AAA membership since I was 18. I am now almost 40, my input is perfectly valid in this conversation.
>How will they know?
Because AAA tracks all your service calls and mileage, I've already explained that to you. Every time you call them it gets logged into your profile. When you called, where called from, where the car was picked up, where it was dropped off, what the make/model/license was. All that information is collected and stored under your membership number.
The tow truck driver is a non-factor in this, he doesn't matter.
Now, the reason AAA can sell towing insurance so cheap is that most people will only use it a few times in their life. If a member shows up with numerous service calls and maxed out towing miles, that's going to raise a red flag in their system because all those calls cost them money. There is someone at every insurance company whose job it is to look into these things, and it's not the tow truck driver.
So if you're calling AAA all the time to move your project cars around, someone is going to think "Gee, either this user sure is unlucky or he's using us a car transport service. I'd better call him up and ask him some questions."
Again, in clear terms, AAA is not a transport services they are an insurance company. If you make a lot of claims with an insurance company, they start looking into them.

I go to auto auctions and have AAA tow whatever car I buy with no issues.

Go away.
You've made what little if a point you had that that's not what AAA wants you to do. you aren't nearly forty and you are naysaying for the point of naysaying at this point.

If you are nearly forty, and this is what you do, that's sad.

You asked for advice and I gave it you, don't act like a pissy little bitch because it wasn't what you wanted hear, Jamal.

No they won't spend 4 hours driving your stancebox up onto ramps just to squeeze a lo-pro jack underneath. They're going to tell you to fuck your hat. That happened to some user and his ricer a while back.

Bad CAA experiences (Canadian AAA)

1st - Slid my car into a curb, broke a rear knuckle and i had to get a tow. Tow truck driver that showed up asked for 100 bucks "not to report a single vehicle accident" and for the fact that he had to use the tow bar for the rear wheels (RWD)

2nd - Fell off my bike, right foot rest broke and right side handle bar was loose as fuck. Called for a flat-bed. 2 hours went by and by that time it was dark, no call or message from them. I had an M1 license at the time and you arent supposted to ride at night. Called local non-emergency police number and asked if i could limp the bike home (less than 3km away), he said sure and gave me his badge number incase i get stopped. Buddy drove behind me with his 4 ways on. I called them 2.5 hours after my first call to cancel, and they were like "oh ok, thanks for calling" or something to that effect.

3rd - Bike battery died in the middle of nowhere. Called for a flat bed tow and the same thing ended up happening. 2+ hours and no word from them. Buddy ended up riding home and taking a battery out of a bike and bringing it back to me so i could ride out of there. (We tried jumping it and running it without the battery, neither of them worked)

>Tow truck driver that showed up asked for 100 bucks "not to report a single vehicle accident" and for the fact that he had to use the tow bar for the rear wheels (RWD)

I guarantee you're from Ontario. I really hope you told him to go fuck his turban.

Good CAA experiences.

- Buddy's hood latch failed and his hood opened at 100km/h, shit was not cash. Called for a tow and was only like a 10-20 minute wait
- Same buddy locked his door manually (honda) but the car was running in my driveway and he only had 1 set of keys. Showed up pretty fast with a slim-jim or similar to open the door.
- Engine blew on my mazda 6. Called for a tow, was only like a 20 minute wait
-Starter said no on my dad's car, towed to my work.
-Same as above, but the other car.

They'll also show up at your car and swap your battery on site. CAA batteries are shitty though. Dunno if they'll do one on a full-retard chrysler with a retarded battery location. Never need it but they also have fuel delivery services

Was a spanish guy actually. Ended up giving him 50 bucks, he was a fucking asshole.

Ended up causing ~800 bucks in damage. Camber and toe arms, wrecker D/R knuckle, new hub and bearing and new CV shaft boot (ended up limping the car off the grass so she could be towed)

You did nothing but lie.
You aren't 40, if you had AAA you would have provided anecdotes not quoted their rules over and over saying that's not what they are for.

Liar.
Sage.

Ty user. Canada is close. Sounds like that driver was trying to take you for a ride, fuck him

Im a hick, my vehicles are lifted.