Why do Europeans consider VAG cars as very reliable but Americans consider them very unreliable?

Why do Europeans consider VAG cars as very reliable but Americans consider them very unreliable?

Is there a difference in quality between the VWs and Audis sold in NA compared to European models?

Because most Americans neglect basic maintenance so their cars break down more.

>Why do Europeans
UK reliability index rates Skoda the highest out of the VAG stuff with VW being 20th and Audi being bottom of the barrel near Chrysler so i wouldn't say all euros consider them reliable.

Because burgers drive their cars for 500k km, while in Europe when your car starts approaching 200k, nobody wants to touch it anymore. No service point, no used car dealer, nobody. To burgers, this seems like a waste.

This.

Can't blame them tho. The average Audi dealership charges almost $160 for an oil change.

This, and as you mentioned yes the US-destined versions aren't built as well. See, VAG know that the average American is willing to spend money on buying new vehicles because of rampant brand loyalty, so they deliberately build American-spec vehicles with lower tolerances and lower-quality components. When an American's car breaks down they send it to the junkyard without so much as a backward glance at the rear seat filled with soda bottles, pizza boxes, burger wrappers, and half-empty bags of whatever processed slop they call snack food. Then they go to the dealer and buy a new one. Brand loyalty + cars designed to break down = more money.

Don't know about Audis but I'm relatively certain that most, if not all VWs sold in North America are assembled in bloody Mexico. That alone already seems to make a huge difference. European cars assembled in the US are also known to be less reliable. The very first Mercedes-Benz assembly in the US had to shut down for a year right after opening and undergo overhauls because the initial assembly quality was abhorrent.

Because we buy mainly simple base models.
The 2.0 tdi and 1.6 fsi are very popular VAG engines in europe atm

why don't the nips do this with their exports then?

neither of these are relevant because they effect all brands the same
this is the real reason

The 1.6FSI was phased out in 2008 in favor of the 1.4TSI. Europeans prefer small turbocharged hi-tech petrols and diesels like the 1.4tsi and 1.4tdi but Americans seem to like larger naturally aspirated petrols that aren't even offered in Europe like the 2.3l, which being more traditional and more simple should be more reliable

The 2.5l inline 5 is probably the most reliable engine they currently offer.

Or maybe it's not more reliable because it's made just for a bunch of Americans and VW can't be bothered to do it properly because Americans expect to buy cars at bargain prices and treat them as disposable.

Becuase the nips don't look down on non-nips and maybe a lot of europeans look down on non europeans either that or germany is filled with more jews than we thought and they know their brand is more exotic in non-european places where they can get away with it. if i had a car brand and i knew lots of people in a market thought my brand was exotic and a status symbol rather than casual transport id probably do it too. Look at Tesla, normies fucking adore them and tolerate their horrid build quality, euros too, they gobble teslas up.

>euros too, they gobble teslas up
Tesla sales in Denmark dropped to near zero after the government bonus was cut. People only buy into the inconvenience of electric cars if they think they can save money.

Europeans that known about cars, don't consider VAG as a whole a bastion of reliability.

Europeans that are dumb as rocks and only want a car to go from A to B, have no concept of reliability and shop for symbol and status, which vag marketing department as excellently done with VW and Audi.

The 2.5 is pure cancer. And I should know a thing or two about them since my work pretty much is specialized on VAGS.

Right now VW doesn't have an engine that could be said bulletproof. All of them have some kind of issue/design defect/etc.

>Europeans that are dumb as rocks and only want a car to go from A to B, have no concept of reliability and shop for symbol and status
t. the country where singular car makers have had up to half a dozen brands in the past because brand image and status

Because most of the Japanese manufacturers have American subsidiaries that control how their American market cars are put together. And as incompetent as Americans might be at putting together their own cars, they seem to do well when putting together other countries' cars.

I even read that burger toyota/lexus is better than leaf toyota/lexus

>Becuase the nips don't look down on non-nips
I didn't know someone could be this wrong.

American VWs are made in Mexico, European VWs are made in Europe. Different factories with different standards.

Because american volkswagens are built by mexicans

A lot of audis are built in Germany though. in fact, i don't know of any audis that are build in north america at all.

that would be the supercharged 3l v6

Seat nor Skoda are sold in the us so the average non porsche vag just got worse, only Audis and VWs. Also most americans see VAG as just unreliable Audis (fair) and the modern Beetle (meh). Many don't even know Porsche is part of VAG and just know of Audi, the Golf, and the TDI scandal.

Really? Why are Europeans so wasteful? Where do the cars go? Africa? South America?

Euros just have a weird idea that VW are still the best product you can buy. Kind of like how baby boomers here still bought front wheel drive GM and Chrysler malaise era products even through they weren't great.

European reliability surveys regularly put VAG group vehicles below Asian brands, just like in American reliability studies.

Europeans will often try to blame Mexican or Asian manufacturing plants for why their vehicles are unreliable, but as an ex technician I experienced the most issues from EU built models like the CC and Touareg. Only simple models like the Jetta and Golf are manufactured in Mexico and those are the more reliable vehicles VW makes. Audi were bad all around from the A4 to the Q7.

We have some kind of stigma. A lot of people mess with the odometer to read a lot less than it is in reality (im looking at you germans selling 15 year old diesel passats with """"genuine""" 160k) and sell it behind the border. Its usually german cars. People dont want to invest in something that has probably 5 Times the mileage on the display

Is infiniti that bad?

the MLs were shit

The turbos on the new V6 fail pretty frequently. The I4, V8 and non turbo V6 units are still great. Infotainment systems on the Q50/Q60 apparently have a lot of problems too.

They get recycled silly burger

The Steyr built models had problems too. A lot of it had to do with a type of paint/sealer that Mercedes was using at the time and bad Czech wiring.

>effect

they migrate to eastern europe at 100k.

Audis are unreliable in europe as well

My A4 has plenty of electrical issues and front axle usually doesn't last longer than 100 000 km

Not my aunt's A4. She drives her car to her work everyday. No issue. It looks like you got a bad one. Maybe those Turkish workers fucked up yours. :^)

they dont have to drive as far retard. all of the countries are smaller and have closer population centers bc muh medieval heritage. they dont rely exclusively on cars for transportation too. they dont have to make the cars last longer than theyre intended to.

>they dont rely exclusively on cars for transportation too.
True, we have soboys that ride e-bikes and shit. They will all die in WW3 though, don't worry.

Thats not true at all, at least in southern europe.
People tend to do less milage in one year than in america, but on average europeans tend to keep their cars much for much longer than the americans . Mainly because we cant afford to get a new one as often as Americans, we get cucked by our governments.

Skodas aren't sold in the US.

What? I barely ever see cars that are more than 10 years old on the road. You must be from Greece or something.

This

You're lucky if you get 100k trouble free miles out of german garbage, then you have to pay more than the value of the car to repair anything because of the absolutely retarded way they're designed.

Drug me with audi reliability
>Wanting to get one
>Audi a4 b6

Hello B5 owner

Americans can't afford it either, they always end up paying off their cars for years and years and move right on to the next one as soon as they've finished.

I'd guess that American cars build up mileage cruising along the highways. In the UK/Europe most of it will be town driving. So we spend more time revving the shit out of everything.

>Why do Europeans consider VAG cars as very reliable
lmao who would do that?

>t. germany

This
Unlike amerisharts, we don't have hectares upon hectares of "car graveyards" where we left'em there rotting on their own wheel (talking about wasteful).
Here scrapyard isn't a synonym of landfill: if a car goes there it'll be broken to pieces and recycled.

amreicans are stubborn and patr(retarded)iotic

they think anything not american is shit

notice how most americans will think a car is better if they think its made in america even though its actually a european car with a chebby badge on

The irony in this post is astounding.

nips sell their regular cars as luxury cars under other brand names and remove all the modern features and better engines, but even then they are still nicer than their chebby equivalent so americans believe it

how many people do you hear call acura a luxury brand even though its just regular hondas with less stuff in them than jdm hondas

because americans are 56%, white people are smarter and with more knowledge in cars

The irony in this whole thread is. Brandfags is what keeps vw alive. Europe, NA, wherever. Blind nationalism keeps Krauts buying them, (((German engineering))) keeps burgers buying them. VW forums consist 90% of "I love my vw, but hate it's reliability."

lol acura "muh luxury brand"
is worse than honda

i find it hilarious how bad fiat is

im surprised buick is so up there actually

I find it hilarious that Buick is so high up when their lineup mostly consists of rebadged Opels.

Italians cannot into engineering

Other than the 500 and 124 Spider (mazda I know) what Fiats are actually sold in the USA?

maybe your aunt got lucky

>t. someone who has never been to America

this is stupid because audi and most german cars require a 10k oil change. FUCK if you were smart you could do the 5k yourself and take it in for the 10k. My base honda econobox gets a 40$ oil change so I mean obviously an audi is better

I have a b7 a4 avant, i regret it every day of my life, just done the transmission belt 780 euros , it has 125k km no axle issues but so many small things add up over time, 1 week ago the main tube of the powersteer just cracked and spilled mineral oil everywhere, went to the shop
> the new tube costs 800+ euros. Plus work hours so that'll be 980 euros.
Fuck no, go to a small businesses selling hydraulic fittings and soft hydraulic lines, buy their best shit 59 euros and 5 hours later it works.

I love how the car looks i hate how the car works, also i have an issue with the turbo , it's spitting oil into the intercooler, I unfortunately have no fix for that a new turbo from factory is 1k plus work hours. So now what i do is just not floor it as much and ignore the blueish smoke behind me before it gets to 90 degrees celsius.

I've learned my lesson, not gonna buy another german piece of shit ever again.

>same cars
>ratings are extremely varied
Once again, the opinions of the general population are worthless

Americans do that even often. Go check craigslist and see what you pay for a 2004+ Honda/Toyota and compare those with european prices

That's a burger scrapyard

Yuro here. We don't. Not anymore.

Onjly people who consider VAGs reliable are old retards who know nothing about cars and still live in the era of 1.9TDI and 1.8T engines which were the only good and legitimately reliable engines.

TSI, FSI and TFSI are all garbage.

>old retards
Literally everyone around me thinks that VAG (and german cars in general) is the pinnacle of motoring.
Around 90% of those people knows jack shit about car, but they'll go soyboy mode pretty quickly over VAG products.

Thinking of buying an 06 golf with the 1.9TDI PD engine, is that a good one? Avoiding the 2.0TDI for obvious reasons

surprise to see Jaguar so high up there.

1.9TDI PD is known to be pretty bulletproof so it's a good choice. Will also take a good tune if the engine is healthy

Not-that-euro here.
We consider VAG a piece of shit, because TSI don't last even 250 000 km of petrol...

VAG was considered reliable, when they had 1.8T 1.6 BSE, 1.9TDI stuff... Those cars could run for 1000 000 kms, no problem.

It has to do more with the availability of cheap genuine replacement parts and qualified mechanics. Even the most reliable designs wouldn't be reliable without knowledge mechanics and shitty 3rd party replacement parts.

I'm europeand, and I consider all EU and US cars pretty unreliable. Especially french, italian and VW stuff...
The only things I consider reliable are nip cars and porsches