Is BMW xDrive a good AWD system?

Is BMW xDrive a good AWD system?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_xDrive
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Grandpas warm wet farts

no bmw with xdrive is worth owning. not because xdrive is bad but because anything with xdrive is post-E46/E39/E38 and therefore shit.

it's a part time rwd biased awd system, the same as nissan GTR.
Good for driving dynamics (no understeer) but worse for off roading than a full time torsen awd system (like quattro)

E46 has xdrive too.
Check yourself

Yes

it didn't have xdrive. it was just a xi

pretty much the only worthwhile performance-ish awd systems in the buisness are made by audi, porsche, and subaru

most everyone else just has some lazy implementation so they can sell models because people think awd will save them from snow or something. it's weird, awd is given this mythical status by normies and they won't touch rear wheel drive

E46 has xdrive.
Xi is short for "xdrive injection"
E46 diesels had "Xd" which is short for xdrive diesel
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_xDrive

Audi and subaru dont have perfomance oriented awd systems they are off road oriented.
Xdrive is similar to porsches awd.

Nice meme e60’s are great and so are e92’s with the N55 engine

everyone can have central diff
all alfa romeo models have torsen, so as many audi models (A4, A6, A8), but smaller models are haldex based A3, golf etc

BMW uses similar as haldex system, only RWD until rear wheels spin out
Models with central diff have constant power on all wheels. And BMW does not have that.

You're wrong in implying there has ever existed a bmw that wasn't pure shit

e30, e31 are the best cars ever built.

Drove an X-drive bmw sedan through the most intense snowfall Reykjavik, Iceland, has had for 52 years, i had to stop because i was plowing through such deep snow that it got to a point where the whole windscreen, and the roof, was covered, the car kept going but i couldn't see shit, so i had to stop and take the snow off the windscreen, then just kept on going

the snow was as deep as the tires are tall

car was an E60 530XD, running 225/55/70 Michelin X-ice

Sure there's better AWD systems out there, but Xdrive is definitely not bad, of course you need good tires, i was overtaking people in SUVs and pickups that were completely stuck, no problem

damn nice

it really did a great job, got it stuck once, but that was because i reversed into thicker snow and undercarriage got lifted, so the wheels had no contact with the ground, as long as the wheels were on the ground, it was practically unstoppable

So you mean to tell me that not everyone in Iceland drives a Fjallasport/Arctic Truck modified pickup/SUV on 44 inch tires?

Probably about 70% of the population drives a fucking stock toyota land cruiser and never goes outside the city limits

but nah, not as many people as you'd think drive modified trucks, although there is a bunch of them

my dad had a dodge ram 2500 on 49" though, that thing was a beast, 5.9 cummins diesel with a banks power chip, 500hp/1300nm

Sounds like here, except for the modified thing because our DMV is cucked by the EU and staffed by people who have some latent nazi syndrome

I'm so fucking jelly of your laws and regulations towards vehicle modification

hahaha yeah, iceland is pretty chill with that stuff, a guy i know built a buggy in his garage when he was 16 years old, and then over time fitted lights and mudflaps and all the shit, cut out the VIN part of the body from a 1986 chevy caprice if i remember correctly, and stuck it to the buggy, so now it's registered and "road legal" as a 1986 chevy

probably the coolest car in iceland, the cops hate it though

oh btw it's a RWD manual V8, he just buys cheap old V8s from scrap cars, drops them in, hoons till the engine shits itself then drops another one in

xD

>anything with xdrive is post-E46/E39/E38 and therefore shit.
Wew lad

That's pretty nice

Are we just going to ignore the Mitsubishi Evos? Or the GT-Rs? Or the BMW M5?

RWD part time AWD systems are great fun. You can get hektik but also the front axle will pull you out.

xdrive is a meme

for starters, the cars they are implemented in are based on RWD chassis so the whole driving experience is ruined. never mind the fact that it's just a meme diff thrown in the front and called "AWD". trash; but good for normies

should normies have access to RWD? I'm skeptical .

I saw some faggot in a Merc fishtailing all over the road in the rain and he was simply going to the gas station in a busy 30 mph city center.

lol, never driven one eh poorfag?

my favorite thing about the cars in iceland when I visited (beside the couple crazy modified trucks) was the complete culture clash between what you see in most of europe and what you see in rural america
Mostly the ubiquitous euro hatchbacks/wagons but then every now and then you'd see a big american pickup or SUV. Here's an Hummer I found flipping randomly through my pictures for example

I didn't realize they made Hummers for ants

The new M5 awd is insane, they just set the world record for longest drift with it (fucking 8 hours)

truth except maybe 70's 2002

the E46 and E53 system was vastly different

it was actually full-time for starters
E30/E34 is also different because it's some weird viscous coupling type thing

jesus christ

bmw is the ultimate fag brand
remember to sage and report all bmw shills

Remember to stay butthurt and triggered kiddo :^)

as strange as it may seem I didnt go to iceland expressly to photograph vehicles

Fun but overheating gear box on the track is a BIG problem for EVO and GTR. Only way I got over the problem was to turn off traction control on hot days. That also made driving the GTR quite a bit more interesting....

The solution to overheating or cooling. And the GT-R is interesting with traction control off because you’re going to feel that snap oversteer off throttle.