I'm gonna buy a Lexus IS200 today

I'm gonna buy a Lexus IS200 today

Make me regret it

Other urls found in this thread:

carcomplaints.com/Lexus/IS_300/2002/engine/vehicle_speed_control.shtml
youtube.com/watch?v=y_DHSTnV8ks
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No need, owning it will do that for you.

lol he fell for the lexus meme.

>rwd
>lsd differential
>manual
>handles great
>not that common
>toyota-tier reliability
>straigt-6 engine

It seems like a perfect daily

>buying a lexus
>its not one of these

Why not get the LC 500? It was voted Veeky Forums's Car of the Year, yknow.

Will you give me a small loan of a 100 000 dollars?

Whichever one you buy, there's a 99% chance the previous owner abused it, did burnouts every other week and crashed it a couple of times. You're buying a car more used than a cheap brothel cumdump whore.

Why do you need a loan to buy a $90k car?

The previous owner is a father of 2, has kept the car completely stock and has all the receipts. It was only serviced in the dealership. He even had the seats covered to preserve the leather. I'm pretty sure it's not been abused

IS300 is one of the best toyota sedans ever

Not even mad, decent choice OP

Manual or auto?
Asking because the tiny, torqueless 6 isn't terribly efficient and when combined with an auto box you're mainly converting fuel into heat and noise whilst holding up subcompacts. It's really bad

Very reliable though, I wonder how these handle compared to an E36/E46

It's a manual. I test drove it's quite dull below 3000 rpm but wakes up at higher revs. I wouldn't say it's torqueless, it has lots of torque compared to other similar engines. What amazed me was how fucking quiet the engine is, I could barely hear it working.

It handles great, the steering is very responsive. Supposedly the IS200 handles better than the american IS300 because of the lighter engine, but I haven't driven the IS300 myself so not sure about that

noice.

Small cylinder engines are usually very smooth. Plus I just read the IS engine is square (bore and stroke 75mm), while the 320i is something like 83*66 so the Lexus might have a little more torque

I'll definitely consider one of those as my next winter beater, a 3series with toyota reliability sounds great

Also, for all the benchracers out there, the IS200 is over 200 kilos heavier than a 320i E36 and over 100 more than an E46.

I'm gonna buy a Geo Prizm today.

Make me regret it.

not an RS200

>buying the small engine
Sucks to be a eurocuck

>being a eurocuck in America

I've literally never seen an IS300 being sold in Europe. Would definitely buy one

Ok they weren’t an option. Get a different car with more power.

>only 66mm stroke
kek that's tiny
No wonder these revved to 9000rpm even in super production

Define "cuck."

I used to have an IS300 and it was great except it was terrible in the snow.

I assumed that the IS200 was a Euro version of the IS300 but with the 207hp 2 liter from the altezza rs200 but now i see that it is some low powered version and incredibly slow. As someone who owned an IS300, even that felt slow at times, I think you could probably do better with a bmw or something.

>I assumed that the IS200 was a Euro version of the IS300

That is correct, europe got a 2 liter inline 6 instead of a 2JZ

Its also a base model and heavy

I meant similar in power, the Euro IS200 is only 153hp and does a 10 second 0 - 60.

Its an awsome car i love it because i dont own one, and you will love it too, at first, but then you will get tired of that smooth engine that gets you an awful mpg and has no power.
I mean its a lot slower than a 320d and struggles to get half the MPG.

>buying boredom: the brand

we got the is300 in bongland but they all came with autos so noone bought them

also wagon only I think

From an ex-owner:
>rear diff vibrates
>manual tranny whines
>handles great but suspension components wear out quickly
>not common and therefore has expensive parts
>engine and gearbox are super reliable. the rest is pretty shit.
>straight-6 engine has a glorious sound but was essentially designed in the 70s and is inefficient and heavy, made only sliiiiightly better by toyota adding vvti.

to be honest, I really miss owning it

Also, you should have bought the SportCross.

These cars need a 3S turbo, or a 2JZ turbo coupled to an R154.

So then of I'm buying on cl and it has an aftermarket, or just a replaced suspension, it's a plus?

It all depends on whether the parts used (balljoints and bushings) are better or worse than OEM and whether the suspension geometry is tuned in such a way that it would increase component- or tyre wear.

Holy shit that looks hot

My paint is trash but my car is loved, the sportcross is one of the best old lexus models

I own one currently, and it's a hoot to drift in the snow. It's gone 280.000km, and still no problems or major wear.

is it a common mod to change the rear lights to red? i hate how the stock ones look

It's pretty common. It kinda ruins the 4 circles design during daytime though

>limited slip differential differential.

>Acceleration problem
>Rattle
>Squeaky seat
>Obstinate gearbox - replaced - very expensive
>5 x 17 inch alloys - Pitting
>Head unit - cd player wouldn't play
>Driver's seat - motor failure & creaks - fixed twice then replaced
>ABS ecu - abs failure
>Front brake discs - corrosion
>Ball joint failure
>Waterpump - replaced
>Headlamp washer - poor alignment
>Loose speaker in drivers door
>Floor mats - recalled due to catching throttle - very scary!
>Exhaust chrome tip - corrosion
>Rusting stone chips on roof - a bit galvanised. Re-painted - Not cheap
>Frame rust
source: Former IS300 owner

So much for Lexus lasts for 25 years meme

The car I test drove only had the CD player problem a few years ago. Didn't have any of the other faults.

Most reviews of the car bring out the reliability of these models. I guess you were just unlucky.

You will see it. Just give it time.

Cool, nice that you're making use of all the seats it came equipped with.

Considering the car is almost 19 years old I'm willing to give it a chance. Also now that you mention it I'm fucking amazed that the interior doesn't have any rattles nor squeaks.

That's what you get for not buying something with a 1UZ.

>fell for Lexus meme
That;s ur problem

Since the floor mat recall is a blatant lie I wouldn't put too much stock in that post. Only the second gen was recalled for that.

Not that user, I am not sure about the recall part, but the floor mat issue exists in IS300.
carcomplaints.com/Lexus/IS_300/2002/engine/vehicle_speed_control.shtml

i would love one of these but i can't find a good one locally. it's like the only affordable japanese rwd car in the uk that isn't a 350z. it'd be nice to break the rwd uk mould of not just owning a bmw

I love mine, so sexy. IS300 so it's the slightly less underpowered one.

I gotta replace ball joints, springs and struts, and do the brakes soon too. GTE swap one day.

How much do the oem struts cost for one of these?

Add rims to the list please

this
it looks best with factory rims imo

You are black or a paki right?

I am sure there was no recall.

Idk it has tokico blue struts in it now, no idea what springs, they might be factory. All I know is it rides like it has 0 shocks, I can literally feel every pebble in the road. I was gonna spring for some aftermarket struts, springs and sway bars which comes out to around 1k.

How do you tell if both the spring and struts are fucked or just one? Car has 108k miles for reference.

White, the wheels came on it when I bought it and I hate them. I am not Puerto Rican god damn it. Wheels are on the agenda after maintenance. Rear main seal is also leaking so that has to get done too.

Fuck the manual transmissions in these things. If you are a diehard manual fag then dont get this car because the automatic version is the superior option.

Lexus dealership did it for "goodwill repair," because my IS300 had been in the shop several times. It happened during floor mat recall era. Lexus dealership insisted me to pay for other repairs - see my list of the problems in that IS300

>IS200
>Straight 6
>LSD
Yeah no

The IS200 6-speed manual is fucking gorgeous m8, gears are a little short but it's extremely precise and orgasmic to shift

The IS200 has a straight-6 though, don't confuse it with the Altezza RS200. And LSD was an option

My first car was an is200. It was a lot of fun, especially at a certain rpm it really seemed to start pulling.

depends on which engine. the 6 cylinder was a oddball and was shared with no other toyota.

the 4 cylinder i beams 3SGE is a 10:1 comp engine. because its 10 to 1 its thirsty. reliable but thirsty.

weird looking dash designed like a seiko watch...

engine bay big enough to swing a cat in. yes there have been more than a few 1/2/3UZFE swaps one of the most famous was chip foose's and ended up in the forza 1 motorsport game 1/2jz go in them too.

Texas here. SportCross a shit. We have too many, come take them.

t. Former Lexus dealership employee buying an IS300 in may

I quite like the L-Tuned rims. The Platinum edition ones are a close second.

forgot pic: L-Tuned

Platinum

Do you guys think a 2jz gte or a 1uz belongs in an ISX00?

On one hand you have a smooth sounding straight 6 and turbo whoosh that says Lexus refinement.

On the other you get the a smooth ass v8 that can rev to the moon, more unexpected coming out of a Lexus. Look up a video of a 1uz with ITBs, it sounds orgasmic.

Ever heard of the IS430?
youtube.com/watch?v=y_DHSTnV8ks

The paint job and those rims look like shit. A turbocharged 2JZ would be better on an IS than a V8

1G-FE is an underwhelming boat anchor relative to even the NA 2JZ

Everything has to be big in America. Except your dicks that is. I see the context

came here to post that