/sthg/ - Sonic the Hedgehog General

Welcome to the Sonic The Hedgehog General. Here we talk all about Sonic's stuff! Share art and music, discuss about new developments, discuss ROM hacks, speedrunning, and more.

/sthg/ #855 - Sloth Edition

>Link CompilationDrawfag/Writefag Idea WallsSonic News<
Sonic Mania - Special Stages, Bonuses, and Time Attack
youtube.com/watch?v=Qoc-As7hWc4

Sonic Mania OST - Stardust Speedway Zone Act 1
youtube.com/watch?v=Pm5iLGWqg4M

Sonic Mania OST - Special Stage ("Dimension Heist")
youtube.com/watch?v=OLcblxrrE0Q

Many Details of Mania Revealed at SDCC: Animated Intro, Special Stages, Story, etc.
www.tssznews.com/2017/07/22/sdcc-2017-special-stage-in-sonic-mania-revealed-story-details/

IDW and SEGA Enter Publishing Deal; Will Be Speaking to Fan-Favorite and New Creators
twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/888538195045998592
twitter.com/IDWPublishing/status/888536084472352770

Sonic Forces "Enter Infinite" Trailer & Theme of Infinite
youtube.com/watch?v=Mn6uqp_mr98
youtube.com/watch?v=XKjOJuPjiu4

>General Interest Links

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/SSF1991/status/893348210034565120
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Fast

Second for Best Sloth!

Even you can learn something from a sloth

Lost World was fun

YFW Sonic Adventure 3 is announced

Too late motherfuckers.

>/sthg/ #855 - Sloth Edition
>#855
I better check these dubs

If SEGA announces SA3 or an SA1 remake for the 20th anniversary of Adventure 1, how would this general react?

Let's settle this once and for all.
twitter.com/SSF1991/status/893348210034565120

Colors and Generations were only localized by Pontaff. Lost World was written by them entirely. With Forces, we're back to how it was before.

Baldy McNosehair was the worst line ever, but I happened to enjoy the joke about copyright laws.

You're not the only one who felt that way, too. I was wondering about that myself. I was thinking it might have something to do with Shadow and 06's dark tone going too far so they started shitting on SA2 for its darker tone despite it still comes off as a light-hearted adventure just like SA.

I'm considering including a warning about Penders in the email. Good idea, bad idea?

Classicscum would become rabid and shit up the thread even more.

I'm fairly certain they already know about Penders.
A quick google search would reveal everyting relevant and I doubt Sega would even consider letting him back on again if they refused to listen to reason.

They already know Penders is bad news. The comics industry is small. He's blackballed.

If they wrote the story in Lost World, then how come the Japanese script is so much better? Not that I don't believe it but it's kind of insane because a lot of stuff in the English localization of Lost World legit feels like Pontaff just slapped them in there (the awkward jokes and lines like "EGGMAN, YOU BITE"), especially when there was genuine dialogue in the JP script.

They're just tsundere at modern games because they secretly miss the Adventure era too.

Who is /sthg/'s guy? Johnny? Premy? Stephen?

I'm saddened that they went through the trouble of hiring a talented high profile voice actor like RCS only to give him some of the worst lines in Sonic's history. At least with the Boom show he has a chance to show his range.

How about egghead?
Johnny

I wouldn't care. Already got bored by those games back when they were new "remakes" of them wouldn't hold my interest.

ShayMay.

We already had Sonic Adventure 3. It's called Sonic the Hedgehog, although you probably know it better as Sonic '06.

Egghead is cute too. A little redundant though.

If it were supposed to be Sonic Adventure 3 it would have been called Sonic Adventure 3.

I, for one, considered Sonic Heroes as my SA3.

Will we finally get Roger try and give Sonic a more Giffith-like tone? I want to hear how his serious sonic will sound.

No m8, that's like saying classicfags should eat their Sonic 4 and shut up. SA3 should have been Ow story with heroes gameplay and a hub world.

Heroes, StH06, and World Adventure, none of those games really capture the feel of playing the two Adventure games. With Heroes it was the team gimmick, lack of hub worlds, and short cutscenes. With 06 it was, just... everything. With World Adventure, it was the werehog gimmick and the boost gameplay.

I there could just be one fucking new game with Naka Yuji's Adventure style and aesthetic but with upgraded graphics and controls, that'd be great. Thanks in advance SEGA.

Everything in 06 was like Adventure, but with much lower quality.

Griffith didn't invent Sonic with a serious voice. Martin Burke and Ryan Drummond did it way before. Smith has made Sonic sound serious on occasions too, but they're in environments where they can't be fully appreciated, like a Sonic Boom episode, or Sonic Lost World (a game that no one really played).

My fucking image got Op
I could cry.
Thank you, I can cross this off my shitty bucket list

The lower quality is what makes it un-Adventure like. Aventure had minor bugs. 06 was one giant endless bug.

True but Griffith perfected it.

I wanted to give Sloth girl a birthday edition and you made the pic right on time. It's a good pic.

Sorry user but I'm not the right one to say this to because I absolutely hated Griffith's take on Sonic.

With every other actor Sonic has had, even if his voice is a bit different, they all feel like the same character. Then there's Griffith who seems to not get any of the core facets of what Sonic's personality is supposed to be like. Nice guy. Good looking guy. Really bad at being Sonic. They should have had him as Shadow only.

I liked his Werehog voice personally. Maybe I was just used to Jason at the time.

Wish they had actually bothered to finish it.

How would the Sonic series be like today if 06 hadn't failed miserably?

I dunno user. But sometimes I lie awake and wonder what might have been.
Ideally there wouldn't have been so much bestiality.

I can enjoy his Sonic voice in Unleashed, I felt like he was just beginning to get the hang of things. To a lesser degree I think he did pretty well in Riders too. But I also enjoyed his odd interpretation of Jet the Hawk. It's weird to me how he's able to put so much energy into a side character or a spinoff game, but put none of it into Sonic himself. It might not be Griffith's fault, but the voice directors at 4kids trying tone down the crass and standoffish side of him because it's a "bad example for kids" or some crap. I felt like they weren't comfortable with who Sonic was, and they tried to change him.

>failed miserably

It made a big profit.

I think they meant critically speaking.

Nothing would have changed, sonic was still a laughing stock even before that came out.

>I felt like they weren't comfortable with who Sonic was, and they tried to change him.
Also as a result of this, a lot of younger fans who were introduced through the 4kids cast also feel uneasy with the "real" Sonic voice and personality.

For a while I didn't know he voiced Shadow as well. I guess this is what happens when you don't pay attention to the credits.

Shadow the Hedgehog was a laughing stock. Not so much Sonic himself.

Yeah to a lot of people. But there will always be a lot(ish) of people who do like Sonic. If they could have had 06 garner the kind of fan appeal SA2 managed it could have changed how Sega handled the property in the past 11 years. It could have lead to more story based Sonic games and less confusing struggle to find something the fans like.
This all predicated on 06 finding a gameplay style that worked, which once again, flight of fantasy.

No you fucking idiot. Everyone loved SA1 and 2 when they came out, Heroes was decent, and Shadow may have raised a couple eyebrows but that was it.

>Everyone loved SA1 and 2 when they came out

Because they were ten years old and had shit taste at the time.

Tell that to everyone who voted him the Second Most Popular Character in the entire canon.

A lot of that came down to spectacle and the ignorance of childhood. The only major mascot it didn't look better than at the time was Crash.

Not him, but I could never tell the difference between Ryan and Jason's Sonic voices until recently.
Which sucks for him since now he has a bad rep from his own game. Not to mention that game killed other characters' chance of starring their own games

They were critically acclaimed when they originally came out actually.

Ow had cautiously optimistic reviews at first, but then it came out and Shadow became everything wrong with Sonic. Later 06 showed us there's just something seriously wrong with Sonic Team as whole.

>Not to mention that game killed other characters' chance of starring their own games
Hey Knuckles and Tails had their own chances.

Lol you're the one with shit taste. Adventure 1 and 2 are kino. A literal subhuman meme spouting nigger with garbage taste such as yourself can simply not understand that though.

So critics and their opinions only matter when they match your echo chamber? Got ya.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." -Shigeru Miyamoto

I don't care that it's a Nintendo guy who said this, it's absolutely true and SEGA should have adopted this mindset a decade ago. It was so stupid to push for a holiday release for a game that wasn't even finished. Like, did those higher ups have no concept of how badly that would impact the SEGA reputation? I'm not saying anything that hasn't already been said to death, but god fucking damnit I'm still so mad.

>kids liked it
"it doesn't count because they're ten"
>critics liked it
"it doesn't count because they're critics"

Okay user.

Suits that don't experience firsthand how the video game market works are inclined to believe it works the same as any other market they have experienced and most of the suits at Sega are focused on pachinko where you can slap anything on a machine and people will still play it because it's pachinko.

I love Shadow so much but StH tainted his legacy forever. He wasn't even "edgy" in Sonic Adventure 2, he was more like an introverted, rational Sonic.

/r/ing am Eggman version of this

>"it doesn't count because they're ten"
They're children, not people. So this is correct.
>"it doesn't count because they're critics"
They're paid to have that opinion so it doesn't count.

I thought this was Microshafts doing? There was something similar with PS2 version of Heroes earlier, why it's the worst version.

Being third party is suffering.

You are actually a fucking tool holy shit.

Is edgy just a word being used by fat, ugly insecure lard asses that feel genuinely threatened by a in-your-face Sonic game?

Guess that means you're not a person with the way you're acting.

Edgy is a word used by children to describe anything that doesn't kiss their asses.

Weren't the people in charge of Sega at the time more concerned about other shit? Like I distinctly remember one higher up, maybe even the CEO of the whole company, being more concerned about his vineyard than running the company which he only had because his father used to run it. Or am I confusing them with Capcom?

I can't tell if this is directed at my criticism for the Shadow game fundamentally altering Shadow's personality forever, or at people who call any villain or rival in Sonic le edgy XD to be hip to the memes.

>rational
He did plan to destroy the entire world.
I mean he changed his mind but still. Otherwise I agree with your statement.

I really hope you're confusing them with Capcom because if not, god help us all for even still caring about this franchise.

Heartbreak makes even the most rational people behave irrationally.

Although I did say he was more rational than Sonic, which is not that difficult to achieve.

More towards the latter. The word edgy has lost it's meaning ages ago. It's a fucking meaningless buzzword now. People today are fucking retarded. Just look at the comments in the Infinite theme vid, there's so fucking many "LOL THIS IS EDGY OW DA EDGE AM I COOL NOW GUYS? AM I?"

Do you mean this one?
It's actually based off Jeremy Clarkson, but if you want a new one I'll crack one out.

Can you make a new one please. The one you posted doesn't have the "disgusted face" Dale does

Can the writing team of sonic boom save Sonic forces?

hey man, if I got conked out for 50 years and only remembered that my dad and best friend were killed I would be pretty miffed at people too

They're just embarrassed to like something Sonic related and are overcompensating with the edge meme. Deep down they love the song and the angst in the lyrics that actually seem to feel threatening. And unlike many vocal tracks, god bless them, the Infinite lyrics are actually good in an unironic way.

You're an idiot. Those retards can't save anything. Also Boom is a shitty show and only subhumans such as yourself can like it

B-but I like Boom...

Sonic Boom is an entirely different genre to Forces. Boom is basically Seinfeld with Sonic characters.

I'd rather be a subhuman than boring and taking life too seriously like you seem to.

I got work and a Clove comic to bust out at some point, but I'm sure I can find some time to do a Dale Eggman.
Any preference for a particular Eggman?

If Sonic Boom had been only a show without games, I'm pretty sure the show's fanbase would be mlp levels of popular and that is kind of terrifying.

In this timeline it has more of a cult following, and even though I wish people appreciated it more, I also kind of like the relatively small and stable community.

Either Adventure or 06 is fine.

People used to overuse 'pretentious' for this sort of thing. Edgy seems ok, short way of saying 'it's over the edge/limit'. I think.

I don't take life too seriously lol, I'm just a smart and sensible enough person to know what's objectively shit and what's not. You and anyone else who likes Boom live in a bubble user, and it needs to be popped.

You really needed to stop and think before you posted this. This is almost pasta worthy cringe.

>objectively

user don't say that

What will it take to get this cutie to give me hints in my games again instead of Omochao?

This is like a post version of a flaming bag of dog shit.

My soul to satan if it was guaranteed to work.

Bro stop holy shit, what do you have to prove?

That he can reel in tons of suckers.