O2 sensors

Lads, my secondary downsteam o2 sensor went out. I was looking at a Denso bc of OEM prices. Im aware Denso may very well be the OEM part. I found some o2 sensors shipped from Cali for less than $20. Any problem with going with these?

The ad states its a direct replacement for the OEM part, Denso and Kwiksen and sold by a seller with thousands of positive reviews. Its a plug 4 wires and loom. How different can they be?

Just gonna point this out: you get what you pay for. I don't recommend skimping on engine parts.

It’s probably not the sensor unless it’s a heater code. It’s probably a dead cat

i've been fucked by cheap sensors before

sometimes it stops the check engine light going off but still doesn't work properly

what car?

aside from failing an emissions test what happens if you don't replace s bad o2 sensor

Most likely its the kit that youre gunna have to splice the existing connector. I bought a cheap replacement o2 sensor for my girlfriends car and that was the case. Hope you have a soldering iron

Car will run rich or lean. Gunna hurt your empeegees at best and blow your motor at worst.

its a dead sensor. Its not my primary. the wiring was fucked and I ran the codes as well.

not lambda 2.
lambda 2 determines catalyst efficiency, not fueling corrections

Are secondary O2 sensors the same as the primary?

mine is purely for emissions bullshit, not AFRs

Rarely. Front O2 will be some kind of a wider band sensor that has some ability to tell how rich or how lean it's running.

Rear O2 will usually just be something like what they used to call a lambda sensor that doesn't have much sensitivity beyond telling you whether it's richer than stochiometric or leaner than stochiometric. Its purpose is to check to see if the catalytic converter is dead or not by comparing how the reading changes in the rear sensor against how it changes in the front sensor.

So the front should in theory be able to in the back. But not vice versa?

No, they'll read different voltage ranges. Often they'll have different connectors as well. In modern cars it's common for the front one to have extra wires to run a heating element because it needs to be up to temperature in order to be able get a decent A/F ratio reading.

For the rear the ECU won't even pay attention to it until the car warms up beyond making sure it's not disconnected or completely broken. After that while you can watch the voltage change a little right near stociometric it's not a reliable or useful indicator, so the ECU will, say, look to see if it jumps above 1.7V or drop below 0.7V (I forget if those are the actual typical voltages but it's something like that).

Front sensors are usually Lambda sensors (LAFS, air/fuel sensor), which are 5 wire sensors.

Rear sensors are usually "normal" 4 wire O2 sensors.

Older ones will even be two-wire. I've seen old cars from the 80s where they just run one wire off of it and use a body ground for a return from back when lambda rocking was a newish thing due to increased need for fuel efficiency and emissions.

lmfao so i had to take my o2 sensor out the last time and the threads were fucked hard from removal to the point where the sensor wouldnt go back in smoothly

so i just bought a new one off amazon and returned it with the old fucked up one in the box. amazon didnt care and it saved me 100 bucks

Buddy's old CRX had a single wire O2 sensor. IF he's asking about a car with a lambda sensor, that vehicle will have 4 wire O2 sensors.

Yeah those things get fucked up over time. I usually plan around just putting a new one in if something goes wrong enough to take it out or change the cat. A lot of O2 sensor types start to go bad and read rich when they get old enough anyway.

Nah, downstream o2 usually cheaper as well

Can we get back to the original post.

It's a rear O2 sensor. There's literally nothing special about them, which is why it costs $20 for the whatever maybe even your OEM version shipped from across the country.

It's like asking if you can use brand X oil from the parts store instead of brand Y because the sales guy looked it up and told you they're both the right one for your car.