Lexus LS400 as first car

Hi, I was wondering what Veeky Forums's thoughts were on a LS 400 as a starter car. To preface this thread, I am completely inexperienced and uninformed on the maintenance and upkeep of a car like this or any car for that matter, yet I have heard great things about these cars in terms of reliability and in extension ease of maintenance. Would anyone here recommend LS400 as a starter car for semi-every day use?

The main "expensive" repair on these is the timing belt after 100k miles, at least according to Veeky Forums anons. If you see one that has already had this done then you're probably golden, just also avoid the niggered ones too.

Great cars, very comfy, AC blows cold and heater blows hot. It gets decent gas mileage for a V8, its huge, heavy and has RWD.

I actually happen to be selling mine, I just bought a project truck. $1,600 and its yours, no joke. 224k miles, 1997.

Please buy it, I don't have room for all my cars and I have to move them around every day like fucking musical chairs.

$1,600, Santa Rosa city, Sonoma County, Northern California. Don't have a pic right now but its silver with grey interior.

I'm not op, and in NYC, but what are the Pros/cons of LS400, what year would you say is the best? What is annoying part of owning a LS400, how is the insurance compared to other cars?

Yeah I found a LS 400 that was being sold on both CL and eBay (both of which had their listings expired, was able to find the dealership website though) which has only being owned by 1 person, has a detailed CarFax record of all repairs from it's original Lexus Dealership and has had the Timing Belt replacement done. Also as a bonus it comes with a Nakamichi stereo.. Only problem is it's about $7k.

Oh, and it has only 110k miles on the Odometer, which I guess is relatively low mileage for a 22 year old car.

Sorry man, it appears you live about 6 hours away from me... and I'm not sure if I am willing to spend the money on shipping..

probably a dumb question but what grade of fuel would you use for general ls's

Road trip with a friend? He/she/it can drice your car back while you get familiar with Lexus-san.

I nearly drove 8 hours to buy a Subaru Brat that had been professionally restored with everything stock.

Someone bought it 2 days before I was gonna drive out with a friend to bring it back. Made me sad :(

Premium nyuggah.

Don't cheap out, you will have pre-detonation occur with low octane fuels.

I live in Santa Rosa and I'm interested. How to contact you?

Post a burner email, I'll send you my contact info and a time-stamped picture of the car right now.

i heard that with newer is's you can cheap out on fuel because of the compression ratio of the engine but it was a random IS owner who's most likely a dumb ass

Idk, I doubt car manufacturers would reccomend premium when the motor is designed to run on lower octane.

That would just add negative stigma to the car, making it seem too expensive to own and drive.

sr707h-554@yahoo dot com

OP here, so the car I was talking about in these posts turns out to have a thick bead of silicon seal around the front wind and get this, around the automatic sunroof, making the sunroof unusable (unable to open)... The seller doesn't know anything about it. Also, according to my friend, by the tires appearance alone, they all appear to be retreads... Would this car still be worth the $7K asking price? Should I call the Lexus Dealership that serviced the car throughout it's time under the ownership of the original dealer to ask them about the silicon seal? Thanks.

Just sent you an email, I put a little extra gas in the LS, its got a little over half a tank now.

Don't bother, wait for another one to pop up, LS400 aren't rare, maybe in a perfect condition/color combos etc, but wait within a month or broaden your radius to find a better one under 5k..

Definitely not a good buy, caulking/silicone/thick grease on the exterior is a sure sign that the body leaks water into the interior.

Water under the carpet/panels = rust and mildew, and possibly damaged electrics.

Trust me, my Bronco leaks water and I'm going to put a bead of caulk around all the windows. My work van also leaks water from the roof rack, so thats gonna get sealed too.

And my roommates Acura leaks somewhere on the roofline/trunk seals. He has standing water in his trunk, rusting away the body right above the rear subframe. He won't let me drill a hole for it to drain out, hes too worried about me "ruining the car" yeah, I know...

92 for stronger engine, or 98 for faster VVTi engine. My insurance was mo different then any other sedan I've owned. Only real downsides come from it just being a V8. 18/21 MPGs, 8 spark plugs, 8 wires, and they EAT rotors. Great cars though.

Absolutely the best car for the money hands down.

It's more reliable than a Camry, and beats the Mercedes S class in build quality.

>Also as a bonus it comes with a Nakamichi stereo

Not a bonus if you want to upgrade, there is no Beatsonic adapter that I know of that will allow you to utilize all speakers and use aftermarket radio!

This. Those systems were great when the car came out, no doubt, but they're pretty eh nowadays. One of the best $600 I ever spent was putting Boston Acoustics speakers and a new sub in my SC400, and the Nakamichi system does not make it easy lmao