Having a timing BELT

timing belt or timing chain, fuck that noise

>having an interference engine and having to worry about timing at all
laughingredblocks.jpg

>having anything but timing gears

I like belts myself, they're easy to change

What, your shitbox isn't gear-driven?

>having a car

I've always wondered this about timing gears, wouldn't gear wear be a factor? or if one of the gears managed to get damaged what then?

Im more worried about how god damned loud it is.
>every sbc 350 with a gear drive

The cherrybomb honda of the sbc world

>what then?
What about when your timing belt breaks?
The same shit will happen, but the likelihood of that occurring from a gear driven system is minimized. Part of the reason it is rarely employed is because it much more costly to design and produce than it is to throw a chain on it. Also, the difficulty of repair goes up if you ever do need to service the gears and/or the axes they ride on. That is mostly why chain-driven has become the standard. It is less likely to wear and break than a belt, and it still has the same advantage of being easier in terms of maintenance having a chain/belt system.

>mfw drive Isuzu d-max
>superior timing chain

more efficient, less noise

>not gears

>mfw I drive an alloytec commy
Superior quad can with chains

t. HSP

Gear driven timing is extremely durable and it would be one of the last things to fail in the engine, unless the engine's starved of oil for a long time but even then I the crank bearings would have spun a lot earlier than the timing gears would have sharktoothed enough to break.

I have an old yamaha four stroke that was major shitbike status when I inherited it. I put on another 5,000 miles or so and I've never had a problem with the timing gears, they aren't even that sharktoothed. The points ignition on the other hand, well fuck me

>No variable timing
Disgusting

The chain on my '76 LTD 400 wasn't fun but not bad.

Nylon gears on dad's 86 LeSabre 3800 of the Gods sucked ass.

The timing belt on my Turbo 2.3 was easier than most spark plug jobs I've done.

>having valves or camshafts to have to time in the first place

Fucking timing belt on a turbo PT Cruiser sucks to get at. Have to take off the intake, front wheel, and part of the a/c compressor. At least it’s a non-interference engine.

>piston engines have hundreds of moving parts, valvetrain is belt, chain, or gear driven
>rotary engines have three moving parts at best, no need for a valvetrain

>piston engines are exponentially more durable and reliable than rotaries

Simplicity=/=reliability

>less development time/money
>more wear/force on those fewer pieces
>more uneven wear/force on those fewer pieces
>humans are really good at making circles, not so good at making epitrochoids

How often do you hear about difs and trannies just wearing their gears out?
What kills them is low fluid.

As often as tooth failure thrust kills them, collapsing thrust washers, worn thrust bearings etc.

>Bearing failure cuasing gear failure
That's like saying your wheel failed because when you got a flat it got fucked as you pulled over.
Your wheel didn't fail, your tire did.
Your gear didn't fail, your bearings did.

>sister's Hyundai shitbox is due for timing belt change
>transverse engine
>bout 2 inches between engine and wheel arch
>have to Jack up motor from the sump and remove the mount to get the timing cover off
Fuckin lol at owning a car like this. Got her to sell it and buy a barra/6 speed falcon which is also a piece of shit, but not quite as bad.

>bragging about his cuck truck
Lmao

Enjoy you timing chain swap @ 150,000km

Bearing failure causing function failure, hard to have effective gear mesh when your thrust bearing is fucked.

>valves
t.nonrotard

My car has both a timing BELT and a timing CHAIN
fight me

The problem with rotary engines is their lack of compression because there is a limit to how much air you can spin in an eliptoid. Shit tons of boost might fix that but an easier solution is to move to more volitale fuels that don't require as much compression.

Mazda proved this with a hydrogen powered rx8. Rotaries are especially good for hydrogen and other volitale fuels because the intake, exhaust, and combustion "chambers" are different which prevents preignition due to hot components.

More power the motor has the quicker the gears will wear and for example most of the really big engines are chain driven.

>your timing chain guides will shit the bed someday

Oh fuck user

4 eye turbo coupe

I hate you a little bit. I'm green with envy. It better be a 5 speed

>timing chain guides

>TIL: the scientific term for a dorito chip

t. every B6 S4 owner

>not having shaft driven camshafts

Enjoy your belt change at 60k

Nah. I have a chain, just not a 3.6 alloyshit chain.

The VQ35DE in my G35 has failing guides lol, feelsbadman

I knew I took a risk buying it in it's questionable shape but it's deteriorated quickly. They only made my cars color for 2003 automatic sedans and if i passed on that one i wouldn't have likely found another.

>he doesn't flush his coolant after every drive

>your car will end up as scrap metal one day

>not having this

>not worshipping glorious nip veeate

Variable valve timing and lift are for cucks who can't pay the fuel bills of their high lift/duration cam profile.

>having coolant

C L E A N
L
E
A
N