/mhg/ - Monster Hunter General

>Monster Hunter: World
-MH:World revealed for PS4 and Xbox One early 2018, and eventually PC. youtube.com/watch?v=xe-RAeDfOMM
↳Information with sources: pastebin.com/TRFRGFn1
↳Weapon Intros: youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_ALSpmx2A8sAdeuYKMnrCt0xCpwPyPbC
↳Gameplay 7/28: youtube.com/watch?v=m81XclDe5Dc

>News
-Monster Hunter XX Nintendo Switch Ver. confirmed for 8/25 in Japan, region free. Demo 8/10. youtube.com/watch?v=Urb9cJcwAUA
↳No current plans for XX localization "at this time". twitter.com/monsterhunter/status/875133030326652928
-Monster Hunter Stories comes out 9/8. Demo 8/10. youtube.com/watch?v=r46Jbq-ZNok

>I have a question!
pastebin.com/7Aa6HxUh
Includes links to the FAQ, weapon guides, charm info, and more.

mhgen.kiranico.com/
Database with weapon trees, item locations, drop rates, etc.

sites.google.com/site/pingsdex
Same thing, in application form.

>Where does Veeky Forums play?
Create or find a Gathering Hall
Passcode: 7243
In XX, ターグット: Gathering フィールド採集 (page 1, middle right)
In Generations, Objective: Gathering
In 4U, Target: Fishing

Tags: MHWorld, MHXX, MHGen, MH4U, MH3U, Stories, MHO, MonHun, /mhg/

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nPjSPsnGEZY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

first for first

For me, it's Alisa

Nth for Frontier.

I hope all you faggots have a nice day.

Who's excited?

Today has been a day of leaked Brie jewoobs and the next GoT episode. Also I finished up some hunts in 4U that I've been putting off and actually had fun with it. It's been a great day.

>gold crowns carrying a low rank hunter
You know there used to be a time when this was looked down upon
What happened to you, /mhg/?

the casualization of the series happened, of course

If it bothers you ask them to downgrade.

Thanks. You too, user.

Just ask the person to use a different weapon and armor.

Geeez it sure is reddit around here. I was making fun of the discord. You'd know that if you actually ever played the game with us ok?

>discord

the discord has become a cliquey circlejerk much quicker and worse than what the IRC was ever during its existence, it is a much better example why you don't namefag in an image board.

I am!!!

>get nostalgia for monster hunter freedom
>played it on my vita probably 3 or 4 years ago
>search ハンマー MHFU / MH2G videos
>even really good Japanese guys suffer with the game
>get pumped up to try it again
>played tons of hammer in 4U / MHG so I have a grasp of hammer bro
>load up the game
>have vague memories of SUFFERING
>only had 160 hours played
>I got stuck in High Rank village quest urgen for White Mono / Monoblos
>instantly remember why
>I used GL that were green sharpness at best because you couldn't get blue sharpness at this stage
>I always either carted or ran out of time due to slow GL
>my farm was fully upgraded, but almost no honey
>no money
>for some reason my past self had made the gun looking hammer
>only armor sets I have are Guard Hermi and Evade Bug set (both suck in defense)
>time to clean up my old selfs mess
>remember I avoided guild hall out of fear
>google how to make cash
>need HR4
>had HR1 (lol)
>pick up the pace
>hammer is amazing, but slow
>monsters are slow
>instantly realize how you can't golf swing due to bouncing off of all heads / hitboxes
>you literally hold R all game
>cant side swipe into golf swing fast enough :(
>unseathing into an attack can't be followed up
>OUT OF POKKE POINTS

>spend the next few hours learning hammer and before I know it I'm clearing hunts in 10 minutes that took my old newb self 20+ while doing KO's and enjoying the game

>>time to clean up my old selfs mess

I booted up Tri a few months ago to check on some things. My saved sets were horrible. In particular, a gunner set with crag S+ and KO. I vaguely remember thinking that crag S+ would give me more crag capacity. It's strange, because I remember doing well. I had better sets, like one for a pierce bowgun, guard lance, and GS, but I don't know what happened to them.

Also, I was disappointed to find Tri didn't have guild cards.

Small things in MHFU that I had nostalgia goggles that made me forget about them:

>maps have too big areas
>monster like gravious and diablos ARE HUGE
>diablos spends 90% of his time underground
>plesioth just runs into the water all the time
>monsters doing two 90 degree turns is nice for hammer timing
>hitboxes are hard to imagine
>guild hall low rank feels like village high rank
>you are always out of honey
>can't make sonic bombs without hunting a monster for them
>you waste sonic bombs in 30 seconds against Diablos
>Diablos / Gravios and their black variants have giant health pools
>Khezu in village high rank destroys you
>monsters combo constantly
>stamina doesn't regen when caught in a shout
>some monsters feel like they are designed to punish blademasters so they try out gunner (gravios, b.diablos)
>giant monsters are a time waste no one wants to do
>game promotes high risk taking
>enraged monsters move too fast, hit too hard and are insufferable
>rage ends quickly though but adds to your quest timer if you try to "wait it out"
>village low rank has fucking dragons in it and tigres / teostra / lunastra etc. making it the longest low rank village I've ever seen
>I fucking hate the farm and how you have to constantly go back to it
>food buffs are weak as fuck (strong attack gives like 60 power, when a hammer can have 1000)
>armor upgrades are pathetic, +2 defence for each upgrade regardless of armor stone
>weapon crafting is through trial and error (look up online) paths. killed a high rank monster? here's 0 new craft unlocks
>crafting 1 item requires 4 to 5 different materials, and loads of them
>no amulets means less options in low rank / high rank
>constantly out of zenny
>one cat, who if you didn't focus on from day 1 will suck
>cats take forever to level up
>you have to level up 5 cats for food buffs
>food is a tedious mini-game of ass
>forced to look up online to even find out what ingredients do what
>rathalos is actually insanely hard

>small monsters are relentless and can make you cart
>small monsters instantly agro you upon entering a map and go after you
>small monsters are tanky / ignore the big monster
>I FUCKING HATE THOSE SMALL MONSTERS
>your attacks bounce off way too often even if you have blue / white sharpness some low rank monsters will make you bounce
>this makes people pick hammer to slam spam or DB to demon dance spam
>stamina is consumed much faster in MHFU than in other games when sprinting around a monster
>menus are a fucking mess, requiring multiple presses to find out how many slots and what skills gear has
>no way to check what skills even do in game, have to look up online
>many skill names are different
>health seems to regenerate very slowly (red part) in this or doesn't at all if you're knocked down, screamed on etc.
>using flash on Rathas when they fly makes them fall, but they instantly recover
>monsters quickly recover from flinches
>hitting the legs becomes a must
>monsters recover faster
>monsters however overall are slower, but in enrage they start to combo the player

I could go on, but fuck it. I love this game and am going to spend the next few days finishing up town to rid myself of my past selves shame.

>tri didn't have cards
MHFU does, but some of the achievements are insane. There's even one that requires you to complete the game with 1 weapon only. MHFU is so bloated with shit to do its daunting. While I wait for MHW though, I'mma dive in.

I never fought Rajang in MHFU so I'm looking forward to that. Not looking forward to G-rank guild hall dragons though.

thanks for reminding me to watch the leaked episode before I continue using the internet, especially Veeky Forums

>I never fought Rajang in MHFU
godspeed

I am for MHXX Switch and World
Fuck Stories

Stories is a lot better than XX.

At least XX is a MH game and not a watered down rpg with long-ass animations and a retard cat

I'm excited for Monster Hunter Frontier Z

>>using flash on Rathas when they fly makes them fall, but they instantly recover
you forget the part where he taunts for one minute after

XX is a poor monster hunter game
Stories is objectively shovelware trash
For fuck's sake they didn't even bother to optimize it enough to not have ridiculous NPC model pop-in from five feet away

Stories on the PS4 Pro looks amazing!

How do I make this piece of garbage into a tolerable piece of garbage?

Use aerial style.

But I'm on 4U.

Guard +1/2 so nobody tanks your stamina when you actually try defending yourself

You're out of luck.

Stories relatively soon, fellow monsters!

How big of a flop is it going to be? I don't think even piggu kids will go for the simple dull combat. Capcom fucked up making it turn based.

Pokemon sells despite being garbage so who knows.

I also forgot to mention
>enter map
>rathalos spots me
>instantly charges me
>they don't shout when they spot you in MHFU
>pushes me to a wall
>camera goes fucking crazy
>camera zooms to the ground, 180 degree turn, can't see anything
>rathalos pushes me around like a wet bag
>desperately try to move out of the way
>he flies up
>way up
>does Azure Rathalos leap from out of camera focus
>lost 80% of my health and poisoned
>he lands and instantly charges me
>barely get a max pot off, of which I have 15 MAX and they are tough to make in this game
>this is a low rank guild hall Rathalos

you forget the small things but jesus fuck this is painful

>with long-ass animations
you know you can set the animation speed, right? It even automatically SKIPS the super long bond gauge attacks at max speed.

Soon!

I really hope World does away with zero startup charges for good.

So I'm playing MH3U and have finally found myself in High Rank Village and Port Quest but I think I've hot my first plateau so far.
Pickle Joe is royally fucking me up and it feels like my equipment just isn't meeting my needs. Probably just suffering from a case of "git gud."

I'm using Lagi set because I'm primarily a GS user. Should I just grind it out until all my weapons are Blue sharpness/dealing better raw damage? Currently juggling Siegmund and Blade of Talos.

Where are you in high rank? Specifically, are you taking an actual quest to fight jho, or are you trying to fight it as an invading monster as soon as you got to high rank? If it's the latter, yeah, you definitely need to upgrade your weapons first. Aside from that, just get tremor res and learn to dodge through all of his attacks.

Pack dung bombs for Jho. I'm assuming you aren't actually dumb enough to try and hunt him when all you have is a low-rank weapon and an early high-rank weapon.

WARNING - THOSE ARE SPOILER WEBM's

Little warning these are webm's from the leaked Game of Thrones episode. Open at your own risk. I'm sure this user is making even more spoiler webm's as we speak so tread lightly or go watch the leaked episode so nothing can be spoiled.

HBO's website was hacked and a lot of shit was acquired, one of which was an episode of GoT.

If you want to try out a different weapon, DB is a really good matchup for jho.

Stick to his left leg when in doubt, he can't really do much to you there most of the time. Outer edge hitting the leg itself. When he's not glowing hit his head. When he is glowing hit hit belly (between arms and legs). He's weakest to lightning and dragon but as always raw and slime are fine if not better.

Other than that, jho is a monster that gets fucked really hard by items, especially dung bombs (which stop him from eating you), adamant seeds (which get rid of the defence debuff you receive when he drools on you when exhausted) and doped meats (in particular, purple meat poisons him and he's so weak to poison that he takes more than two barrel bomb large+s worth of damage over 45 seconds each time he's poisoned, and blue meat puts him to sleep, allowing you to set and detonate two BBL+s, one of which will count as 3 for a total of 4. Tinged meat can also be used for a free para, of course. Thing with jho is that he eats the meat pretty much any time, even if he's not exhausted and in the middle of fighting you he'll sometimes stop to eat the meat. Though you should keep in mind that you should only use each meat once, as the monster's status tolerance increases each time it is afflicted, so the second meat of a given type will do nothing. Also note with waking up sleeping monsters with bombs that you need to detonate the bombs WITHOUT hitting the monster with anything else, including your weapon and small bombs. Small bombs can still be used as a remote trigger, provided you place them far enough from the monster that they only hit the large bombs themselves.

Grow up kid

cringe

Wow, you mean the thing that was being built up to last episode actually happens? And doesn't involve any major characters whatsoever?
Holy shit dude what a massive spoiler, series RUINED

nobody over the age of 12 cares about GoT

If you licked a Kushala in one of the cold areas, would your tongue get stuck?

ded game

ded general

Sony's MHW collab without a shred of a doubt.

I'm playing Aerial GL and it's pretty fun but that forward jump/dodge when unsheathed is awkward as fuck. Does it even have invincibility frames? I haven't tested that enough.

...Huh.

Aerial jumps have iframe starting when you begin to descend and lasting until you hit the ground. The window is different but in terms of iframes it's about as easy to dodge with aerial as it is with adept (the jump also functions like the initial "dash" in an adept dodge as well).

I see, guess I have to re-learn how to dodge for this style. Thanks m8

Saber and Archer and maybe more were already in Frontier.

How do you git gud fighting Najarala? I can beat it even in G rank but this fucker is so annoying with the way he moves. I don't even know the best positioning since he always seems to knock me on my ass every time he moves anywhere.

gunner or blademaster?

notably with bow you can staggerlock G rank najarala with the neve bow and a reasonably good spread+ice set by hitting the frill on its back. I know this because I've done it before, but the way it moves makes it a pain to line up the first shot to get the staggerlock going.

I remember when MHX came out aerial SA was broke as fuck, or at least it felt that way. Is it still broke in MHXX?

>monster starts limping
>flies away from the area
>you find the area it landed in
>it immediately flies away to another area
>repeat two or three more times
>you hit it once and it dies
alternatively:
>you're beating the shit out of a monster and it's almost dead
>it does some bullshit combo and 100-0s you
>you return to the area from base camp
>you hit it once and it dies
it was funny the first few times but now it's every fucking hunt with this bullshit

They probably will if they really are trying to get new people into the series, which the damage numbers and other changes seem to suggest

Idk I tried it once in Freedom2 and never touched it again.
I remember every time ya took a step it meant your standard attack would then require your character to do this slow few step charge for the first stab.
I was used to mobile melees so every time I did the slightest talk of movement OH THERE I GO SLOWLY SINGLE STRIKING AGAIN CAUSE EVEN KHEZU'S SLOW ASS WOULD HIT ME IF I TRY TO DO A SECOND STAB NOW!

Interestingly, when I went back to play 4U, I'd notice on the map that monsters would fly towards a different area, but then change directions before landing and move to a different area. So I guess in Gen they changed it to where monsters actually land before they change areas again. Yet another step backwards.

Well I finally did the quest with weapon related, using that low rank bug set that gave me nothing but Evade +1 and gathering. Took me 35 minutes of suffering, 10+ mega pots and supply pots too. I have like 290 defense and not enough materials to make a new armor yet.

I can see why I quit so long ago on this part.

White Monoblos
>Goes down under less than Diablos
>If it goes down, instantly surfaces with dead accuracy unlike Diablos
>You have very little time to react
>Loves to charge, go past you, turn around and repeat forever
>If he's enraged, you lose 70% health if you hits you with a charge or upward dive
>Can shout combo you even if not enraged
>Both White and normal Monoblos are on 2 maps, and will enter the same map from time to time
>Immune to Net Trap
>Escapes shock trap quickly
>Attacks bounce off of the head unless charged

Monoblos
>Identical to white, enraged quickly
>Spends less time on wide maps, making him slightly easier
>Actually managed to KO the fucker
>He surfaces on my shock trap, destroying it
>Does same damage as White variant, just as aggressive

But man, 4 years ago me should be proud. Took me only one try and no carts. As luck would have it this only hammer that I can make had white sharpness and thunder which they were a little weak to. Best tactic I found was doing charge hits (not slams) to the feet, after 3 or 4 they would topple. This would take a while because of how often they would go underground.

Once toppled, I would charge into a spin and do a golfswing on the 4th spin and it felt glorious.

Sonic bombs from supplies were useless because Monoblos surfaces too quickly to make any use and even if you pull it off their head swings upward, making it near impossible to do any golf swings. The armor looks great and onward I go. If there's a single hunt I might farm it. Finally unlocked 3 slot gems too and another U series armor. A good day of hunting.

What is the best status bow?

I underestimated brave wide-type arcshots, they apply a fuckton of status at the proper distance.

Really, the famitsu guide doesn't specify how much, but I tested it and they do more than spread lvl4-5 (20 status, the highest status shot type). It usually takes 3-4 shots to proc something with wide-arcshots that takes 5-6 with spread. I was able to sleep khezu 4 times in a hunt with sleep coatings + combines, holy fuck.

So, now that you should only be using wide arcshots to proc status, then switch to your normal shots for continuing doing damage, you don't really need special shots to do both.

Sacred bow G is good, but it has rapid 3, less damage and less status per shot compared to Grimclaw roar, but Groar has blast as arcshot (good damage, shit status, fucks up teammates big time).

So, what other option is there?. I was using the deviant uragaan bow, it has wide arcshot, heavy5 as 3rd level charge and has para/boosted sleep. Also even heavy 5 deals more status than rapid 5-4.

bowbros pls I need your opinion.

Nerscylla in 4U, use Crit Status for the 1.5 modifier.

>no mention of Switch XX demo in the OP
The World shilling is real

Blademaster but I guess I'll try it with Gunner next.

everyone that cares already played the game

I'm not buying a Shitch. 3DS is where I drew the line.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I compared critstatus vs status+1 and status+1 gave me more procs in average, I know cristatus is 1.5x for bow, but wide arcshot explodes and deals multiple status not concentrated in a single part, so not all explosions get crit'd. So critstatus is good for single normal shots, not for arcshots.

tfw you make an new set that is dope and wanna use it but its only effective against one monster.

nice blog

Why have I seen people recommend Akantor Kingsword and Aerial style so often?
Like, why that specific combo?

9 time out of 10 if there's a monster you struggle to gun switching to a bm weapon will make it easy and vice versa.

>make a farming room for Kushala
>a HR5 guy joins with G rank armor and weapons

How the fuck does this even happen?

Blademasters should attack the back legs for trips. HGE is super helpful because of those annoying scales in G rank that track and cause a roar stun.

what set, which monster

What do you think, sherlock? He edited his save.

Good, die you clown-suiting fucking piece of human filth.

So how are Dual Blades in 4U? They any good, or did they get shafted?

youtube.com/watch?v=nPjSPsnGEZY
you made me laugh out loud, thanks but it actually looks pretty good

Extremely good. If they didn't have a few garbage matchups on average they'd be up there with the big boys (IG, GS, CB). Instead they're "only" #5, at least in terms of best 140 times.

Any DBs you could recommend for early G-Rank?

>gen
gross
>thinking that looks good
also gross
>thinking that's only good for rajang
???

Monster Hunter Double Gross

Yesterday I made a set with gunner set with garuga X helm, gravios chest and arms, and torso up waist and legs. I needed a set with recoil down+2 and weakness exploit. All I could do was laugh at how ridiculous it looked.

I don't know about early, I only started using most of the weapons in postgame. I think the magala ones are generally decent though, and brachy is probably good in early g rank since blast demolishes low-health monsters and they have two slots for easier setbuilding. Again though, that's off the top of my head without the experience of having played through the game with them.

(you)

Should more monsters be identical to Nargacuga in that they have tighter dodging windows or would that be too "easy"?

Why does Gen look worse tham MH4U?

because it is

I meant visually

Because imagine how fucking shitty the hardware on the 3DS is it. And gen/xx wanted to mix in more particle/anime effects.
Do the math.

have you played 4u in a o3ds?

More monsters should be like Bulldrome; perpetually angry and with literally nothing on their mind other than charging at you and fucking you up.

This is probably because all the areas in 4U are new whereas Gen combines the areas of the more dated generations, though this might just be me bullshitting. Try comparing the Dunes areas of both games.

Yes and the models on Gen look too aliased in comparison.