Regular/Premium Gas

youtube.com/watch?v=FPPkPAbzwbU

Does gas choice make a difference and when? Is it worth it at all to go over your car manufacturer's recommended octane? This video says no.

Other urls found in this thread:

pencilgeek.org/2009/05/octane-rating-conversions.html
auto.howstuffworks.com/gas-pump5.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>knock knock knock knock
user YOU RUINED THE CAR

Hi. I'm Timmy and I've been brainwashed by false advertising. I make my opinions based on what the gas companies tell me.

Go to 8:29 in the video

>what is an old car

I don't feel like giving views, sorry.

Fucking retard

Whoa chief, simmer down.

So what's the deal with non-ethanol gas?
I find the claims suspicious especially because the only gas stations that sell it in my city are renowned for having bad quality gas.

It's not exactly legal to use in a car for tax reasons but boat fuel/marine gas is usually just ethanol-free unleaded

All modern cars sold in the EU and North America are require to run on "regular" gasoline. Sports cars/truck detune their engines to run on it. Engines designed with aggressive tunes for premium gas will see a large decrease in power when regular is used.

If you look in a car's manual it will say something like "This car can run on 87, but 93 is recommended."

So, with econoboxes and old shitboxes, run regular. With good cars, run premium.

What should I run on a Miata NB?
This is what the manual recommends but I believe the octane number reference is for US and it's different here in EU.

thats all we have in england, the classic car owners lobbied agaisnt it. if you do the math you power to weight over the ethanol blend it works out as like 4-6% better, AVE 'as a vidya on it.

maita nb says it on the inside of the gas flap or atleast my my mk2.5 does.

What country are you in?

Romania

We have what they call 95 for regular and 100 for premium but at this point I feel like these numbers are complete marketing crap

pencilgeek.org/2009/05/octane-rating-conversions.html

Oh thanks. It looks like I'll be fine running with 95.

In Romania, I think you want to use a 95 (RON) as the preferred grade, but a minimum of 91. I'm assuming the manual is using the AKI (US/Canada) octane rating system.

Manual was taken off Miata.net which is mostly aimed at the US crowd so I would assume the AKI system as well.

Some gas stations order surplus regular, so they shove it in the premium tank when it's full. Go to gas stations that aren't franchised to avoid this.
IE mobil, bp are two who sell the name.
Marathon, speedway, and shell provide their own.

Yeah, that kind of fraud is a big deal. How does a regular person know he's not buying lower rated fuel?

>87 octane
They literally don't sell anything lower than 95 ROZ(91 US) where I live, do americans have compression?

>he doesn't know about vaporlock
When you fill your tank to the top and the pump automatically stops, many people attempt to throw in a few more dollars in gas so they don't have to go back in to get their change, but they don't realize that the gas is actually not dispensing at all.
The pump just keeps your money and dispenses no gas once the nozzle detects it's being submerged in gasoline.
The alternative is letting idiots attempt to "top off" the tank and spilling it on the ground and on themselves.

why are europeans so fucking stupid

Cbc is leftist state propaganda they're the same news source who rave about canadas multicultural history and the joys of vibrant diversity.

Everything they broadcast is a lie

100% not true.

Done this for the last 20 years, I have never not seen fuel come out of the nozzle when I top off the tank.

Do people here just make stuff up, how old are you?

56% education

They even sell 85 here in some places, e.g. up in the rocky mountains where you can get away with lower anti-knock index in an NA motor due to the lower air pressure resulting in even less effective compression.

Neener.

I only use E85

Ethanol gas stores terribly and is awful for small engines (gensets, chainsaws,etc). It exists as a farm subsidy, that is all.

Owners of classic motorcycles and boats with fiberglass fuel tanks dislike ethanol which eats and ruins them.

Retard confirmed, and I've been working on vehicles since before unleaded was a thing, let alone ethanol. The nozzle does not sense immersion, it senses pressure differential by using a venturi and that venturi may be blocked not by a full tank but by rapid fuel flow into a restricted filler neck etc which will UNblock at lower flow rates. That's why depressing the trigger slightly can add a bit more fuel for topping off.

auto.howstuffworks.com/gas-pump5.htm

ohhh shit you are not the same fag that has the other thread about octane ratings...

damn it what the fuck is wrong with Americans.

We don't drive 1.6l diesel fiats like yuropoors

Ethanol is yuge in e.g. Brazil where flex fuel cars are extremely common and the sugar cane industry makes it cheap. They'll look at you funny if you stop at a gas station in a flex car and ask for gasoline instead of ethanol.

Seems largely silly and destructive to push it in the US given existing infrastructure and overblown corn industry.

do people actually believe this shit?

>t. retard

guess youve never owned a turbo car