Okay Veeky Forums heres a riddle for you:

Okay Veeky Forums heres a riddle for you:

So my 1jz was sitting un-started for about a week in below zero weather(in a garage) and i go to start it and to my dismay i hear what i think is rod knock. The sound followed the revs and very distinctly sounded like knock. I then proceeded to pull the whole motor dropped the pan etc. The pan had 2 pieces of metal approx 2mm wide but not much debris, The strainer didn't have anything stuck in it. I then felt the rods and they all seem tight. The end to end play was still factory spec so what else could possibly make a rod knock sound? Any pointers on what i should check next are hugely appreciated br/o/thers.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BuDzjqSSkng
youtube.com/watch?v=NmhleIkcyj8
youtu.be/5gO_lAKKurY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Also to ad the rod knock was very quiet so i believe i caught it right as the motor started knocking. It was a jdm motor with unknown mileage

bumparo hoping for the jz wizards

its probably piston slap not rod knock

The problem is you're 0.5L low on displacement.

>2 pieces of metal approx 2mm wide
post pics

Some oils dont flow well in sub-zero temps and you might of just had a dry start.

>▶
>its probably piston slap not rod knock
Is there a way i can confirm that without pulling the head?

lol a 1j is all i could find

Im defintely thinking thats the cause of my problems as that week was retarded cold, Do you think i caused damage to the bearings or it was just a shitty sound

Here it is, upon furter inspection its actually a plastic clip but i have no clue where its from, i did find that sliver of metal next to it though, and the pan wasn't filled with fine shavings

If its piston slap, it should pretty much always happen cold and then go away as the engine warms up.

If it's rod knock, it'll keep knocking possibly all the time and get worse and worse until it definitely knocks all the time.

That'd be one way to tell. Record the sound next time. There are some decent ears around Veeky Forums.

>Do you think i caused damage to the bearings or it was just a shitty sound

I doubt you did damage if it was a dry start. Was the sound you heard more like a rattling/clattering sound or did it tick like a rod does?

Oil pump shaft bushing or shaft clip

I only had the motor running about 10 min but it would come and go as the motor warmed up, I really should have recorded it but i panicked and shut the motor off.
Will the damage to the busing be fairly obvious? Anything i should look for in the pump? My friend is bringing over an engine stand tomorrow and im gonna start digging into that, the sound was from the cylinder 1 area
It was a quiet knock from the lower cylinder 1 area, im almost certain it wasn't the valve train as when i put my ear to it didn't sound like it was anywhere near the head

youtube.com/watch?v=BuDzjqSSkng

at 1:16 in that video is almost exactly what mine sounded like ,my engine is a vvti version though

Thanks for all the input guys!

Hum, yeah piston slap is usually more of a clackity-clackity-clackity because it would be happening in most or all cylinders at the same time. Rods more likely to start one cylinder at a time unless you thrash the engine well enough to get it to show up in multiple engines before you notice it.

I don't know enough about this engine, but you might want to try looking around for other things attached to the rotating assembly that might just be loose and slapping against the block. Other bearings (pullies, pumps, etc.) can also sometimes tick or clunk slowly enough to imitate rod knock.

The rod i suspected feels the same as all the other rods so other than cracking it open is there a way to tell? if i opened it i would feel compelled to get all arp hardware just to be safe but i would rather keep it virgin

Maybe maybe not. If it's quiet and just beginning you might not really be able to feel it yet. The upshot is that if it is rod knock then you're going to have to crack it open eventually anyway and then you'll wind up replacing all kinds of stuff while you're in there.

So if it's really light knock there's not a whole lot of danger of letting it get slightly worse enough to convince yourself its time to bite the bullet. If it's a tiny bit worn vs. a little bit worn that's not really going to matter. Only if there's some horrible problem at hand where something might let go or seize or cause some other sort of cascading failure.

I'd rather leave it to people with more experience than I do to advise you on how much danger you're in. But 10 minutes and it's just faintly ticking probably isn't too big a worry just yet unless it starts getting worse fast. Not like I'm saying go ahead and drive it 40 miles back and forth to work every day, but probably there's no reason to be afraid of running it some more in the course of trying to confirm what it is.

haha i could never drive without solving that knock for fear of ruining the crank, If i open the bearings up and they look fine what should i do? just clean it and arp hardware? Im not trying to chase any power as its more than plenty for my 280z i just want reliability, if the pump looks fine ill open the bearings and post tomorrow

Well the way I figure that's exactly the problem. My mind would be unsettled without knowing why it might have started knocking all of a sudden. Because then if everything looked good after it's apart there's no way to know what's really going on for sure, or if I'm about to bang up new hardware and have to do it all over again later, or if the whole time it was something else and I didn't need to have taken it apart in the first place.

I'd at least post the actual sound before taking it apart just in case somebody might recognize it as being something else.

i've got a jzx100 chaser and don't have the sound you have that's for sure. I know there is a knocking sound that these engines produce that's pretty normal though, most people tend to ignore is and don't have any problems. The you're describing sound does kinda sound like big end bearing failure though.

youtube.com/watch?v=NmhleIkcyj8

wat happened to my sentence :|

The sound you're describing does kinda sound like big end bearing failure though.*

Sorry friendo

I could not imagine anything else in the motor possibly making the same sound as what i hear other than a rod knock. My sound was definitely different than yours less rattly and followed the rpms more.

any chance of a video? I can compare it to my own car that way. You should post it in the JZX mechanical australia facebook page. Heaps of 1jz vvti guru's on there and they'll be able to help you out.

Sweet thanks im sure those aussie bastards will have something for me, And motors already pulled and slightly disassembled so no luck there, i might just be stuck with pulling the caps

youtu.be/5gO_lAKKurY

I found this video and none are anything like that and they all feel exactly the same

Gudgon pin

You got onto the two best guys on there haha. it's the best forum.