freesound.org/browse
freemusicarchive.org
incompetech.com/music
fantasymusica.org

> How to Webm
obsproject.com
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

Other urls found in this thread:

help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/231719468-Porting-A-GMS-1-4-Game-To-GameMaker-Studio-2
ca3art.tumblr.com/
sacha-nsfw.tumblr.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You brought shitposting into it. That makes you a schmuck.
And yes, see the post your replied to for the same code you posted.

Haven't gotten much done codewise lately because I tried to make a logo and realized I can't draw.

The game now checks for duplicate numbers on input, which is used for error checking and seeing if the player has finished. I have some plans to juice up the error and victory panels, but for the alpha it just needs to be working.

The new and ugly timer is visible in this webm but it'll be moved to the pause menu once I create it. I'm trying to keep the UI minimal (right side buttons will auto-hide later) and I feel having a timer visible would make players feel rushed.

What magic tags can you use to get this kind of exposure? Or are there just that many people watching gamedev posts on twitter?

It's all about getting "lucky" with retweets, if someone big retweets then you're off to the races.

Ok, I won't do it again, sorry. But do please explain to me how it was shitposting? I'm really confused right now.

>same code you posted.
Well, yeah, I was explicitly spelling it out, just in case. Not sure what the original poster of the question's level of expertise is. But if he's asking the question in the first place, I figured I'd give out an explicit answer.

Nothing gets my head in a chilled puzzle mode like a big reminder of mortality with variable letter width and millisecond accuracy.

OP I will match your dinogirl with a webm

You need to have some sense of scene composure and timing for your clips/pics. Its just a matter of doing it consistently and slowly building a following. Eventually you might get lucky like
says, though its not necessary

Anyone good with gamemaker here? The HTTP API seems autistic as fuck. How do I make multiple HTTP requests in a script?

>Hurr why are you using one layer of inheritance in an engine that requires it??
>Nah this has nothing to do with shitposting about ECS

KYS

#screenshotsaturday
#pixelart
#gamedev
#indie
etc.

the base for the star enemies on the walk of fame lookalike is done. they will eventually get more interesting faces and patterns to match the theme

>pixelart
I sometimes see 3D devs putting this as a tag and it annoys me.

>requires it

Well I just don't see how ignorance = shitposting, especially when I stated I was ignorant and was just trying to help with general OOP. Doesn't shitposting entail posting intentionally irrelevant comments and memes?

Anyway, fair enough, I will shut up now and will no longer speak about things I know not about. Good talk.

looks stellar

reposting from prev thread:

does anyone have a tutorial on how to make a simple 3D model render on a purely 2D engine? I guess I know how to render basic shapes likes cubes or spheres but how to render arbitrary models?

Neon bug dev/Tron/motion sickness dev here, I was dead for a few months and just now got back to dev, I havent been here in a long time but some might recognize the aesthetic.
Here is a new area I am about to populate, completely out of context. Building the meshes for the environment with a puzzle involving one of the power ups.

If anyone has any more social media or advertising type questions I might be able to help.

you render them in the 3D modelling program

it's still a silly idea anyway, no engine is "purely 2D" nowadays and it's far more practical to just use the real 3D model

I want to render a 3d model, in real time, on top of a 2D game. I want something really basic, texture mapped but no lighting

>no lighting
There is no way this will backfire horribly.

what kind of memeengine are you using that doesn't support 3D
even fucking GM does

Looks great, but shouldn't the star's eyes be bit more to the right?

my own

do a basic opengl tutorial, you probably won't even need perspective

carlos!

Thanks for pointing out the variable width. I fixed it up, but now it looks like I'll have to make sure my future font has full-width support.

Also, the timer won't be visible during normal gameplay unless the player toggles it. The timer will be useful for the leaderboards and achievements, but not for chill gameplay.

What are your favorite puzzle games /agdg/?

corrypt

oh carlos
thanks and yeah you're probably right

What's the best way to make it to where, if I click on a territory, it lights up? I was thinking of implementing a paint fill that draws over the globe texture, but that sounds really inefficient, and based on my previous experiences with Unity there's probably some command I'm not aware of that makes it super easy to do what I'm trying to do here.

Shaders.

riven is the gold standard

Would I make a gazillion different ones for each territory and just turn them on and off, or would I have one that I clear and redraw every time I pick some other territory? Both methods sound inefficient to me based on what I know.

have a second political map texture where each territory has its own colour, then just replace that color with your highlight and all the others remain the base texture

probably shaders

combat puzzles:^)

Haven't updated the sprites, but decided to make a few variations of the weapon.
1, the original/default which is affected by gravity and your own momentum when fired
2, heavy missiles which speed up from an initial standstill, a lot of impact from gravity
3, laser which is is fired at high speeds and ignores any physics besides hitting a target

This really gives me nostalgia for developing my first mobile number puzzle game.

Shaders, a manually drawn/updated texture, or objects you enable/disable drawing when hovered over, depending on what sort of scope or efficiency you want.

google "the witness"

if you squint really hard, you can see that it kinda resembles a game a little. i think

christ user you sure know how to design juicy as fuck menus

A regular grid is pretty straightforward. How the hell do you do a hex grid?

a triangle grid is the inverse of a hex grid

Engines should allow you to assign shaders at runtime. Then you write a generic tinting/overlay fragment shader that takes a color as input and draws that color over all pixels that belong to the territory object.

I'll look into shaders, I don't really know how they work right now, but it's probably a more efficient version of the texture abuse I have already tried. Thanks for the help, everybody

Pic related, I already have a bit of a political map texture, though this is a really early version obviously

A hex grid still is a square grid at heart, just that every second row/column is offset by half a cell length and 6 neighbours instead of the 4 adjacent in a cardinal direction.

Im gonna shill for gm2 real quick, since there were a heap of questions about it last thread. I fucking hated it at first, some shit is hidden in strange places, like sprite alphas being hidden in the sprites layer editor properties, (fuck that took me a long time to find) and it now pretty much forces you to use the guidraw with viewports/cameras, but holy shit the new room editor/tilemap and layer system utterly shits on 1.4/gms. Now going back to GM:S is like stepping back to fucking klic & play. If you arent poorfags, just spend the ~$50 and get on with your life.

is your inspiration viewtiful joe?

Did you convert an existing project from GMS1 to GMS2?

If so, was it hard?

Have you ever found a use for the animating sprite editor feature?

A horror game game with ARG elements where player death is imminent and he has about 15 minutes to search clues and piece together information. Replaying the game and doing different things means you won't need to do them next time (saving some time) so each run is kinda unique. Yes or no?

Prototype it.

thanks
no, but i want to check it out sometime

so what it is your inspiration? because those menus look so much like that, or a dreamcast-like menu title

Only a fairly basic project, it will automatically update a lot of updated/obsolete functions for you. It could be nightmarish for a complex or complete project, I honestly havent tested anything crazy. Generates a pretty thorough compatibilty report though, See
help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/231719468-Porting-A-GMS-1-4-Game-To-GameMaker-Studio-2
If you mean the realtime animation editor thing, its a cool idea, theres a cool flaming sword vid, but its pretty unrealistic tbqh. I tried to do the same thing and the mouse repeat vs image frame makes it super clunky for fine details. I'm not too artistically inclined though, an artist might be able to better take advantage of it. I still think you are best to stick with an external editor.

for that particular menu screen some gradius gaiden, some gunstar heroes, some daytona usa, some other stuff i guess

But why the milisecond accuracy? Surely 1sec intervals would suffice, at least for what the player see's.

>whatever you learn in 2.1 will carry over no problem.
So would I be able to bring a project from 2.1 over to 3.0?

I'm new to devving, but I'm willing to pick up a challenge if it means an improved result in the end. With this in mind, do you still think it is worth picking up GMS1.4/2?

>3D aspect of 3

This is enticing, since it would mean more opportunities in the future for the engine. I'm very impressed from what I'm seeing being done in the engine as-is.

Asking the same question I made to another person above; would I be able to bring a project from 2.1 over to 3.0 or 3.1?

To add to this, the internal image editor really isnt as fleshed out as the one in GMS. No way to whip up quick buttons with buttonise or glow for example. I dont think yoyo really give a fuck about this anymore, and Im surprised they added that realtime editor thing in the first place. All in all, there will be things that shit you about it, while adding things you (now) couldnt live without. Its kind of like learning a whole new interface for stuff you already know inside out. But once you start working with the new room editor, things that used to be a pain in the ass become really simple. Best for metroidvanias etc. where you are manually laying out your stages. Imo procgen guys could just stick with gms. Ive got a procgen dsgrid/perlin project that wouldnt benefit fron gm2 at all, so it depends on what you are making really.

I'm hoping to add in leaderboards later, so competition on the lower levels will require it. As my other two posts have said, the timer will be moved to the pause menu unless the player toggles it.

>would I be able to bring a project from 2.1 over to 3.0 or 3.1?
Yes. It would take some work, but would be far from impossible. Porting 2D games would obviously be much easier.

>I'm new to devving
My suggestion is to get 2.1 or GM (maybe even both so you can compare) and start with the classic games (Tic Tac Toe, Pong, Breakout, Pacman, Tetris) so you get acquainted to basic structures, patterns, and workings of your engine. After that, tackle 3D.
If you are hell-bent on going 3D, I would strongly suggest to stay away from GM. Maybe even look into UE4 or Unity.

My interest is mostly in 2D isometric work, but having the opportunity for 3D makes me feel secure with learning the engine (I wouldn't have to learn and buy a new engine just to try devving a new game type). I've recently purchased motion controllers for my VR HMD too, so the upcoming VR support for 3 is enticing as well (more opportunities).

>Yes. It would take some work [to port a project from 2.1 to 3.0 or 3.1].

How much work (generally speaking) would you think it would take for porting 2D titles?

i'm amazed at how this board can shit itself posting the few times i want to use it

fuck hiromoot

Holy fucking shit, am I drunk? I can't type for shit.

>With this in mind, do you still think it is worth picking up GMS1.4/2?
Right now, yes. Even if you have no desire to make 2D games in the foreseeable future, yes. Gamemaker Studio 1.4 (the last version before the 2.0 revamp) is in a Humble Bundle for pay what you want right now. You can pay a buck and own GMS1.4. You'll have no 3rd party exporters though unless you pay a little more in the bundle. Just go get it so you won't regret it later if you decide you want to try it.

really neat

Progress! Got the weapon switching UI elements working correctly. Next up, items and status effects.

>How much work (generally speaking) would you think it would take for porting 2D titles?
I can not speak from experience, but 2D games should be mostly compatible. 3.0 in this regard only changes the treatment of assets (textures, soundfiles etc.) and how they are imported and exported. And many things that are hidden in the background to speed up GDScript. To be honest, I would be surprised to find any of my 2D projects to be broken.
IIRC 3.0 switches from GLES 2 to GLES 3, but GLES 3 is completely backwards compatible to GLES 2, so it shouldn't cause problems.

Pic is from the official devblog.

how do you use reddit for self promotion? it seems like every thread on gamedev is just baby questions

>Holy fucking shit, am I drunk? I can't type for shit.

Don't worry about it, I understood what you meant.

I can pick up the $1 bundle (and probably will), but Godot is really interesting me right now. I expect I'll have to pay around $65/70 total or so for GMS2 if I upgrade from the $15 bundle. I'd expect this to be the cheapest it would be in any point in the future, and it's on a time limit (end of this month).

I appreciate your response. It helps me feel more confident with the Godot engine. I am getting only more and more impressed with the potential of this engine, and am regretting disregarding it because of initial lackluster curb appeal.

spam r/games with links to your kickstarter

Daily reminder that art is not natural talent and any retard can learn it.

This took me 11 years of slow progress because I didn't practice my fundies and simply drew waifus for fun whenever I felt.

but you can get this level in one or two years.

tell a sob story about how hard it is being a tranny

>that level
>one or two years
loomis

It took you 11 years to not draw a crotch anus?

inspirational, do you have a tumblr i can follow?

What do you think about this first level mockup?
I need to finish the second half

your post with that pic of your drawing is further evidence that art is a talent

ca3art.tumblr.com/
sacha-nsfw.tumblr.com/

just started to upload shit there since last week.

>2 years
i dont believe art is a talent but you're seriously testing my beliefs here, cristian.

you should post those on /ic/, they'll love your work

Some of the top art schools in the world actually can make you improve and become pro in one or two years.

Basically a lot of grinding realism as fuck.

yeah thats not what i meant.

what do you mean then?

he meant that the necks need to be long and supple for it to be considered true art

im going to protect my belief that talent doesnt exist by also believing that stupidity can be a trained skill that you have weaponized.

Daily reminder to work hard on your game, you're all amazing devs, and you can do it!

I'm not a mind reader faggot.
I don't have telepathy.

Thanks, m8. I did Greenlight before it got DELET'd and got some press out and such. Solo dev is hell so I guess every now and then need a break.
Here's a webm of a procedurally generated splotch of land you can grow. During the 'press cycle' I did I backed up most of my webms, Im not sure where are the older ones I may have posted are.

This isn't true of most devs here, but I'm sure you were referring to me. Thanks, user!

Are fish friends? Why does the doggo spawn around a fish fleet?

It's a cool mockup though, looking forward to the final art.

Super kawaii. Can dev give some tips for modeling character models? I'm at least slightly angling towards the low-poly meme, but I've never modeled before and haven't had much luck so far.

TL:DR: The planet from the corgi it's a culture who worship fishes, so all of they buildings, ships, etc are fish themed.
Parasitic aliens invaded the planet and controlled the fish ships, and yes I love nonsense like a parasitic alien controlling robots.

who is ready for screenshot saturday?

is this some sort of caturday?

#cumshotcaturday

she hiss at penis

>screenshot saturday
>recap monday
>demo day
I can't work with all these performance reviews!

Cum on my cat once, shame on me. Cum on my cat twice. . .

>turn based grid game
>optimal strategy is always:
>1. look at how far each enemy can move
>2. move 1 tile away from their max reach
>3. wait for enemy to move next to you and end their turn
>4. hit enemy

How do we solve this?

Turns last as long as you want and forcibly ends when you don't use your move to attack.

Disgaea solved this with objetives, example: the geo panels.