Why does nobody do engine decoration on sub $100k cars anymore?

Why does nobody do engine decoration on sub $100k cars anymore?

>2018 engine decoration
>black plastic with faux carbonfiber

2018 version has a plastic cover tho

The typical consumer doesn't even open their bonnet, so why would they bother?

That's been the case since electronic ignition became a thing user so it doesn't answer OP's question given that this has happened in the last couple of decades.

long story short no profit in it. cheap plastic cuts costs right down. you may think 3 bucks worth of stainless steel. but over 10,000 cars that adds up.

modern engines are extremely ugly
this doesn't have a cover btw

Yeah pretty nasty and they're gonna be great when all the plastic fittings and pipes begin to crack from age.

I happened to help a friend who owned an alfa 155 V6, it might of looked nice but it was for a reason.

It's cause you spent a lot of time looking at the fucking thing when fixing it.

Owned two Alfa V6's myself, only engine related problem I had(outside of normal servicing shit) was a fucked airflow meter and naturally, that's a bosch unit.

Makes me sick

>air intake and shitty plastic engine cover are one piece

GM is truly the final boss.

Fiat does this in some diesels too.

>it makes me sick that a luxobarge has an extremely well insulated engine

Benchracer begone

Ohh yes, I'm sure those plastic covers will prevent lots of noise passing the firewall and won't turn to shit within 5 years.

shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame

>all those fucking hoses going into the engine. why does toyota do that shit? i swear, every toyota engine looks like its on life support.

fucking chang ruining my green text and dubs.

This guy gets it. I was working on something one time and was bitching about plastic rivets being used instead of a metal screw/bolt and a wise old man at the parts store said the manufacturer saved $1 using rivets instead of screws..then they made a million of them..they could care less that YOU have to drill out the rivets. Really made me think about how much really goes into making a car..not just a single car but the whole production run

Fucked input shaft bearing because they used a ball bearing rather than a roller bearing (DERP), gear selector failure, I forget why, landed up making something up on my lathe.

Air leaks, cracked exhaust mani, my GF made a point of leaking once a month but this thing made a point of leaking at least twice a day.

Yeah fuck you alfa

You don't think they're the only ones that use ball bearings do you? Then there's all the examples of companies simply using a bush with no bearing at all.

I know it's not exactly flashy, but a painted cover can make a lot of difference. Some nice reasonably neat tubing and stuff and you can have a pretty good looking engine bay.

Pic related, it's my R33's current RB25DET.

Nope, but I've not had nearly the instantaneous fuckup that the alfa was. Then there is the sizing, getting hold of it and etc etc. Least if it's a piece of shit mazda or something you can buy stuff.

Go find parts for an alfa in a hurry at your local parts store when it fucks out, I'll wait.

Heh, as I said I've owned two and most parts aren't hard to get where I live, the airflow meter was a bitch though, had to order a second hand one out of europe because Bosch dropped their jettronic systems like the abortion they were.

As someone who as owned 34 cars of various brands plus side work on a bunch of other crap that alfa is one of the cars topping the list of "because fuck you".

As an aerospace engineer I hate it, as a mechanic I hate it, as an enthusiast I hate it.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then

The engine cover on my 15 year old Lexus looked fine.

I wasn't referring to the engine cover

Prolly yeah, I once spent hours sanding a cast aluminium intake plenum smooth then polishing to a mirror finish and clear coating. Looked dope.

Ouch, kudos for following through though

>Prolly
Do you have a letter shortage?

He's prolly Strayan

prolly

Kek

those domes thicc af

does this look good or shit

HELLOOOOO

Dat beehive looking coolant reservoir

Well is it cool or shit overall? I like the polished/brushed stripes on the rocker/valve cover and the Tickford emblem on top of the timing case