There's a TRABANT being sold relatively close to me for under a grand, should I go for it?

There's a TRABANT being sold relatively close to me for under a grand, should I go for it?
It's the S model as well which means it includes a GAS GAUGE

Other urls found in this thread:

suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/search.html?damageUnrepaired=NO_DAMAGE_UNREPAIRED&fnai=prev&isSearchRequest=true&makeModelVariant1.makeId=24200&maxPrice=1000&pageNumber=3&scopeId=C
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

only if you hate yourself and/or are a fucking commie get out REEEEEE

It's such a quirky little motor and is apparently very easy to maintain, I'm not a commie desu

>quirky

do it. They're easy to work on and attain immediate hipster status. Might even fug a dumb commie chick

Leftards are all about protecting the environment now. I doubt a 2-stroke pollution machine is going to cut it this time.

You mean love yourself. Short of a lawn mower or power assisted bicycle there's no vehicle in the world as easy to work on as a Trabant. This is not to say that you won't have to work on a Trabant, but it'll be incredibly simple. You can rebuild the engine on a saturday afternoon. You can lift the body off the chassis with a person on each corner. It's delightful.

They're fucking miserable to drive, and I don't just mean they're slow. They're loud, they smell bad, the brakes are non-existent, the transmission is baffling, the steering is wobbly and the wheel well intrudes so far into the cabin the pedals are jammed on top of each other.
It might be funny to take it out now and then and have your friends try to drive it, but driving it with any regularity will just fill you with hate.

Your hatred is baffling.

And I don't just mean the exhaust smells bad. When the resin in the body gets warm it starts to smell.

Do it.
>check the floors, a pillars and those two extensions under the firewall that hold the drivetrain for rust
>let the engine run, listen for knocking sounds from the crankshaft and noises from it's bearings.
>brakes will need an overhaul if the car has been parked for a while

And don't forget to stock up on two-stroke oil.

>I'm confused how other people could have different opinions than me!?!

>You can lift the body off the chassis with a person on each corner. It's delightful.
It's also a unibody design you uninformed twat. There's nothing to lift the body off from.

If it's less than a grand I'm guessing it's probably on its last legs and the owner is trying to get rid of it before he's stuck with a heap that can't be recycled.

>the exhaust smells bad
>not liking the two stroke stink
Get a load of this guy.

running, complete trabants start at about a grand dude. Might be a set of brakes and tires away from being roadworthy

Got any links?

why is every trabant thread started with this exact pic

to what?

Complete Trabants for sale for $1000.

It's off the Wikipedia page.

Trips command it

>what is google

In case you're a burger I'll do the spoonfeeding:

suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/search.html?damageUnrepaired=NO_DAMAGE_UNREPAIRED&fnai=prev&isSearchRequest=true&makeModelVariant1.makeId=24200&maxPrice=1000&pageNumber=3&scopeId=C

Some of them need restauration, some just a service, a couple are registered and fully road legal. Pre-601s, four stroke models, everything.

I see.

What country?

Thank you for the link. It's very nice to have a discussion where people are willing and able to back up their claims, don't you think?

>implying

It's small, just tell them it's a scooter engine that runs on canola oil.

sure, but you don't have to be such a condescending dick about something you could have easily googled yourself.

While you're checking out the cars I also want to add that the composite body panels make restaurations much easier since they don't corrode. If there's rust it's on the floors, bulkhead etc which is much easier/cheaper to fix than on the exterior

>You don't have to be condescending
Neither do you, so why don't we just call it even.

Buy it, swap in a BUSA motor, take to drags.

Fag

LS swap.

13B swap.

you gotta.

Trabbys are a cute and have an irresistible smile.

Keep that smile alive, user.

I might.

I would probably buy a similar-looking classic Lada or something instead though.

Most people are not going to know or care what a Trabant is or why they're interesting.

Otherwise it's just a noisy, slow, unreliable and somewhat dangerous car.

((((Triggered))))

A more positive response than I was expecting ngl
You're probably right on some points there but
>transmission is baffling
Although it's different to what people are used to it's ridiculously simple, the only thing you have to remember is to keep it in 4th when coasting for the freewheel mechanism
This desu, it's a lovely smell.
Owner says that he worked on it a bit and the engine starts and stops but the brakes are binding (because it probably hasn't been used much), I'll have to see if anything has been omitted because I'd be surprised if the engine was in great condition.
Ah it's an old commie design I don't expect it to be as comfortable with a modern western car. Even classic western cars were quite rough.

I’m surprised no one has shooped this to be an oven

as comfy as*

I would.

And I would run it till it broke apart. If possible and especially with the engine out of whack, polluting as much as possible and doing the biggest racket it could do anywhere I went making everyone else around miserable.

For 1K, I wouldn't think twice.

>daily driving a two stroke
as fun as triggering greentards is, driving this daily will make you poor.

>doing the biggest racket it could do anywhere I went making everyone else around miserable.
Including yourself, which is the biggest problem for this car.
If you want to burn oil, buy an RX-7.

Just remember when driving it that it most likely doesn't have a freewheeling device, so you need to keep your foot on the accelerator so the engine stays lubed.

They do 41mpg apparently lol so
There's a freewheel device installed only on the 4th gear I've read

put sick watanabes on and stance it

I own the worst car in the world (reliant).
Honestly the trabant seems not all that bad, although slower. Build quality is probably much better and it has a decadent extra wheel.

Props for keeping that British hero going

I hope it's yellow and has "Trotters Independent Traders New York - Paris - Peckham" written on it

yupp, freewheel only in 4th for some reason

To reduce wear on the engine I tend to shift into neutral when I'm not accelerating or maintaining speed.
Not very intuitive sometimes since I live in the southern part of germany (which is kinda hilly) and the trabant's drum brakes aren't all that great

If the handbrake is on the rear wheels, use it when going downhills to prevent brake fade on the front wheels. That way you can still stop hopefully. I know this because on the reliant with a single front wheel and drums on every wheel brake fade is bad.

trip confirm you should buy it, trip up and shit post it regularly.