Have you ever lusted after a car for months or years, then when you drove it you realised it was shit?

Have you ever lusted after a car for months or years, then when you drove it you realised it was shit?

i lusted after a car for years, then i drove it and realized it was even more amazing that i thought

no, the car you lusted after though was either genuinely shit or you are a shit driver.

usually its the latter. There are two things in the world that every dude think he can do well and that is Sex and Racing and majority of men are bad at both.

yep
not even the quintessential hot hatch can make FWD fun

subaru wrx hawkeye

kek a remapped 1.9 tdi is probably more fun than the gti

That's not a 205 GTi

The Mk4 GTI was the worst GTI and it was hardly a hot hatch. Too heavy, too cumbersome, to comfort oriented. It didnt even get a special engine, it got an engine that was launched in 1996 and used on lots of VAG cars.

I swear to God I hope this isn't me when I get a longer than 20 minute test drive of a Fiesta ST. Fuck you Ford dealerships, I just want to drive a fun car that I own.

You seriously lusted after a MK4 Golf GTI? The car everyone and their dog said was shit?

Mk3 was worse, although it was lighter and smaller the 2.0l engines just weren't GTI material and the VR6 was a nose-heavy pig.

You ever unemotionally purchase a car out of pragmatism and it turned out to be exactly how you imagined it to be?

t. Toyota Camry

kek

>be me
>work at chateau elan
>win track time at road Atlanta at dumb holiday party raffle
>go to track
>drive for 2 hours
>instructor tells me I’m within seven tenths of the test driver’s time in this particular car
>mfw when my sister died when I was a kid so my parents were super protective of me and I never got to race as a kid

Feels Bateman

I know this man.
>go see 07 wrx
>clean, only mod is an air intake
>good mileage, one owner
>lady bought it when she was 40, just liked sporty looking cars and wanted the awd
>red paint with tan leather interior, exactly how I wanted it
>drive it
>really wanted it. This has been my dream car since racing my brother in gran turismo as a kid.
>rattly plastic every where, ergo designed for japanese sized man, nose heavy as fuck.
>look up maintenance schedule and see all the shit coming up
>walk
don't meet your heroes.

Yeah the interior god, so bad.

The driving position is super high felt like I was in a truck.

Terrbile design to access cluch makes it a bitch.

Understeers everywhere

interior is usually the price of jap sports cars. where as their counterparts are way nicer. its meant to reduce weight as much as possible

also..
>maintenance schedule
what you mean exactly?

car was getting to the age and mileage where it'd be hitting the replacement age on a lot of items.

I also get the interior, I knew what it was and wasn't looking for a bunch of soft touch surfaces and fine leather. I actually prefer hard plastic and cheap carpet over all that lux bullshit. But man, that thing rattled like a mossberg shotgun.

Not the same user, but some cars come with maintenance schedules in their user manual or even online.
I checked it for a Volvo c30 with the 5cyl turbo. It needed to changed the timing chain every 100k. The mileage? 196k. Never hurts to check.

>TIMING CHAIN EVERY 100K
Then what the fuck is the point of using a chain?

Idk ask Ford, it's their engine

2018 wrx sti solves all those issues and that's what im gonna get

It's a timing belt, not chain. Volvo whiteblocks all use belts

>rattly plastic every where
What were you expecting exactly? Subaru's are meant to be rough and shitty.

have fun forking out $40k USD
>swapping out a timing chain/belt every 100k miles (160,000kms) is bad
wot
i was in a 90s era RS Impreza for shopping as a potential car. damn that rattled but to be fair it was lowered to the ground with coilovers, i walked from that.

Imprezas deserve to be dirt rally ride height levels.

Belt sure, chains are supposed to last much longer.

Skyline

>uncomfortable
>gearbox a shit
>seating postition uncomfitable for road trips

You'll race someday bro

Get a 4th gen legacy GT, they're basically a comfortable, slightly larger WRX that isn't a giant rattlebox.

Chains should be lasting for easily twice that mileage. Belts last 100k.

I was the other way around with my wife's car.

She just had to have a Yaris. I hated it. Tiny, underpowered, cheap.
Then I had to borrow it while I had the windshield out on my car and a few panels off to deal with rust... and over a couple days I fell in love with the little shit.
That tiny little engine is peppy in that small chassis. The turning radius is ridiculously tight. The interior, while cheap, feels so comfy. Its... fun!

I still won't admit it to my wife though.

Yeah, a turdgen Camaro and after that a 4th gen Firebird.
They were both terrible shit, never again.

>Zero to 60 mph: 5.3 sec
BAWHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAH

Yep, it does exactly what I need it to.

T. Also Toyota Camry

>elan
How'd you get that gig user? I thought it would be a neat summer job to work at the Sebring one.

This happened to me with a 1994 NSX that I was seriously considering buying.
That car was made for dwarfs.
Had the chance to drive it and it was so uncomfortable, no head room, couldn't even sit properly, I was sprawled the whole time, it was such a shitty experience, I could not focus on how the drive felt or the shifting.

>>For reference: 5'11, 190lbs.

me and my ae86 i imported from japan. vastly overrated. trying to sell it now.

what didn't you like about it

probably because it does 0-60 in 11 seconds and is a soft flimsy econobox

>Firebird
>Not formula or T/A
Well there's your problem
I'll admit that no matter what interior quality is shit but the chassis is decent to start with and the LS1+T56 drivetrain is fantastic

>being fat
>wanting a sports car
Pick one.

RX-8. No further explanation is required

Same with our Kia Soul, bro. I drive it more than my F150 while she’s in boot camp. Is nice

>2000 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 5spd
Somehow drives worse than a Legacy wagon
Feels heavier than cars that weigh the same (Volvos)
No revs, shit shifter

Shit wagon. Shit car.

>I understeer AWD because I don't know what I am doing
You have to feed some power in when cornering to get an AWD car to rotate.

Same. Liked the idea of a high revving little car. Found a guy at work with an RX-8 (on his second engine, lulz) who let me drive it. It's fun when you get north of 7,500 RPM but it takes forever to get there. My scoobaro vape mememachine is way more fun to drive.

I still want to drive a tarbo RX-7 doe.

The low rolling resistance tires that come on the 2011-2015 Chevrolet Volt from the factory are really loud. The noise sounds like thunder from inside on most pavement. It's only really quiet with them from a stop or slow roll.

Ive wanted an FD since i was in high school. A few years ago i got a chance to sit in one and found that I was too tall to fit in it well. It made me sad.

I feel like the only benefit of being a manlet is being able to fit in Japanese cars. I'm only 5'9" so I could probably fit comfortably in an autozam

mate I fucking went hard everywhere in it, it understeers well bad, unlike say the evo vii I drove.

sorry replied to myself

I've wanted an XJR (either X300 or X308) for like a year and a half now, sat in them and stuff, revved one up while it was standing which was sexual, but never drove one. I can't afford one just yet.

How shit will it be when I finally test drive one?

Basically every fast FWD car

Oh whee, a corolla with more torque steer. Every time. You want fun in FWD? Tune the suspension, but forget power. It won't help you. FWD is gimped outside of rally.

Sometimes, you know, you just need to man up and learn how to fucking drive instead. Trying to stick with FWD is like trying to never grow up. As long as you let it limit you, you're never going to be having quite as much fun as you should.

Fuck that shit I drove a Kia Soul for a night, that car is fucking miserable on the highway.

slow
rattling interior
overall low quality

>fwd
>not fun

so basically exactly like an econobox from the 80s?
I'm trying to sell my mk3 supra and get a trueno, not sure if it will be worth it or not

Jeep Wrangler.

Wanted one since I was a kid after seeing them in Jurassic Park.

Sat in one, took it for a test drive. Even with the manual it was a disappointing piece of shit. Steers like garbage, interior is cheap as fuck, tons of rattles and squeaks, and a ton of design flaws like the door hinges...which seem to be designed to rust.

Crap vehicles. I started cross-shopping for something similar and ended up buying an FJ Cruiser. It has some drawbacks too, but build-wise it's an absolute TANK compared to a Wrangler. Plus it shares 4Runner/Tacoma parts, so they'r readily available and not expensive if I do need to fix something.

...what the fuck

>Have you ever lusted after a car for months or years, then when you drove it you realised it was shit?

Sounds like my entire motorcycle history.

even better

Was it a 2007 or newer model?

Heh.

you can't tell that's a dude?
the nose gives him away

First one I drove was a 2005. My dad said "well user you know they refreshed them and they're very different now, we can go to a dealership and TRY a newer one if you want..."

>go to dealership
>drive a 2009
>feels heavy, underpowered, steering imprecise - kind of just wanders all over the place
>ride is harsh as fuck, like a horse cart
>start looking at interior, exterior
>the absolute cheapest plastics used for everything
>gaskets literally glued on instead of using a proper V-channel

They certainly added some comforts to the newer ones, but they're still way below what you get with an FJ Cruiser.

Like I said, I love the look and style of Jeeps. Some day I'll buy an older CJ-5 and just have it as a summer toy. But as a daily driver, and especially as my only vehicle, it really doesn't fit the bill at all. It has fuck all storage space in it too, even the FJ has a ton of space behind the rear seat, which can be folded down to get a perfectly smooth plastic base for sliding stuff in and out.

Honestly this thread is about disappointment, and I was totally disappointed in Jeep. My parents had a 2016 Grand Cherokee as a rental for a few months, and that just confirmed my suspicion that FCA doesn't give a fuck about making things better.

google says you gay

what bikes bb

Originally I had a budget of like $40k to buy a V8 RWD/AWD Car.

I was looking at a 6.2L C63 AMG, Charger/Challenger SRT8, Mustang GT,

C63 AMG I was most excited for then I drove one. Under 60mph if you give it a ton of throttle it just spins the tires. If you don't give it enough throttle it won't down change gears. So you have to drive in manual mode. Whats the point just give me a proper manual then.

6.1L Charger SRT8 5-sp Auto. It felt like a quick pickup or SUV. It was pretty slow.

Mustang GT. I actually bought this one. 2011 GT Track Pack. It felt the quickest day to day out of all of them. It doesn't have the torque I want down low but it still feels quick. It does spin the tires like the C63 but it will eventually hook and go in third or fourth. The Manual just makes it better in the city compared to the Auto in the benz.

Camaro interior is just so shit. It looks Better than the Mustang, but the layout is awful. I liked the torque but thats about it.

Mitsubishi Eclipse

yes, pic related

this unrelenting letdown sums it up completely

I don’t think you need to be an effeminate skeleton to want a sports car

Could audibly hear the sound of crushed dreams during the test drive

I agree, I didn't really care for my SW either. I see why they're so cheap now.

Their handling is muted by design.
Try a one of the famous honda rattlecans like an integra gsr. It's a lot more fun.

FWD has its purpose, and it fits its purpose to a tee, like you said about rally, a FWD is not about going fast in a straight line, it's about carrying speed through turns. Find the right sort of winding roads, and you can have as much fun in a FWD than anything else at taking turns at speed, if not more so. RWD with with welded diff will always be the daddy though for pure enjoyment overall.

>tfw that's your exact car

94-96 Impala SS. About 5 or 6 years ago I owned a 08 Impala SS as a DD and everyone woud give me shit about how it wasn't a real Impala because fwd. Looked into them for awhile and finally decided to go test drive one at a local used car lot and it was pretty awful. Suspension was way too soft and the engine was a massive turd. Might be a decent highway cruiser, but certainly not this legendary muscle car that everyone likes to make them seem like. That thing would have a hard time even beating a sporty SUV nowadays.

I had the completely opposite experience

I tried a brand new wrangler only to find that the interior was overly fancy and that it drove like the cushy mall crawler it was clearly optioned out to be, and I didn't realize until sitting behind the hood but that shit is fucking LOOONG

details?

>lusted after Porsche 928 S4
>saw one at a used car lot
>parked and went over to look at it
>actually seeing one in person instead of from a poster made me realize how old this car was and it didn't age very well.
>decided I didn't even want to test drive and went back to my car and haven't thought about that car since.

It won't be shit. It's a comfy luxurious saloon, with a nice engine. Beware of the electricals, because being better than the XJ40 and its gremlins doesn't mean the electrical seats won't fuck up.
Also the ceiling carpet seems to have been put like a stamp, with only saliva as glue. Tires are goddamn huge and expensive, bumpers are expensive, and AC is fucking exepensive.

Are SW20 really a disappointment ?!?

I was optimistic in seeing Acura's P-AWS and SHAWD in action. Wondered what it had to offer that Infiniti and Lexus didn't have.
It was shit...

I lusted for a cobra mustang since I knew what cars were.
Turns out its a piece of dog shit.
I also had lusted for lincoln mark vii.
Turns out it isnt a piece of dogshit

When in doubt, foxbody.

colleague owned one for a year, used. electricity fucked up so bad the entire dashboard stopped working. he sold it right away. but when it works it's a stylish ride.

Her name is Poisonne.

yes, it is called my ex girlfriend

Test drove this after all the hype. $50k for a Kia. meh

Yes.

t. Toyota Corolla

Chains last forever but do stretch over time. For optimal performance changing it at 100k miles is not a bad idea. It is just not critical like a belt driven cam interference engine would be.

Jeeps are shit on road. Gotta go off road to appreciate them. If you are getting a keep for the daily commute, you'll hate it.

I could have told you that without the test drive, dumbass.

every muscle car when making a turn?

if you expect them to be good, yes.

I'm approaching a year of ownership so far and while it's not really "fast" by any stretch it feels great and the steering and handling are responsive and sharp, and the gearbox is slick and nice, mostly. It's a real good deal, and there is potential with some bolt ons for an incremental power gain if you wanted it.

E30 325i, I was so fucking exited but in the test drive I realized it was both slow and handled like shit, my humble '14 Focus SE was both faster and handled better in the twisties. Maybe good tires would have changed how the car felt, I think it had some shitty Chinese tires on.

>Her name is Poisonne.
>Her
Son I need to explain something about the scary world out there

haven't got that far yet

Is it fun to throw around corners?

I get immense satisfaction when someone is tailgating me and we take a corner and they're far in the mirror for about 3 seconds

great feel