Talk me out of getting a v6 Mustang 2005-2009

Talk me out of getting a v6 Mustang 2005-2009

It would be my first car, I have around 8k and want something that won't cost me much each year but doesn't look like a civic. How bad of an idea is a v6 mustang Veeky Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/d/reduced-2007-mustang-gt-for/6387703240.html
sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/1966-ford-mustang/6451412163.html
sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/mustang/6449228798.html
sacramento.craigslist.org/ctd/d/2005-ford-mustang-gt-deluxe/6432673562.html
sacramento.craigslist.org/ctd/d/2005-ford-mustang-gt-deluxe/6448228682.html
stockton.craigslist.org/ctd/d/2006-ford-mustang-convertible/6452193881.html
sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ctd/d/2010-ford-mustang-gt/6436268525.html
sacramento.craigslist.org/ctd/d/2008-ford-mustang-v6-1-owner/6457261463.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What do you want the car for?

It's fine if you want a DD, but a GT is within your budget of 8k while giving you 100 extra hp.

Mostly just going to the gym and school, I don't leave the house too often.

Being able to take small road trips would be nice but not needed. I think the V8 is in my price range but I'm not sure how much use I'd get out of the V8 if that makes sense.

Are they somewhat reliable? I just don't want to have to put like 2k a year into it

boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/d/reduced-2007-mustang-gt-for/6387703240.html

Get a GT man. Save up a little more. The 4.0 v6 in those year mustangs are bad.

Are convertibles bad? There is some pretty decent GT convertibles in my area (California)

I have a 2001 v6 and I like it just fine. Keep in mind that your insurance is going to have you paying "sportscar" rates on something that isn't even 200 hp. That being said it isn't that much more, so if cost isn't a big issue I'd say go for it.

I cannot speak for the reliability of the engine as I have never had a car with that engine but is probably right. You could spend a little more for alot more quality and will likely enjoy your purchase alot more, plus it helps keep your resale value a little higher.

Thanks user, I'll look into just getting the GT.

Rough, thanks for the info though

Nothing wrong with convertibles, it's up to you if you want a vert. Personally I'm a hardtop person. Please, for the love of God, do not get a V6 vert.

Is the V8 more reliable than the V6 for those years?

Get a used hybrid, paying gas for a v8 mustang driving to gym and school is stupid, v6 is pointless and still gets poor economy. The fact it is obvious you dont give a shit about driving means you ahouls just get somehing easy on fuel. I wish i got 45mpg in a fucking prius vs driving my v6 truck around at 15-16mpg. I baaically only drive to gym and long routes around town for fun and it is stupid how much gas i use.

Yes. Alot more reliable. That 4.6 liter was put into EVERYTHING FORd made. During those years

Why would he drive a boring piece of shit though?

Pretty much summed up how I feel user.

I appreciate the advice user but it just seems depressing. Prius makes me feel like I'm settling in life.
Ahh, alright well that makes me way more interested in the GT then
Same, hard tops look so much better but theres so many convertibles in my area. Maybe I just need to wait

its not really a bad engine, just lame. 210hp on a good day from a 4.0 V6 is poor performance by today's standards but the Cologne V6 is a very solid engine that will give you very few problems.

i have a 2006 V6 Mustang with 65,000 miles on it and have had very few problems in the 3 years ive owned it. mechanically its perfect, the only thing that needed replacing was the alternator, battery and serpentine belt, plus changing the coolant, rear dif. fluid, transmission fluid, brake fluid and regular oil changes with full synthetic every 5000 miles.

if you do buy a S197 remember to clean out the drains the bottom of the doors and in the firewall drains underneath the windshield wipers, those fill up with crap easily and your firewall will fill with water and leak into the cabin air filter and flood your passenger foot well.

I would rather have an SN-95 GT over a S197 V6

if you have 8k then get something better than a mustang, id say get a nissan 350z, they handle better and are much faster

also fuel millage is pretty poor, even with a lot of highway time i doubt it every breaks 20mpg, every time ive calculated it i get something just under 18mpg.

I was in the same boat as you. If you're set on a mustang hold out for a well-kept foxbody for under about $1-2k under your budget (which is rare). Fuck the SN-95 and later. Ugly little shits

I decided to ditch the mustang all together, looking for an older 3 or 5 series bimmer now. E36 is hella dope if you can find an interior that isn't ragged out (and I just did)

Oh and don't get a V6. Foxbody or not.

>muh Foxbody

the man wants to DD a 10 year old car not wrench on a 30 year old heap of shit.

Sorry user, not a big fan of the foxbody.

The 2005-2009 looks like the older mustangs which I really like.
I went and saw this today but don't think it could be a daily driver

sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/1966-ford-mustang/6451412163.html

you're going to regret it, do it.

Thats exactly what I'm thinking user

I'm hoping I can get a GT but not sure if it's worth getting a shitty GT vs a really nice v6

Drive both. Honestly the V6 has huge NVH issues compared to the V8. The V8 is a much smother, more powerful and more reliable engine. It also has a better rear axle (8.8 w/ LSD vs 7.5 w/ open diff), better suspension, better brakes and virtually the same fuel economy. Not to mention better resale.

10 years is still pretty old, why not just go all the way?
Yeah after the 99-04 things started to pick up, I like the retro styling but just not as much as the foxbody. I was wrong to call it shit.

I'd have to agree with you that's not a great daily, even if you ignore stuff like modern safety standards. The one you linked definitely has a much more cool factor to it but if you're considering a ≈10 year old vehicle then a '66 will be infinitely more of a nightmare than anything 80s/90s. Also please get a manual, I guarantee it'll be infinitely better and more fun.

I had a 2005 V6, fun car and it sounds good with an exhaust. I figure everything would be better with the GT though

Here, I checked out the commiefornia craigslist and found something low mileage for you and around your budget. If you can deal with red then go for it. Be responsible, but it's better to take the risk of wrapping yourself around a tree with a V8 than to neuter yourself with a V6. Godspeed user.
sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/mustang/6449228798.html

Wait I was being stupid, set a 100k mileage cap. Here's a few more.
>2005 grey V8
sacramento.craigslist.org/ctd/d/2005-ford-mustang-gt-deluxe/6432673562.html
>2005 light blue V8
sacramento.craigslist.org/ctd/d/2005-ford-mustang-gt-deluxe/6448228682.html
>2006 grey convertible V8
stockton.craigslist.org/ctd/d/2006-ford-mustang-convertible/6452193881.html
>2010 dark blue V8
sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ctd/d/2010-ford-mustang-gt/6436268525.html
just beware dealers and you're gtg

Don't get a shitty GT. If the pickings are slim, wait a bit, or maybe consider a 99-04 GT in good condition.

Shit engine that makes 10hp more than a 4cyl, guzzles gas, sorority girl special car, heavy, interior is awful. With 8k you could get a 350z

That '10 is easily the most desirable. More power, updated suspension and updated interior.

>sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ctd/d/2010-ford-mustang-gt/6436268525.html
Thanks so much user, I appreciate it.

Any advice for avoiding a shitty dealer? Sometimes I google the dealer and they have 1-2 stars and 8 reviews. How do I not get fucked?

>210hp on a good day from a 4.0 V6
that's like 5hp less than the 4.6L v8, what the fuck ford

OP here, I was looking at this earlier but it seems overpriced. Just thought it seemed pretty clean

sacramento.craigslist.org/ctd/d/2008-ford-mustang-v6-1-owner/6457261463.html

litterally the uglyest generation of mustang
get the previous gen

inb4 muh retro throwback styling

That's like 5hp less than the bottom rung V8 from 1996.

this nigga gets it

yeah but they kept using the 4.6 until 2011

No, and no
fuck you, the Sn-95's are still light with a superior foxbody chassis, compared to the new edges which did nothing but gain weight and get wider. The HP increase is nice but you can literally get that same increase + some on the sn95 with a simple head and intake swap

I wouldn't trust reviews, I checked a car out at a 2 star dealer like two weeks ago and the people were perfectly pleasant. Not rude like Google reviewers claimed. Yeah most of the cars there were all shit but that just makes it seem to me like the buyers were stupid fucks that financed lemons. It entirely depends on the type of people you're dealing with too, he could've snaked me later on.

Know the car you're buying and you control the game. If you don't know how to inspect a car yourself like me, get a PPI (pre purchase inspection) for $100 something. It goes a LONG LONG LONG way. Go in assuming everything they tell you is a lie and don't sweat it. Buying a car is fun.

Lastly even if you think you're getting a good price don't be afraid to haggle, unless the seller makes it clear from the get-go that price isn't negotiable. Give reasons for why you feel the price should be X amount instead. Try and get that 2010 for $8k and if not I'm sure he'll meet you in the middle.

This all applies to private sellers too, it's just that dealers and car salesmen are stereotypically dicks.
Yea I'd pass on that considering it's V6, real clean though. I've noticed you're linking a bunch of autotragics. Just letting you know in case you're not aware that the blue 2010 is manual.
t. gets custom licence plate ESS-N95 and thinks he's clever

OP, think you can have a v6 P.O.S ""mustang"" pic related, or an amazing SN95 or New Edge, in the following picks

Damn man, you answered the fuck out of all my questions.

Hope you have a good day user

The SOHC version was updated in '98, '99, '05 and again in '10 getting increases to 225hp 285tq, 260hp 302tq, 300hp 320tq and 315hp 325tq respectively.

It came a pretty far way from the 180hp single exhaust version in the Panther where it debuted.

But even in '96 the DOHC 4.6L made 305hp and 300tq.

lets not forget the Cobra in 96 only weighed a little over 3100lbs. Thats some real get up and go with a stock 305hp

No problem. I'm bored and 90% of my posts on here are just "will this make a good first car [insert craigslist ad]" so I figured I'd give back to someone in a similar situation. I don't have a car either lol

As far as engine goes, I have an explorer with the 4.6. 185k miles on the clock. I have had to put a tensioner & belt on it, and ignition coils.

The most reliable drivetrain is going to be a sn-95 with the 302 & a 4r70 though.

Please be bait

You should mention there's a sizable difference between the 2v SOHC in the Panthers and the 3v SOHC the Mustang got in '05, and even then I've got some doubts regarding Ford's power ratings for years where the F150, Mustang, and Panther all have the same 2v but wildly different power ratings that go beyond what you'd expect from a simple computer retune when they've all got the same pig-iron block and PI heads.

meanwhile my 1997 ls1 made 240rwkw without breaking a sweat

most civics drive and look better than 05-09 mustangs... and a whole bunch of other cars are way cheaper and way more reliable. But if you like how these look, sure get one. Don't bother with the v8 if all you're doing is commuting to school and the gym-- performance doesnt seem to be part of that equation.

OP here, looks like I can somewhat afford a 2010.

Is a V6 2010 that much better than the 05-09 models?

You dont like the look of these mustangs?
Civics depress me user, I've always fucking hated them

Also I think you might be right, I just need to research if thee V8 car is overall just a better car because of better brakes etc

If you like these years. With your money you can buy a sub 100k cobra. Not a supercharged one though.

Am I understanding this wrong, you're saying I could afford a 05-09 Cobra with less than 100k miles on it for 9k?

There are no 05-09 cobras.
Its 94-04. By "these years" I assumed you would have known. Sorry.

Oh sorry user, just got back from the gym and whenever I dead lift I feel retarded for about 4 hours

pretty sure im not breathing correctly

Because he is considering buying a V6 Mustang

Why does the V8 have better brakes?

More power needs more stopping force