/CCG/ - Classic Car General

/CCG/ - Classic Car General

Brought to you in part by:
Butt Dynos - "It Just Feels Faster™"
In association with:
Close Enough Engineering - "It's Probably OK™"

Generic copy/pasta incoming:

>Cars are considered classic at 25 years old, but a vehicle really needs that certain something, to be classic.

>Everybody has their own taste, enter if it's of age or rarity.

>Post your classic, your work on it, your hackery, and get advice.

>Any and all discussion about classics welcome, but may not necessarily generate responses, don't get butthurt.

>Any and all classics welcome regardless of nationality.

>Performance > Cosmetics

>Classic shitbox > modern shitbox.

>It's perfectly fine to use RTV. Ignore the haters.

>If you see rust there is probably more

>You will inevitably spend twice your budget, no exceptions unless you mint your own hash coins.

Other urls found in this thread:

jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/d/1985-camaro-z28/6459481834.html
gulfport.craigslist.org/cto/d/73-duster-special-edition/6452179282.html
ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Dodge-Plymouth-A-body-A-833-OD-overdrive-transmission-/322997437011
mobile.craigslist.org/cto/d/1974-ford-maverick/6456063630.html
mobile.craigslist.org/cto/d/amc-gremlin/6451621565.html
gulfport.craigslist.org/cto/d/1968-mustang/6459662700.html
hartford.craigslist.org/cto/d/1968-rambler-american-movie/6459410909.html
mobile.craigslist.org/cto/d/1967-american-rambler/6411000129.html
phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/d/1950-packard-rare-gold/6459658373.html
sierravista.craigslist.org/cto/d/datsun-300zx-turbo/6448145181.html
youtube.com/watch?v=-UfsEj7AOGI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

first

Fugg off

Technically I was first since, well, i started the thread.
:3

Have any of you guys set up differentials before? Done any crush sleeve eliminators?

bump

How do you get a car that doesn't run onto a trailer if I bought something off craigslist? There's no way you could just push it up, and there's nothing I have to tow it up

get a come along and a chain thats atleast as long as the trailer

or mount a 2500lb harbor freight winch on the nose

Man, if yall thought cl was bad, try classic car selling groups on fb.

>i know whats i gots
>i knows what you gots
>arguing over what year you have
>useless comments like "i had a different year"
>ALL CAPS
>trying to trade anything
>for some reason theyll comment "next!"

Get a chain hand winch thats rated for over 4000 pounds,

Give me one reason why this shouldn't be my first car
jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/d/1985-camaro-z28/6459481834.html

Almost 6k for a third gen is kinda nuts, and it has a targa top, they leak like crazy.
If you want a third gen try and get the Pontiac body kit.

That being said I do like the paint color.

Its not worth the asking price.

I have to disagree man I had a 3rd gen bird and I always regretted not getting the camaro. Once the novelty of popups wears off I liked the camaro front way more

And also yea dude that's pretty steep for a turd gen. Ask him about the engine if that's a stock smog era 350 then fuck no

Took the dart out on a 150 mile cruise along the coast. Stopped at a battleship, grabbed a beer, and went to the beach. Ran awesome the entire time.

Ended up buying this 6 inch cowl bolt on fiberglass hood. After measuring my air cleaner and checking the dimensions this *should* fit. If not I'll modify it. Drove the camaro around town and to the barbershop today, tons of power super fun to punch it

gulfport.craigslist.org/cto/d/73-duster-special-edition/6452179282.html

Thought id post something cool, but a bit gaudy.

I fucking HATE boomers

People like this need to be lined up on a wall and shot.
For one I call bullshit on the rarity of that monstrosity and even if it was rare once he replaced all the original engine components (as well as others) its worthless.
Those wheels and tires are absolutely worthless and look like trash, and a paintjob done by Satan.

Looking at those cars just makes me mad.

my friends have both from the same year, the GTA is 1000% cooler, but hey thats just my opinion, same car ether way. .

They're Billet Specialties. I wanted them for my car but now I don't.

>this is one of 7 hugger orange with white vinyl top, 3 speed auto, base 6 cylinder, enhanced ashtray, no A/C, brown carpet cars to exist!
>vehicle has been painted white, 350 SBC + T56 6 speed swapped, vintage air A/C and custom white/red two tone Foose interior!

Avoid the Boyd

Should I got for this with the Valiant? It's only 3 hours away. ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Dodge-Plymouth-A-body-A-833-OD-overdrive-transmission-/322997437011

Holy shit, $5800, that guy is fucking nuts. I'd say $4K max and that would be pushing it. 3500 would be ideal territory for a 3rd gen.

>third gen
The E30 was the second generation of the 3 series, after the E21. You obviously don't know what you're talking about. I feel that $4-4.5k is fair but still going to try to get it for $5k.

I want you vermin to leave.

Wait, what?

Third gen CAMARO, not BMW.

lmao, check yourself before you wreck yourself m80

I thought I was replying to something else. Still I want you niggers gone

@18513197
@18513268
You're the odd one out in this thread, bucko.

Bait or retard, either way fuck off.

No I'm seriously

Die

Post your classic faggot

For some reason they decided to salt the parking garage, and the salty water is dripping on my car from cracks in the ceiling. Now I need to buy a tarp for a car in a garage....

Is this a retarded assumption? if I just changed from a wide diameter open air filter element air cleaner on a quadrajet to an oem closed and smaller air cleaner assembly with a snorkel, will my idle air fuel circuit now be too rich? Cuz the mixtures off right? There's less cold air flowing

who in their right mind salts a fucking garage.

There is an alleged barn find Ford EXP near me for a few hundred bucks. Would I be a total idiot for checking it out? I think they're cool.

mobile.craigslist.org/cto/d/1974-ford-maverick/6456063630.html
>4 door
>nig rims
>bonded title
> $7200

mobile.craigslist.org/cto/d/amc-gremlin/6451621565.html
>gremlin
>9500
>will make auto for 12k

gulfport.craigslist.org/cto/d/1968-mustang/6459662700.html
>I6
>sat for over a decade
>5500
Not inherently a bad deal since its mostly rust free and an old restoration
>needs a new trans
Oh... nvm.

What laughable shit do you have on your classic cl?

5.3 is still at machine shop, I bought a t56 for $1200. Have all the mounts ready to bolt up, manual pedals are installed. Doing fuel system right now.

All that for a turd gen?

Yep

Anybody got a screen cap of what that tard said? Or the gist of it. Apparently he was ashamed enough to delete it.

Will rust develop in your doors if you go without weatherstripping for a while.

Well guys I hooked up the thermastic air cleaner to intake manifold vacuum and after driving the car for like 20 minutes it warmed up enough to wear the flap finally opened so that's good news

Now onto the bad

Checked the oil this morning and it looked a tad bit contaminated just a tiny bit milky. But then after warming up and driving around it was back to being crystal clear? Should I be worried that it's a new leak or do u think it's condensation from overnight (car has no hood) or residual coolant from my previous intake manifold leak? I changed the oil like 4 times after cleaning up the manifold and crank case and replacing intake gaskets.

Once the car was at propper temp of like 190-200 the oil was it's clean normal color but with the pcv and breather off both valve covers I had steady whitish just coming from both sides. Coolant level appears to be normal. Is that just what blowby looks like

Should mention I drove it yesterday too and checked the oil before and after and it looked fine

Supercharged 79 camaro with sbc 350, forgot to mention too

How do i tell the amount of miles on a car with an odometer that doesnt go to 100k? According to the owner, its been sitting since the 80's and the odometer reads 20,800

its probably 120k. You'll never really know. Most people used to park cars before they hit 150k.

Kek, drac delivers

Not really the doors, but the inside of your car is going to wet and rust. You're talking about the door/body strip right? Or the window strip?

Were you checking the cap or the dipstick? If the cap, don't worry condensation gathers there. If the dipstick, yeah you probably have a small leak. Either head gasket or crack somewhere probably. It could just be enough for a little to collect in the oil on a short drive or when parked then when you take it on a longer drive and get it, the leak seals back up when its hot and expand and then it gets burned out of the oil.

Typically old classics have only been rolled over once. Look at the shape of the ca, might be able to deduce from that but no, there's no exact way to tell. But on cars that old does it really even matter? Hell the cluster could have been swapped might not even be showing correct miles.

door/body strip

I don't have an oil cap I have a pcv and a breather tube to the carb. I checked there and the dipstick tube. Fuck u got me psyched out now. I'm hoping it's just residual coolant from my failed intake manifold gasket. The first time I changed the intake manifold gasket the gasket failed immediately and filled the whole crank case with coolant. I drained like 2 gallons of milkshake out of a normally 5 quart oil pan. Fixed the gasket added oil ran again and drained out another 7 quarts of less milky milkshake. Added oil again ran it and drained out 5 quarts of oil with a little antifreeze in it. Drained and topped up again and that's where I was at today. Changed the filter everytime too. I'm hoping it's just a little coolant I couldn't get out after all the flushes. Each time I flushed it the dipstick looked clean despite there still being small amounts of coolant in the oil when I drained it out l.

I'm gonna remove the carb and supercharger and re torque my intake manifold bolts and then change the oil probably with motorflush and hope for the best. The engine is less than 3 years old since a complete rebuild and I only weekend drive it. Cast iron gen 1 small block with brand new Torquer heads. I don't think it would have a crack or bad gasket just yet but yea I'm just hoping at this point

In that case, it's highly possible its residual. Before you do all that, might try draining it one last time and I mean really let it drain. For like 2 or 3 days. You would be surprised how much more drains over that time, you'll get and extra half a quart out.

How are you lads coping with the current apocalyptic levels of snow and ice here on the east coast?

By living in the dirty south.

Minus the flames, dart goals

Dang really? I let it drain like an hour an thought that was good enough. I'll get the current oil nice and hot again then drain it and change filter let sit overnight then the next day fill it up with clean oil and a quart of motorflush cold for max oil pressure run it for 5 minutes and then put in clean oil and new filter again. It's 4 bolts to remove the carb an supercharged together as an assembly I figure it's worth the insurance just to re torque the manifold bolts real quick. I read online I guess most people recommend a re torque

Good news though I got off the phone with the cowl hood people and they said the scoop is 29 inches wide and 6 inches tall which is perfect for my stock air cleaner. So now I'm gonna have a 6 inch fiberglass cowl hood and I already have the front lip on my camaro. What's your guys thoughts on rear window lovers?

I like them, theyll look good if you ever paint it.

What are the tallest tires for a 14" rim that are pretty common? I was hoping a 235/75/14, but i guess i was wrong again. Or should i just bite the bullet and get 15s to put tires on?

The louvers would look a little cheesey imo. 2bubba4me

If its that easy, yeah that's worth a retorque.

And yes, that much more comes out. Saturday night when I left work, I put a QX80 on my lift and drained the oil in preparation to do a timing cover reseal on today. When it came to a drizzle, I put the plug back in. Came in this morning, pulled the plug again and at least another half a quart came out, maybe more that.

I'm a Little more calm down about it now after taking a breather and thinking rationally about it. I haven't driven the car for long distances since I replaced the gasket and flushed the coolant out of the crank case so its entirely possible it's residual coolant. It ran well felt strong as fuck and pulled good while I was driving it.

Worst case scenario and I'm talking absolute worst I can get a 360 horsepower 400ft lb torque 383 stroker with 9:2:1 compression for 3k and swap that In and supercharge that.

I forgot how dirt cheap gen 1 small blocks are like for reals man. I was expecting a bill of like 6k just for a new stock engine like modern cars.

Its just the fucking 15 degree days that suck.

Help me prioritize here.

>4spd trans:
$150 + install + drive shaft; dont need it, but a want.
>2bl carb + intake
$125 + rebuild; want, but will help performance +mpg
>cam
$250 + install; want
>paint + stripe
$12-1500; need for wedding, but needs some body work 1st
>powder coat rims + taller tires in rear
$200 (?); will really help look, but all tires are still good.
>stereo system
$400; will make driving much more enjoyable
>proper exhaust
$300; dont really need it, but kinda do.

Obviously paint and body will be a priority, but what else should i look into investing in?

V8 swap it
Before you even start thinking about this you need an entire comprehensive build sheet on what you want to change.
If you want to keep the slant 6 then look up other build sheets to get ideas.

He’ll just become the new kit kat. It’ll take him two years just to buy a block and then he’ll just fall off the face of the earth

Keeping the slant 6. Maybe years from now ill swap it.

>tfw i basically have one given 2 me for free with a 350 swap, but sans wiring and fuel

its clear across the country and idk what the fuck ill probably do with it when i eventually collect it

I dont want this thingggggg

>implying you’ll keep this car for even 6 months

Yeah man I think you're probably okay. Just do the flush one more time and let it drain for a day or two. Then take it on a nice long drive and get that engine cooking hot, it'll burn the moisture out of it.

Won't really cause the doors to rust but your interior will get wet and rot the fuck out.

Man, where is kitkat now that you mention it. Did he get aids or something?

You could just sell it?

I'll take breh. Sometimes I wish I was born 8 years earlier. So many cars I love were dirt cheap back then but I was a broke college student at that time. I remember looking at a third gen camaro in 2010. Running, driving, fully put together for $1500. It had the 305 but I didn't have the money for three cars.

Pic related, was the interior of that car.

He finally OD'd on coke

Did he actually do coke or any other drugs?

He did lots of drugs. I'm not privy to which ones though.

I'm hoping so. The white smoke or blowby past the rings or whatever it was that was coming from my valve covers is sketching me out a little bit. Hoping that was just moisture burning off. If not though like is said, 3k for a 383 stroker with forged rods a steel crank and 5 year warranty doesn't sound super bad

Thoughts?

hartford.craigslist.org/cto/d/1968-rambler-american-movie/6459410909.html

Super crusty, 4 door, 6 cyl, "prop car" (probably a back ground car), cracked dash... at least its under 2k... should be less than that, and AMC so bitch to find parts for. Hard pass. If you want one, there is a fully restored one with a V8, 2 door, just needs trans put back in, for $3500.

mobile.craigslist.org/cto/d/1967-american-rambler/6411000129.html

Best rambler coming through

In all seriousness that car has nothing going for it.

Hey Dracula:
phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/d/1950-packard-rare-gold/6459658373.html

should this be my first project car?
sierravista.craigslist.org/cto/d/datsun-300zx-turbo/6448145181.html

also
>fwd
is that even possible?

>inside is clean
>no puctures of the inside
Bruh

Were packards luxury cars bank in the day or just commuters?

I've heard several times people refer to them like they were sought after, or desirable cars to have.

>outside is ruff

In their heyday, they were the American equivalent of Rolls Royce; once the finest car in America.

See, if I were SMART, I would buy that car and get rid of mine; but, if I do that it will wind up on the scrap-heap and, whenever I think of that, it reminds me of that scene that still haunts my nightmares from "The Brave Little Toaster."

What scene is that?

The one in the junkyard.

youtube.com/watch?v=-UfsEj7AOGI
Now im depressed

>18506542

Shit, the photo was upright on the phone

Dammit it was two arrows, not one.

I noticed that an aftermaret radiator with an electric fan costs around $1,000 while a standalone radiator costs around $600. The engine im building isnt stupidly modified its a custom built dual carb 454 and my goal is to get 500 HP from it. Would a mechanical fan and an aftermarket radiator be enough to cool it or am i going to have to get an electric one.

Where are you seeing these prices? Is this a race car for the Mojave desert? Most ive ever paid for a radiator (granted it was just oem, not an alluminiun) was like $150. You should be able to get a radiator and electric fans for under $400, even if you want to splurge.

Wow that's depressing. Don't think I ever saw the original, but I saw the second movie like 20 years ago.

Alright, i just figured that since its a slightly modified big block that id need better cooling so i was looking at performance cross flow radiators on carid.

Are you SC camaro guy?

What are you intending on using the car for? It would be a wise idea to upgrade on the cooling system, but 1 grand is outrageous for a radiator and electric fans

Its a 69 impala. No particular purpose for it, i plan it drive it regularly and do some drag racing with it occasionally

Pics

A regular radiator and some electric fans will be more than good for that.

I dont have any pics of the whole car because the snow. I posted about it a while back asking about what a good price would be and since then the junkyard owner told me to wait until spring and hell give it to me for a couple hundred dollars. Appearently hes trying to get rid of all the junk thats just wasting space and hes not a fan of classics so he doesnt really care about it