It's here!

Ford revealed the 2019 Ranger last night.
caranddriver.com/news/ford-ranger-returns-for-2019-news
ford.com/trucks/ranger/2019/?intcmp=bb-fv-home-none-fv-vhp-ranger-180114
>A fully boxed ladder frame with six crossmembers constitutes the backbone of the Ranger. Ford tells us that although the new truck’s frame appears to be a near doppelgänger of the frame of the overseas Ranger, a side-by-side inspection reveals that it has been configured specifically for stateside duty. Significantly for the domestic market, the frame has been modified to provide a sturdy mounting location for the front and rear steel bumpers. An integrated trailer-hitch receiver is available as an option.
>Sitting atop the frame is a mostly steel body with an aluminum hood and tailgate. Comprehensively tweaked for tighter and more consistent panel gaps than in the global version, it sports a refreshed fascia and lighting elements. Short overhangs front and rear were specified to ensure good approach and departure angles. Monotube dampers reside at all four corners, with a control-arm front suspension and a live-axle setup at the rear.
>Ford is keeping things simple in the powertrain department, offering a 2.3-liter EcoBoost inline-four mated to a 10-speed automatic as the sole powertrain. Featuring a forged crankshaft and connecting rods and a double-roller timing chain, the aluminum 2.3-liter has been beefed up for truck duty. While Ford hasn’t yet revealed any output figures, it’s no secret that the Ranger’s 2.3-liter is closely related to the 280-hp 2.3-liter in the current Explorer and a shirttail relative to the 310-hp version that lives under the hood of the Mustang. Based on that, we figure it will land at somewhere around 300 horsepower and 350 lb-ft of torque in the Ranger.

>The 10-speed automatic transmission employs essentially the same components as that in the F-150 but uses a smaller case to fit the Ranger’s slightly smaller footprint. The Ranger will be available in both two- and four-wheel-drive configurations. The latter has a shift-on-the-fly two-speed transfer case to provide 2 High, 4 High, and 4 Low capability. Dana Trac-Lock differentials reside in the rear axles of both two- and four-wheel-drive versions; an electronically locking rear diff is optional—and standard on the FX4 and FX2 models.
>The FX2 (two-wheel-drive) and FX4 (four-wheel-drive) off-road versions get the aforementioned E-locker as standard, as well as other goodies including all-terrain tires, dampers tuned for off-road activity, a steel front bash plate, steel skid plates, and, of course, FX badging. Although tuned for more adventurous activities, the FX models have a ride height that remains the same, as Ford engineered the entire Ranger lineup to qualify as “high riders.”
>Available in both SuperCab and SuperCrew configurations, the truck has a trim-level hierarchy that will seem familiar to anyone who follows Ford trucks: XL is the entry point, XLT is mid-level, and Lariat is the high-luxe version. Additionally, Chrome and Sport appearance packages will be available. The Ranger will launch with eight exterior color options and eight different wheel designs in 17- and 18-inch sizes. LED headlights and taillamps are on the options list, as are puddle lamps, cargo lighting, and Ford’s Smart Trailer tow connecter that alerts drivers to sketchy trailer-wiring issues.

>automatic only

I was interested, now i'm not.

inb4 auto is better in every way on paper.

looks boring, just like the new fiesta

I'm disappointed that it doesn't come in regular cab. I didn't expect either, though. I'm pleasantly surprised that it is body-on-frame.

Something that is constantly ignored is the ability for a manual truck to engine brake downhill while towing (diesels need a jake or exhaust brake of some sort).

Yes on steep slopes I still need to brakes but instead of pressing hard it is more of a gentle push if I am engine braking. If you do it you also have to get over the sound of an engine spinning in low gear at high rpm though.

Then again most people don't actually tow (or carry a payload) any weight of note. Just like 90+% of people with 4wd never actually use it.

Very disappointed.

It's just another fat-ass full size truck with an autotragic transmission.

Garbage. Trucks will always be shit until they repeal CAFE.

best looking truck ever

That is another thing. What happened to a 1/4-ton actually being a 1/4-ton truck size?

Hell the new F-150 is the size of a 3rd gen Ram 2500.

>muh manual
>muh single cab
Ford is going on a limb here trying to bring back a "small" pickup. They are designing it to be attractive to as many people as possible. The age of the simple pickup is dead, the market doesn't want one anymore.

bleh... i'm curious on what the Ranger Raptor has to offer... a 2.3L twin turbo ecoboost engine?

it's a 'leisure truck' like the tacoma

I blame rednecks that like the idea of a pickup but would truly rather drive an Escalade.

Oh wow, it looks exactly like the international model they've had for years. What a "reveal".

but with steel bumpers.

I've been in suburbia and the country. Never seen regular cab F-150 shortbeds in suburbia. Not as many pavement queens in the country.

>I blame rednecks
I'm sure it's a habit.

>wanting manuel on a fucking truck
r/circlejerk-tier MUH MANUAL IS BETTER lmfao

Well at least the Tacoma still offers a manual transmission.

>MUH MANUAL IS BETTER

It IS though

Loo why do they make better cars in other countries?

Its not at all

99% of automatics let you select a gear manually if you want, even the column shifters

not on a fucking truck it isn't
there's many other scenarios where a manual transmission is retarded
literal busrider parroting Veeky Forums memes

This is dogshit, many automatics already do this automatically lol. Even then on my F250 it has a manual gear selector right in the shifter, its a little dial that lets me go up and down the gears.

No manufacturer is brave enough to put a compound manual transmission in a car. 6 speeds aren't enough if one actually intends to use the truck in such a way to require a manual.

>small pickup thread will always devolve into a manual/automatic debate

>Something that is constantly ignored is the ability for a manual truck to engine brake downhill while towing
user. What do you think these are for?

Autos don't really engine brake though. At least not to the same extent as they have freewheels.

Except modern ones do. They can sense inclines and acceleration not due to the gas pedal and compensate. All engine braking is is using the engine as a source of friction against the wheels.

My fucking F150 will downshift and engine brake itself down from passing speed with the cruise control engaged

yeah, but to manualfags, they would consider this the manual transmission for stupid people.

You can engine brake with a modern automatic transmission in like, a 2 ton car but it's not mechanically stout enough to do it if you're trying to engine brake a load truck or towing with a heavy trailer.

There is a reason real commercial trucks that haul shit don't have automatics.

Imagine a tractor with an automatic, lol. John Deere might even do it, hoping it would be sent to the dealership for services every few weeks.

Did you seriously expect a new manual truck to be sold in 2018?

blame the benchracers who think every automobile on Earth should be manual cuz muh hentai drifting pulps

You’re talking about a fucking exhaust brake aren’t you, dipshit

Again gear selection IS NOT engine braking.

Yes it is, you're trying to slow down on a hill and you shift into a lower gear to bring the engine's speed up and use it as a source of friction against the drive train that wants to accelerate.

A jake brake has nothing to do with the transmission. Go back to your homosexual parade motorcycle thread, idiot, we're talking about trucks here.

semi's are not consumer trucks. There are automatic transmissions for semi's that are only now becoming available because before in the 70's Allison couldn't make reliable ones. They were also very heavy and didn't have as many gears as others did.

also expensive as fuck

You very obviously don’t know what you’re talking about.

Jake brake does not mean exhaust brake.

Allison 1000s have some of the most aggressive engine braking of any automatic transmission in a truck. I’ve had people who driven standards for many years shocked how much those transmissions act like manuals. Automatics actually built for towing are obviously better then fucking junk sluchboxs in cars or cross overs.

Ranger SVT Raptor when?
>2.7 or 3.0 Ecoboost V6
>350-400hp
Also, Bronco when?

veryangrymanwhocantdrivestick.jpg

>I'm sorry dave, I can't let you shift.

>Only an itty bitty I4

DOA

I dd a manual

An auto with a suggestion box does not count.

What is the Tacoma?

The put a better motor in the Edge.

A crossover will have better towing and capacity than this thing.

What is the Frontier?

Also what is the Dodge Ram?

>square sheels

Yeah a new colorado is the same size as the early 2000's silverado

What is the colorado?

>Yeah a new colorado is the same size as the early 2000's silverado
No, it isnt, it's like 4 inches narrower. And several inches shorter, at least when you compare similar configurations.

No one makes a midsized single cab any longer, so comparing midsized extended cabattery to a full size single cab is disingenuous.

The only manufacturer offering a 4x4 manual is Toyota, and fully expect them to do away with it in the long overdue Tacoma redesign.

Does anyone know if the Colorado is body on frame?

I saw one of these in Mexico last year. It was a basic steel rims model but it looked like a pretty sweet rig.

Those are not Rednecks, those are suburban fake rednecks.

>Does anyone know if the Colorado is body on frame?
Yes it is. Only diesel option in the class and the ZR2 trim is the most capable off road trim in class as well.

Isn't engine braking not really effective on torque converters since the fluid slides over the tines?

have you never driven an automatic car in your life? Works completely fine

The bronco is coming back as a girly crossover. sorry m8, its disappointing

>muh manual
literally current year

I wish that option wasnt 40k plus.

Ill probably end up with a used v6 version in a few years considering how retardedly huge and expensive the Silverado has become.

What drugs are you on? The tacoma just underwent a major design change 2 years ago. Completely new drivetrain. Offers not one, but 2 manual transmissions.

My point being is that you lose potential braking power to slippage at the torque converter VS a normal clutch becuase the tines are tilted to propel the fluid and not the fluid pushing back on the TC

Try to keep up.

I was under the impression that it was a facelift, not a brand new design.

So what did they do to the motor and trans?

I even remember the spec sheet being the same.

Most capable is a stretch. At least with the stock ride height. Its approach angle is tragic. Get it up a few more inches and sit it on some bigger tires, and then it'll start eating tacomas for lunch.

I'll be surprised if i ever see any offroad though. That seems to still be mostly jap truck territory

>what it should've been

>what it actually is

everything is a crossover in the future

>4 cylinders
>four
>f o u r c y l i n d e r s
lmaoing@ford

The 4.0 is gone and replaced with a more powerful 3.5, but i believe the 4cyl is still the same.

The 4cyl offers a 5 speed manual, and the 3.5 offers a 6 speed manual. it's available at every trim level.

Id say it is, stock tacoma tires are trash.

Power train options , sans manual tranny, are superiour, ride height is better, has diff lock fron and rear.

The tacoma has better approach and weighs less, has only one locker

Theyre both good, but the Zr2 is much better package than the TRD pro.

Neat.
Toyota is going to likely corner the market with that option.

>automatic transmission with a 4 cylinder engine
>SOLE POWERTRAIN OPTION

Holy shit Ford you had one job to do and you absolutely fucked it.

The pro is absolutely a waste of money. If i remember right, its exhaust gains it 1hp over the standard TRDs, and i want to say it only sits an inch higher as well.

Basically, the pro gave us TRD offroad owners a neat line of accessories to choose from. The fox suspension is pretty neat, but the rest of it is straight up rice.

Not gonna lie though, i bought that skid plate for my truck

Tacoma offers two engines and manual or automatic transmissions. A V6 or a 4cylinder if you're jewish.

You can't compare the Taco to the Ranger, Toyota still smashes Ford.

And the Frontier I believe

Only in 2wd

Where is everyone getting this idea it won't be available as a single cab?

>literally a ford durango

>2WD truck

lmfao why even live

>Where is everyone getting this idea it won't be available as a single cab?
CAFE regulations weight fuel economy according to vehicle footprint, IE wheelbase*trackwidth, so OEMs have a disincentive to offer a short wheelbase regular cab truck, especially since they don't sell very well except to companies like Orkin.

>Ford Bronco
>spy photos
>4 doors
>melted soap blob
>bulging crossover proportions

I swear to God Ford...

>not bringing the diesel engine from the global Ranger

It's just going to be an Everest, eg. exactly the same thing the Explorer was the last year before it became a Taurus based CUV that only cops buy.

>be Ford
>have opportunity to release a contender to growing midsize truck market
>people have been complaining for years that there is no Ranger sold in America
>basically have a captive audience who don't want to mortgage their house for a Tacoma or settle for buying some nigger-tier GM product
>have infinite possibilities to sink your claws into this juicy market

>but instead you decide to recycle a fucking 10+ year old engine from the Mazda MZR series and strap a cheap turbo to it and offer a delicate 10 speed auto with baby-sized gears that will literally explode if you attempt anything difficult with the truck

>oh but you can add steel bumpers if u want guise

Because the first thing a heavy, underpowered truck needs is more non-payload weight.

All memes aside, is there any actual proof this isn't a new Durango or something? Is there an exposed Ford badge anywhere?

I thought the Everest was BOF, based off the Ranger? You think they're going to make the Bronco a unibody cuckover too?

inb4 4 cylinder turbo with automatic as sole powertrain option

What makes you think it's a Durange?

Google 'Ford Everest'.

That looks an awful lot like a Ford Ranger mirror, probably pulled right from the parts bin.

it's not like you're ever going to buy a new car in your life.

Literally the post above you.

>Introducing the ALL NEW Ford DuRanger, in partnership with Fiat-Chrysler and Shlomo Shekelstein LLC®, sponsored by Pepsi™ and Beats® by Dre™

That is LITERALLY a Ford durango, what the fuck

NIGGA HE POSTED *3 SECONDS* BEFORE ME

Reread my post, I mean it's going to be a BOF SUV like the old Explorer, not a unibody like the new Explorer.

It's still going to be ass though, the Everest sucks.

can see 'EVEREST' under the tape on the back

this gives me hope for the bronco

It's a shame knowing the Bronco won't look like this. I was hoping Ford would be evolving their style before 2020.