pastebin.com/yfUKx35f
>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/V7MzidCu

>Current oook competition
Druadan Ranger in FAangband
angband.oook.cz/competition.php

>News
InfraArcana v19 has been released: sites.google.com/site/infraarcana/downloads
IA v19 Changelog can be found here: raw.githubusercontent.com/martin-tornqvist/ia/v19.0/res/release_history.txt
Angband 4.1.0 has been released:
angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?p=122044#post122044
New 4.1.0 Oook.cz comp which no one from here will play:
angband.oook.cz/competition.php
URR (non-)update:
ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/2017/06/24/burnout-and-the-future/

>/rlg/'s shared DCSS online account
User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on Xtahua)

>in case /dcssg/ ever wants to play games other than crawl
roguenex.us/ (CDDA)
angband.live/ (Angband and variants, including PCB)
sites.google.com/site/infraarcana/home (InfraArcana)

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

rogueliketutorials.com/about/.
crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/yermak.html
youtube.com/watch?v=TAElbJmvO9Y
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

ONE NOTHING WRONG WITH ME

>85hrs in IA
>no Nigger-Man
uhhhh IAdev???

SPLAT

We really need a new FOTM
It needs to be something finishable but not ez.
Preferably mildly bloated so that there is something to talk about.

PCB?

It's beyond "mildly" bloated
Did recursive forks fix the terrible UI that requires setting up a macro for every spell?

if you want bad spell UI you gotta check out tome2
every spell in a different book, no way to inscribe them with specific letters/numbers so they're constantly changing around

Tangledeep!

Is shit!!!!

Fuck no
>bones stuffing as a core mechanic
>boring as fuck abilities
>Dredmor-tier mandatory tiles
>Dredmor-ish gameplay except for the good parts like stacking procs
>food recipes "you should note that down because good game design is stupid lol :)"
>tedious optimal gameplay involving jewishly hoarding heals, especially if you don't grab that +items perk/trait/feat
>item dream golden frog grind

It could make a mediocre FOTM to keep /rlg/ alive, but not much more than that.

i havent played it so i cant pass judgement on its gameplay but i will remind /rlg/ that nonfree software is not roguelikes

What would they even be like

A friendly cat that accompanies you in the first level

this desu

add a nigger class :^)

You just don't understand, do you? Tangledeep is a beautiful game in a sea of shit that is the roguelike genre. With its great sound, music, and colorful cast of interesting anthro characters it will create a deep and immersive world compared to the dull

it may be a beautiful game
it may even be fun
but nonfree software isn't roguelikes unless it's made by a german man named Thomas

non-free software is not roguelikes

How are you typing so well with a broken arm, Biskup?

in elona you can get oneshot from full hp by attempting to read a spellbook with your MP bar partially empty (say, after casting a buff that makes you better at reading spellbooks)
one of the results from a failed reading is being mana-drained for an amount equal to your max MP
but in elona your mana can go negative, and you take really high damage from it doing so that gets higher the more negative it is
luckily it isn't a roguelike so you just respawn in your house again afterwards minus a few stat levels and 5 or so random inventory items

ADOM is shit.

Is there anyone crazy enough to actually play Elona on Inferno?

I always liked reading shit about elona because how weird and crazy it is.

Pity about that video by that meme tard.

What meme tard? The guy that always puts a picture of a nigger at the beginning of every picture?

>a picture at the beginning of every picture

Oh no, I have become the tard

a picture of a nigger at the beginning of every video*

Who is this slut

not roguelikes

Sluts are roguelikes, just look at Noxico and Nethack.

tangledeep is the fotm

im sad the last rogue like general died, we were talking about a DTD roguelike

I saw it from the link someone posted. Did his video send a bunch of fucks to the thread on /jp/?

ive seen like 2 people actually post the game
everyone else is just shitpostan about it

>valid criticism is shitposting when I don't like it

arguing about whether a game is or is not a roguelike while literally 0 people in the thread are actually playing the game is, in fact, shitposting
and anyways it shouldn't be a tough argument to have, since it is self-evidently nonfree software

Page 10 bump

i'm playing tangledeep and you can't stop me

wow you died again

Man I love roguelikes so much. Endless entertainment provided by nethack and ADOM and angband to someone who had a 400mhz computer for way too damn long.

Had a bad day at roguelikes and at work today. But I'll do better tomorrow.

no you wont

>Had a bad day at roguelikes

play tangledeep dude

its so fkin comfy

sworddancer best class

i really wish the gameplay wasn't behind 15 dollars and a million furry OCs, it's so much better than tome/dredmor (the other roguelikes with xbox hueg skill systems)

>it's so much better than tome/dredmor
Pity that it isn't even that

Sorry for not replying for a while, I went on what was supposed to be a 5-hour hike/bushwhack that ended up taking 9 hours.

1) I'm only just learning python now, so it'll take me a little while to get to that point. My general plan is to complete the python + libtcod tutorial that they have up on roguebasin, then complete this one: rogueliketutorials.com/about/. Everything isn't in one file there, so I'll learn how to set the program up properly soon!

2) I've tested it quite a bit, and I don't think my sausage fingers are at fault - movement always seems to occur in doubles. A single quick tap up results in two "up"s, while holding the up button down results in some number of steps that, when divided by two, results in an integer. Your suggestion that it's my keyboard being fucky was interesting, so I plugged a USB keyboard into my laptop and gave it a go. The results didn't change - movement always resulted in an even number of turns being taken. I'm running what might be considered a non-conventional set-up (ubuntu 14.04 on a chromebook chroot), so maybe that has something to do with it. I'll install ubuntu onto my raspberry pi and see if the results are any different.

3) Thanks! I plan on tackling diagonal movement when I do the second roguelike tutorial. If the monsters aren't able to do diagonal movement in that tutorial, I'll send a message to the guy who's writing it - he seems pretty open to suggestions.

I saved the thread with your comments so I can refer to them later on if need be.

What role do you guys think RNG should play in roguelikes? Is there any shitty RNG that devs should avoid? What kind of RNG makes the game fun?

There's the obvious small-scale RNG that goes on in most, where you have some % chance to miss or where you deal between x and y damage. That seems pretty par for the course. There's also the RNG of how many items of what types you get on each floor, the floor layout itself, etc. Again, pretty acceptable - that being said, some games try to reduce variance by making sure that some items are guaranteed to appear on some floors (guaranteed 2 strength potions in the first 4 levels of Pixel Dungeon, for example). In general the RNG seems to be there so that the game can't be "solved" and to force the player to adapt to what the dungeon provides him.

100% rng everywhere and you dont even get to play the game it plays you

>Is there any shitty RNG that devs should avoid?
RNG in chargen before start, RNG regarding character's death (x% to die/not to die), RNG so complex that you can't hope to statistically model it without brute forcing it.

Examples:
>adom star sign bullshit
>adom startscumming
>PCB stat rolling with limits
>multiple instadeaths in Nethack
>indirectly: gnome with wand of death
>DCSS attack rolls, which involve so many rolls that they have to be balanced by feel, involving a ton of data and opinions from veterans

Basically, don't use RNG as a crutch for where you should use proper design instead.

>Good RNG
Enemies, enemy placement, items
Control on actions that don't consume finite resources
Example: Out of depth enemy spawns to keep even experienced players on their toes
Most spellcasting systems
Finding very strong items that change your strategy
>Bad RNG
"No you can't do that"/"No you failed because the dice says so"
RNG on actions that consume a finite resource
Stumping the player based on nothing but RNG
Example: Hidden doors in Infra Arcana sometimes where you'll have no idea where it's even supposed to be and you get stuck on the level. Oh, and kicking damages you too sometimes as an additional "fuck you".
Shafts in DCSS, especially ones that dump you into the middle of enemies that you're underleveled for.

>RNG regarding character's death (x% to die/not to die)
Doesn't this also ban all randomized damage rolls or evasion? E.G., "I'm next to an ogre and both of us are at low health. I can probably oneshot it, but if I miss or roll low it'll live long enough to hit me back and probably kill me."

Or do you only play Darren Grey's everything-dies-in-1-hit 7drls

Don't overthink it.
Just the death itself - don't have it on RNG. Anything that causes unavoidable death should be avoidable without relying on RNG.

>I'm next to an ogre at low health
It is your problem dumbfuck not RNG's

I know that this is a roguelite, but I think it's a good RNG example.

Hoplite has a level-up system where you approach an altar and are given a number of upgrades to choose from. The upgrades shown are picked at random from a pool. The next time you show up at an altar the pool of upgrades you can choose from includes some new ones based on the upgrades that you already have.

On the one hand, RNG can force you to take a certain path - if you want upgrade 'A' and only got B, C and D, then your long-term plan might be ruined. This could ruin the game for some people that want to play a certain build.

On the other hand it forces you to make do with the tools that you're provided, which seems to be in the spirit of the genre. Allowing the player to choose which upgrade they want tests their skill to some degree as well (which choice best suits my character?) - as players get better at the game, they'll be able to make the correct choice more often.

Is this good RNG or bad? Personally I think it's good, but only because games are short. BS RNG ruining a multi-day run wouldn't be fun.

>FeAs notices you sleeping.jpg

Yeah I know.
Same for "the greater ultradragon breathes instadeath", as long as it's in a game that gives you suitable means to detect and avoid the asshole before he gets into breathing range.

You can look at it from another perspective too: The game sometimes allows players to survive through RNG when they ought to have died from meleeing an ogre at low health or staring down the maw of a dragon.

what roguelike has the best loot mechanics? like, as close to diablo/torchlight etc as you can get

>best loot mechanics? like, as close to diablo/torchlight
Not sure if bait

>loot mechanics
>diablo

cmon grab dat brownie x1000 times

Diablo has shit loot mechanics.
You only think it's good because you got tricked by the skinner box loot treadmill.

rng should be enough to make sure that player surpasses his limits in order to win the game
pixel dungeon has 0 rng, you can win 100% time

How do I defeat a Hell branch in Crawl?
Everything was a breeze until Dis:7, had to be cautious during Dis:7 and suddenly 2 just 2 Hell Sentinels manage to kill me spaming that aoe spell

It's unlikely to be relevant, but I had a similar issue with DCSS a few weeks ago: every keypress was counted twice. Turned out to be a problem with UIM - or at least killing UIM stopped it.

Don't get hit

>dying less than 50 posts in

>Nigger-Man
are you implying that normal niggers, also known as african americans, are not people?
shitpost p10 bump
do niggers playrealroguelikes?

Is it possible to even go to extended game with a Spriggan?
Wouldn't everything just destroy you in hell and pan?

please spoiler bogdanoff pics, as they are the endbosses of many roguelikes

>tangledeep steals all its features from tome, right down to rare enemies with summons being impossible bullshit

Ask him
crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/yermak.html

user thats godlike, how are we mortals suppsoed to reach that level

>3255 games for yermak: sum(dur)=244d+0:41:17

go neet mode
play spriggans
abuse throwing nets and needles
gotta go fast

I've 15 runed spriggans plenty of times.

Either cast
Or run.
Actually just run and ninja shit.

You have turn a Ninja caster at some point right?
I cannot imagine completing Vaults by just being sneaky

noob here

And think of all that sweet xp you lose by being sneaky

Like so many roguelikes these days, it seems. Devs play DCSS and ToME and then when they create their own game, it's Steam/early access/no source/blah blah blah.

Who's creating the next great, free roguelike, with source available?

The only reason I tolerate Biskup is that we're born on the same day

Perfect then, the only reason I don't play tome is because I hate the masses of cannon fodder the game throws at you.

A lighter version with the same mechanics would sell it to me. I'm not touching early access though.

Don't read at nonmax mana, unless you're an elf
Also overcasting is a core exercise in training healing, mana regeneration and taking less damage from overcasting.

A roguelike with a big overworld map connected to several dungeons. The overworld would be of the kind of size where you need years of travel to reach the ends of the world. Injuries take significant time to heal if at all, and sicknesses can easily be lethal.

The goal would be, other than making sure you don't die to the foils of the dungeons, to make sure you can recover all the epic items of the dungeons before you die of old age

The twist is that the game is dwarf fortress adventure mode and the one who dies of old age is you IRL

Dungeonmans, that's why I hated it.

minotaur is shit

The thing is that there are already so many great ones, and that people with real skills would rather work on a different more unique or interesting project. The real question you should ask is what more you expect from the genre and why you aren't prepared to pursue it yourself

moo moo
mootherfucker

>waah put all this effort into making a game for me for free
What a surprise that the people with marketable game design skills are marketing them.

>just look at Noxico

Isn't that still a ded game?

>adom
>caves of cuck
>game design skill

Shall I go for it?

What server does he plays on? CBRO?

No

>ever considering any god but TSO
It's like you don't even want to purge evil.

I'm kinda afraid to choose a non healing god just beacuse I splatted at Hell with my DsBE because I did not switch to Makhleb for heals

Pick Okawaru or something and switch to TSO later.

Is this general only for r-like not r-lite?

Yes. Hello

youtube.com/watch?v=TAElbJmvO9Y

Where should I go then?

Haven't played DCSS in a while, were potions of cure mutation removed, or just as rare as experience potions now?

I've yet to find a single one playing trunk so far.

They are slowly removing everything good
Haste, resist mutation, rods, stay away from any version after 0.17