Is driving a CVT lame?

Is driving a CVT lame?

(Note that I didnt say "gay" because being "gay" is not being "lame")

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=x3UpBKXMRto
youtube.com/watch?v=7oSZAuCX-Es
youtube.com/watch?v=mE9iV92z0dc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

10 years ago? Certainly.

Now? It's fine for a daily driver.

CVT's are absolutely dreadful to drive.
>suck a lot of power
>FEEL like they suck a lot of power
>generally makes the car sound lazy and annoyed when you step hard on the throttle

youtube.com/watch?v=x3UpBKXMRto

Not my preference but it's a commuter car, if it gets you from A to B more power to you.

its lame when its CVT with manual mode aka dropping every advantage of CVT so babby can swap imaginary gears with paddles

Yes but in a car like the Fit its just pure utilitarianism but in Maxima its just retarded.

youtube.com/watch?v=7oSZAuCX-Es

>Is driving a CVT lame?
Only because F1 banned them. Imagine if they were still legal in that series, and that technology filtered down to street cars.

I spent some time driving my mom's minivan over the holidays. I was shocked at how well it managed to maintain its favorite one RPM regardless of speed, gear, and throttle demand.
>what is this supposed to be a powerglide or something

I don't remember it being quite that slushy when it was newer. But somehow when I hear a CVT drive by it really does just sound the the car woke up on the wrong side of bed by comparison. Makes me want to test drive a modern one just to find out if it's any better on the driver's end or just the latest trick to ruin cars in the name of .01 more MPG.

Great for luxury cars, can accelerate without any jerkiness, and keep 200kph with minimal revs.

it's pretty gay.

yes it's gay and lame. Unless its a single purpose very cheap commuter vehicle and you need to hold 2 large dildos in your hands at all times while driving, owning one is not acceptable.

modern ones are just as bad plus they explode after 40k

You are a gentleman and scholar.

I think CVTs get a bad rap because they are almost exclusively used on low end to mid-range economy cars where most of the people driving probably can't tell you what kind of engine they have, and for that market you're going to design and tune for fuel economy. There's also a lot of poor implimentation, good CVTs should at the very least hold you in the power band and smoothly accelerate . They can't hold up to high torque output, so we either need much better materials and/or designs.

Alternatively a modern low-torque but high reving engine would be interesting since maybe then you could really start to push performance but as far as engine design goes most of the industry has gone in the exact opposite direction. Other than really getting crazy with the engineering the only solution to the sound is to pump in sound like on the BMW i8. That's a cheat obviously, but I imagine if it objectively made the car sound better most people would prefer it.

That's one thing that bugs the crap out of me, there's no point in having a CVT with paddles the way it's set up now. Here's an idea, they should let you program in custom own gear ratios and set your own curve.

Last car was an 08' Lancer with the Nissan CVT....literally felt like the throttle was having a turf war with the CVT, insane amount of rubber band effect. Get a manual or at least a true automatic

is toyolexus HSD considered a cvt? or what is it?
feels superb, constant acceleration no matter the speed

So what cars have the best automatic?

Driving for lap times != driving for pleasure

wonder why they don't use them now? because they're shit

it's ok if you're too inteligent to drive stick but still pick up a lot of traffic jams and wants better mpg
Otherwise is real lame

Mazda

Mercedes

I'm not a fan. I borrowed my mums Nissan Rogue and it just felt like there was zero power delivered even when I floored it but if you're not looking for power and are trying focus more on fuel ratings and driving in a more traffic oriented environment I would say there's no issue.

That's good to hear since I'm looking to get one, any model and year in particular?

It's lame to drive an H-pattern and probably gay too because of how phallic a shift knob is. Sequential or CVT is the only way2b babe.

I know you're baiting but do you actually drive an automatic?

yes usually a car that is optimal for a good track time is really unfun and twitchy to drive.
But
comfy, safe, power != driving pleasure

Have a lancer with CVT (2.4l 4b12) It makes just the right amount of power that minimal throttle is needed 99% of the time, easy to cruise at 50-60km/hr and engine barely revs. Stepping on the gas it pulls rpm to around ~5600 and holds it there, its a gradual pull so it may not feel like you are accelerating but it does so at a pretty good rate once it gets within the powerband. It also has paddles (simulated 6-speed) which i only really bother using when on highway on-ramps if i feel it may be needed or to get the engine to actually rev (otherwise it spends 99% of its life below 2500rpm, usually around 1200-1600 with normal driving, around 2,000 on highway at 100km/hr). Fuel economy is also pretty good (6.5-7l per 100km highway, around 9.5l per 100 city driving) but at the same time it has enough go to feel a bit fun, but mostly its just ease of driving practically minimal throttle to keep speeds. No jerkiness from shifting at all, can be nice and quiet to drive when you want it to be. It's different from my older sister's holden cruze which i've driven a few times (1.8l same size sedan) which feels like an anaemic shitbox in terms of its conventional auto transmission and just overall bulkiness. Revs out loudly and goes nowhere.

youtube.com/watch?v=mE9iV92z0dc
Nah senpai

If theres a manuel option yeah youre lame as fuck for driving the cvt one. Kids these days are so fucking dumb, people wont be asking to drove your car if its manuel shit isnt hard

its not even a "nissan" cvt. Both mitsu and nissan's cvts are made by jatco. only difference is, nissan saw how shit they were and extended the warranty on them and mitsu did nothing.

Gay as in lame is spelled ghey, but pronounced the same way. Coined in like 2001, but nobody uses it.

Youre hella gay dude

I think word filters had a lot to do with the use of ghey. How much better is life when word filters just turn niggers and biscuits into wiggers and triscuts?

HSD twin-motor planetary gearset > mechanical CVT that will grenade in 50000 miles > mechanical CVT that tries to pretend it has fixed ratios

It's great. When you shift it in B going downhill you can pretty much use the bottom 1/3 of throttle travel to manually control the gear ratio. With the pedal all the way up it will choose a low ratio and rev high for maximum engine braking, then as you push the pedal in lightly the RPMs drop smoothly as it diverts less power to spinning the engine. It's fun to make the engine quieter by pushing the gas.

That mode is sort of a taste of what a manual CVT would be like.

I used to hate driving my ex's Accord Sport, but wasn't sure what was so fucked with the transmission (I didn't know much about cars at the time). I just looked it up and it has a CVT, that explains why the paddles didn't do anything and the car was more boring than my Jetta TDI.

wtf, they put a CVT in a Lancer?

My 125cc scooter has a CVT, I don't see a problem with it

Wouldn't want that shit on a car though.

Yeah man, probably one of the most souless cars I've ever driven, reliable as hell though, took at tree falling on it at 130k miles for me to get another car

Can this meme end? It's a big chunk of metal you own and must maintain. It's not enough for it to roll at the speed limit, brake back to 0, and not kill you. It also needs to be beautiful and enjoyable or you will hate your life because you're dumping hundreds to thousands a year on just owning it and keeping it in a state that won't kill you.

if you don't like your car you should get a car you like. If you don't like cars you should get a bike or take the bus.

>but as far as engine design goes most of the industry has gone in the exact opposite direction.

It's sad how they're doing it to motorcycles too. Apparently people don't like rev noises.