Is the E92 M3 as fun to drive as the E46 M3? What're their differences?

Is the E92 M3 as fun to drive as the E46 M3? What're their differences?

Other urls found in this thread:

m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=444126
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

bump

The min difference is that the E46 had a 333hp 6cyl while the E92 had a 414hp V8.

The E92 is the better car by every objective measure and the interior looks better, the exhaust note sounds better, and the sequential transmission is better than the one that the E46 had. It also has the distinction of being the only regular production M3 with a V8 (the E46 had a special homologation version, but that doesn't count).

Who cares when you've got el magnifico

What about the handling and driving feel/fun?

e92 is slightly more numb and a bigger, heavier car

>numb
well, let's be honest here, it's still an M3, and a very good one at that.

Really, both those are great cars and i dont anyone will be bored in an E92

i don't think anyone will be bored in any M car lmao

i've certainly never been. Just wanted to say "number than an E46 M3" doesnt mean it has become a landyacht

>e92 is slightly more numb and a bigger

Never drove the E46 but I test drove the E92 and the shifter felt flimsy to me. Almost felt like you could brake it off if you were really shifting with some force/speed. Also was kind of surprised how low the torque is for a V8. Other than that it was pretty nice to drive.

I didn't drive any of the automatic versions because why would you?

Having driven both e92 is more like a pony car than an m car. Its too big and fat with the v8 I'd much rather have the e46. Its the greatest m car for a reason

>torque

The S65 was based of the S85 which is a very overbored thing. 3 inch stroke to an almost 4 inch bore

You get mad revs instead

>muscle car
No. This is just a misconception. It's 100kg between them

>regurgitating auto journo trash
Protip the new version of any car is always "numb" or whatever. It is the only thing they can say that superficially or faintly seems negative to sound balanced, but no one will care about that anyway because the car is objectively better than its predecessor in every way.

The E46 and E92 M3s are no different.

>Also was kind of surprised how low the torque is for a V8.
That's because you're an idiot who thinks cylinder configuration makes a difference when in fact it's rod ratio, displacement, port size, camshaft, intake type, valve size, that makes an engine torquey or high revving.

The driving position and power delivery sure felt like a muscle car. There's also a 300lb difference what are you referring to?

i have to know what you compare that V8 to for it to feel like an american car. Cause it felt really agile to my E39 M5

Probably because your M5 weighs 2 tons

e36

Nice projection.

There are people ITT who unironically think that the E92 is more like an classic musclecar because of the V8 and heavier weight than the E46.

The reality is that the E9 actually handles better than the E46

I won't argue with anything you said other than the exhaust comment. The V8 M3 sounds horrible. I have one go by my workplace every day and I can't tell the difference between the M3 or a typical straight piped 4 cylinder.

>tfw wish i had a E46 M3
>SMG costs 20k and Manual costs 30k in Australia
>See some burger teengae stance swaggot fuck it
WHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

>The V8 M3 sounds horrible.
You're entitled to your shit opinion, but to think that the E46 sounds better is madness by all accounts.

>I have one go by my workplace every day and I can't tell the difference between the M3 or a typical straight piped 4 cylinder.
Probably because he has a shit aftermarket exhaust. Or maybe you're just retarded.

Reliability wise, which one is better? From what I have read the E46 M3 is suppose to be one of the most reliable modern-ish BMW's. Is that correct?

If you consider E36s modern, my vote would go to that. The US spec s54 has some of the same reliability problems that the s52 has. But then you also need to worry about valve adjustments, and the fact that power adders are incredibly expensive, if you can even find any. The car is literally 2-3 times more expensive to own.

All I know is I wouldn't daily drive a E46, but I would DD an E36.

E30 baby!!

what the fuck did they do to that poor car

TEENAGE STANCE SWAGGOTS
WE GOTTA GAS THEM ALL

That rebuttal doesn't work when you're spouting retarded drivel and someone puts you in your place

Typical of a child to think something like this. I didn't say "..because it has a V8", that was you reading into my post, ie projecting. Keep practicing interacting with people on the internet, you'll get there some day.

>twice the price of an E46 M3
Yeah maybe if you're into staring at a car instead of driving it. The E30 M3 is no longer a good choice for a driver's car, it's a collectible and is worth too much money to drive regularly.

cause they're cheap here

>Caring about a 15 year old BMW that you can't afford

Its his car he can do what he wants with, and he clearly has the money to do what he wants with it.
Stay broke

You implied it. Not even the person that originally responded to you but come on now.

I thought to convert to a manual you just had to change the shifter mechanism?

Poor car.

Whatever makes you sleep at night user.

I don't think so buddy is that why the e92 m3 gts was only 2 seconds faster than the e46 m3 csl over a 20km race track nurburgring that's embarrassing especially when the gts has even more power and loses weight yet 2 measly seconds bmw really dropped the ball with the e92 and why some bmw guys don't even consider it a real "m" car

>E92 is faster than the E46.

Thanks for proving my point.

You have to rev that V8 to 5k before it makes _any_ power, it feels nothing like the high displacement v8s in a Camaro or Mustang

>the exhaust note sounds better
It really doesn't. An e92 m3 sounds like a tahoe.
The e92 335i tunes is faster, sounds amazing and not like a tahoe, and is cheaper.
All it lacks is badge prestige and a body kit.

The e46 M3 also has what amounts ITB race engine in the best layout possible.
It sounds amazing.

the american e36 was a fucking travesty. Barely better than the 328i

S52's are dead nuts reliable.
S54's are maintenance intensive.

Use factory coolant, and change your oil frequently. The only thing that will fail will be Vanos.

Exactly, on every measure the E92 is better than the E46. If you like the looks of the E46, then get that one, since that's alright. But if you're cross shopping between the two, the E92 is the better car, no stop.

Talking about handling Nowhere in that post mention about speed, nice reading comprehension retardo

When you're talking about lap times, you're talking about speed.

Nice reading comprehension, retardo.

>It really doesn't.

I guess you could say that if you're in the minority that likes tinny 6-bangers rattling away.

PS: Tahoe with the 6.2L at full song actually sound pretty beastly. They are just programmed to be more muted when puttering along.

So now the question is...

E46 M3 or E92 335i?

335i, a lot of room for extra power if you're into that.

>m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=444126
>GRAND TOTAL: $1,232

Still worth it if it's fucked or you prefer manual.

And big end bearings at 150k+/- depending on how it's driven, upper chain guide tip tends to break too.

Do you like to spin on both wheels or one?

Literally Everyone knows the 1 series M is the spiritual successor to the M3 and the M3 moved up to M5 and the M5 became a new big boy cash snatcher. You’re making a silly argument imo but I guess you are right. The v8 M3 is a new car not an M3.

$1200 for a M3 gearbox swap is pretty cheap tb h
thats the same as a new set of tyres

you can modify a regular e30 to drive like a e30 m3, seems like the way to go

>Muh lap times!

Later:
>Th-this not about speed at all!!!

u wot

Yes because surely the e92 got that 2 second lead for it's amazing handling and not the more power it had over 20km race track top kek pathetic, that is my point and the point of that post talking about handling

>E92 is faster

Thanks for proving my point (again).

>car with more power is faster
Well no shit and nice moving goalposts when the original post was about handling nothing about which car is faster keep ignoring it